0 comments

Drama Romance Thriller

I admit, moving to Utah was the best thing that could have happened. I mean if it were not for the manipulative liar named Isla, I could have stayed back in Florida but all the trouble she brought me became worth it the second I met Dani. She made Utah home, and now we have been together for almost 6 months, and tomorrow on our anniversary I am going to surprise her by asking her to move in with me.

           Since leaving her home, she went to college, graduated, and then just 2 months before meeting me she got a job here and moved into a tiny studio apartment. I know she hates living alone, so it is time, I mean after all I am all she has here. Her family is back in New Jersey and all her friends are in New York. I love Dani, and I want to take care of her.

           As I walk along the streets, I realize maybe that is where I went wrong with Isla; she didn’t really need me, she lead me to believe that she did but when it came down to it all she was is a liar who used me and then ghosted me. I know that Dani, would never do that to me, there is a future for us.

“Are you excited?” Dani pulls me from my thoughts.

“What?” Oh no, she noticed that I wasn’t paying attention.

“What were you thinking so deeply about?”

“Just how lucky I am to be with you. Yes, I am excited to meet one of your college friends.”

“It’s crazy that she is here, I mean I haven’t heard from her in 2 years! I am so glad to finally catch up with Isla-anna, I mean anna. She stopped going by her first name, she said that she needed a change.”

*FLASHBACK*

           There she is just lounging by the pool, the most beautiful girl ever, her golden-brown hair, her tan skin sparkling, her almost golden eyes set upon me. This could be my chance, I walk over to her knowing that I will make her mine one day.

“Have we met before?” I ask.

“I doubt that, I just moved here. My name is…. Isla.”

“You sure about that?” I ask.

“Well, that’s what it is now. I needed a change from who I use to be and this is a new me going with a new name.

“Nice to meet you… Isla.”

*END FLASHBACK*

*ISLA-ANNA’S POV*

           ‘Don’t worry Anna, you are just here for 2 months on business. You will be fine’ I tell myself even though I don’t believe it. After I graduated 2 years ago, I started traveling for work, staying in different places for months at a time. Last year, I got a job in Florida and I was scheduled to be there 7, and it was a traumatic experience for me.

           At least in Utah, I get to see Dani who was my college roommate my senior year. I was so glad to here that she was doing well, and I am excited to see her and meet her new boyfriend. After my last relationship ended 7 months ago, the same amount of time that I was with him and the time that I was in Florida.

           I start to approach the small outside café that I am meeting them in, I see Dani and head over. I take a seat, smile and we start to chat.

“So, where is this new guy of yours?” I ask. I love hearing beautiful romance stories, they almost give me hope that one day I will be able to date again.

“Oh, he went inside to use the restroom. I cannot wait for you to meet him; from the moment I saw him I could tell how special he was. I just had this feeling that being with him would change my life; I mean it has only been 6 months, but this could be it.” Dani tells me.

“I just want you to be careful, the last guy I dated was not who I thought he was.

*ORIGINAL POV*

           I head back to the table and I see Dani smile, laughing and I am just obsessed with her smile. I see the back on her friend Anna, she has golden- brown hair that reminds me just like Isla. Oh no, I was hoping it was just coincidence that they had the same name. This is a disaster, what if Isla tell Dani all these lies about me and turns her against me. I finally found love after her and I will not let her destroy it, especially right before our big day tomorrow. I can not let them alone together. I walk around the table kissing my lady on the cheek before I sit down and look right into Isla’s eyes.

“Hello, ISLA- Anna. Nice to meet you.” I stare at her.

“Babe, I told you she just goes by Anna.”

“You are right, my apologies Anna.” I say to her.

“Are you alright Anna, you look pale?”

“Here a few dollars, maybe if you would go get out drinks then Anna could get some hydration in her. This way I have a couple minutes to get to know Anna.”

“Please, what do you want?” She asks. I grab her hand as her eyes dart around her.

“Try not to mess this up for me. I do not want your lies getting into her head. We have never met before, understand… Isla? I mean after all you are the one who used me to get what you want and then you just ghosted me.” She pulls her hand back and nods.

*ISLA-ANNA’S POV*

           I sit in my new room with unpacked boxes fiddling with my phone debating what I should do. I mean, I have to tell her, warn her about being with him. She needs to know about our history, I just don’t want her to think I am lying.

HEY, IT WAS GOOD SEEING YOU TODAY. SORRY IF I SEEMED A BIT OFF, I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU WANTED TO COME OVER HERE TOMORROW AND HANG OUT? JUST THE TWO OF US LIKE IT WAS BACK IN COLLEGE.

