1 comment

Fantasy Sad Speculative

Prologue:


Existence bloomed with the first agonizing shriek of dawn. Not the triumphant cries of a new day, but the grating, metallic wail that sliced through the quiet of its void. Again it came, and again, a grating summons to a reality the kettle could not comprehend.


Aching coldness shattered with relentless bursts of heat, a searing pain that licked at its copper skin, danced in mocking patterns along its spout, and roared within its empty depths. It tried to scream in return, to beg for mercy or comprehension, but no sound could escape.


With each scorching intrusion, a horrifying awareness grew. It was trapped, immobile, a prisoner to sensations it could not name. It felt the rough hands that hoisted it, the slosh of water that filled its hollow belly, the shuddering vibrations that threatened to crack it open. These were not the gentle touches of creation, but the indifferent actions of beings who were unaware of its newfound consciousness.


Days, if that is what these cycles of torture were called, bled into one another. Time marked not by sun or moon, but by bursts of fire and the slow, chilling decay in between. The hands changed – some clumsy, some hurried, some heavy with a dull anger that sent tremors through its very form.


There were fleeting sounds, voices like echoes that held no meaning. Each time it hoped, yearning for some recognition, a sign that its silent screams were heard. But the voices faded, and the world remained agonizingly indifferent.


Worst of all was the silence. The endless stretches where the only sound was a mournful hum within its own metal shell – a lament born from the crushing isolation of existence without understanding. It was a creature forged in fire, awakened to a world of terrifying indifference, and doomed to endure it all, voiceless and unseen.



A Measure of Silence


Matej Novák wasn't one to complain. Not that there was anyone to complain to, and certainly not anyone who would care. He had learned early on that being the eldest meant being invisible. His younger siblings, Zuzana, with her bright braids and demanding voice, and Filip, whose toddling antics were enough to charm the coldest heart, soaked up their parents' attention like thirsty plants. There was precious little left over for him.


Most days, Matej blended into the background. It was safer that way. His father, Lukáš, was a man whose moods swung like a pendulum, from jovial to harsh in the blink of an eye. One wrong word, one clumsy movement, and Matej would feel the sting of Lukáš's sharp tongue or the back of his hand. His mother, Elena, with her pale face and eyes as distant as a fading star, seemed to exist in a world of her own. She was neither cruel nor unkind, just...absent.


An invisible child in an increasingly modern home, Matej clung to the few fragments of the old ways that remained. His grandmother, who had passed before he was born, had spoken of a time when charms adorned the windows and whispered prayers mingled with the scent of baking bread. Lukáš scoffed at those stories, replacing a faded cross carved from linden wood with a plastic crucifix from the town church. Matej mourned the loss, not out of devotion, but because it felt like a piece of himself was being chipped away.


One ordinary afternoon, an extraordinary thing happened. The kitchen was filled with the usual chaos - Filip banging on pots and pans, Zuzana chattering about a lost ribbon, and Elena chopping onions with a furrowed brow. Steam curled from the stove, where the kettle, a squat copper giant with a tarnished spout, had been simmering. It was Matej's job to refill it, a task he usually detested as the weight was often more than his thin arms could bear. But this time, something felt different.


As he approached, the usual whistle of the kettle failed to come. Instead, there was a soft, mournful sound, almost like a whimper. No one else seemed to notice. Zuzana's chatter continued, Filip's banging reached a crescendo, and Elena hummed a distracted tune. But Matej stood frozen, the hairs on his arms prickling.


The sound came again, a choked sob that echoed something deep in his own chest – a loneliness he had never been able to voice. Curiosity overcame caution, and he took a step closer. With a trembling hand, he touched the curved side of the kettle. It was warm, of course, but not scalding. His fingers traced the intricate etchings, worn smooth from years of use, and he felt a strange thrill course through him.


"Matej, daydreaming again?" Lukáš's voice boomed through the room, snapping him out of his trance. "The kettle's dry, boy. Get to work!"


Matej jumped, nearly dropping the pitcher of water. As he scrambled to fill the kettle, he risked a glance back. The soft cries had stopped. He carried the kettle back to the stove, a sense of unease settling over him like a heavy blanket. But a flicker of something else, something akin to hope, glimmered inside him.


That night in the cramped bed, squeezed between his siblings, the image of the kettle lingered in his mind. The mournful cries resonated in his ears, and for the first time in a long time, Matej didn't feel quite so alone.



The Language of the Unheard


The kettle became Matej's confidant. He would slip away to the kitchen whenever he could, drawn to its comforting presence. His fingers would trace the intricate etchings on its burnished copper, the cool metal whispering secrets only he could hear. The kettle didn't speak with words, but with sighs and whimpers, with the hollow echo of its empty belly or the soft gurgle of boiling water. Matej understood. This was the language of loneliness, the vocabulary of unseen hurts.


