20 comments

Fantasy Fiction

The firmament’s secret circulatory system was suddenly illuminated by a shriek of ionized air. A vascular blast of light tore from the infinite down to the canopy of a waiting tree. The atmosphere roared in shock as the tree’s leaves rang with blitz-glitter and the branches kindled new light in the dark night. The heat-cracked trunk spat sparks onto the tinder-dry savannah and the world blazed.

Homo Erectus cowered in the scrub, spellbound by the sight of the writhing tree birthing tongues of dawn where there should have been none. The report of the crash of sky and earth colliding rang in Homo Erectus’ ears and she howled in painful harmony as tears of wonderful confusion streaked her cheeks. The rapidly gathering heat of the tree-sun soon became too much, and Homo Erectus fled into the cool darkness of the familiar, unspoiled night. 

Prometheus strained against the thick chains that bound him to the mountain as the Aetos Kaukasios planted its talons in his abdomen and made its first hunger-driven incision. The practiced hunter gouged away elastic skin to find a path under ribs and into the viscera. It butted its clawed face into the home of Prometheus’ soul and set about evicting him.

Prometheus stared, pain-stunned, into the grey clouds of the Caucasian sky where tomorrow’s carrion queued, gliding on rising thermals of air laced with the steam of his exposed liver. The eagle’s internal burrowing punched the air from his lungs. The grating rust of the chains and cold stone of the mountain were gone, displaced by pain that transcended the body that bore it. Memory was the only place he could continue to exist.

He had run from Olympia, momentarily out of the grasp of Zeus, but never far or fast enough that capture was not an inevitability, a future spun for him by the Fates. He had just long enough to hurl the stolen lightning bolt across space to ignite the world of his clay creations. The javelin of impossible energy had no sooner left his grasp than the Aetos had taken him, plucked him like a spring flower from the foothills of Olympus and swept him up into the stars, only to slam him down on to the cold stone of the Caucasus mountains. Bound and gagged by chains forged by Hephaestus, as unbreakable as the sinuous embrace of Zeus himself, Prometheus remembered his day of creation as he waited for the day of his destruction.

His thumbs, slick with watery slip, had gouged out sockets in a skull that could host a mind which would one day conceive of the moment of its own creation. The body that he fashioned after his own would hold a liver that could home a soul. He had found the potential in the crude lump of clay and released it to play in a world away from the slopes of Olympus. But it needed more. Without a catalyst it would never realise the path he had envisioned. It would need time to grow into enlightenment, but the process would not start without a spark.      

A hunter raised his spear and stalked bravely towards the roaring serpent that shook the tree, devouring its limbs and spitting the spoiled parts to the floor. Clutching his antelope cloak against the heat of the beast, he took aim at the danger.  As he loosed the throw that would save his tribe the fire serpent chewed off a great bough which had burned above him. The bough landed in an explosion of light and sound and the hunter was gone.

Over time Prometheus’ body accommodated his chains as the roots and bark of mountain trees can learn to flow and mold themselves around the hard rocks on which they grow. He stopped his fruitless struggle with Hephaestus’ links and thought of his creations and the future that the Fates would have no choice but to spin them. The feeling that would have been joy calmed his soul as the eagle returned day after countless day to open him anew and beak deep into his mercilessly regenerating liver.  

A child had watched the vein of light pour power from the sky into the tree and seed the fire. She now stood in the thrashing light, edging towards the seductive heat as others fled, wild with fear, into the scrub. What was this power that could cause the whole tribe to run, light the night, strike down the mightiest hunter and create heat greater than the sun’s rays or any beating heart? The child saw the fire gorge itself on the tree and begin to starve as its meal blackened and shrank. The hunter’s spear lay on the ground, the sharpened end was ablaze, but a good length of the hard wood was unburned. The child stooped under the still fierce heat and carefully picked up the spear and the fire that was feeding on it. She held it high above her head and swung it slowly through the air watching the light follow the path she commanded it to take, carving the night into shapes of her choosing. She moved around with the spear, carrying heat and light to different places until the flames died and their grey ghosts escaped the spear that had held them. The few adults still close enough to have witnessed the child’s fire dance stared in awe as dawn’s light began to break and weaken the tree-sun’s power.

Prometheus endured over time measured by the cyclical arrival of a hungry tormenter and the departure of a fat one. He was now a creature of rust and stone, his wound a stoma that spoke to the world of the folly of stealing from Zeus. The eternal return of his eviscerator became all he knew and all that gave him meaning. He watched the eagle beating its way through the mountain mist towards its predictable meal. Distant thunder rolled and a golden arrow struck the bird from below, piercing its breast and sending it tumbling silently into the clouds that covered the valley below. Afraid at the loss of the cycle that defined him and his return to a fate that might lead into an unknown future, he raised his head from the rock to see Heracles emerging from the mists, bow in hand. His punishment was over.

From the mouth of a mountainside cave under a ceiling of cloud, the Fire Dancer heard the roll of distant thunder and looked out over the valley. Feeling that the fire fall may still be some time away she returned to tending her flickering hearth. Taking up a charred stick she marked her face with its soft dust and turned to the wall of the cave. By the light of her tamed fire, she used the stick to scrape out the image of a tree-sun, jagged under the power of the fire fall, the vein of light rendered as a line rising high up the cave wall. The Fire Dancer hesitated at the top of the line, and then slowly began to scrape out the image of the sender of the fire.   