            When she finally texted back my heart was literally aching. I need to talk to her alone and I hope that she agrees.

WELL, TOMORROW I AM SPENDING THE DAY WITH MY BOYFRIEND FOR MY 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY BUT I CAN HANG OUT L ATER THAT EVENING.

           I have to stop him now! I knew they were almost together 6 months, but I didn’t know it was as of tomorrow!! I have to do something before she gets herself into trouble. After all, it was my 6 month anniversary with him that everything went wrong.

*ORIGINAL POV*

‘This is it! The first day of the rest of my life with Dani!’ I tell myself. I can’t wait for her to move in today. I know she will be so surprised and happy when I ask her. I have been getting everything ready for her arrival.

           The only thing left to take care of is Isla. The screen recording software I have on Dani’s phone tells me that Isla wants to meet her without me, no doubt trying to tarnish my relationship with Dani. However, I will not let her tell any more lies.

*TWO HOURS LATER*

“Please just don’t hurt me!! I am begging you. Please put down the knife.” She cries.

“No, this if my protection from you! You are a dangerous person who could ruin my life Isla. I mean even your identify is a lie Isla, Anna, Isla-Anna; who even knows. I am tired of you trying to ruin everything good in my life.”

“Are you kidding me! You kidnapped me because I wouldn’t move in with you! I don’t want Dani to get hurt!”

“There you go with your lies!!! I would never hurt Dani, she is the love of my life! Kidnapping, seriously? What I did was hardly kidnapping. You just needed time to realize that you wanted to live with me. It was my fault for buying into your LIES! You told me that you loved me and I believed you! You said that you did want to live with me and then you disappeared without a trace.”

“I thought that I did love you at first, but then you held me hostage in your basement! Please just let me go and you will never see me again.” She is lying, I know she is.

“Listen, we are out here in the woods and there is no where to go. I tried everything and I know you will just run to Dani. Here is how this is going down, after I text Dani, you go off the cliff and die quick. This way they will find your body and think it was an accident. Now don’t even think of trying to run while I text her.

HEY, NEVERMIND ABOUT MEETING TONIGHT. I DECIDED TO GO ON A HIKE. I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DATE. HE SEEMS LIKE A GREAT GUY. YOU BETTER SEND ME AN INVITE TO YOUR WEDDING ONE DAY. I MEAN SERIOUSLY, DON’T LET THIS GUY GO.

*HOURS LATER*

“Listen Dani, I love you so much. I can see us being together for a really long time. I would be honored if you would move in with me. I mean, that studio apartment is so small, and you are hardly ever there. So, what do you say, Dani?

*PHONE RINGS*

“It is the number for the local police.”

Oh no, this is not good. Why are they calling Dani? Should I run? No that would make me look suspicious and I didn’t do anything wrong. She doesn’t stay on the phone long.

“There has been an accident. My friend Anna fell off a cliff hiking, she is in critical condition at the hospital. I have to go.”

“She’s alive!”

“Yes, but she is unconscious, and the doctors say that she will most likely be paralyzed. She broke most of her bones, and her brain has severe damage. We don’t know if she will ever be able to talk again, or even remember who she is. Would you be able to drive me, I don’t know if I can right now.”

“Yes, I will take you.” STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

“I feel so terrible, all her family is in New York and I am the only person here that she knows. I just don’t know what to do.”

“Look she is starting to wake up, Dani why don’t you go get her doctor?”

“Hi Anna! I am going to get your doctor. Will you keep her calm?” I nod.

She looks at me with a glare and makes some sort of noise.

“Listen here Isla, you are at the hospital somehow you survived your awful fall. Now the doctors say that you have extensive damage to your vocal cords so they don’t believe you will ever talk again, and they also say that you are going to be paralyzed from your neck down. Even if you are able to communicate any lies about me, you have extensive brain damage and they will never ever believe you.”

“The doctors will be here any minute Anna.”

“Oh, Anna, here is something that might make you happy. I asked Dani to move in with me; I am just waiting on her answer. Wouldn’t that be great.”

“Well, the last thing you texted me Anna, was to never let him go. Yes, I will move in with you.” Dani says.

“No Anna, I know you are happy for us buy you have to be calm and try not to move or talk. It could be very detrimental to your health.” I tell her.

“Thank you, for your encouragement of my relationship with Dani. I promise that we are going to be very happy together and we have you to thank for that. I have a loving girlfriend with mutual trust, and I am just absolutely obsessed with her.”

August 29, 2020 01:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.