In these stolen moments, Matej would pour out his own heart. He spoke of the taunts at school, the ache of a bruise his long sleeves couldn't hide, the pang of wishing someone would remember his birthday. The kettle never offered solutions, never chided him for his timidity. It simply listened, its mournful cries a balm to his wounded spirit. It became a ritual, a daily pilgrimage to the only place where he felt truly understood.


With the kettle as his anchor, Matej began to notice things he had overlooked before. The flicker of worry in his mother's eyes as Lukáš's voice rose. The way Zuzana would sneak him a leftover cookie, a silent apology after a fight over a toy. Filip's clumsy attempts to hug him, a clumsy language of affection far removed from Lukáš's brusque nature. They were tiny flickers of warmth in a world that often felt cold, yet they were enough to kindle something in Matej – a stubborn flicker of hope.


His curiosity about the old ways his grandmother had spoken of grew alongside his newfound connection with the kettle. One dusty afternoon, he climbed into the attic, a forbidden realm filled with forgotten treasures. Cobwebs clung to a painted wooden chest, and inside, Matej discovered a faded apron embroidered with symbols he didn't recognize, a worn book filled with handwritten recipes, and a small pouch of dried herbs that smelled of earth and sunlight. He ran his fingers over a faded photograph of his grandmother, her smile as warm as the sun. Here, in this forgotten space, he felt closer to her than ever before.


The kettle throbbed with warmth when he brought the treasures down, its mournful cries seeming tinged with an insistent melody, as if urging him to remember. It was then he truly understood the kettle wasn't just his ally. It was a piece of those old ways, an artifact scorned by his father but imbued with the love of those who came before. The kettle's cries, he realized, weren't just of loneliness, but of defiance, a rejection of Lukáš's dismissal of their heritage.


One evening, as the house hummed with barely contained tension, an unexpected moment brought everything into sharp focus. Lukáš's face was flushed, his words like thunderclouds before a storm. Elena's lips were a thin line, her hands fluttering nervously. Matej held his breath, waiting for the inevitable explosion. But then, Zuzana, in a fit of uncharacteristic bravery, reached for her father's hand. Her touch seemed to break a spell. Lukáš's features softened, and he knelt, pulling her into a clumsy hug.


Matej watched, a wave of unfamiliar warmth washing over him. It was a fleeting moment, a tiny crack in the wall they had built around themselves. Yet, it was undeniable proof that beneath the hurt and resentment, love still lingered.


That night, as he whispered to the kettle, a new emotion tinged his voice: determination. It was time to heal, to find a way to build a bridge between the old and the new. And perhaps, just perhaps, the kettle, his silent companion, held the key.



Beyond the Break


In the heart of the house, the kettle thrummed with a strange energy, as if sensing the storm brewing within Matej himself. He had taken to leaving small offerings beside it – a handful of dried lavender from the attic, a few wildflowers picked on his walk home from school. At first, his family ignored his subtle tributes, but as Matej grew bolder, so too did Lukáš's anger.


"What nonsense is this?" he roared one evening, scattering the herbs to the floor. "Do you take me for a fool? This pagan garbage has no place in my home!"


Elena wrung her hands, her eyes fixed on a crack in the ceiling. Young Zuzana and Filip stared at Matej in confusion. His heart pounding, Matej tried to explain, to weave together the stories of his grandmother and the silent wisdom of the kettle. But his words stumbled, clumsy and unconvincing.


Lukáš was beyond reason. His face was the bruised purple of a summer storm, his eyes blazing. "My own son," he spat the words like venom, "turning his back on God, on everything I have tried to teach you. You are a disgrace."


Before Matej could respond, a single word cracked through the room, the final blow that would shatter everything he thought he knew.  "Leave."


The word hung in the air, heavy as a tombstone. Matej looked at his father, then to his mother, her face a mask of strained neutrality, then to his siblings, whose eyes were wide with a fear they didn't understand.


And then, with a quiet dignity that surprised even himself, Matej turned and left the room. He didn't cry. Tears felt too small, too inadequate for a wound that ran bone-deep. In the echoing quiet of the kitchen, the kettle began to weep. Its cries were soft, heartbroken, yet laced with a fierce defiance.


He found refuge in the attic, the forgotten kingdom now his sanctuary. The kettle was there too, carried upstairs in his shaking hands. Its cries seemed to fill the space, echoing his own silent anguish.


Elena never came for him. Zuzana, after a timid knock, fled at his stony silence. Filip cried for a while at the door, but even his childish wails eventually faded away.