May 12, 2023 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Mary Bendickson
19:29 May 13, 2023

Afraid I would have to know more about the gods to understand this fine imagery. I don't so I won't.

Reply

Chris Miller
21:56 May 13, 2023

Hi Mary. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
21:59 May 19, 2023

Chris, Your beautifully written story reads like a translation from an original language. It was a bit abstract and unemotional for my tastes. But that says as much about me as your story. It's as good a rendition of the myth as I've ever read. You are obviously a student of the genre. If you haven't read him, Rene Girard discusses how scapegoating (killing a single innocent victim to pay for the crimes of the many), is embedded within many myths. Your version would be a perfect example.

Reply

Chris Miller
22:23 May 19, 2023

Hello John, Thank you for reading and for taking the time to leave your kind comments. I'll take abstract and unemotional as compliments! I'm pleased you found some beauty in it. Thank you for the recommendation. I will check him out. Good luck with your next story. Chris

Reply

John K Adams
22:51 May 19, 2023

Back atcha, Chris. You have talent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
21:59 May 19, 2023

Chris, Your beautifully written story reads like a translation from an original language. It was a bit abstract and unemotional for my tastes. But that says as much about me as your story. It's as good a rendition of the myth as I've ever read. You are obviously a student of the genre. If you haven't read him, Rene Girard discusses how scapegoating (killing a single innocent victim to pay for the crimes of the many), is embedded within many myths. Your version would be a perfect example.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:34 May 17, 2023

Chris, this was BEAUTIFULLY written! I love, immediately, the way you described the lightning striking the tree. The language was poetic, and reminded me of reading The Odyssey. Your description of Prometheus being ravaged by the eagles was, how shall I say this? It was fascinating. You evoked a strong sense of repulse, but I just couldn't stop reading. But I love how you gave Prometheus a sense of contentment. Yes, he knows he cannot escape his fate, but he has also accomplished a goal that will set him apart and change the course of th...

Reply

Chris Miller
15:30 May 17, 2023

Hello Hannah, Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave such kind comments. I'm pleased you picked out his odd response to the torture. I supposed the value of his achievement and the evolving acceptance and use of fire would give him a sort of stoicism/peace of mind. I enjoyed writing it and I am very pleased that you enjoyed reading it. Chris Good luck with whatever you are working on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:36 May 15, 2023

Your prose here is crafted with such vivid imagery. The savage tearing into Prometheus by the eagle is so awful in its description and the detached almost surgical way you have told it. Here is no human scream of pain, just a very clinical description of what was occurring. I think that made it all the more horrifying. The way you showed how humans gradually accepted the fire, how it was the young child who saw the potential in the flame, where the oldest and bravest among them saw fear and threat. It’s quite a universal theme, the young are...

Reply

Chris Miller
05:49 May 16, 2023

Thanks, Michelle. I did enjoy writing the eagle's parts. It was also interesting to try and combine the idea that humans were gifted fire by a mythical being with some kind of relatively plausible idea of what that might look like. It made me think about how crazy the true story of the adoption of fire must have been! Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:56 May 15, 2023

That's a good take on the prompt, and the descriptions of Prometheus' torment are brutal - which is perhaps fitting for slighting a god. I like the gradual approach the humans take to the fire as well - gradual, and not without injury. It does make me wonder what it would have been like, when fire was first reliably tamed. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Chris Miller
05:40 May 16, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting, Michal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
19:00 May 15, 2023

If I’m right, the path Zeus was trying to get Prometheus to follow was NOT giving fire to man? Anyway, great stream of consciousness prose Chris! Prometheus is best known for defying the Olympian gods by stealing fire from them and giving it to humanity in the form of technology, knowledge, and more generally, civilization.

Reply

Chris Miller
19:39 May 15, 2023

Hi Jack. You are right, but Prometheus was a Titan, not one of Zeus's creations. The god/creation relationship is between Prometheus and mankind, who he sculpted from clay ... Allegedly....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:06 May 15, 2023

Well, now that I’ve read it here, I see this was the obvious take on the prompt. Sparkling prose as usual, too.

Reply

Chris Miller
06:45 May 15, 2023

Thanks, Anne. You are too kind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
02:24 May 15, 2023

This was very good. I need a better understanding of Greek mythology to appreciate it to its fullest, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Reply

Chris Miller
06:43 May 15, 2023

Thanks, J.D. really glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
14:34 May 14, 2023

Chris, this is a masterful rendering of Prometheus. Hans Blumenberg argues that myth survives because it succeeds where science fails. While science satiates the appetite for reason, myths appeal to the demands of the unconscious, the desire to have phenomena explained in ways that are ambiguous and open to interpretation. We've yet to see if AI, a gift of fire if there ever was one, will be able to yield stories that have the emotional and cognitive resonance of narratives such as the one you've written here. My bets are against it, but...

Reply

Chris Miller
16:26 May 14, 2023

Thank you, Mike. Your comments are as well crafted as your stories. AI as a gift of fire is a beautiful/terrifying idea that I have heard put about. I used to be firmly in the new atheist camp on science and empiricism's superiority to myth and religion, but I find that harder and and harder to maintain. I hope that we always need more. I will have to check out Blumenberg. Thanks for taking the time to post your comment. I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.