0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Funny

           Lizzy Green sat on her favorite bench in the park. She'd just gotten off a long shitty shift. Dealing with johns all night wasn't how she'd envisioned her life going. If it weren't for this bench and park, she might be tempted to end it all.

           At least, that's how she thought sometimes, especially after rough nights like last night. She'd serviced at least a dozen different men using her mouth, hands and other body parts and, at least for a while, held almost two grand for her work. Her pimp took the bulk of it, leaving her five hundred. He told her to go home, sleep and get cleaned up for tonight, but Lizzy was too wound up. She needed nature.

           Green sipped her large coffee as she enjoyed looking at the grass and flowers, which had just begun blooming with the advent of spring. She thought nature's sap wasn't the only that was rising, not after her night. She never understood why, but the park's creatures always came to her, gathered round, but at a safe distance. It was almost as if they were waiting for something.

           Lizzy leaned her head back and took a deep breath. She could smell the first flowers of the season. It was nice. She raised her head for another sip of coffee and saw squirrels and birds nearby. "No need to be shy," she said, joking and expecting nothing, "come on over and chat." Her mouth fell open when they did just that.

           "We've been waiting for you," a robin said. "We've waited for a long time."

           "That's true," a squirrel agreed. "We've watched and waited."

           "Holy shit," Green said, "how can I understand what you're saying?'

           The animals laughed in their own way. "He told us you'd be surprised," a cardinal said.

           "That he did," a pigeon said, "that he did."

           "He," Lizzy said, "he who? Answer my question, how can I understand you?"

           An eagle landed on the bench beside Green, scaring the hell out of her. The eagle waited until she'd calmed down before saying. "You understand us because of who you are, like he said. You aren't who you think."

           "Somebody must have slipped me something last night," Lizzy thought. "I've gotta be tripping. People don't talk to animals." She took another drink of coffee, following it with another long swig, hoping the caffeine would help her come down from whatever she'd been given. It didn't help.

           Green sat there, trying to clear her head, trying to get a grasp on what was going on. "OK," she eventually said, "let's say I buy all this as being real. Tell me who's this 'he' you keep talking about?"

           "All in due time," said a barn owl that had fluttered down on her other side. "All in due time. For now, you should get some rest. Take tonight off and come by first thing in the morning. We'll answer all of your questions them. He may even deign to come along. He's been waiting an eternity to meet you."

           It was Lizzy's turn to laugh. "If I don't work tonight, my pimp will beat my ass if I'm lucky, and if I'm not, he'll put me in the hospital. I can't afford that because I don't have any insurance."

           The eagle stretched its mighty wings. "Worry not, young miss," it said, "your pimp will not lay a hand on you. I'll see to that personally."

           "Fine," she said, "I'll take tonight off. No way I'd be any good anyway, not hallucinating the way I am." Lizzy left, heading for her apartment. She thought it'd be nice to have a night off, but was worried about Leon, her pimp. He was cool as long as she made money, but got pissy when she didn't. So far, all he'd done was slap her around a little when she didn't make as much as he thought she should. He was pleased with her night and let her keep more than usual, which was good as she had bills due.

           Back at her apartment, Lizzy showered and crashed, falling asleep literally when her head hit the pillow, which wasn't surprising.

           However, things at the park were different. The animals, friend and enemy, had gathered under a majestic oak tree to discuss things. Visitors to the park noted this odd occurrence, but ignored it, writing it off as the animals being happy it was finally spring after a brutal winter.

           "Owl and I will protect the young miss," the eagle said. "I suggest friend robin go and find him, letting him know she'll be here on the morrow. If you don't mind," he said, addressing the squirrels, "please serve as lookouts for her pimp, herself, and, of course, himself." They agreed to the arrangement, with the robin taking off on its search.

           The owl sought shelter for the day to get some rest. It would be in for a long night, it knew, as did the eagle. However, the eagle didn't need sleep the way the owl did. No, the eagle flew off in search of food. It would need plenty of sustenance before the night was over.

           A pixie appeared behind a flower, watching and listening. It smiled at what it learned and vanished to do its job. The pixie returned to its people with the report. Messengers was chosen from among the rest to contact the fae and other wee folk. It was time and they were more than ready. Nothing could be allowed to go wrong.

