20 comments

Funny Sad Friendship

Run Through the Tape

“You should laugh every day.”   - Jim Valvano

It’s hard to make a hospital room look homey. Too much white- walls, ceilings, sheets, even the attire of the doctors and nurses. And a little heavy on metal- the frames of the bed and chairs, cabinets, dinner tray, door, the TV bracket, the light fixture above, and the steel pole holding the bags that occasionally pumped life-sustaining and pain-killing fluids into Carl. Nothing soft and colorful, a scarcity of anything that would remind one of wood. A square box designed to treat the body without the comforts of home. There was but one bright spot in this bleak setting- Carl.

“Good morning, Carl.”

“Good morning, Nurse Ratched. Take any blood from any sleeping patients last night to sell on the Black Market?”

“No, but I did draw the short straw this morning so you’re on my patient list again today.”

“Great. I get the only nurse who keeps my bedpan in the freezer.”

Laurel and Hardy, Martin and Lewis, Abbott and Costello, Carl and “Nurse Ratched”, known to hospital staff as Catherine. She never had a patient like Carl, and he never had a nurse like Catherine. It was a true symbiotic relationship. Carl was a funny guy his whole life, and it wasn’t often that he’d encounter someone that could match his wit and sense of humor. Many of Catherine’s patients were on Death Row, and she needed someone or something to occasionally lift her spirits. God will often put people where they need to be.

---------

Visiting someone who is dying is tough. It’s even more challenging when the person knows he’s dying, and he knows that you know he’s dying. That can make conversation difficult. There are exceptions.

“How’s he doing today, Catherine?”

“He’s a special guy, Tom. I’ve never seen such an attitude in anyone in his circumstance. He’s flipped the script. He keeps me going.”

Tom smiled.

“He’s been the same ever since high school.”

“Hard to believe he was an accountant. He should have been a standup comic.”

-----------

“Hey, Carl. How come you don’t have the Cubs game on?”

Normalcy is what Tom aimed for, but there need to be certain guardrails. Never say things to a dying man like, “How are you doing?” or “It sure is a beautiful day”, or “How do you feel?” It’s a difficult task, but try to keep it in the area of the ordinary and appropriate.

“Crap! I forgot.”

Carl grabbed his remote, the one thing left in life he still had any control over, and turned on the game.

“Damn, they’re down six to nothing, and it’s only the 2nd inning. Since they only win a World Series every hundred years, I might not see another one.”

“Shit, from what I hear, you may not even see another game.”

“The sports gods will finally put me out of the misery of being a Cubs fan.”

“Nurse Ratched says you should have been a standup comic. Maybe a little late for that, but I’ll check around to see if anyone is in the market for a lying-in-bed comic.”

“Thanks.”

Best friends since high school where Carl was the quarterback on the football team. It was an unfortunate circumstance that Carl’s room came with a view of the high school and the surrounding athletic fields. Two short blocks away, but an eternity in time. It broke Tom’s heart whenever he came to visit Carl and found him sitting in his chair and peering out at the scene below. He knew what was floating around in Carl’s mind. Tom would join Carl at the window.

“I remember it well, Carl. The north end zone, playing Lincoln for the league title. I still can’t believe I was able to catch that duck of a pass you threw to me to win the game.”

“Oh, my God, Tom. There you go again. That pass was on a dime. The real miracle was that you somehow managed to catch it. I think it got stuck in your facemask. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a bale of hay once in a while.”

---------

Nurse Ratched was disturbed to see the empty bed and Carl in his chair next to the window.

“Dammit, Carl! I told you not to move to your chair without help.”

“Oh, like I’m going to worry about skinning my knee or something?”

“You could pull a tube out, or fall and hit your head. Well, that might actually knock some sense into you. And I don’t want to see any more beer cans in your waste basket. That friend of yours can be as difficult as you are.”

“How long have you been married?”

“Twenty-three years. Why?”

