39 comments

Transgender Fiction Contemporary

She's different today, my human. She shed her fur. Yesterday it was blonde and it flowed down her back like water from a fire hydrant and it smelled like strawberries when I nuzzled it. Today it's gone. I shed mine too sometimes, like when the weather gets too hot outside, or when I've gone too many days without being walked. Sometimes it just happens on its own. Maybe that's true for her too, my human. Maybe she woke up today and her fur spilled out over her pillow and left her with the too-short table scraps she has now. Maybe it just happened.


She's different today, my human. She's wearing new clothes. They don't quite fit, and I can't see any of her legs anymore—not the ones she stands on and not the ones she uses to carry things. Her head-fur is covered and her legs are covered and her body's covered, like what's hidden beneath all those layers of clothes is some kind of secret. She looks like a piece of steak, a thin, white bone nestled in a heap of wrinkly brown. "What do you think, Buster?" she asks, spinning around and around in the bathroom mirror until I get dizzy. She smiles when I thump my tail in response—I've never been smart, but I can always get her to smile like that. "You can get some good deals, if you go to the right thrift store," she says. "And you know what the best part is? There aren't as many people in there watching you the whole time."


She's different today, my human. Her voice is deeper. It used to sound like the chew toy she bought me last year: high-pitched and squeaky, capable of busting if you bit into it too hard. A voice like trying to walk on your hind legs. Now it sounds angry, the kind of voice you'd expect a rolled-up newspaper to have. It shakes me worse than thunder and lightning sometimes. Worse than fireworks popping outside the window. Even worse than the suck of the vacuum. It's the kind of voice that makes "Dinner time!" sound like a command instead of an invitation, and "Who's a good boy?" sound like a question where there's more than one right answer.


She's different today, my human. She's got these big bumps on her face. One between her eyes. Three on her forehead that look like a bird's wing. I could lick her cheek and probably hit five more of them. Her skin is shiny and slick as a raw bone. She calls it oil. I have to blink a few times just to keep looking at her. "Don't worry, Buster," she says. "It's just acne. It'll go away eventually. Tomorrow is a new day." But that doesn't stop her from spending another night in front of the bathroom mirror, rubbing her face with slobbery liquids and creams, trying to make her problems vanish right now. It doesn't stop her from trying to turn "eventually" into "tomorrow."


She's different today, my human. She doesn't smell like fruit and flowers. Today she smells like sweat. The kind of sweat you get after chasing a ball twenty times on a hot summer's day. Or when your human tells you you're going for a car ride to the park but then you're sitting in that room again and there's that lady again in her white coat holding that cold silver disc against your chest. The aroma of sweat doggy-paddles through the house, pawing at the carpet and the walls and the windows. She doesn't mind the scent, so I don't mind either. But I wonder where that other smell went.


She's different today, my human. She changed her name. It used to be Tina. I know she changed it because I was asleep on the floor when she came home, and right when she walked through the door, her phone woke me up. It sounded like a squirrel, like something annoying you just want to chase until it goes away. She looked at the phone for a long time, my human. Then she cleared her throat, pressed a button, and said, "This is Samuel." Only she said it like she wasn't sure, like she was trying to figure out whether the whole thing was actually true or whether she was about to take a trip to the white coat lady's office instead.


She's different today, my human. Her fur is back, but this time it's on her face. A bunch of it, brown and bushy. It's going past her lip and down both sides of her mouth like it's trying to chase its own tail. I don't understand it. And the first problem here is: I've never been smart. The other problem is: I didn't recognize her just now when I heard the noises coming from the bathroom, not with all that fur suddenly unshed but put back in the wrong places, and not with her four equally furry limbs on display for the first time in months. I didn't recognize her, my own human, so I couldn't stop myself. Not from growling at the intruder, and not from barking, and not even from lunging forward and catching her pants leg between my teeth. Not until that newspaper-deep voice broke through the silence as she cried, "Buster, stop it! Buster, it's me!" and she grabbed the fur on her face and yanked and tugged until it came loose, and her face was her face again, only with a dark indent in place of the fur. "It's not real. It's just taped on, you dumb dog! I was only trying to see how it looked on me, in case I decided later on," she said, and her words, booming and unfinished in the cramped bathroom, made me whimper and flinch. By the time I released my bite, she was already getting up. And by the time I went to nuzzle the brown face-fur by way of apology, she had already tossed it in the trash can. And by the time I thumped my tail to get her to smile, just once, she was already out the door.


She's different today, my human. I know that much, even if I've never been smart. But maybe tomorrow she won't be different. Maybe then she'll be the same. After all, tomorrow is a new day. She said so herself.

February 25, 2023 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Riel Rosehill
10:53 Feb 25, 2023

I see you abandoned your fragments for this dog story! (Great use of prompt) I thought I was going to cry... Have you seen that video of a collie dog reacting to their owner getting cancer? It starts with something like "my human lost all her fur"and it's absolutely heartbreaking. So I read the first lines and was like... please don't do this to me! I'm glad you didn't. My favourite lines: "It used to sound like the chew toy she bought me last year: high-pitched and squeaky, capable of busting if you bit into it too hard." I'm pretty sure ...