           Lizzy woke up at five that afternoon, having forgotten everything about the morning. What she recalled, she considered a weird dream. She had some idea about agreeing to take the night off, but knew Leon wouldn't stand for that. She at the rest of the leftover pizza in her fridge, brushed her teeth, showered again and got dressed for the night's work.

           The park wasn't her normal area to work, but she had the idea it would be profitable tonight. She picked up her cell, tapping Leon's number. "Leon," she said when he picked up, "I'm gonna work the park tonight. Got a feeling it'll be worthwhile."

           "It better be, bitch," he replied. "You better bring in a shitload of dead presidents tonight. Ain't nobody ever made dick working the park."

           "Trust me," she said. "It'll all work out."

           "I don' trust no one bitch. Let alone some skank selling her ass." He hung up. Lizzy was concerned, knowing she'd be in trouble if her hunch didn't pay off. But the feeling was too strong to ignore. It was almost as though she was being pulled to the park.

           Lizzy pulled on her tightest and shortest micro-mini skirt, black silk panties, fishnet stockings, thigh-high boots and lowest cut top. They were all black. The top had but one button, that at the bottom. Her ample breasts were practically falling out. For contrast, she added a couple of gold chains, which stood out against her bronze skin (she tanned regularly to maintain a tan). Checking the mirror, she smiled with the results, reached in a drawer, pulling out a fist full of condoms. She was ready.

           "The park," she thought, "why did I think this would be a good place?" Lizzy had witnessed other hookers plying their trade there with no luck. Still, the feeling wouldn't go away. She knew she had to be at the park tonight.

           She was greeted by a cat, which was strange as she'd never seen one in the area before. "So glad you could come, young miss," it said. "All is in readiness for you."

           "Fuck me," she thought. "I can understand what it said. That's not possible." Lizzy began running, heedless of where she went. The cat followed, easily keeping pace. She was deep in the park when she quit running, breathing heavily, sweating, her carefully applied makeup streaked and ruined.

           The owl watched from its perch in a tree, as did the squirrels and other birds. Lizzy looked for a restroom, knowing she needed to wash her face and reapply her makeup. Time, though, wasn't on her side as a man approached.

           "What have we here?" he said, walking toward her.

           Lizzy went into hooker mode. "Honey," she said, her voice silky smooth, "I'm the answer to all your dreams."

           He grinned. "That you are, my dear, that you are." Lizzy was shaking her tits in an attempt to entice him and failed to see the dagger he'd pulled from the back of his pants until it was too late. "Now," he said, "let's have some real fun."

           The blade flashed. Lizzy fell. The man laughed. Lizzy scrambled to her feet, turning to run. She heard a scream and turned back. "Get off me," he yelled, slashing the air with the blade, hitting nothing. Green was taken aback at the sight of the eagle raking its claws across the man's face. It was joined by the owl, who's beak was ripping at the man's neck. She saw a glut of blood explode from the opening the owl created. Both birds flew away.

           "We said we'd take care of you," the eagle said, "and we will. At least until the morning when he arrives."

           The owl flew over, dropping the man's wallet at her feet. "You may as well have this," it said, taking to the skies. Lizzy picked up the wallet, removed all the cash, wiped it off and tossed it back on the body. She hadn't bothered counting the money, but it was a thick wad.

           She staggered to a bathroom, went into a stall and threw up the remains of her pizza. Once she was done retching, Lizzy went to the sink, ran cold water, sipping what she could and washed her face. Putting on more makeup didn't occur to her. Paper towels were used to dry her hands and face.

           Green had seen plenty of strange shit and dead bodies during her time as a hooker, but talking animals killing a potential murderer was one for the books. It was still early, barely nine o'clock. The last thing she wanted was to be trapped under some man while he spent his lust inside her, or to have him thrusting against the back of her throat. She wanted nothing to do with men at the moment.

           Knowing there wouldn't be anyone around, Lizzy headed to her favorite spot. It was eerily lit up with light's she'd never seen. She didn't care. She went to what she considered her bench and sat down. She watched the lights as they began to flitter around, flying just out of reach. She could swear the lights were talking.

           "It's really her," they said.

           "She's the one."

           "He'll be here soon."

           "At last, it is time once again. Let us rejoice."

