2 comments

Speculative

EXTRA INNINGS

If my life was a baseball game, the story I’m about to tell you would begin somewhere in the third inning. It was the summer of 1977 to be more precise, and near the end of a challenging decade for my home team—the St. Louis Cardinals. The dismal times were hard on most fans of the team, but not me, because that mediocre stretch of baseball was how I met my friend Willy.

William James Jonas was an elderly gentleman back in 1977, and would’ve been easy to pick out of a crowd thanks to the bright white shock of hair exploding out from underneath his ever-present, red baseball cap. There was never a need, however, because Willy and I were typically the only diehard fans sitting high up in Busch Stadium’s upper deck back in those days—he down on the railing and me several dozen rows back. The old man would be all by his lonesome after the first inning, when I would sneak down to an open seat in the lower deck.

That changed in August.

My favorite player, Lou Brock, was rapidly approaching Ty Cobb’s all-time stolen base record of 893, and the crowds were getting larger every night. The opportunities to move to an open seat in the lower levels dried up completely mid-month, and the best I could manage was to move down closer to Willy. After one game sitting quietly in the row directly behind him, I no longer wanted to move to a better seat.

There wasn’t one.

I first noticed the elderly man’s wizardry during a game with the Montreal Expos. Cards hurler John Urrea outdueled the Expos' Wayne Twitchell in a 1-0 victory for the home team, but that’s not what I remember most from that fateful day. Decades have passed since that warm summer night, but my hand still trembles as I write these words.

In the bottom half of the fifth inning in a scoreless game, the Cardinals had the bases loaded and only one out, and Twitchell fell behind in the count to Keith Hernandez 2-0. When Expos’ manager Dick Williams paid a visit to the mound to settle his pitcher down, I saw Willy jot something on his scorecard, place it on the empty seat next to his, and proceed up the stairs toward the third level promenade.

Hernandez ended the inning by hitting into a double play, and I watched closely when Willy returned to his seat. I’d been sitting behind him long enough to know the man was a meticulous scorekeeper, but he didn’t update his scorecard, even though he would’ve heard the disappointing end to the Cards’ fifth inning on loudspeakers scattered around the upper deck.

Willy’s odd behavior spiked my curiosity, so I studied his actions closely for the rest of the game by secretly peeking over his shoulder. In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve not told a soul what I witnessed on August 13th, 1977.

Until now.

I wanted to many times over the years mind you—partly as a sanity check, but mostly to share with someone, anyone, the magic I witnessed. It was such a simple thing really. As simple as a wrinkled hand scribbling a five, a dash, and a three in a tiny box on a scorecard before one of the best hitters in the league grounded out third-to-first—or ‘5-3’ in baseball scorekeeping terminology.

Did you catch that? I said before.

I’ll admit it didn’t sink in at first. I didn’t fully comprehend the magnitude of what I was witnessing that night. At first, it just seemed strange how the old man wrote down the correct entry on his scorecard shortly before a play happened. Okay…before every play happened.

The top of the sixth was a perfect example. Expos catcher Gary Carter led off the inning with a fly out to the right fielder, but only after Willy had written the number nine very slowly and deliberately on the scorecard. Larry Parrish struck out, and by the time Pete Mackanin ended the inning with a ground out to first, Willy had already recorded both outs on his scorecard and was busy pulling a cold drink out of his ever-present Coleman cooler.

The Cards went on the road after the Expo series, and Mr. Brock wound up setting the stolen base record while the team was in San Diego. By the time the Cards returned home from the long road trip to face the Chicago Cubs, I was seriously questioning whether I had imagined the whole episode.

I got to know the old man during the next homestand. The Pirates followed the Cubs into town, the crowds died down, and once again it was William Jonas and yours truly alone in the upper deck. He glanced over his shoulder and caught me staring at him during an afternoon game on September 15th,, and instead of getting miffed, gestured for me to join him in the first row.

We sat next to each other in silence through the top of the eighth, a tough inning because the Pirates scored four runs, two caused directly by Cardinal errors. Nine batters came to the plate that inning, and this time I had a front row seat to the Greatest Show on Earth—not a contest between two Major League baseball teams, rather the incredible way the mysterious man kept score.

For all nine batters, eight scheduled hitters and one pinch hitter, William James Jonas recorded the correct entry on the scorecard before each play happened on the field. He even went so far as to put a line through Pirates pitcher John Candelaria on the scorecard and pencil in pinch hitter Mario Mendoza, well before Pirate manager Chuck Tanner stepped out of the dugout and conferred with plate umpire Frank Pulli on that exact substitution.