Reply

Zack Powell
20:52 Feb 25, 2023

Shameful confession: I actually finished the fragments story last night, but it was so horrendous and nonsensical that I felt like I would be torturing people by asking them to read it. Hated it with all my heart. Sooooo, this was the fallback plan. ❤️ And double shame on me for not being evil and going the super-heartbreaking route that you were initially expecting. (But hey, there's a cat POV prompt next week, so...👀👀👀) And thankfully I have not seen that collie video, because it would absolutely BREAK me. How much easier would life be i...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
08:47 Feb 26, 2023

Oh no! Well... it was a mad prompt after all! Maybe you can use the idea for another prompt if you go back to it. Now I'm dreading your cat story next week! x"D How about Oreo chapter two..?👀 PS: Thanks, I'll tell Dipsy that! You know he would be named after food if it was for me, but he's a rescue so already had a name - and I googled it: it's the name of the green teletubby, but also a word that seems to have many uses and wildly different definitions online... (See urban dictionary! I wonder what the person naming him was thinking of.)

Reply

Zack Powell
09:23 Feb 26, 2023

I'd be lying if I said I weren't thinking about doing that cat's POV cancer story as a super, ultra, desperate last resort. 👀 Buuuut I'm hopeful it won't come to that. Funny enough, speaking of Oreo, the story that I've got marinating right now for the animal shelter prompt has another talking cat in it, but in a slightly different direction - hooray for magical realism! The current opening line is: "My ex-boyfriend Kane is sandwiched between a British Shorthair and a Scottish Fold, just waiting for someone to adopt him." Now I've just got ...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
09:51 Feb 26, 2023

What pedigree cats you have at that shelter! I'm into that first line & and the cat POV (or witch POV, if the ex-boyfriend was turned into a cat - can't be sure with magical realism!) But either way, now I look forward to reading it! And yeah it's a weird show, don't know why it exists! I only know about the name because someone pointed out they didn't like Dipsy's name because of the teletubby thing (so unfair T_T )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:06 Mar 08, 2023

Hey Zack, This was such a clever take on the prompt! I really loved going on this journey with this individual, and I thought the POV was exceptional. I also really enjoyed the way that this character was able to come from a place of complete non-judgment. I also really enjoyed this character’s attitude on acne! Oh my gosh, I wish I could have that same attitude. I mean, sometimes, when I get a pimple, it feels like the end of the world. But maybe I will work to embody the attitude that you wrote about here-nice work!

Reply

Zack Powell
04:10 Mar 08, 2023

Thank you, Amanda! First time doing an animal's POV, and it's definitely a new (and very different) experience, so I appreciate the kindness. And I definitely relate to the acne thing. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:42 Mar 03, 2023

Dammit Zack! I'll never win a Reedsy competition if you keep on writing transcendent stories like this! LOL Man, what a great story; it had depth and gravitas and poignancy. The canine's POV told me so much about what Tina/Samuel was experiencing and everything about doggy intuition. I feel shattered by what the two-legged and the four-legged creatures are experiencing, but inside the pieces are shards of hope. You gave us that, and it makes all the difference. Nicely done, my friend. Nicely done indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelsey H
07:47 Mar 03, 2023

I have a bit of a soft spot for stories told from an animal pov. I think it reminds me of the books I used to read when I was a kid, and also because I always love the pov of an observer who is slightly outside the action. Also I loved all the doggie comparisons to things like the fire hydrant in the intro, and table-scraps. I feel like even without the mention of the name "Buster" its obvious it's a dog by then. I really liked how you have Buster feeling fearful as he watches the transition and doesn't know what is happening, it seems a ...

Reply

Zack Powell
09:20 Mar 03, 2023

Always glad to see your name pop up on my screen, late or not, Kelsey! It's no surprise to you, I'm sure, but you're one of the people I check my activity feed for each week to see whether or not you slipped in a contest entry. And the observer POV is also a fondness of mine - so interesting watching an event unfold from the outside looking in. The doggie comparisons were the most fun part of writing this - such a different way of doing similes and analogies. And I wish I'd heard about that dog owner consensus before writing this! Might've ...

Reply

Kelsey H
10:15 Mar 03, 2023

I actually did write one for this week, just didn't get it finished in time! Hopefully another fitting prompt will come up for it soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:01 Mar 02, 2023

This was great. Such an immersive animal pov/voice that pulled me into the story. As I thought I was reading a story for next week's cat prompt, I didn't even notice the repeating opening sentence as it meshed with the story so well. By the end, I can see a dog pov becoming a very clever way to make a story of transitioning more human.

Reply

04:31 Mar 02, 2023

After your string of brilliant animal stories, when I saw this competition today I thought it might be up your alley.. https://vocal.media/challenges/tall-tail

Reply

Zack Powell
11:06 Mar 03, 2023

Double thanks, Scott, for the comment and for the link! Always on the lookout for writing contests, and this one seems to be right up my alley. Forever grateful. Glad the repeated line meshed well with the story too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:42 Mar 01, 2023

A pet's perspective on this major life change is an interesting one, and not something I've seen before. "Now it sounds angry, the kind of voice you'd expect a rolled-up newspaper to have." Great! The dog's voice is good. Naturally, human behaviour would be mystifying, and a change like this - well, even the human is uncertain, treading new ground. For a dog, it could be doubly so. We get a lot of good dog's eye descriptions here. Considering it *is* a dog, I wonder if we could double down on the dog's nose. We get some descriptions of...

