Five-o'clock Tea with Remiel and Azrael.

Submitted into Contest #231 in response to: Write a story about hope.... view prompt

2 comments

Speculative Christian

Note: This is a very personal story, for I am the author.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"So, here we are, on the brink of 2024. I gotta admit, I'm scared. Gut-churning, anxiety-ridden scared. The future's got this ominous vibe, you know? Finances are hanging by a thread, and there's this fear, a whisper that it might all come crashing down – a brutal disease, the end of the line for my short, little story."

"But hey, I'm not one to wallow alone. So, I'm sending out prayers, like distress signals into the cosmic void. Maybe someone's listening up there, someone with a bigger pen than mine. And lo and behold, in comes Remiel, the Archangel of Hope, and Azrael, the Archangel of Death. I mean, seriously, did the big guy upstairs get my memo or what?"

REMIEL: "Hey there, mortal! Heard you were in a bit of a tight spot. The big guy sent us down to chat."

"Uh, yeah, I mean, wow. This is unexpected."

AZRAEL: "(nods) It happens. We've seen it all, kid. Hope and despair, they're our specialties."

"Yeah, well, right now, despair's hogging the spotlight. I'm drowning in uncertainty, and the fear is suffocating."

REMIEL: "(smirks) Fear's a sneaky one, ain't it? But look, we're not here to lecture. We're here for a cosmic tête-à-tête."

"A cosmic what now?"

AZRAEL: "(smiling) A chat, my friend. A chat that might just put things in perspective. You've got the Archangel of Hope and Death himself in your corner. How often does that happen?"

"Yeah, lucky me."

REMIEL "(laughs) Come on, lighten up. We're not here to doom and gloom. We're here to shoot the breeze, maybe even crack a joke or two."

AZRAEL: "(deadpan) Jokes might be pushing it, Remiel."

"Well, I could use a distraction. Lay it on me, cosmic messengers."

The AUTHOR, hunched over his desk, laptop open, speaks nervously to the celestial visitors.

"You guys ever get scared? Like, truly scared? It's not just the bills piling up, it's this gnawing pain in my gut. The doctors say it could be bad – really bad. I'm staring into the abyss here, and it's staring right back at me."

REMIEL: "(sympathetic) Fear is a part of the human experience. But don't let it consume you, mortal. What's eating at you?"

"They talk about this disease like it's a beast, ready to pounce. It could rob me of everything – my future, my dreams, my damn life. And I can't shake it off."

AZRAEL: "(grim) Life's a gamble, kid. Sometimes you draw a bad hand. But that doesn't mean the game's over. You gotta play it out."

"Play it out, huh? Easy for you to say. You don't know what it's like to feel this fear, this uncertainty."

REMIEL: "(leaning closer) Maybe not, but we know about hope. It's a force that can carry you through the darkest of times. You've got more strength in you than you realize."

"Strength? Feels more like I'm hanging by a thread here, waiting for it to snap."

AZRAEL: "(smiling) Threads can be stronger than you think. And sometimes, all it takes is a little nudge to make them hold."

"Nudge, huh? What kind of cosmic nudge are we talking about?"

REMIEL: "(confident) The nudge of hope, my friend. You're not alone in this struggle. We're here, and so is something greater."

"Hope, huh? Sounds like a long shot."

AZRAEL: "(grinning) Long shots pay off too. You might just surprise yourself."

The AUTHOR, anxiety etched on his face, leans in, questioning the Archangel of Death.

"Am I gonna die? Just lay it out for me. No sugarcoating. I can handle it."

AZRAEL: "(smirking) Kid, knowing the expiration date doesn't make the milk taste any better. You're asking the wrong question."

"Just answer me! Is this it for me?"

AZRAEL: "(cool) Truth is, I'm not here to give you a countdown. It's not about when, it's about how you live until then. Knowing an inevitability just makes you more miserable."

"Miserable? I'm already miserable, man. I just want to know if there's any point in hoping for a tomorrow."

AZRAEL: "(sincere) Hoping for a tomorrow is exactly the point. But whether you have one or a hundred, that's not my call."

The AUTHOR glances at Remiel, seeking a different angle.

"What about you, Hope? Any words of wisdom?"

REMIEL: "(smiling) Hope is the greatest weapon against the unknown. It's not about avoiding the end; it's about the journey, the fight. The Lord demands courage, not certainty."

"Courage? I'm scared out of my damn mind."

REMIEL: "(leaning in) And that's okay. Courage isn't the absence of fear; it's the will to persist despite it. Keep your hope burning, your desire to live. The time will come, sure as the rising sun, but until then, you gotta live every moment with purpose."

"Purpose, huh?"

AZRAEL: "(nods) Purpose gives life meaning, even in the face of uncertainty. Don't let the fear of the end rob you of the joy of the journey."

The AUTHOR, his conversation with the Archangels concluded, looks at them with a mix of gratitude and introspection.

"I appreciate you guys taking the time. It's not every day you get a visit from Hope and Death."

AZRAEL: "(smiling) We don't punch the clock, kid. Just remember what we talked about."

REMIEL: "(smiling) Remember o child of the Lord, you are stronger than you might think about yourself. Harsh and difficult times knock on the door of everyone who lives. But hope, born from belief in the Lord, shall give you the power to move forward."

The Archangels begin to fade, their ethereal forms blending into the cosmic tapestry.

"Yeah, I'll remember."

As the celestial beings vanish, the AUTHOR is left alone in the room. He takes a moment, then, with a deep breath, he kneels and bows his head in prayer.

"Lord, thanks for sending your messengers. For Hope and whatever lessons Death brings. Bless me with the strength to face what comes."

In the quiet room, the AUTHOR's prayer continues, a heartfelt plea for guidance, mercy, and love.

"I ain't perfect, Lord, but I'm trying. Just give me a sign that I'm not alone in this."

The room seems to be still as the AUTHOR's words hang in the air. There's a sense of vulnerability, a raw openness in his plea.

"I'll carry the lessons and the hope they brought. Help me face the unknown with courage."

As the author finishes his prayer, a quiet peace settles in the room. The dim light seems to shimmer, and for a moment, there's a profound connection between the mortal and the divine.

"Amen."

January 03, 2024 04:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
05:29 Jan 03, 2024

Amen to that. Thanks for the follow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
04:21 Jan 07, 2024

Belief and hope is hard in a dark world. The way is narrow that leads to the truth and the light. It is often difficult. It's easier to walk in the wide way where everything can be ignored until it's too late. The struggle reminds us of who we are and where we are on the journey. In the end, HOPE is all we have. Thanks for sharing your personal struggles. I hope you remain well and strong in your faith.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.