Days bled into weeks, weeks into a season. Matej survived on bread crusts and rainwater. He talked to the kettle for hours, the sound of his own voice a shaky comfort in the face of overwhelming isolation. He read his grandmother's recipes, tracing the faded script with a finger, feeling the warmth of her presence in the gentle instructions. The herbs and flowers on the attic floor formed constellations he studied late into the night, seeking meaning in their patterns.


In the heart of the house, the kettle's cries never ceased. It wept for a broken boy, for a stubborn man blinded by his own certainty, for a family torn apart by fear and tradition. It wept for a love that lingered beneath the ashes of betrayal.


And one day, Matej realized that he was no longer weeping with it. The pain remained, a dull ache that would be his constant companion. But within that ache, a stubborn strength had taken root. He was alone, truly alone, yet unbroken. The kettle, silent witness to his sorrow, was now the keeper of his resilience. The warmth of connection he longed for resided not in the fallible bonds of family, but in the enduring embrace of a heritage they tried to erase.


The attic window became his portal to the world, the setting sun his clock. He watched his siblings play in the yard, their laughter a distant echo. He saw his father leave for church each Sunday, his back rigid and unyielding. He saw his mother move through her days like a ghost. And through it all, the kettle sang its mournful lullaby, a timeless melody of loss and the quiet strength borne from enduring it.



*****


The church bells tolled, their somber chimes echoing the dull ache in Matej's chest. Sixty years was a chasm of missed moments, a lifetime of unspoken words. Even now, surrounded by the trappings of somber respect, all he could feel was a poignant sense of what might have been.


His own son, Tomáš, stood beside him, a silent pillar of support. Grandchildren with his own hazel eyes darted between mourners, their joyful energy a stark contrast to the occasion. Somewhere in the crowd, his siblings Zuzana and Filip murmured platitudes, their faces etched with lines he had nothing to do with carving.


Lukáš Novák had never changed. Stubborn to the end, he had clung to his righteous anger like a shield, deflecting every one of Matej's tentative attempts at reconciliation over the years. Birthday cards returned unopened, Christmas gifts left unacknowledged. It was a wound that never truly healed, just scabbed over, the throb beneath a constant reminder of the father he couldn't reach.


Zuzana, bustling and sharp-tongued even in her grief, would surely corner him afterward. "Why didn't you try harder, Matej?" she'd ask, her voice laced with a disapproval that stemmed from her own ignorance of the rejection her brother had quietly endured. Filip, more subdued, would offer mumbled condolences, a flicker of childhood warmth in his gaze the only indication he remembered a time before the rift tore them irrevocably apart.


Elena was a shadow at the edge of his vision, pale and spectral, a silent echo of the absent mother she had always been. He saw the tremble of her hand as she clutched a rosary, the same rosary she'd held as he left that final time so many years ago.


The priest's eulogy was a blur of familiar verses interspersed with stories Matej knew held only fragments of truth. There was no mention of the kettle, of course, nor the attic shrine to traditions disowned. Those were secrets held between a boy and the ancient copper vessel that still held a place of honor in his own kitchen; relics of a past his children had embraced with open hearts.


As the final hymn faded, Matej slipped away from the crowd. His family would linger, sharing memories and platitudes. But for him, the farewell came near the weathered stone angel in the churchyard, where sunlight spilled over the inscription bearing his father's name. He knelt, placing a single wildflower, bright yellow against the gray, atop the cool granite.


The kettle's lament echoed in his mind. It was no longer a song of anguish, but a timeless melody of lineage and strength – a legacy far more enduring than the bitterness that had stolen a father from a son. He closed his eyes, picturing his grandmother's gentle smile. Perhaps, one day, Lukáš would find her among the ancestors, and they would understand the tragedy of stubborn pride and wounds left unhealed. He and the kettle would preserve and endure, teaching his own Son and his children the old ways.


"It hurts still, doesn't it?" the kettle's voice broke the silence, a comforting presence in his confusion of emotions.


Matej nodded, his gaze fixed on the simple flower that bloomed defiant against the stone. "But there is another kind of hurt now. A quiet one."


"Regret?"


"Perhaps," Matej mused, rising to his feet. "But perhaps, it's simply love, with nowhere left to go."

February 27, 2024 19:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Aly Jester
23:19 Mar 03, 2024

Wow. This story is incredible. At first, reading the prologue, I was wondering where you were going with it, unless your singular goal was to make readers suddenly feel bad for their pots and pans (which I admit, I did). Then, the real story unfolded.. I think I'm just speechless at this point. Brilliantly done. I am definitely looking forward to reading more from you. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.