Villain in love

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

12 comments

Romance Fiction Drama

“ You let her go again, didn’t you?”

 “What makes you think that?”

 “You’re smiling.”

 “So? I always smile.”

”Oh you never smile, so, it means you let her go. You let go the only person you have left to kill in order to get everything you’ve worked so hard for and I want to know why.”

“She got away, there was nothing I could do about it.”

 “Oh, come on. You don’t really expect me to believe that, do you? You’re the world’s greatest assassin, the guy every hitman dreams of being and the mastermind behind the most efficient crime organisation around, so why the hell are you doing it?”

 “ Doing what?”

 “Sorry, but playing dumb doesn’t suit you, answer my question.”

” Fine, if you must know — it’s because she’s different”

 “In what way?”

 “ that’s just the thing, I have absolutely no idea.”

” What do you—”

 “I think it’s her eyes.”

 “Well her eyes would probably look just as nice on her corpse—”

 “No. I like the sparks inside of them, how they look like a thousand little fireflies trapped behind green glass. How they shine with a sparkle so bright it’s as if she holds the secret of the universe in her gaze. Like—”

“What the—snap out of it Kei, you have to kill her.”

“I do. Just... not right now.”

“Good God... why now? Of all the stupid reckless—”

“Or maybe it’s her smile.”

“What?”

“I just don’t know how she constantly wears a smile. I mean, she nearly got run over by a car when I pulled her out of its way and then she looked up at me and gave me this smile and—” 

“Wait... rewind two seconds, you saved her?” 

“Yes.”

“You’re crazy.”

“Maybe”

“Do you regret it?”

“No.”

“God help us all.”

“It’s not like I try to help her, I just — I... I don’t want her to die.”

“Well too bad because you’re literally being paid to kill her and a lot at that too. Who made the order again?”

“Harrington.”

“Like the Harrington?”

“Yes.”

“You’re screwed.”

“I know that.”

“Then why don’t you just pull the damn trigger-”

“You think I haven’t tried?!”

“Hey Kei, I-”

“You think I haven’t killed her simply because I choose not to? It’s worse than that Leo. I physically can’t. Every time I pick up that gun, every time I put it into position and have her in view — something stops me. ” 

“Then let me do it, I can just—”

“It doesn’t make a difference.”

“But I can—” 

“She can’t die. I just can’t... let her die.”

“Well isn’t Harrington getting impatient?”

“Very.”

“What have you been telling him.”

“Excuses. Wrong range, too crowded. ”

“And he believed you ?”

“It seems that way.”

“But doesn’t he know you? Hasn’t he heard about your reputation?”

“I don’t know but I know he won’t keep buying it.”

“So you’re going to kill her then?”

“No.”

“ Okay fine, lemme’ put it to you this way Kei — it’s either your head or hers”

“I just need more time.”

“How long have you been assigned her?”

“Two months-”

“Two months?! Kei, this is madness — you have to see that, don’t you?”

“Of course I do. I’ve just never... I’ve never met someone who listens to every single person so earnestly. Like every word they’re about to say is going to change the world. She’s just... she’s—”

“Okay stop, if you keep talking, I just may put a bullet though your skull. You know you can’t protect her Kei — even if you don’t kill her, Harrington is just going to send another assassin. One that doesn’t find her eyes or smile or the way she listens to people nearly as fascinating as you do.” 

“I know but I don’t know how I can stop him.”

“Stop him? Kei, you can’t stop him. There’s no way in hell you can change her fate. She is going to die, whether it be by your hand, or someone else’s.”

“No.”

“Excuse me?”

“No, I’m not going to let her die.”

“I don’t think it’s your choice to make.”

“Well that’s a pity because I’m making one and it doesn’t involve her dying.”

“You’re going to get yourself killed.”

“Then I guess I’ll be waiting for you in hell.”

