1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Mystery

When Adelaide thought about how her day would be going, going down a canyon in a popped blimp that is currently on fire was not what she had in mind. The yellow snakes on her head hissed wildly as she felt the scorching heat on her skin. Of course she was going to get a faulty blimp! Just when she was going to get the most interesting story! No one in the city ever treated a gorgon with their utmost respect and concern. Let alone, a gorgon who is also a journalist.

I am not dying like this! She thought fiercely.

 The blimp was being pulled by five pegasi. That was her only option for escape. She hitched up her skirt, gathered it, and tied it in a knot that hung by her knee. Her older sister had taught her how to do that a while back. She didn’t do it too often because her mother said it was “unlady-like.” She climbed onto the edge and without hesitation, jumped. She landed on the nearest pegasi and cut the ropes. The rest of the pegasi flew freely. Adelaide tried to steady the one she was on. It was a pretty navy one with a white stripe on its face. She had never even flown a horse before. Just as she predicted, she and the pegasus crashed into the river below.

  Adelaide crawled onto the riverbank, coughing and sputtering. She laid down on the soft red sand, looking up at the sky. She heard a fierce neighing and turned her head. The navy pegasus was trying and failing to fly. She stood up and untied her skirt. The pegasus whinnied in defeat. Adelaide neared the pegasus carefully. The winged creature snorted at her. She leapt back, but regained her courage and neared closer. The pegasus calmed down, and bowed its head letting Adelaide pet him. Adelaide’s snakes neared the horse in curiosity. She brushed them aside and looked at the pegasus’s wings. One of them was scorched.

“I’m sorry about your wing…” she apologized quietly.

  The pegasus blinked.

“Do you mind if I call you Midnight? You look like a Midnight.” she told him.

 Midnight bowed his head lower.

“I think we need to find civilization. Or at least shelter for the night. I think the most logical thing to do is to travel home. First, we need to help your wing.” she informed Midnight.

  Adelaide looked around. She smiled when she found a cactus-like plant with blue tips. She took part of it and rubbed it on Midnight’s wing.

“Nix Aloe Vera. Helps any burn no matter the degrees. Learned that trick from interviewing a medicine-woman.” she said proudly.

  Midnight relaxed. Adelaide took what was left of the reins and led him through the canyon.

  The wind blew across Adelaide's face. She heard a faint sound of a harmonica playing in the distance. She led Midnight towards the sound. She came across an old hut with an old human couple. The man played the harmonica and had a large torn-up hat. The lady was quickly knitting a scarf that had skeletons decorated into it. Adelaide cleared her throat.

“Um… Excuse me… Do you know where the nearest town is?” she asked.

  The old man stopped playing his harmonica and mumbled something about corn syrup.

“I beg your pardon?” Adelaide asked.

  The lady shrugged. Black shawl rustling.

“He’s sayin’ there's a town a few miles up the river. You’ll get there sweetie.” she replied without looking up.

  Adelaide nodded, surprised that they didn’t even look disgusted by her appearance.

“Thank you. What’s the name of the town?” She asked.

“Jackalope, sweetie.” 

“Thank you.”

  Adelaide and Midnight walked through the canyon for several hours. Jackalope. Why did that sound familiar? The sun felt scorching. Adelaide feet dragged against the dirt. Thoughts about the town’s name buzzed around her head. Then she saw a grove of trees in the distance. Her face lit up. Usually in the desert, when there is a random grove of trees, that means someone planted them there. Her feet quickened. Sure enough, a faded wooden sign sat just a few feet in front of the grove. Jackalope.

  The town of Jackalope was fairly small. There were a few houses, an inn, and an old church. Adelaide found it a little off that there wasn’t a post office or even a library. It must have been a new settlement. What bothered me even more was the fact that there was not a person in sight. Just a lot of Jackalopes. They moved away when they saw her. A gust of wind flew through the trees. She began to feel uneasy.

“Salutations.” said a small voice.

  Adelaide whipped around. It was a young girl with the complexion and ears of a deer. She even had white freckles dotting her cheeks. She looked to be about five years of age, which is why it surprised Adelaide that she knew a large word.

“Um… Hello.” she replied.

  “You are exotic-looking. You must be a stranger.” said the deer-girl.

  Adelaide looked around to see where the girl’s parents were.

“Y-yes. I’m trying to get home. My blimp crashed. I was supposed to interview someone.” she told her.

  The deer-girl put her hand on the ground.

“May I ask who you are interviewing?” she asked.

  Orange flowers started to appear around the deer-girl’s fingers. Adelaide backed away. Magic.

“It w-was a man… who disappeared for ten years… claimed to have stayed at a strange inn…in a strange town…” she continued warily. 

  The deer-girl nodded. She pulled out a piece of chalk.

“Can you write your name please?” She asked.

  With a shaking hand, Adelaide took the chalk. She knew she was being silly. After all, what could a piece of chalk do? She started writing. A. A wooden floor appeared under her. Adelaide gasped.

“Go on.” the deer-girl assured her.

  Adelaide felt like she had to keep going. D. Framing appeared around the wooden floor. E. The wooden frame was covered in white walls. L. Wallpaper appeared. The wall paper was a navy blue with stars and yellow snakes on it. A. The ceiling appeared. A large dome with stars. I. From the ceiling came a circular chandelier. D. Shelves full of desks started to appear. E. A large desk appeared at the edge of the library. Adelaide felt herself growing dizzy.

“Thank you for the library Adelaide.” the deer-girl chirped.

  Everything went black.

“Over here! There she is!” yelled a voice.

  Adelaide opened her eyes. Midnight nuzzled one of her snakes. She saw the blimp on fire. The piece of chalk was in her hands. Adelaide closed her eyes again, and drifted off to sleep.

  When she woke up, she was in a soft white bed in a room of bustling nurses. A woman with yellow snakes on her head sat in front of her. Her sister.

“Adelaide! We thought we lost you! You were asleep for three weeks! The doctor was about to declare you dead! Thank goodness gorgons are hearty!” her sister cried.

  Adelaide blinked. Could it all have been a dream? Then an elven man walked in.

“Telegram for Adelaide!” he announced.

“From who?” her sister asked.

“I don’t know. It’s anonymous.”

  Adelaide took the telegram. A shiver ran down her spine.

 Adelaide’s library. Town of Jackalope.

  That was all that was said. Her sister looked at it.

“Isn’t that the town the missing man was talking about in your letter?” she asked.

  Adelaide could only stare at the telegram. Jackalope. Adelaide.

June 29, 2023 01:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Amanda Rantanen
15:16 Jul 06, 2023

It is interesting to contrast imaginary mythical creatures with an actual landscape that the reader may find familiar. In your opening sentence, you have used the word going twice, right next to each other, with different meanings. It is a bit confusing. I had to read that sentence over a couple of times to understand what was happening. Might want to revise. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.