I was too overwhelmed to say a word that night, and could only stare quietly at the concrete between my feet when the game ended. Willy left minutes before Card’s shortstop Gary Templeton grounded into a game inning force-out. I heard him say he’d see me tomorrow as he made his way carefully up the aisle, but I didn’t lift my head until a young attendant asked me to leave what was now an empty stadium.

I showed up the next night an hour early and grabbed a seat in the very top row of the ballpark. It was a least thirty rows behind where Willy normally sat, but he took the seat next to me when he arrived ten minutes before the first pitch. There was an aura about him that night, even more palpable than the night before.

If you ask big questions, you must be ready for big answers, so it wasn’t until the seventh inning stretch that I mustered enough nerve to ask mine. I don’t think Willy needed his special gift to know it was coming and, at first, he simply smiled.

“I love keeping score,” he said with a twinkle in his eye. “You might be surprised how far back my collection of scorecards goes.”

He smiled and returned his attention to the game, so I went back to watching his hands record play after play before they happened on the field. When the bottom of the seventh inning ended, he folded his scorecard shut, tilted his head back, and gazed up at the night sky.

“Look into the heavens, son,” he said, his words cutting through the thick night air like a sickle. “What do you see?”

I couldn’t turn away from the man’s face. I already knew what was in the night sky, but pondered what strange magic lurked behind those steel blue eyes.

“What you see is history. Look.” He pointed out through the arched opening behind me, so I turned and followed his index finger with my eyes. The sky above the Mississippi River was jet black and punctuated with a multitude of shining stars.

“Nothing your eyes perceive is really there,” he said in a matter-of-fact tone, “because the light you’re seeing left those stars hundreds or thousands or maybe millions of years ago. Not only are the stars no longer where you see them, they may no longer exist as far as we know.”

He went on to explain that the stars were so far away, it took that long for their light to reach our planet. Therefore, looking at the night sky was, in effect, looking far into the distant past.

It you extended the same logic, he reasoned, it was also true that what we witnessed taking place on the field happened before our eyes saw it in the stands—especially way up in the cheap seats. I grasped his logic, but it didn’t begin to explain how he could see a play happen so long before it did. He must have understood my confusion, because he scooted forward in his chair and rested his hand gently on my arm.

“Think of it like a telescope,” he said, his voice now just above a whisper. “It’s hard to focus on a target when it’s so far away like those stars, but every once in a great while that very thing you’re searching for comes into clear focus. Sometimes, you can see what you weren’t supposed to.”

That’s as far as Willy ever on went his gift, but I got the sense he it was further with me than he had with anyone before. I spent a lot of time with the old man over the next few summers, and often had coffee with him during the off-season. I learned very little about his life during that time, but a lot about the man. I eventually came to call him my friend, and would have been proud to call him my father.

The last time I saw Willy was on Friday, August 15th, 1980. Cubs versus Cardinals. Lynn McGlothen versus Silvio Martinez. My beloved Redbirds lost to the rival Cubs that day, but I lost far more than that.

William James Jonas, the world’s greatest scorekeeper, said he wasn’t feeling very well. He told me he wouldn’t be there for Saturday’s game, and to not count on him for Sunday either. I spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the final hours with my best friend.

Those events took place forty-five years ago, almost to the day, and I’m the old man now, sitting in the last row of Section 372 in the new Busch Stadium. My season ticket affords me an amazing view of downtown St. Louis and the familiar night sky.

A storm is brewing behind the right field bleachers as I watch the game, but I know it will miss us completely. I also know the game will go into extra innings, as I have, and that catcher Yadier Molina will win it for the Cardinals with a walk-off homerun in the thirteenth. I know that all thanks to William Jonas, just like I know I won’t be around to see Molina’s blast.

The attendant who picks up after EMT personnel leave with my lifeless body will most likely toss my scorecard into the trash, not realizing it was completed accurately through the bottom of the thirteenth. If he happens to find this letter in my pocket, I doubt he’ll notice it was signed by a dead man.

But there’s no time to concern myself with any of that right now. The ninth inning has ended in a 4-4 tie, and it’s time for extra innings.

END

December 11, 2022 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Susan Catucci
23:05 Dec 21, 2022

This is a dazzling story. I enjoyed every word from start to finish. You must be a baseball fan because love is infused throughout, from the relationship between the two men to their combined regard for the game and for each other. This was so original also in that you revealed the secret (or Willy did), whether it was something we could grasp or not and that alone gave the tale an appealing edge. Nice job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
03:13 Dec 19, 2022

Your take on this prompt is so refreshing and original! I loved your story and the magic of Mr. J! I especially loved how it passed on to the narrator, and how the explanation was so seemingly simple but so profound and logically impossible. :) Great story, Jim!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.