0 comments

Contemporary Teens & Young Adult Speculative

Levi, a resident of Silvermoor his entire life, walked through the quiet, dark streets with ease he acutely understood would never exist in any other town. Why would he bother worrying? He knew the residents of each house he passed. For some of them, Levi could even recite the exact routines practiced at this time. 

Mr. and Mrs. Deere, for example, likely just put their three-year-old to bed and began their nightly episode of whichever show they were currently watching. Ms. Walker, his own math teacher back in middle school, finished dinner about ten minutes ago and started grading papers. Then there was old Mr. Porter. He had no children or really any family whatsoever, but the community came together to take care of him. Tonight was young Jane Hall's turn. 

As Levi continued the short trip to his house on 19th and Meadow Lane, he watched the cloudless sky. He often followed this same pattern as he walked home; the stars helped him see how vast the world indeed was. Something brushed against his leg as he admired some constellation he didn't know the name of; he jumped and turned around. 

"Oh, hey Dusty," he said with a long exhale. "Why aren't you home with Ms. Walker, boy?" 

The grey poodle barked enthusiastically in reply. Levi shook his head, muttering, "If only I could understand you, huh?" 

Dusty's tail wagged back and forth as he padded next to Levi, who relented and allowed the dog to follow him. He was harmless, and the company was admittedly nice. He had always gotten along well with canines. 

He was nearly home when Dusty's hackles bristled, and he started barking at something in the distance. Levi looked around but saw nothing through the darkness; he began to walk faster. An eerie feeling crept upon him, raising the hairs of his neck. Someone was watching him.

For a split second, he wondered if he should stop and investigate. To himself, he murmured, "No, that's stupid." It would be safer just to go home. Levi laughed at himself. This was Silvermoor; he had never once questioned his safety to this extent. The most dangerous moment in his life was when the sheriff's son dared him to climb to the elementary school's roof one day at recess. He managed to get to the top only to fall and break his left arm after that. 

"Dusty," he called as calmly as he could, sweeping his eyes again through the darkness. He could see the shapes of trees and trash cans in the alleyways between houses, but nothing was out of the ordinary. Dusty huffed as he brushed against Levi's leg for a second time. The dog's brown eyes glanced up into his own of gold before he dashed off toward his own home. 

Without his four-legged companion, he noticed his heart beating faster. He stuck his hands in his hoodie's pocket and hunched over slightly. "Only a few more blocks," he told himself, "and then I'll be home." 

His foot hit an empty can on the ground; he nearly jumped from his skin. Levi shook his head with an ironic smile and stooped down to pick it up. Walking to the nearest trashcan, he dropped it in and congratulated himself on his bit of community service. He froze when his eyes caught a whiff of cigarette smoke in the alley. 

Neither the Pinesons nor the Hayfields smoked. 

"Think rationally, Levi," he thought. Maybe someone had a friend over who smoked. Maybe Dr. Pineson had had enough stress to start a nicotine habit; perhaps Mrs. Hayfield finally gave in again to her old addiction. His hands balled into fists as he slowly made his way toward the end of the alley. "Hello?" 

He heard the distinctive blow of smoke into the air and coughed. "Who might you be?" asked a gruff voice in reply. 

Hoarsely, he said, "I could ask you the same thing." 

A figure in a long, dark coat stepped forward and examined Levi with a raised eyebrow. The dim light of the half-moon was enough to tell the teenager this was a middle-aged man with a lined face and a deep frown. He held his breath while he waited for...something.

"Are you familiar with this area?" 

"I've lived in Silvermoor all my life," he explained, quickly adding, "and I have never seen you before." 

"Well, that's a simple answer: this is my first time here." The man dropped his cigarette and stomped on it with his boot. He took a step toward Levi. "Could you direct me to a motel, perhaps?" 

Levi crossed his arms as he stepped back. "I'm no tour guide." 

"This town hasn't got much to tour. I just need a place to stay." The man's eyes flicked between Levi and the darkness around them. "You know, kids like you shouldn't be out at this time." 

"Silvermoor isn't a dangerous place," he chided. The man scoffed, so he decided to test him. "Well, it usually isn't, until some stranger wanders around in the middle of the night."

"I would hardly be wandering if you would just show me to a place I can stay, would I?" 

Levi narrowed his eyes into a glare. "Fine. Just know that if anything happens to me, all of Silvermoor will search for me." 

They began walking in the direction of the Silver and Gold Inn, a small-scale bed and breakfast owned by Chase Winters. He was Levi's best friend's father, and he would certainly not be leading a stranger to him if not for the fact that there was nowhere else in town for him to go. 

"So, you're a very close community, you would say?" 

"Yeah, I guess so. It's a small town; everyone knows everyone." He shrugged. "Why does it matter? Are you thinking of moving here?" 

"You say that like it's an odd thing." 

Levi's pace slowed. He pursed his lips and messed with a stray lock of hair. "I can't actually remember anyone ever moving into town. Some people moved away and came back, but I don't really know anyone who isn't from Silvermoor." 

The stranger's silence left him uneasy. Thankfully, he didn't have to deal with it for long; they stood at the doors of the Silver and Gold Inn. The man pulled out another cigarette; Levi frowned deeply. "I'll go in first and let him know to have a room ready for you."

Levi walked in and was immediately greeted by an enthusiastic Chase. "Hey, Levi! What are you doing out and about so late?"

"Oh, I was just walking home and-" 

"Do you want me to call Jar down?"

"No, no, it's-"

"Wait, do your parents know you're here?" Chase sniffed the air and raised his eyebrows. "Hold on...why do you smell like smoke?"

"About that..." he glanced behind his shoulder as the bells chimed to signal the door opening. "I found this guy on my way home, and he needs a place to stay."

Chase's eyes narrowed at the stranger as he glanced over him quickly. Then, his eyes widened, and his mouth fell slightly open. "Levi, why don't you go home?" 

"What's wrong?" 

"Nothing, it's just late. You did the right thing, bringing this man here. Good for you, son." Chase came out from behind the counter and placed a hand on Levi's shoulder. "Go home." 

Although he'd always considered Chase another part of his family, he knew how stern he could be. His intense expressions were enough to haunt his nightmares, so he took his advice and stepped outside. Then, he sat on a nearby bench with validated suspicion of the stranger. 

"Who are you?" asked Chase lowly.

"I don't think you need to know that." The stranger had some laughter in his tone. 

"What are you?"

"I think you already know the answer." 

"Say it," demanded Chase in a growl.

Levi heard ching as the wooden floor creaked beneath the stranger's boots. "I," he said pointedly, "am a hunter. And you, Chase Winters, are my prey." 

"I'll be damned if that happens." 

An unnatural growl and laughter inside convinced Levi it was time to run home and pray for his friend's safety. 

Whoever that stranger was, he would be nothing but trouble for Silvermoor. 

June 01, 2021 22:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.