           Lizzy began to remember her morning there, how the animals talked to her and how she'd thought it must have been drugs. "That's it," she thought, "I'm still stoned. Whatever it was I was slipped, it's some good shit. No aftereffects and lasts a long time. I can't imagine what it was, but it can go any time. I'm ready to come down."

           Her head lolled forward as she fell asleep as the adrenaline wore off. There were no dreams and no one bothered her, though several people passed by, with good reason - Lizzy Green was being protected. She woke a few hours later, warm and comfortable, the feel of fur on her. Opening her eyes, Lizzy saw wolves on either side of her, asleep. At her feet was curled a mountain lion, while a brown bear stood guard behind her.

           "What's going on," she said.

           "Be not afraid," the bear said, "he sent us with orders to guard you until his arrival. Others are here as well."

           "Others, what others?"

           The mountain lion raised its head, "Why the wee folk, fae, pixies, leprechauns and such. They've been watching you as well. Didn't you see them earlier?"

           "All I saw was lights in the air."

           "Aye, that was them," the lion said. "They're here for you, too. It is nearly time."

           Dawn was breaking. Lizzy saw Leon coming toward her. He looked upset and ignored all the animals surrounding her.

           "Where's my money, bitch!" he yelled.

           Lizzy reached in her purse for the wad taken from the mugger. A wolf put its paw on her hand, growling at Leon. "Leon," she said, "stop, don't come any closer."

           "You threatenin' me bitch?" he said. "I'm gonna have to punish you good, show you who's boss 'roun' here."

           The wolves raised up, hackles rising. The mountain lion moved, readying itself to pounce while the bear turned toward Leon giving a low growl. "Yo pets don' scare me none," he said, pulling a switchblade from his pocket.

           "No, Leon," she cried, "don't. You don't understand, they're here to protect me..."

           "You need some protection, bitch. You gonna need more than that when I'm through with your sorry ass."

           He moved forward, as did the bear. Leon began to slice at the bear, only to have it slap the knife out of his hand. A second blow struck the pimp upside the head, knocking him back. Both wolves landed on his chest, growling, fangs bared. Leon pissed himself, and felt his ass cheeks opening as well."

           "I hope I'm not too late," a voice said. The animals calmed down. The wolves simply sat on Leon's chest, not allowing him to move. A man stood there, reasonably tall and attractive, but, Lizzy thought, nothing to write home about.

           Now, the fae and wee folk were visible to Lizzy's eyes. "Oh, my god," she said, "this is real."

           "Quite real," the man said. Lizzy looked at him. He held a hand toward Lizzy, who took it and stood up.

           "Who are you?" she asked.

           "I have been called many things. To the fae and wee people, I am simply the weatherman. He who makes it rain and brings forth the sun. To others, I am a curse, creating droughts, tornadoes, hurricanes and floods. Some see me as death itself as they freeze in the cold or suffer a horrid death in extreme heat.

           "What does this have to do with me?" Lizzy said.

           He smiled. "You, my dear, are the chosen one."

           "Bullshit," she said, gathering her wits about her. "I may be a lot of things, but I ain't no chosen one."

           "Ah, but you are," he said. "Once every millennia a young woman is chosen to be my companion for the next thousand years. She is to bear and raise my children, making ready for the next chosen one.

           Lizzy put her hands on her hips and looked him right in the eye. "I ain't nobody's baby factory," she said in no uncertain terms. "I may be nothing more than a hooker right now, but I was planning to quit that soon. Now's as good a time as any."

           "You ain't going nowhere bitch. You belong to me," Leon said, fearing the loss of income and forgetting his predicament. The mountain lion rested its paw on his throat, claws extended. Leon shit himself again.

           "I fear you can't refuse," the weatherman said. "There will be naught but chaos if you do."

           "Then find somebody else," she said. "I've had enough of this shit." She walked over to Leon and kicked him square in the balls. "I quit you pathetic cocksucker. As far as I'm concerned, these guys can eat you for breakfast." The wolves grinned while the mountain lion purred.

           She turned to the weatherman. "You can kiss my fine ass as well," she said, spun on her heel and walked off.

           "I'll be damned," the weatherman said. "That's never happened before."

           He saw another young woman sitting on the bench and headed toward her, hoping for better luck this time.

March 20, 2021 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.