0 comments

Fiction Suspense Thriller

The birds chirping was my alarm clock for today, TGIF Thank God It’s Friday. The dream I was having was just freedom, a sensation of wonder which I didn’t want to end. The sloth was my avatar today it seems since I was asking every part of my body permission to move, as the sun was trying to creep in, but the Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn window curtains were blocking it. I finally got out of bed, putting on my sandals as the sun came beaming down my face temporarily blinding me as I parted the curtains. The warm breeze comes in as I open the windows as summer comes in early for a preview of things to come as spring season is winding down. Everybody’s usual wakeup call is a cup of coffee but me a nice lukewarm shower along with Chuck Norris’s morning kick drink with some scrambled eggs with ham and some Mexican cheese mixed in. Well, I’m ready for the day to begin as I walk past my work desk as I grab my shades and walk out the door. I got my playlist on as the Bee Gees “Staying Alive” is on passing by Susan the door lady looking at her phone. The beat of the song gets me strutting down the street as a   flow of people walk past me trying to catch their bus to work. I continue to walk, and the smell of freshly baked bread puts me in a trance as I stop in, “Good Morning, Joe, how are you doing today?” Joe waves at me, “Hey, Chayanne what are you doing walking about now, I don’t see you till the weekend, what gives?” “I decided to start my weekend early you know.”  Joe’s eyes widen, “What are you doing, you can’t be doing that you need to get back, you know how it is” “How is it Joe, you tell me you never even thought about not showing up for work one day?” I question Joe. “What are you kidding me the bread industry has been passed down and that’s the way.” I shake my head, “Are you serious the way, do you love it Joe?” “Yes, it’s all I know, I mean it’s the way.” “The way, the way to what, Joe” “It’s how it is and that is it.” I question Joe, “Come on who predetermines, you can do whatever you want no,” I question Joe. Joe shakes his finger, “Chayanne, you need to stop talking that way what are you trying to do.” “Me I’m just talking a walk on a beautiful day because I felt like it, feeling like a little kid right now, ready to play with what the city has to offer.” Joe points his finger at the door, “Chayanne you need to leave my bakery, don’t’ worry the bagels are on the house just go please.” I grab the bag of bagels as I put a five-dollar bill in the tip jar, “Wow you’re spooked okay I will thank you for the bagels,” I walk down the hill towards Riverbank State Park on the Hudson overlooking the George Washington Bridge from a distance. The birds chirping as I take a bite from the warm bagel raisin. I break a few pieces of the bagel and throw some in front of me as a flock of pigeons and small birds come in fighting for their piece, as in the distance I hear an eagle flying high above. It is a sight to see in the city must be taking residence at the Inwood Hill Park, thoughts of flying free and away take hold of me. I break up the rest of bagel and let the small birds and pigeons have at it as I walk away. The urge to take the bike downtown is what I seek as I grab the last remaining Citi bike after walking out the front entrance to Riverbank State Park. The traffic isn’t too bad, so I decided to ride alongside the cars today, because a few years ago I had a fender bender which is always in the back of mind. As I head downtown, I take a right at 59th while crossing a few avenues merging into the Hudson River Bike Lane which goes down and around towards the Brooklyn Bridge as the city has plans for the Hudson River Bike Lane to go around the whole island of Manhattan. The summer vibes are in the air as they’re a few runners and bike riders taking advantage of the summerlike day as the spring winds down.

As head closer to 1 World Trade Center, I veer to the right to make a pit stop at Pier 25 Mini Golf & Volleyball. Why not some mini golf on a late Friday morning let’s do it and since Marianna’s shift starts at 12PM at the Grand Banks right past the Beach Volleyball. “Good morning,” You’re early for some mini golf, aren’t you? the woman behind the counter asks. “Yeah, maybe but you’re open now so why does it matter?” “Oh, it’s just that we don’t see too many people hitting the place till after 2pm,” “Well I’m taking advantage of the beautiful day you know.” “Oh, you work at night huh?” she asks. “No, I don’t actually I’m supposed to be working right now but decided to not show up.” She gasps for air, “Are you okay,” I ask, “Yes just are you serious how and why, you’re not supposed to do that, you have to follow the way.” “Wow, you’re the second person that told me this and that same worried look, why is my job the way, I am free to do what I want, and today I decided to take a break and have fun and a round of 13 holes of mini golf will do thank you very much.” She shakes her head, “Okay you do you but you’re taking a risk.” What a mood killer that woman is, okay time to conquer this mini golf holey moley here I fore.

