89 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

Author's Note: This story is heavily-inspired by the 1981 song "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers. I don't own the rights to this song or its lyrics.


CW: Allusions to drug use

**


11 May 2024


Dearest Aurelia,


Just so you know, I played our song at my bar tonight. Yes, “Golden Brown” by The Stranglers, that familiar refrain that makes you break into that certain smile that makes my heart ebb and flow like a diamantine river, permeated --- what else –-- The Golden Brown Bar. Even after six years, I could still clearly picture it: the almost-medieval harpsichord lilt filling the air, the dancefloor lighting pulsating in a warm amber glow, your jade green eyes scintillating and revealing the gold flecks in them, and your mouth stretching into a brilliant, aureate half-moon as you sway in my arms.


Oh, you bet I danced to it. As soon as that first B-flat minor note hit, my feet couldn’t help gliding along in circles to the alternating 6/8 and 7/8 signatures. My core couldn’t help tightening to that regal ballroom posture you’d taught me to carry. My arms couldn’t help stretching out like the leaves of a golden palm. Of course, though, I wish you were here to waltz with me; in my imagination, your gem eyes still sparkled at me whilst your marigold chiffon dress floated with every spin. That goes without saying.


Look, Honey, I’ve been thinking about you again. Yes, the day you walked away from me, you asked me to just forget you, to let all of the memories of us drown in the crystal clear waters of time. What if I told you I just could not let them go? What if I told you that you still shine as lustrously as the rarest of jewels in my eyes? What if I told you that anytime the bright rays of the sun first stream through those large bay windows in the flat, the ones you always loved, I still look for your lunar smile and for your green orbs?


I’m sorry to tell you that like a 24-karat gold ring, my mind has been engraved with you, every single fold now etched with your fluid movements and you beaming at me. Yes, when I think of the colour golden brown, it still makes me recall no one but you.


Golden brown was your hair the day I first saw you at an outdoor music festival. The sunflowers were in full bloom then, their vivid yellow petals and emerald leaves contrasting against a cerulean sky. However, at that very moment, all my soul registered were your luminous waves, the light of your moon smile, and the fluidity of your movements when I observed you dancing two rows from me. I knew I had to seize this gleaming opportunity to talk to you but was at a loss how.


Little did I know that my choice of outfit that day would be the golden key to your attention. I was ruminating how to make that first move, what I could do to go for gold with you when I heard your sweet melodic voice exclaim how much you loved the t-shirt I had on with The Stranglers on it. Before I could even move my mouth to speak, I noticed your jade eyes radiate the light of a million suns as you extended a hand and introduced yourself. Little did I know that you were Midas to me from then on: as soon as we touched, everything in my life turned to gold.


Golden brown was the succulent herb-crusted roast chicken you cooked the day we moved in together. I said to you that you needn’t make supper, that we could just get takeaway since we spent all day decorating the flat. You insisted on it, though. Well, I’m glad that you did. When I bit into my portion, I couldn’t help breaking into a contented grin…which made you flash that selenic smile I love. You responded with a passionate kiss that detonated an explosion of jewel-tones in my eyes. You murmured that it was the least you could do for someone that made you feel treasured.


Little did I know that it would be the first of many moments I’d be flooded, as if I were a bank on a river of gold, by your love. Living under the same roof as you, my Aurelia, I could only gasp every time you bought me a present just because you overheard I fancied it. I could only chuckle sweetly when you gamely leapt into my arms and glided across the kitchen floor when we prepared a meal. I could only whisper a gossamer-like “thank you” whenever I fell ill and you immediately came by my side with a bowl of saffron-infused pumpkin soup. Little did I know that your tenderness would be even more and more like a ruby, glimmering in scarlet passion, as the years went on.


Golden brown were the sands of the Philippines when we took our first holiday together. Honey, how resplendent you were in your crimson sundress under the blazing tropical sun. I declared it then, and I will repeat it now: You looked like a shimmering garnet as you strolled along with me, your delicate, petal-like hand in mine, on the pristine shores. When you asked the DJ at the beach party we attended that night to play us “Golden Brown”, I knew I needed to save every precious second swaying with you in the silver screen of my mind.


Little did I know that it would be the evening something would flow in me like molten metal, a fire that burnt so brightly that it could produce gem stones. Little did I know that as you waltzed next to me on the other side of the world, it would be the beginning of a gold-paved path to buying you a diamond.