“I’m serious Kei — are you really willing to risk your life for her? How do you know she will even reciprocate these feelings you have for her? ”

“I don’t know Leo. I don’t know if she will ever notice me or possibly hate me for everything I’ve done but I have to save her.”

“You’re an assassin. A villain. You’re not a hero Kei, you never were.”

“I know but... she makes me want to be.”

“Want to be what?”

“A hero.”

“Oh God, how did you become so corrupt— hey wait, where are you going?”

“While you were cursing my morality, I got an idea”

“On how to kill her?”

“Opposite actually but at least you’re persistent.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Save her.”

“Cute but I was hoping more along the lines of a plan.”

“I’ll explain on the way. Come on.”

“Come? To help you save her? Sure, when hell freezes.”

“Oh come on Leo, you’re my best friend — I need your help.”

“No, you need metal help and I hardly feel qualified.”

“Leo.”

“No, just because you are making the biggest mistake of your life, it doesn’t mean I’m going down with you.”

“Fine, then at least promise to feed my cat.”

“W-what? Are you really planning on dying?”

“No. Well, yes but not literally. I’m faking my death... and hers. That’s the only way to get out of this.”

“Or... you could just kill her.”

“Leo.”

“Fine, in that case I will make sure Bubbles never has a rumbling tummy but make sure to cover your tracks and don’t get caught.”

“Please, I know Mr Harrington was fooled but I thought you knew me better.”

“I thought I did too but here you are, one kill away from getting everything you’ve ever wanted and you’re throwing it away for a girl.”

“ True yet as inexplicable as it may seem, I’ve never wanted anything as much as I want her”

“You barely know her”

“But that’s just the thing — it’s strange, how much you learn about someone when they think no one is watching. In those moments I saw the way she tucked the stray stands of her chestnut hair behind her ear, how she’d listen to the same song over and over again but still manage to mess up the lyrics. I saw the way she took too big a gulp of her coffee even though she knew it was too hot and the way she seemed to brighten up everyone around her. I saw it all”

“Yeah well, she sounds like an idiot.”

“Then I guess I’m an even bigger one.”

“Because you’re willing to risk your life for her?”

“No.”

“Then why?”

“Because... I love her.”

“You know... you really are the worst villain ever.”

“No I’m not and that is why I can keep her safe, why I know I can save her.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Oh Leo , you used to tell me this all the time, the only thing more dangerous than a villain... is a villain in love”







January 12, 2021 21:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

14:53 Jan 18, 2021

That's so beautiful! You definitely need to write the whole story!!!

Reply

Tia Jackson
16:23 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you ! I’m so glad you liked it. I will for sure write the rest of it. Thanks for the like and the comment

Reply

07:41 Jan 19, 2021

You're most welcome! I wish you all luck! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:41 Jan 19, 2021

You're most welcome! I wish you all luck! <3

Reply

Tia Jackson
09:26 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you. Same to you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:40 Jan 19, 2021

You're most welcome! I wish you all luck! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Boquet
01:48 Jan 22, 2021

Wow, this could be from an action movie. Throw in some action scenes and a meet-cute and we're talking instant classic. Great story.

Reply

Tia Jackson
03:56 Jan 22, 2021

Thank you! That sounds awesome! Thanks for the like and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
18:55 Jan 18, 2021

This was a great story. I found myself really engaged in it. I hope you keep writing, I can't wait to read more from you.

Reply

Tia Jackson
05:24 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for the like, comment and follow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Dicaire
20:10 Jan 19, 2021

Hello, I really enjoyed this story. It was face-paced and everyone has been there when they meet someone that touches their heart. Your story touched my heart. If you ever need an idea for a novel this would be it. Ever think of expanding it? Good luck with your future endeavours.

Reply

Tia Jackson
04:52 Jan 20, 2021

Wow! Thank you. That’s amazing to hear. I do want to expand it but I don’t know if it will work. I’d love to try though. Thanks again and the best of luck to you too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.