Sibling Holiday Trip

Written in response to: Start your story in the middle of a traffic jam.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Romance Funny

The perfect Thanksgiving! Andrew, 32, is the uptight person expecting everything to go perfect. His sister Angela, 29, on the other hand, is a bit of a clutz messing things up. Angela and Andrew are on their way to the mall for Thanksgiving decorations. Andrew and his girlfriend Ellie are hosting their first dinner party, so it must go right, and he’s going to propose. So far, everything goes according to plan, Andrew got up at 8 for his work and gets off his shift at 3. He expects he and Angela head to the mall at 3:30 and come home around 4:30, decorate then finish at 5:15 then the guests arrive at 5:30.

Angela, on the other hand, is a bit spontaneous, she never makes plans. She’s very into whatever happens, happens and that worries Andrew. However, this year, she promises she’ll do things his way. She won’t be late, she won’t browse too many items, and she won’t add things last minute. So far, in her life, she’s had a bad year; she was dumped by her girlfriend. However, maybe helping her brother with the dinner party might lighten things up. If she tries not to mess up, she’ll be okay.

The same morning at 9, she met someone at the McDonald’s drive thru. The server was very cute and nice. They share some small talk until the car behind her beeps her and she says goodbye to the server and drives off. She comes back around noon to see her, but the manager said she left. She’s spending Thanksgiving with her friends. Angela thinks she lost hope. At 3, Andrew picks up Angela and they head off. So here we are in the middle of a traffic jam.

Andrew is frustrated. She argues it shouldn’t be a surprise it’s a holiday. She doesn’t find being late a big deal, but he does. He snaps at her then they argue. She wonders why he’s so upset then he tells her he’s going to propose which delights her. He apologizes for taking his anger out on her. Changing subjects, he asks if she’s okay, her response is she’s doing okay, but a little late on rent. He offers her money, but she declines. She’d feel awkward if she can’t pay him back. He doesn’t care if she doesn’t pay him back, but she doesn’t want it. Since they’re not moving, he writes a check and hands it to her she resists then they tug a war the check until the car in front of them moves and the car behind them beeps.

He stops fighting with her and drives forward by two feet then stops. She tears the check which angers him he claims she is so stubborn whenever he offers his help, she rejects him. From her point of view, she doesn’t want him to always take care of her because she wants to pay him back somehow. That’s why this trip was her way of paying him since she volunteered to help with the decorations a month before. Because she loves him so much this is her way of showing her appreciation.

However, Andrew lets’ her know it’s not a bad thing to ask for help. She lays her guard down telling him about the girl she likes who works at McDonald’s. She has described her as a brunette, olive skin, and blue eyes. He asks what her name is, but Angela forgot to check her name tag. He promises next time he goes to McDonald’s he’ll find her and put a good word in. It’s been 30 minutes (3:30), so far traffic still jammed. Andrew plays his Pandora music.

Another car cuts him off, Angela curses to the driver, the driver flips them off. She flips the bird back at the driver, Andrew puts her hand down. He hands her his ring if she wants to do him a favor. She observes the ring, loves it, and puts it in her pocket. 40 minutes (4:10) have gone by, Angela and Andrew finally make it to the mall, browsing for decorations. Angela made a list of all the items. As Andrew takes each item, she crosses one off the list. Then afterwards and wouldn’t you know it they’re in a long line. He calls Ellie letting her know they’re going to be little late. Another 40 minutes (4:50) have gone by, he pays for the items while she carries the bags. They head to the parking lot, he unlocks his trunk, she makes a big leap throwing the bags inside while falling into the trunk. He scolds her stop clowning around. She gets up and fixes herself up and slams his trunk.

Finally, after 2 and a half hours (5:30), at Andrew’s place his guests are already there waiting. Ellie was concerned he told her about traffic and long lines. She introduces him to her friends he hasn’t met. Angela enters carrying the decorations then spots one of Ellie’s friends -- it's the same girl who works at McDonald’s! They lock eyes at each other. Angela is so stunned she dropped the decorations. Andrew is about to lose his temper then Ellie calms him down. Angela feels terrible things didn’t go according to plan. Ellie understands and she nudges Andrew to go easy on her.

The guests take pity and offer to help with the decorations. Ellie already made the food. Everyone starts decorating, laughing, bonding, a chance for Angela and the girl employee who is named Tori to hit it off. Tori finds Angela sweet helping her brother and her clumsiness is adorable. At 7:30, yes two hours behind, everyone is gathered around for late dinner. Andrew says grace thanking everyone for coming and humorously kidding around it’s all Angela’s fault, she smirks at him, he’s just playing he knows it’s not her fault then turns to Ellie thanking her for the cooking. Claps from everyone. And finally, he makes a speech the time they met to his surprise with a proposal.

He gets down on one knee searches his pockets for the ring, he can’t find it. It’s getting embarrassing. He turns to Angela. She searches her pockets then remembers what happened. She opens the trunk and finds it. She comes back handing him the ring, he starts all over. Everyone laughs it off. Ellie accepts his proposal. Things are starting to look up for Angela and Tori, and her brother is marrying the love of his life. Both siblings get a happy ending.


November 29, 2021 21:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.