“Your husband must be a saint to put up with you for all those years. I’ve only been under your thumb for a week, and I’m already going woo-woo. Who do I call to try to get a new nurse in here?”

“Good luck with that. I wasn’t going to tell you, but some of the nurses on this wing have been circulating a ‘Do not resuscitate petition’ for you. You are so lucky to have me.”

The giveaway smile, two of them in fact.

“Blessed.”

----------

“Jesus Christ, Carl, did they stick some new tubes in you?”

“How the hell would I know?”

“Listen, Carl, on the way here, I overheard a couple of doctors talking about how they’re getting a little overcrowded here.”

“So?”

“So, if a guy in a white coat with a rifle asks you to step outside the back of the hospital, don’t go with him.”

“With my luck, the guy would probably just wing me, and I’d be worse off than I am now. I’d ask you to do it, but if you can’t hit a freaking deer, you’d probably miss me too.”

“Hey, that was a long shot and the damn thing was on the run. You’d be a piece of cake. Hell, I’d even give you a head start.”

“I can see it now, me sprinting through the parking lot, dragging my IV thing on wheels around with my hospital gown flapping in the breeze, and you emptying an AK-47 without hitting a damn thing.”

“I’ll take that bet. I’ll see if Nurse Ratched can set it up for us.”

“Maybe we could charge admission.”

----------

“Man, Carl, there are a lot of really pretty nurses working at this place. How did you manage to get stuck with Ruth Buzzy.”

“She’s ok. And besides, they did have some hotties coming in here, but they all kept hitting on me. I told them it was getting to be annoying, so they sent the old married doll in. They figured I’d be safer.”

“Right.”

“I’m not kidding. They’d line up at the door and tell me they needed to practice giving hernia exams. You can understand that a guy like me has to be careful. Women have always been trying to take advantage of me. That goes all the way back to high school.”

“I don’t quite remember it that way. In fact, the rumor was that your mom paid Suzy Anderson to go with you to Prom.”

“Ha! I had so many girls after me that I remember you following me around just hoping to catch some of my runoff.”

“I’ve got to talk to Nurse Ratched. These meds are messing with your mind.”

----------

“Hello, Tom, I’m glad you’re here.”

“Good afternoon, Nurse Rat… I mean Catherine. Sorry.”

Nurse Ratched shot a quick glance at Carl who turned his head away and pretended he wasn’t there.

“Tom, I was going through Carl’s paperwork, and I was surprised we don’t have a Health Care Power of Attorney on file for him. That document authorizes someone to make health care decisions for Carl, you know, if he can’t make those decisions himself.”

Carl had been through a lot in the past year, but those words, spoken at this time and in this place, hit him hard. ‘Can’t make those decisions himself.’ What happened? How did all the years pass by so quickly? Propped up in his bed, he could see the 2nd floor of his high school. A thousand events that took place in that old building ran through his mind. It was troubling for Carl to contemplate the idea he was now less of a person than he once was, unable to make decisions for himself. Sometimes funny gets devoured by reality.

“And Carl wants you to be his health care agent. Is that ok?”

“I guess.”

Tom was also struck by the significance of the document, its serious message underscoring Tom’s condition. We are all but temporary players upon this stage, and Tom was well aware of the fact he and Carl were the same age. The end comes for all of us.

Nurse Ratched went on to describe the purpose and procedures involved in his potential role of Health Care Agent.

“And you would have the authority to discontinue the use of feeding tubes, IV’s, or other life-sustaining devices.”

“Do you have one that says don’t even hook him up in the first place?”

Funny was making a comeback.

----------

If Carl winced in pain, Tom suffered. If Carl looked sad, Tom felt depressed. If Carl looked out the window, Tom was blocking downfield for his friend. He felt so helpless. How could his friend be lying there, his body eroding from within, and no one could do a thing about it? It’s unsettling when death, the one thing we can be sure of but never speak of, approaches.

“So, these are the Golden Years, Tom?”

Tom smiled and shook his head.

“Do me a favor, Tom.”

“What’s that?”