The warmth of the sun gets a little warmer as the clock strikes 12pm on my watch as I walk away from the mini golf course with a smile to the woman still shaking her head at me. I look up at the sun as an eagle passes right over me. What can’t be the same eagle from uptown, I question. I don’t know why but I’m walking a little slower as my heart begins to beat faster as I see Marianna with her silky black hair in a ponytail wearing a white blouse and black pants accentuating her every curve and athletic toned legs. “Hey, Marianna, what’s up girl,” as I wave my hand walking down the plank to the Grand Banks Boat Bar. Marianna turns around as her hair moves with the luscious bounce and shine like from one of those shampoo commercials. “Wow, Chayanne what in the world are you doing here, I don’t see you till the weekend, what happened,” she asks. “I’m off today and decided to be free like the eagle, I’ve been a pigeon all my life but today I want to be an eagle.” “Oh, that’s great you got the day off good for you.” “No, I decided not to come into work,” Marianna reaches up and grabs my shirt, “What are you crazy, are you nuts, that’s not the way.” “Come on Marianna, I’ve been having dreams for the past week and felt trapped and suffocating in them.” “Okay so that’s a dream so what, Marianna mentions. “Yes, but dreams are your subconscious trying to tell you something, and when I woke up this morning looking at the computer screen, I just couldn’t. I had to leave cause for the past few years I’ve been stuck on the computer typing away my life and doing the same thing everyday” “Chayanne, the daily routine is a bit dull but there’s direction and everything is laid out so you can manage it.” “Manage the plans already laid out by the ESG plan, fuck that how is that living all the choices being made for me, no I don’t want to do this job anymore, it’s boring as I my brain withers away doing something I don’t love.” “Chayanne what are you saying? You hear yourself.” I look into Marianna’s eyes as I hold her hands, “Have you ever wondered what your life would be if you get to choose what you want to do and the freedom of not knowing how that would go but it’s your choice, your will.” Marianna’s eyes glisten as she pulls her hand away. “Yes, goddammit I have but I don’t know.” “The ESG wants to control everyone’s life after the fall and have gone off the rails, yes we aren’t perfect and have flaws but to control every aspect of our lives is just wrong.” Marianna’s manager comes over and his look says it all. “What are you doing here Chayanne, you need to leave, Marianna needs to work, and you need to leave now” “Come on Mike there isn’t anybody here yet just me.” “The lunch crowd will be coming in and I’m telling you leave; I’m giving you a head start.” “Marianna, I love you, and want you to come with me.” What the hell did I just blurt that out w? “What are you doing Chayanne she can’t be with you it’s not in the plans, Mike yells as he holds Marianna’s hands. Marianna looks stunned and tries to break free. “Ouch you’re hurting me,” I jump over the bar and tackle Mike to the ground. “What are you doing giving me a head start for what and you’re hurting Marianna’s hand asshole.” Mike tries to break free, but I’ve got him in a chokehold. Mike gasps for air, “I, I, called ESG telling them about you disobeying the plans decided for your life. I’ve been a whistleblower for a few detractors and with my cooperation gave me a bonus of changing my bride to be with Marianna who I had my eye on, she’s so beautiful and such a sweet girl.” Marianna’s eyes widen and look away in disgust. “And what happens to these detractors huh, huh “I ask. “Oh, oh, remember Planet of the Apes well you’ll be getting one of those as he laughs still trying to gasp for air. I gently cut off his circulation as he passes out and let go. “Mariann- “as Marianna comes in and kisses me. Marianna looks into my eyes as her right-hand glides over my lips. “I’ve always had feelings for you Chayanne and just didn’t know what to do we always had a connection” I look at Marianna’s brown eyes, “I know I’ve always looked forwards to seeing you on Saturday and Sunday for those savory oysters and the drinks you serve, you’re one hell of a mixologist” I grab Marianna’s hand, “We need to leave now Marianna.” “I do realize that, and I don’t want to be Mike’s bride, wow didn’t realize he was a whistleblower., I should have realized something was off always wanting me to close up shop and even being in charge a few times.” Marianna takes a hold of me as we run on the other side of the boat, come on let’s go. The sounds and lights of the ESG police come blaring down, as Marianna and I jump over the boat.

It takes few seconds to get my bearings after hitting the water, “Come on let’s go,” Marianna says. “What when did you start having jet skis standing by the boat,” I ask. Marianna laughs, “Funny, it was left yesterday by Mike telling me he was going to leave them there till he was able to take them back to his house on Sunday.” “I guess it was a thank you present from the ESG for catching more detractors,” wow to think you know a guy” I question. Marianna and I grab our jet skis and leave as one of the ESG police tries to jump but gets shot with a flare gun. “Marianna and I look from where the flare gun was shot from a boat a few yards away from us. “No worries, not all of us are pigeons time for the eagles to fly and rule.,” shouts the older man as he waves his fists in the air. Marianna and I pump our right fists in the air as we ride our jet skis downtown going past Lady Liberty.

May 13, 2023 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.