0 comments

Friendship Happy Romance

SOMEONE LIKE ME

It was the girls' night she had been looking forward to. She wasn't really a fun of the chit-chat and gossip about boys and make-up but today, there was something in it for her. She kept tossing different dresses onto her bed. Like most girls, she had tons of lovely clothes but couldn't find the perfect one when she needed to. Finally, she settled on the pink spaghetti strap high-low top and jeans her best friend, Ann had gotten for her on her birthday. By the time she put on make-up and fitted her legs into the stiletto heels, her mum couldn't help but ask what the occasion was.

 "Just girls night", she told her and left hurriedly before she was bombarded with questions.

     She walked into the restaurant late and smiled to herself

"I definitely look good. Lol, don't be so modest, it's just us. Girl, you look fantastic"

     She felt a sense of accomplishment for the first time. If Jayden was attracted to pretty girls, her outfit should definitely find her a slot on his list. She walked very confidently and sat right where Jayden couldn't possibly not notice her. She had taken great pains to find herself in the same room with him and she wasn't going to mess up. All through the evening, she kept smiling and pretended to be interested in the conversation at hand hoping that Jayden would at least cast a glance at her. The time went by so swiftly and soon, he left the restaurant. No sooner had he left the restaurant than Jane asked for permission to leave with her usual "Thanks guys, I had a nice time today". Ann knew better and quickly requested to leave with her. That was usually how their girls' nights ended.

"Jane, Jane", Ann called out. "What's up with you today? First the outfit, then your sudden interest in make-up. I thought you hated make-up. I know you're not okay so please don't tell me you are."

   Jane knew sooner or later, she was going to tell Ann what was going on so she told her that they would talk about it when they got home. When they entered Jane's room, Ann locked the door. The two friends sat on the bed as Jane began to unravel the mystery behind her apparent change that night.

"Well, we got a new neighbor, He's called Jayden. I think he's cute so I've been trying to get his attention all week but he wouldn't even take a look at me. Am I not pretty enough?"

    At that point, the tears she had been trying to hold back started streaming down her face. Ann just hugged and told her she was very beautiful and that everything was going to be okay. At that moment, things began to make sense to Ann. The unexpected change in the location for girls night and Jane's sudden interest in learning how to play the guitar was because of this new guy. Before long, they not fell asleep, tired and exhausted.

     It was eight o'clock the next morning and her alarm clock interrupted her peaceful sleep. Lazily, Jane got up from bed and drew her curtains. The shining sun brightened up her room. She noticed that Ann had left earlier in the morning without her shoes. She wondered what her friend was up to this time. She looked around for her favourite pink fluffy slippers and realized they were no where to be found. All she could do was smile. She didn't need any detective to tell her who the culprit of the theft was. She felt lucky to have an incessantly annoying best friend who was always there for her. But she definitely loved her slippers so she decided to go and pick it up later in the day.

     After breakfast, she started her way to Ann's house which was just a couple of blocks away. Who could have come driving by than Jayden. Her heart skipped a beat when he pulled up by her in a black Honda Accord. She blushed as he smiled at her.

 "Can I drop you off somewhere?", Jayden asked with a husky voice that she loved.

 "Yes...sure", she stammered.

      He hoped out of the car and opened the door for her. " Goodness, such a gentleman", she whispered to herself. It was as if she was dreaming and she sure didn't want that dream to end soon. She quickly thought of all the tricks she had heard the girls discussing during their weekly outings. Suddenly, a brilliant idea occured to her.

"Where are you headed to?", she asked.

"Erm, I'm headed to the library just around the corner."

"What a coincidence", she exclaimed. " That's where I'm also headed." 

"Great", he replied and turned on the radio.

   " That was a smart one," she smiled to herself. The girls' night had finally done her some good. When they got to the library, she started feeling embarrassed. She realized that she was in a casual dress and her hair looked quite messy. Her embarrassment deepened when Jayden, who had been in the neighborhood for barely two weeks showed the entrance to the library and where to record her details. It was quite obvious that Jayden had already figured that she didn't know her way around and decided to assist her. 

"So what book are you coming to read", Jayden asked as he saw her staring blankly at the books on the shelves. She panicked, and not wanting her cover to be blown, grabbed a random book on the shelf. He smiled at her and took a seat. She also took a seat two chairs away from him and looked at the title of the book. "Living With Cancer: A Compilation of True Life Stories." She had hoped for a more interesting book but here she was. She smiled as she recollected how well her day was going thanks to her annoying friend. She knew she also had to read a page or two just in case Mr Cute library guy asked her about what she read. 

    So she started reading the stories. She got really engrossed in her reading that she didn't realize how long she had been in the library. Around 3:30pm, she felt a tap on her shoulders. It was none other than Jayden. He had to get back and wanted to know if she would come along. She couldn't say no.

"You know you can borrow the book right?", he asked rhetorically.  

"Of course", she replied

   He laughed and took the book out of her hand. She was relieved because she obviously didn't know the procedure of borrowing a book. Jayden went ahead of her to borrow the book in his name whiles she just stood back and looked on. After, he handed the book to her and they left the library. They drove on in awkward silence till he passed by her house. 

" You just passed by my house," she said

"Well, I thought you'd like to have some lunch before I drop you off." Jayden replied. She couldn't believe her luck. It was more like a first date to her. 

       When they got to the restaurant, she realized how hungry she was. She ordered for some fries whiles he took a burger. Not wanting to put him off, she quietened her rumbling stomach and ate slowly

     After the meal, they went on chatting and getting to know each other. Then Jayden asked a question that threw her off balance for a minute. 

 "Would you date someone like me?"

"I...erm... I... thought you had a...like a girlfriend, Jane stammered after recovering from her state of surprise.

"Well, I had a girlfriend...till I told her I was diagnosed with cancer", he said in a low sad tone

"I'm so sorry," Jane said apologetically

"It's okay. You know what, I think I should take you home before your mom starts looking for you.", Jayden said

    Their ride back home was short, but long enough for Jane to reflect on Jayden's revelation. She felt he seemed fine and healthy. Her mind went back to the book she had read earlier in the day. She recollected some of the interesting journeys of people who had lived with various types of cancer. One of the stories that fascinated her was one about a guy called Christopher Wilson who had lived with leukemia but didn't allow the disease to stop him from living his best life. Christopher played basketball in college, joined a band and travelled around the world before he finally died at the age of 42 leaving behind a wife and two beautiful daughters. What she admired the most about Christopher was how he made the most of his life regardless of the challenges he faced. To Christopher, disease doesn't stop one from living our lives unless one allows it to.

     They got back to Jane's house as the sun was setting. Still sitting in the car, she thanked Jayden for the ride back and for the lunch.

"My pleasure," he said. " But you didn't answer my question"

"Which was?", she asked

"Would you date a guy like me?", he asked and waited for her response

She flung her arms around his neck and planted a gentle kiss on his cheek. "Yes I would," she whispered and made her way to her house leaving her borrowed book behind.

April 28, 2021 19:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.