“Find the guy that coined the phrase ‘The Golden Years’, and kick him in the shins…like a couple of hundred times.”

“You’ve got my word on it.”

----------

The look on Catherine’s face left no need for comment. The end was near.

“Is he in pain?”

“He never complains. He’s taken a bad turn, Tom. It won’t be long. I’m glad you made it here.”

Tom opened the door slowly, fearing the final meeting. Having known the outcome for months didn’t make the moment any easier. He would soon be saying goodbye to his dear old friend.

Everything was different. The room was quiet and the mood somber as he approached Carl’s bed. Tom felt weak, unsteady, and uncertain as to what to say and how to say it. Carl lie motionless with his eyes closed as Tom remembered his friend as a teammate on his high school football team, his golf partner, his fishing buddy, his friend. It hurt to see the withered shell of the man he once knew

“Carl, it’s me, Tom.”

Carl’s eyes opened slightly, and he turned his head toward Tom.

“Hey, Tom.”

“Carl, I know we joke around about everything all the time, but I want you to know that…”

“Tom, don’t go there.”

The tone was surprisingly stern, and the words were left dangling in Tom’s mind.

“Tom… do you…do you remember our track coach… back in high school?”

Now Carl’s voice was soft, weak, every word spoken with effort.

“Old man Barnes. Sure, why?”

“What did always tell us… before a race?”

“He would tell us to run through the tape.”

“That’s right, Tom… run through the tape. That’s what I want to do… I want to run through the tape. I don’t want… to be talking about death… and a bunch of sad crap now. I want to live until the last moment. I’ve been running this race… for a long time, Tom… and I’m not going to pull up short of the finish line… I want to live until I’m dead… Do you understand?”

Tom closed his eyes and nodded his head.

“I understand.”

“Listen, Tom, I…just might need… a little bit of a push, a little shove…you know… to help get me there. Maybe something funny. Yeah… I don’t think I laughed… about anything today. What do you got?”

Tom reached down deep into his memory bank and pulled out a Golden Oldie.

“Junior year, our regular group at the lunchroom table. Henry Harper said something you found annoying. You got up, walked behind him, and mushed your Suzy Q in his face. You took off like you were running the hundred, and old Henry whipped his plum at you. It missed, hit the wall, and splattered all over the Assistant Principal. Harper was sent to the Principal’s office, and you got off scot-free.”

A smile on Carl’s face as he broke the tape; tears in the eyes of Tom… and Nurse Ratched standing in the doorway.






June 22, 2023 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Allan Bernal
23:36 Jun 28, 2023

Incredible mastery over tone, man, what a story, thanks for sharing

Reply

Murray Burns
19:56 Jun 29, 2023

I appreciate your reading it and your comments. I try to keep that Jim Valvano quote in mind...and try to laugh about something every day. If you haven't seen it, try to catch his ESPY's Courage Award acceptance speech on You Tube,,,the little longer version showing the poor guy being helped on and off the stage...he's dying of cancer but delivers such an upbeat message. It's inspiring. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:37 Jun 24, 2023

What can I say except what a great story, Murray. It covers a serious subject in a human and humorous way and aptly demonstrates the power and love of true friendship. Good characterisation of a great nurse too. A difficult subject well-handled with some fantastic lines.

Reply

Murray Burns
17:03 Jun 24, 2023

I appreciate your reading the story and your comments. Check out Jim Valvano's speech in the 90's as he accepted the Espy award for courage..You Tube...the longer version which shows the poor dying guy being helped on and off the stage. His attitude is amazing...his message... whatever is going on..."Laugh about something every day." Thanks

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:24 Jun 24, 2023

I watched it and found it inspiring. I work for a big cancer charity in the UK and see many amazing people go through it and am daily humbled by their bravery and determination. There is something significant about the three things he spoke of. He clearly lived life to the full and had a passion for every moment. What a great human being!

