Hate to love

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

3 comments

Kids


I HATE DOGS!!! They are… I don't know… the most yuckish animals on the Earth. I have been in love with my parents .Ever since they have adopted me, I have loved them. But right now I couldn't help but hate them. I mean what kind of parents send you to your nightmare. I have cried, shouted, begged and refused in a thousand ways possible and yet they are sending me to the ranch. That's not fair. I feel like stomping my foot and crying when I see my older brother(adopted), Liam come towards me grinning. 

"Come Rosie, it's time to go."

"It's all because of you" I say jabbing my fingers in his chest. "If you didn't own that stupid ranch where you train those fierce dogs i wouldn't have been dragged into this mess."

 "Mess? I think you are damn lucky that you have me. Or wouldn't you be a joke, 17 year old girl afraid of touching a pup because he will end up licking her hands and feet. Huh?"

I know that sounds stupid, but i can't control it. Not i love those vicious dogs that he trains. For me dogs within 50m radius are a potent danger. 


Few hours later 


We arrived at the ranch late at night as it is at the outskirts of the city. Liam had driven the better part of the day and I bet he had to be dog tired, and yet as soon as he saw the ranch his face lit up. Like a child's who is being given early Christmas gifts. All the dogs had started barking as the truck had entered the ranch gates. On the porch was his partner waiting for us. As soon as he steps out all the dogs pounce on him and he is on ground in no time under the weight of all those massive giants of dogs. He laughs playing with the cups who are yet to be trained. 

I look for Tigris, the mutt dog that Liam has had since he was an orphan. It was his attachment to this dog and unwavering determination to not leave him behind that many of couples hadn't adopted him. Our parents had adopted him when he was 12 year old. After two years I was also adopted by them, I was 8 years old. Anyway Tigris is the only mutt dog here, others are mostly German shepherds, Rottweiler, Doberman pinscher, Boxer  but there are four Golden Retrievers which Mike, Liam's partner, had insisted on training. All these dogs are trained for the security purpose of the family.

Liam has completely forgotten about me.  And a few dogs linger behind sniffing the air and I feel trapped in the car. It's then I hear a loud bark and all the dogs stop and look towards the porch. Tigris is barking at them as if ordering all of them. And all the dogs immediately get away from the car. I wonder if there is something like ranking dogs too?? Anyway I don't ponder much about it and quickly get out of the car, running towards the house. I throw a grateful smile at Tigris and dart inside. The house has two levels withmany glass sliding doors. In fact it feels like the house has been made dog safe. Though I don't think any of the dogs will be able to come in here till i am living here.


The next day


It's 6 am and I am awakened by the constant barks that I can hear through the windows. Tossing and turning to grab a few hours of sleep I put the pillow on my head but it's useless. As soon as I am comfortable enough to go back to sleep again a knock comes.

 "I swear I am gonna kill anyone who is standing there." I mutter before getting out of bed. As I open the gate I am ready to blow both of the boys' heads out when I freeze. On the door is none other than Tigris. When it sees my frozen state he moves closer to the other wall. When I still don't move he sighs and moves towards the end of the hallway. And barks pointing his nose towards the way outside the node and pointing towards my clothes. Indicating I need to change. although I am not sure how she can, she understands and sits there waiting. 

I brush my teeth and after grabbing  a quick shower, I change into a plain bright blue T-shirt and black capri. Heading out I see Tigris has still not moved from its position. I walk towards her but stop a few steps from. But anyone can see that's an improvement. Walking outside I see the dogs practising. Liam and Mike are also running but in a smaller radius than the dogs around the house. The pups are with them whereas the mature ones are at the perimeter. 


A week latter


I think my parents trick has worked. Cause even though i don't ket the dogs lick me up i do usually give them a stroke or two behind the ears or on the stomach where they love it and start wagging their tails. I have all but a few trips outside the ranch because its literally very tiring to even cross the ranch. Even so i haven't seen much people. It's a small town with a few houses mostly scattered aroud. But i know there is one particular competition in close proximity. I mean he is sort so friend and they have a healthy rivalry between them, so the news that both of them are meeting has travelled in the area fast or so i have been told by the boys. 

But i wasn't interested in meeting anyone so here i am caching up on my latest netflix series. Halfway through the show suddenly i hear all the dogs barking even Tigris thats beside the sofa is growling looking towards the door. I panic, i don't know what to do… with shaking fingers i call to Liam's phone which straight goes to voice mail. I don't know how many times i bave told him to charge it… i call Mike's number which he thankfully stored in my phone for in case of emergency.

"Hey Rosie, what's up?"

"Mikee!!! I don't know all the dogs are barking and growling suddenly. I don't know what to do…i...i...i am scared"

"Rosie, calm down okay? Take a deep breath and listen to me carefully"

"Hmm"

"Well Liam and i have locked all the doors but still as precaution stay away from the glass sliding door"

"Ok" i think i will just take peak maybe then my nerves will calm. "We are leaving right now don't worry"

I don't answer as i am tiptoping towards the sliding doors "Aaaahhhhh!!" suddenly I am pushed to the ground. And see Tigris over me before i can react i hear the sound of glass shattering. Few small pieces cut through my skin and i whimper in pain. I see two men in black covering there face and  gun. One of them is pointing towards Tigris. 

"Bammm" someone shoys Tigris in the legs who sways side words and fall on my side a franatic scream escaps me before i can stop it. I think Tigris had all there attention as they don't react for a few moments. I get and run towards the far corner as soon as i can but its no use i know it they have a clear shot and this knowledge has me tripping over my on feet. I try to scramble away but see both men taking dangerous predatory steps towards me. Suddenly a large tumping noise came. In a blink of eye both of them are on the ground with the dogs surrounding the and each one of them having their necks in the mouth of Rottweilers. Tigris standing there with its pawn on its attacker. I neay cry from joy.The guns are been dragged  towards the walls by the pups, I would have found it cute if i would have not known that how dangerous it could be. I grab the guns and slowly place upon the table. Then i get a bandage kit and start working on Tigris thankfully the gun has only nicked it's leg. In no time Liam is here with Mike and someone else i assume as the competitor. I throw myself at Liam who clunhes me like his life depends on it. I hear a low chuckle behind me. Both of us turn to see Mike kneeling in front of Tigris's injured leg. 

"You sure as hell don't fear the dogs now."

I smile at that i definitely don't hate them, infact i might have just fallen in love with all of them.

 ----------------END----------------

May 26, 2020 16:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nicole Escorial
01:25 May 28, 2020

Wow, you really have improved! I see that you now separated the dialogue into decipherable lines, and that makes it easier to read and follow the flow of the story. I also like the concept of your story, for on, because I love dogs, and it also makes me feel like I was the character. Well, I still spotted multiple grammatic and typographical errors. I suggest that you read your piece a lot of times before submitting it. Make sure that you have your "I" in capital, like "I stood far away", and make sure to correctly spell the words. You co...

Reply

Sophia .
04:42 May 29, 2020

Thanks your inputs are really important to me. I was wondering if I could talk to you on any other medium like insta...?

Reply

Nicole Escorial
13:43 Jun 21, 2020

Hi! I'm sorry, I haven't really been active on Reedsy nowadays, that's why I've only seen this today. Regarding your request, I'm not that active on instagram, but I think it should work. I'd be fine with that, and I'd really be glad to help 😇

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.