0 comments

Latinx Romance Contemporary

"I can make a u-turn and not go back to the house and just sell it, no strings attached. That's it."

Andy Channing parked her SUV containing some moving boxes and her loyal Pit Bull, Milo. She hadn't stepped foot at the Channing Manor in Oregon in a few years. After graduating high school and then moving to Baltimore for college at the University of Maryland, things have been different for Andy. She lost contact with her dad, Ralph, and his new wife, Zora since it was just awkward without her mom after she passed. Ralph and Zora moved to Canada to start fresh with a new property in Vancouver and left it to the property manager and landlord. It was not the same anymore in Oregon and mostly everyone moved from Oakridge.  

It wasn't until the property manager and landlord called Andy to inform her that the Manor was going for sale. The property manager wanted to see if Andy wanted to keep it, pay the rest off or sell it all together. This was the first time someone got her involved in this stuff.

'It was only for a week this summer,' thought Andy as she parked the Toyota Highlander and sat parked in the driveway.

It wasn't exactly a Manor. Ralph just called it that to give it some pizazz. It was just a luxurious home out in the woods near the Willamette National Forrest.  

Once Andy got out of her SUV she let out her pitbull, Milo to work around and get settled. The neighborhood of sorts looked the same. Same smell. The same modern take of a home. This was something Andy missed compared to a cramped up apartment in Baltimore with neighbors nearby. It was nice for a while.

In between carrying in her boxes, Andy lurks around the house to see if anything had changed. Nothing. It is the same exact place. Suddenly, there was knocking at the front door.

'Someone knocking? That was odd,' laughs Andy.

Nobody popped by around this area. Not even for coffee or a quick visit.

When Andy checked the glass door, she was encountered by a familiar face from a long time ago. He was looking down, not paying attention, and carrying a welcome gift — a bag of coffee, hazelnut creamer, and a heavy flask-like mug. A typical welcome gift in this neighborhood of sorts.

"Hello there, I saw that you are here— Oh My Gosh! Andrea Channing?" he says looking straight up at Andy. His smile widened with a little smirk and his brown eyes glistened in the sunlight. He had not changed in forever.

"It's Andy, now. Hey Joshua Pierce from Langford High School, right?" asked Andy.

"Yeah, it's Josh, now. What brings you back to Oakridge? I thought you were too cool for us."

"I could ask you the same thing."

[flashback begins]

It was like any summer before Andy left for college in Maryland. Spending time with Jenny and the girls by road tripping the Oregon Coast. Then, the quality of time with Joshua, her boyfriend. After growing up in the same town, same "neighborhood" and same homeschool with his aunt Nani; it did not surprise anyone in Oakridge that the two started dating.

A few days before Baltimore, Andy had been putting boxes and clearing out her room. She totally ignored everyone that day. Purposely. Andy could not deal with everyone's emotions and her own emotions and crying a storm before she left. She's brave. She does archery, Nerf gun combat with her friends, and hunts deer. Andy Channing doesn't cry.

Then while packing, a few pebbles hit the glass-protected window. It was from Josh.

"What can I get to be with my girl for a few hours?" yells Josh.

Andy looked out the window and opened it a bit, "I'm sorry, Joshua," she yells back.

"Today. Tomorrow. Next day. Come on 'Drea!"

"I can't do this," replies Andy.

"Do what, Andrea?"

"US. I'm sorry," Andrea closing her window.

"I'm sorry," Andrea sighs crying and sliding her back against the window, looking at a frame of her and Josh at the Eugene State Carnival.

[flashback ends]

'Josh Pierce hasn't changed a bit minus the physique and maturity,' thought Andy looking up and down Josh waiting for her to reply.

"Yeah, I am truly sorry about that time. I'm just handling some stuff here."

"It's alright, I got over it. So, I brought a welcome gift. However, I'm not sure if you drink coffee or not," laughs Josh awkwardly and passing the gift to Andy.

"Yeah, I got addicted to it in college, something about staying up late and cramming. Want to come in?" asks Andy.

"Sure. I have nothing much to do."

Once Josh Pierce stepped into the house all of his memories here flooded back. The constant smell of the house like teakwood and musky cologne. The sandalwood candles. The memories of running around the house with Ana as their dads were carving the deer they caught for dinner. Those were the good times.

"Nothing has changed around here," laughs Josh.

"Tell me about it. I might want to leave it like this, I dunno. Only if I stayed here longer or lived here," grins Andy shortly.

"So Andy, hm?"

"Yeah, my dad called me that as a kid, after my mom's passing and us ending-- I kept it as Andy or Drea. No, Andrea, it seemed too old for me and that was my mom's thing. "

"I get it, it's a nice change. So, I saw Zora and Ralph were selling this place."

"Mhm. They moved to Canada."

"Are you planning on moving back in?"

"I don't know."

Then, Josh decided to heat up some coffee as they talk about life. Nothing changed for Josh, He works for his dad as a manager of Chuck's Cabin Mart and Deli. He also runs a cabin rental near Willamette. He never got out of Oregon nor went to college. Just work and more work.

"Dating anyone?"

"No, not really. It's dead here for a social life."

"Oh."

"You?"

"No time. This painter just paints."

June 22, 2021 22:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.