0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

I got closer to the lights, it was still hard for me to keep my eyes open underwater even though I'd been there for nearly a century. I don't know how I ended up at the bottom of the ocean, or how I survived, but I did. Whoever or whatever it was that held me captive managed to keep me alive. The tiny lights got closer, I forget what they're called. I remember the lights being the last thing I saw before I was dragged to the bottom of the dark ocean. During my journey to the bottom of the ocean I remember another person being there, I wonder what happened to them. On my course to the surface I saw many ocean creatures, many of them ugly but somehow majestic. Others beautiful but they manage to be clumsy. Most scary, I could never really get used to them; they had giant jaws and long fangs. despite all the terrifying creatures, there are many creatures that resemble humans, some of them were nice and were keen to communicate with me others were very angry at anything who even came close to them. I love the ocean, I remember that I used to love sailing on my father's ship, it was a truly grand ship. There was one light bigger than the others, I remember that one, I once called it the moon. I got dangerously close to breaking the surface of the cold water. I stayed under the water as long as I could until it got too shallow to swim, I didn't immediately come out of the water. I haven't seen light in forever, I'm glad it was dark outside of the water. I finally decided to stand up, it was harder to stand than I'd anticipated. So instead of standing up I got to my knees, then to my feet. I took a breath in and my nose and throat began to dry out and I coughed. My ears popped, it made me feel dizzy. I took in my surroundings, to my right there was a rock poking out of the water, The calm ripples in the water splashing into it. I could tell where the water crashed into it, the top of the rock had moss on it; the bottom half was still a gray blue color. To my left the small almost calm waves were crashing onto the sand and then falling back into the ocean. In front of me there was more sand that led to a towering cliff, I spotted a small and narrow path leading around the cliff, I'd investigate that later. I looked back to the bottom of the cliff, strange holes that looked ancient sat at the base of the escarpment. I turned around to look back out to the wide, murky, mysterious ocean. I sat on the rock, a gust of salty wind hit me in the face, causing me to shiver making me realize I was soaking wet and should get out of the wind before I catch a cold. I decided to stay for a few moments to admire how beautiful the ocean is. The moon cast a beam of bright light down onto the smooth black surface of the ocean. I remembered the small lights and looked back up at them, I still can't remember what they're called...I decided to go to the path that was across towards the cliff, I started walking as best as I could over to the path. The wet sand squished up through my toes. My legs felt really heavy, it was hard to pick them up and put one in front of the other. I finally made it over to the path, I saw another rock, this one was also covered in moss and looked comfortable for a rock, I sat down for a moment, I'd forgotten how much I loved the crisp, cool air of the night. I began to think about what the tiny lights in the sky were called, I still had no idea; it was frustrating. I got up and started on the path, which I now know is an uphill path that leads around the back of the escarpment. The trek up the hill was really hard and tiring. But the back of the cliff seemed to be grassy. The long grass would be nice to lay in. The path was smooth dry sand, on the edges of the path long blades of grass grew and swayed in the cool night breeze, I shivered. The path surprised me when I realized it wasn't that long, the cliff looked a lot bigger from shore. Long grass at the top of the cliff came up to my knee, I decided to lay down in the grass and look up at the sky. Once again I found myself thinking about the small lights in the black sky. I couldn't tell if they were far away and big or close up and really tiny. I like to think they're really far away, they're from a place that I've never been before. I noticed an odd sound, it sounded familiar...I think the sound is crickets, that sounds right to me. I noticed the sound of the ocean, it'd been a long time since I'd heard the ocean from above the surface. I noticed the sound of wind rustling through the long grass and gliding across my body. The wind rustling through the grass, the sounds of the rippling water and the crickets singing made a kind of music I haven't heard in such a long time; something about it was calming. I turned my attention back to the sky, my eyes started to close and I started to drift off, I vaguely remember the word star, I opened my eyes again, even though they didn't want to open; I stared at the sky and finally admired the small lights in all their glory, they had a name now, they are stars, and they're beautiful tiny lights that decorate the black sky. My eyes closed.

March 05, 2021 03:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.