Golden brown was the sunset when I asked you to be my wife. I had everything prepared, you know. Your colleague Orla would hand you a little note from me with a gold seal. Then, you would open it and find out that the date I had planned for us is a dinner at The Canary Lounge. Of course, by the time you’d have gotten to your favourite restaurant, all of the yellow tulips --- the flowers you’ve always loved – would have been in the crystal vases I bought for my proposal, the photos of our treasured memories would have been hung on the walls.


Little did I know that you were at a meeting with one of your clients at the bistro next door. I was busy putting the blooms in their vases when I heard your familiar lilting voice. I turned to you and observed your familiar jade green eyes take in every single element in that dining area. It was now or never, so I gulped, approached you, took out the box containing a pear-shaped halo diamond ring in yellow gold, and got down on one knee. Little did I know that despite my shiny little ploy falling through, you’d still say yes, still choose to break into that half-moon smile as I slipped on a symbol of our intent to marry.


Everything was golden brown when you were with me, Aurelia. I had you, so I had all things priceless in the world….and I was a fool to trade it all.


Golden brown was the fluid in the syringe that ruined everything. It had been two months since our joyous engagement when I first tried it. I had been stressed out with trying to manage the bar whilst planning the wedding when one of the regulars, the one who always wore a paste emerald ring, came up to me and demanded I try his “anti-stress solution”. I refused at first, but he assured me it would make everything dream-like --- as if the world were all gems. Little did I know that first shot was but a gateway to me craving more, was but the first crack in the diamond of the future I wanted to build with you.


Golden brown was your dress the night you bawled your eyes out after I met your parents. You had been looking forward to introducing me to them, for them to see how much our love shone like a valuable stone. You pleaded with me not to shoot up, but I insisted, was as adamant at feeding the addiction as a prospector searching for a nugget. I showed up at your childhood home with jittery hands and ruby red-streaked eyes. By the time the meal was served, I felt my focus dissipate like water in a dried up river. Little did I know at that moment that inside you, the love you had for me was starting to tarnish.


Golden brown was your suitcase the day you packed your bags and went out the door. Little did I know it would be for the last time.


Look, Aurelia, I’m not going to ask you to come back to me. You are a sparking jewel once gifted to me by God that I didn’t know how to care for. I’m not even going to blame you for moving on with the crystalline waves of life and becoming Alan’s precious pearl (Congratulations, by the way.) All I could ever hope to ask for is your forgiveness for choosing straw over gold. All I could ever want is for you to be happy, to know that the joy you feel is even more exquisite than the most expensive jewelry money can buy. That’s all I want, really.


Oh, and don’t worry about me. If you want to know, it's been a year since I last chased that amber liquid. I hope you're proud of me. Apart from that, I will always have our golden memories stashed away in the safe of my heart. Plus, yes, I will always have our song.


Still thinking you’re more radiant than diamonds,

Hugh


May 07, 2024 15:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

89 comments

Kristi Gott
21:02 May 09, 2024

The incredibly vivid sensory imagery creates a magnetic force drawing the reader into the immersive world of the main character's thoughts and feelings. Such skill and creativity plus insightful portrayal of the characters' relationship. The concept of love that leaves when the drug use starts is told with uniqueness and the use of the golden brown theme is clever. A powerfully written story!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:28 May 10, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi ! I'm so happy that the imagery and format worked . Like I mentioned to Helen, sometimes, you are given a person who truly loves you, but you get clumsy handling their heart. At least, she found happiness. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
19:30 May 09, 2024

Such a sad story. It was like the MC had the Midas touch until it all got tarnished by Hugh’s addiction. Very beautiful letter and even more likely is that in spite of Aurelia’s present happiness she is never forget him for both good abs bad reasons. Golden brown says it all. Poignant piece.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:24 May 10, 2024

Hi, Helen ! Precisely that. Sometimes, you are given a treasure of a person, --- someone who loves you with wild abandon and will care very deeply for you --- and you are clumsy with their love. Aurelia did deserve her happiness, though. I'm happy you liked this and found it poignant. I think Aurelia will indeed always remember Hugh....but also firmly believe he wasn't for her. Oh well. Any love poured isn't wasted, I believe. Thanks for reading, Helen !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
19:20 May 09, 2024

Top notch descriptions and the perfect pivotal moment to introduce the life-destroying drug. Kudos for thinking up all those Golden Brown images and references. Music and colour feature in many of my poems and short stories as well so was immediately drawn to this.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:28 May 09, 2024

I'm so happy you liked the story, Carol. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
02:17 May 09, 2024