Reply

Murray Burns
19:34 Jun 24, 2023

He was the basketball coach at North Carolina State College. They were big-time underdogs in the NCAA Championship game. His team won with a shot at the buzzer. There is a classic video of him at the end of the game...he is SO EXCITED, running around the court looking for someone to hug. One of the big cancer fundraising groups here is the "V Foundation"- ESPN TV is a big sponsor. I can't imagine the courage and strength some people have to know they are dying and to keep going. I think I'd crawl under my bed, weep and curse the world.

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:41 Jun 24, 2023

Wow! The human spirit is truly amazing. The people I see don’t tend to give up. Some of them have survived cancer and are still alive twenty years later. Others get a lot less time. I liked the fact you injected humour into your story. Laughter is said to be the best medicine, after all.

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:46 Jun 24, 2023

If you have time, give my story Lost and Found a read. It’s loosely based on a cancer survivor who inspires whenever I see her. I asked her permission if she minded me writing it. She’s 80 years old and full of life. A lovely person with many friends.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Murray Burns
19:55 Jun 24, 2023

I get some of this stuff from real life experiences...My 65 year old dad had surgery...all hooked up on tubes in the hospital...and his high school buddy hobbles in with those metal things on his arms to assist with walking..and said, "So, these are the f'ing Golden Years." And I have cautioned my older brother about not stepping outside the hospital with a guy with a rifle. You've got to try to smile...For some reason that Jim Vavano speech has stuck with me all these years...find something to laugh about every day...I try to do my part. I'...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:23 Jun 24, 2023

Damn, this was funny and heartbreaking at the same time. Good job, my friend. I could never write about this topic as well as you. Now I want to be like Carl when I go. He's inspiring. Nicely done, Murray. Nicely done indeed. Cheers!

Reply

Murray Burns
15:20 Jun 24, 2023

My older and wiser brother has the perfect exit strategy...he wants to be hit by a meteor...from behind. Quick, easy, and a blaze of glory. Seriously, I can't imagine knowing months in advance that you were dying. I remember visiting my aunt in the hospital years ago...she was dying, she knew she was dying, and knew that I knew she was dying. I thought it would be very challenging, I entered her room, started to say something, and she told me to wait a minute. She was listening to the radio and said something like, "Hold. it's the bottom of...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:51 Jun 23, 2023

Just got word the cousin of my son-in-law, age early 50's, passed away this evening. He was told two months ago he only had maybe seven months left to live. He has been trying to wrap up his affairs and wanted to do something extra. His strength was zapped and he wasn't able to do anything. It feels like it happened way too fast. We were praying he could enjoy something for working so hard his whole life. Maybe a blessing he passed the tape so soon. He was still running. Thanks for this story. All came about so suddenly. Luckily he had a sa...

Reply

Murray Burns
13:30 Jun 23, 2023

Very sad...sorry. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to know that you are dying for weeks or months. I hope I get a quick exit out of this world.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:18 Jun 22, 2023

Murray, I thought the pacing and the flow of this piece went well and your plot was engaging. I liked the chutzpah of your star characters. They give as well as they get but more importantly they teach one another something even in death. Nurse Ratched learned a thing or two also. Well done! Theme: life, death. Mood: hopeful playful with a sombre element. I enjoyed this one. LF6

Reply

Murray Burns
23:20 Jun 22, 2023

You're the best. Where's your revised, revised story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Murray Burns
23:20 Jun 22, 2023

You're the best. Where's your revised, revised story?

Reply

Lily Finch
00:11 Jun 23, 2023

Ok, I scrapped it for another one. I'll send it to you. Thanks. LF6

Reply

Murray Burns
00:24 Jun 23, 2023

The plot idea was really good...being called upon to execute a friend....Duty vs compassion and humanity....Javert in Les Miserables, Vere in Billy Budd...maybe start with an outline of critical events and go from there. Of course, it may have been more for your Jacques...he might have ended up on the chopping block if he didn't do it. It kind of seemed like it should be a shorter story or a longer novel....

Reply

Lily Finch
00:39 Jun 23, 2023

That's why I benched it. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.