11 comments

Funny

                                  Soulful singers

 Whatsapp groups are a common medium of interaction these days. Especially after the pandemic that has struck the entire world and any kind of social gatherings, movements and interactions are restricted, it is the music groups which act not only as medium of information but entertainment as well. MUSIC GROUPS which are formed are basically meant for music lovers. Music lovers can be people from any walk of life or profession , they may be doctors, advocates, teachers, police , judges, retd army professional, housewives ……….. one thing in common is their love and dedication for music. Ofcourse while some of them do sing well, for others it is mainly a source of fun, entertainment, interaction, forming social contacts and taking out their frustrations as well. J

Hey Anjali ! Wassup? How are your music classes going on? ASKED Aditya to ANJALI in a whatsapp conversation.  Aditya was a friend of Anjali , and as they both had a passion for music , in order to upgrade themselves professionally they had joined the music classes taken by Vipul, who was himself a renowned singer.

They both were members of many music groups. All the music groups , supposedly meant for music lovers had their own sets of rules, regulations and discipline. It was mandatory to maintain the decorum of the group, besides because they were supposedly meant to chill out, relax and have fun.

Hey Anjali why don’t you join a music group by the name “Soulful singers?” . Anjali was not aware of that and she asked Aditya “ which one is it?”, I have not heard. “Ah ! Anjali it’s a fantastic group. Its managed by Mr Vimal Chaddha and its quite a decent one. “ And why the name “Soulful singers?”.

“Oh my dear Anjali ! That’s because it is believed that they put their souls into singing. Mr Vimal the admin was a familiar face for Anjali as she had met him once during a music show.

It was quite exciting in the beginning as everyday a new theme was assigned to sing a song of any choice. The theme was mostly based on the movie names/ actors/ actresses/ emotions/ seasons anything and everything.

But, the real fun was the daily challenge and Anjali enjoyed singing the beautiful melodies. Initially Anjali was appreciated in the group as well.

However, a few weeks later , Anjali felt that the group members behaved quite weirdly with each other. It was a kind of inner circle that existed in the group and the members who were close to the admin were being given more attention than others and were also appreciated for the songs that they sung no matter , good bad or ugly.

Mr Vimal though was a very decent and good man ,  sometimes  used to pass weird comments on some of the group members. Often these remarks were sarcastic and biased towards some singers. Anjali, had got her sister and brother also added in the group. Once her sister just sent a greeting in the group in form of a beautiful picture and God knows what came upon Mr Vimal that he just snubbed her in front of the whole group literally scolding her” Madam, you guys don’t understand the rules of the group and again and again commit the same mistake” .

“Anjali whats this? Who gave Mr Vimal a right to insult me like this? “ Who does he think he is?” I am also a respectable person working in a reputed firm! I am very offended!!!!” her sister was very furious. I don’t want to be a part of this group. IT WAS A SIMPLE GOOD MORNING MESSAGE! She exclaimed .

“ I know sister, the rule of this group is not to have any poster as greetings , but I do understand there is a way of putting things up” , Anjali somehow tried to pacify her.

The group members close to the admin never wanted Anjali or any other newcomer have proximity with the admin. Though , Mr Vimal could be called a fair enough singer, who did sing pretty well, however always had a room for improvement. Some of the group members buttered and flattered him everytime even in his most average  performances just to impress him. Anjali , sometimes felt that even on singing well  was not much appreciated by Mr Vimal as much as he appreciated the other singers.

 Maithija, a seasoned singer with a good voice and a professional degree in music seemed to have a special affinity for the group and she was also respected and looked upon by the other group members as well. Mr Vimal acted biased towards her as she was given a kind of leverage of acting funny in the group. Often she came across as being bit proud and moody and did not take any negative feedback given to her in a positive manner. She had a breathing issue at times in the song which though was genuine but perhaps also a hindrance in performance and didn’t sound too well.

“Oh ! dear your sense of music is not good ! You should practice well its not upto the mark at all. “ I don’t know why these days we get so many music invitations. These days everyone is having facebook live programs don’t know why. Anyways best of luck dear! “ was her response on some of the invites.

“I know sir I have breathing issues and I am very well aware of the same. But, I don’t agree with the comments that you have given me. I have a professional degree in music. “I don’t need your feedback”

Mr Vimal never commented to any of the rude remarks made by Maithija anytime.

“Why don’t you guys participate and why do you keep on jumping in and out of the group at your own sweet will ? “ Maithija used to sometimes dictate as well in the entire group.

The rules of the group were very strict but only for some members, for others it was a very cool group. Mr Vimal often came across  as a very strict admin  but the members who used to answer him back or misbehaved or were rude to him, he could not say much to them but acted funny to the rest others.

One fine morning , one Mr Bishan greeted the group members with a lovely flower greeting and Mr Vimal removed him immediately. In another incident, a group member by the name Ms Meenu who could not post a audio song and posted a video song instead was asked by Mr Vimal to remove the song immediately. She kind of rebuked him and there was a little bit of tension and debate in the group. It was later silenced by Mrs Meenu’s absence from the music group.

Music groups are formed for creativity and passion of the singers, it’s a dedication and a calling of the soul. But these groups instead of becoming a great source of happiness become a source of misery and ego clashes for some members. Members are often ridiculed by the admin for not giving feedback or for invalid postings which are not so invalid.

“Hey Anjali, thank you for the feedback “. Mr Vimal once complimented Anjali for the hard work that she had put in the feedbacks she had given to the group. “ Most of the group members put feedback halfheartedly and in half the time. Anjali was never included in the “inverted standing ovation “ compliment , that was reserved extensively for the flag bearers of flattery. Anjali realized that these music groups were created for networking , the flattery of the big who’s who in the music industry, it had nothing to do with creativity but it was means of being associated and showing off.

Ironically, a lot of negatively revolves in a group meant to be so creative, so magical. Lot of politics, jealousy, the desire of recognition at all costs.

This is extended to stage shows as well. People are not given chances most of the times. It is the rich and the influential who rule the game. New people are not accepted anywhere itsa journey of insults, of heartaches, ego battles, opportunities lost . Most of soulful singers lack the soul of passion, respect , etiquettes , creativity , humanity and above all – love for music.

Soulful singers though a reasonable group is also non accommodating to newcomers and lacks soul at times………

August 28, 2020 05:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

13:23 Nov 10, 2020

The story was great

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
17:30 Nov 16, 2020

Thnks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:39 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Alka would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
10:00 Sep 08, 2020

That's a unique concept. Interesting story. Well written with the soul singers. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story? Thanks.

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
09:07 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks 👍😍 sure I will

Reply

Keerththan 😀
09:10 Sep 10, 2020

Welcome!!! Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:56 Sep 03, 2020

Dear Alka, It's a good attempt to showcase the hypocrisy of social media but at the same time I felt it moved a little from the pattern of story narration. I would read your other submissions to know more about your writing style. Keep writing. Best of luck.

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
11:34 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks so much for your feedback 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ravi Joshi
19:17 Aug 29, 2020

True , this kind of atmosphere do exists but the passion takes u past such insensible personalities 😊👍

Reply

Alkaa Sharma
19:36 Aug 29, 2020

Yes very true

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Prathamesh Chavan
13:23 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, Alka Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.