Alexis - beautiful depth in your writing. So lovely! 🌟🌟🌟

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:09 May 09, 2024

Thank you so much, Laurie ! It means so much coming from you. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
20:29 May 08, 2024

Really nicely done. You have a beautiful narrative style. I truly enjoyed this story very much. Thanks for sharing your talents. Looking forward to reading your previous submissions.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
21:10 May 08, 2024

Thank you so much, TE ! I'm absolutely happy you liked the style.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bruce Carrington
13:52 May 08, 2024

The flow of this story was impeccable. Took some notes in case I ever need to write a love letter (or worse, apologetic love letter). Beautiful, Alexis. Liked it a lot.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:12 May 08, 2024

Oh my ! Thank you, Bruce ! I'm happy you liked it. Yes, I am very much an unapologetic romantic, so to pour it out in the letter was fun. And yes, I do get really mushy in letters in real life. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renate Buchner
10:20 May 08, 2024

Wonderful told, Alexis!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:22 May 08, 2024

Thank you so much, Renate ! I'm so happy you liked my story. PS: Replying to a comment on my story called "Golden Brown"...whilst listening to "Golden Brown" is a riot. Hahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.L. Lallak
07:19 May 08, 2024

Once again, you blew my mind. The flow of your writing is envious. Poetic. I'll never call amber its name again, but golden brown. Simple, but with depth. Oxymoronish. I LOVE your writing:)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:17 May 08, 2024

Hahahaha ! Thank you. Like I said, I just ran with the idea of using a song as inspiration. I'm happy you find my descriptions poetic. I think both "amber" and "golden brown" are lovely names for the colour, though. Thank you so much for your support of my writing, as per usual. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:19 May 08, 2024

Oh wow! Alexis this was amazing! I love this title and you know how I'm a sucker for titles...lol. Plus, your choice of song is perfect. I could feel every emotion in this story. My favorite line here is: "Little did I know that it would be the first of many moments I’d be flooded, as if I were a bank on a river of gold, by your love." - so beautiful. This was an amazing entry, and I've noticed that your writing keeps getting better and better with each new story you write. It's such an incredible thing to see! If I had to rate this, I...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:34 May 08, 2024

Daniel !! I'm so happy you like this story of mine. This was such fun to write, and I'm happy you enjoyed reading it as much as I loved creating it. Like I said, the idea came from listening to "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers, a song which, according to the group, is about both a woman and an addiction. I thought I'd play on that. I'm happy the love and the regret came through in the piece. I do love writing that line. Partly, it's because...I do see myself doing the same things Aurelia did for Hugh...only with worse cookery skills. Hah...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:21 May 12, 2024

You're welcome. I love how you can come up with these awesome stories inspired by great songs and music! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:04 May 12, 2024

I always have a song stuck in my head, so I suppose it isn't such a surprise. Hahahaha ! Thank you, as always for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
01:35 May 08, 2024

I love your lyrical style of prose. The letter to a lost love was a poignant touch showing not only the memories and regret, but positive growth and change after the fact. “My arms couldn’t stretching out like the leaves…” quick pick up here, “my arms couldn’t help” The vivid use of colour in this story is clever. The golden brown goodness of their early life is tarnished with golden brown addiction, then the golden brown suitcase leaving, The precious jade eyes filled with love is dimmed by a stranger with fake emerald ring. The crimson dre...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:59 May 08, 2024

Thank you so much, Michelle ! This is one of the reasons I like having up to 3,000 words at my disposal: I can be as lyrical as I want, throw as much imagery as I want. Can't really do that in shorter forms. Hahahaha ! Oh well ! I like that you highlighted the contrasts in elements of the same colour. To be honest, I was just focusing on the golden brown bit (since that's the title), but I didn't realise I did it with green, as well. Ah, good choice with the paste emerald, I suppose. Hahahaha ! Yes, I had to go through this story again to ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
21:59 May 07, 2024

Oh, {sigh} everyone should be so coveted by another. <3

Reply

Alexis Araneta
22:44 May 07, 2024

Indeed, it's a lovely feeling to be so desired and loved by someone, they can't help being all romantic about it. So happy you liked this story. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Myranda Marie
23:05 May 07, 2024

Everything you write is spectacular!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:33 May 08, 2024

Oh my ! Thank you so much, Myranda ! You have no idea what that means. I've been feeling a bit of imposter syndrome in my writing journey. I'm happy you appreciate my writing.

Reply

Myranda Marie
00:51 May 08, 2024

My friend, I can completely relate ! Been dealing with self-doubt for a while. I love connecting with amazing people on here. We show up for one another, and most days that means absolutely everything. Come find me if you ever need encouraging words, I have PLENTY for you!!!! Be the Rockstar that you are!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:55 May 08, 2024

You are absolutely sweet, Myranda ! Thank you ! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
20:36 May 07, 2024

Just as poetic and beautiful as always, Alexis. Wonderful story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
22:43 May 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Ty ! I'm glad you found this little tale poetic. I am so grateful for your constant support of my writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
19:05 May 07, 2024

I always fine it difficult to write in the image of another sex.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:38 May 07, 2024

Hmmm...I guess whenever I write stories in the perspective of a man, it's just a question of me mixing the personality I want them to have and other stories with male narrators. Thanks for reading, Philip !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
19:00 May 07, 2024

This story hits hard with its mix of love, addiction, and reminiscing about 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers. It's like a punch to the gut, but in a good way, making you feel all the feels.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:35 May 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Belladonna ! I'm very happy I was able to capture that mix of emotions. I'm very pleased you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
18:39 May 07, 2024

Alexis, your story is a beautiful tale of love and loss. This is very well written!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:34 May 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Jim ! It means so much coming from you. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesse Smith
18:00 May 07, 2024

Alexis, this is really a masterpiece of a story! The descriptions are especially vivid and lovely, and the letter flows really well. I think most of us readers will be able to relate to the letter, at least in part, for having lost someone valuable (by our own fault or theirs), or lost someone to drugs (for me, it was my best friend who chose heroin). This hit me hard from many directions. Really, truly wonderful. Very well done! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:14 May 07, 2024

Jesse, I'm so glad you liked this story. Basically, the idea came to me listening to that song by The Stranglers (Hugh Cornwell, the lead singer mentioned that it's about both a woman and addiction). I'm very happy I was able to execute it well. Well, I am a descriptive person and writer, so I'm glad you enjoyed my use of imagery I'm very sorry for your loss, just so you know. Thank you so much for investing your time in reading this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Honey Homecroft
16:15 May 07, 2024

Beautiful colors in this, and then you really sold it with the tarnish on Aurelia's love — I got goosebumps there! Love the hopeful ending as well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:21 May 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Honey ! I couldn't resist using jewelry and gold imagery given the title of the story. I'm so happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:51 May 07, 2024

Somebody did somebody wrong song.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:54 May 07, 2024

Hahahaha ! You and your witty comments, Mary ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
13:07 May 11, 2024

I swear, it feels like I was rolling a movie in my head with every new paragraph. The descriptions are so beautifully vivid and, god, the pain in my heart when you mentioned that needle! I adore how you took inspiration from a song as that’s something I love to do as well. It’s like having a built-in soundtrack when you’re reading! I may just have to go find this song and listen to it while thinking about this story. Really, absolutely gorgeous. The characters leapt and danced off the page and, if this were in ink, it would be in swirling go...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:14 May 11, 2024

Oh my ! Thank you so much, Fern !!! It means a lot coming from such a talented writer like you. I'm glad you could clearly picture the story unfolding. Like I mentioned in other comments, the song "Golden Brown" is about both a woman and addiction, so I just went with it. I wanted the reveal about Hugh using to be a gut-punch, so I'm glad it worked. What a lovely, eloquent way to describe it. I'm so happy you liked it, Fern. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:27 May 10, 2024

Loved this tragic story of love lost. I too would have left such a man with his drug problem. Very interesting way you have formatted the paragraph beginnings with 'Golden brown' and 'Little did I know' x 4 I wasn't sure about the music time signature. I know 7/8 can be teamed up with 4/4, 8/8. I got side tracked trying to work out the beat of 6/8 over 7/8. Actually in the song it is predominantly 6/8 which is like a fast waltz without the emphasis on the fourth note. Every so often a few bars have an extra note slipped in. giving it a co...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:05 May 10, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! Indeed, some people are given others' hearts but are anything but scrupulous with them. Of course, she would leave. Hahaha ! Yes, you noticed the structure. It's...actually a bit of a hangover from me joining "Furious Fiction" (the Australian flash fiction competition) and my story there having every paragraph start with the same phrase. Hahahaha ! It's a very unusually timed song. According to Wiki, its time signature switches between 6/8 and 7/8. It can be considered a waltz but not quite. I'm so happy you liked the imag...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.