Reply

Zack Powell
03:23 Mar 05, 2023

A belated thank you for this excellent comment, Michał! I wish I'd read your dog POV story before writing this, because I would've definitely heightened the sense of smell aspect here. Great idea for the second draft, if nothing else. And the a) vs. b) thing is a great takeaway. I had a particular one of those in mind while writing this, but that's the beauty: it is what you make of it. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
19:41 Mar 01, 2023

Zach, the simplicity and innocence with which the dog recognizes the changes but doesn't get what they mean is heartwrenching. Smell, sensitivities to hearing and seeing all deluge poor Buster, so he doesn't know what to think. He seriously just wants what he had before the transition of his owner. Nice to see how different perspectives about the same topic affect two POVs in the same household. Samuel hesitates on the phone; Buster bites at the pant leg of Samuel, not recognizing his owner. Sad! LF6.

Reply

Zack Powell
09:49 Mar 03, 2023

Thanks, Lily. This was an experimental one, but you hit on what I was going for with this comment. Nailed it completely. Appreciate the thoughtfulness!

Reply

Lily Finch
17:30 Mar 03, 2023

NP! I experimented with a new cat story. If you have time, I'd like your feedback please. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Andrew Fruchtman
17:34 Mar 01, 2023

Love this. The descriptions from Busters POV where great, all related to his things he knew. Great job and fun to read.

Reply

Zack Powell
09:32 Mar 03, 2023

A belated thank you to you, Andrew! Animal POVs are new to me, so I'm glad the descriptions came through. Appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:13 Feb 28, 2023

Wowzers, great story! Glad to see you writing consistently again, Zack. :)

Reply

Zack Powell
09:12 Mar 03, 2023

A late thank you, Ms. Wafflez! Always so kind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jacky Burke
22:00 Feb 27, 2023

Loved this -- At first this was my favorite line " I can't see any of her legs anymore—not the ones she stands on and not the ones she uses to carry things." But then there was this line: "Now it sounds angry, the kind of voice you'd expect a rolled-up newspaper to have. " Great premise, well written!

Reply

Zack Powell
10:11 Mar 03, 2023

A late thank you, Jacky! Coming from you, this is a huge compliment. Many thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:53 Feb 27, 2023

This story was so interesting in that you chose to tell it from the dog's POV. It was compelling because of its subject matter and nearly had me choked up by the end when the dog didn't recognize its owner. Traumic for both of them. Amazing job with this prompt.

Reply

Zack Powell
09:11 Mar 03, 2023

A belated thank you, Kt. Read an article on this once, about a pet's reaction to their owner's transition, and I thought it'd be an interesting POV to explore in a story. Makes you wonder how much a dog would be able to put two-and-two together. Thanks for the kindness!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
00:49 Feb 27, 2023

Wow. Once again, I’m in awe. Really fascinating what you’ve done here, really interesting perspective. Thought-provoking, too. Hadn’t ever thought about transitioning from a non-human perspective, and you wrote it to be so believable. I generally don’t like pieces that are written from the perspectives of animals because they turn out so… cliche. Yours isn’t, though—I found myself genuinely enjoying it. Entranced. Really profound work, and very very nicely done.

Reply

Zack Powell
10:43 Mar 03, 2023

A belated thank you for your kindness, Nathaniel! This perspective is something I've been wanting to write for a while now, so I'm glad to know it kept your attention. (And I'm with you on the non-human perspective thing - very hit-and-miss, I think.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naomi Onyeanakwe
17:32 Feb 25, 2023

Hi Zack. It's always fun getting two stories from you. I love the idea behind this: the POV of a pet experiencing its human transition. Brilliant. And the story was very well told too. My favourite line was, "It's the kind of voice that makes "Dinner time!" sound like a command instead of an invitation, and "Who's a good boy?" sound like a question where there's more than one right answer." Well done and good luck with the contest!

Reply

Zack Powell
20:54 Feb 25, 2023

Thank you, Naomi! These prompts were a lot of fun to brainstorm, so I'm just happy something productive came out of them. And this concept is something I've been wanting to write for a while now. Glad it resonated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naomi Onyeanakwe
17:32 Feb 25, 2023

Hi Zack. It's always fun getting two stories from you. I love the idea behind this: the POV of a pet experiencing its human transition. Brilliant. And the story was very well told too. My favourite line was, "It's the kind of voice that makes "Dinner time!" sound like a command instead of an invitation, and "Who's a good boy?" sound like a question where there's more than one right answer." Well done and good luck with the contest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naomi Onyeanakwe
17:32 Feb 25, 2023

Hi Zack. It's always fun getting two stories from you. I love the idea behind this: the POV of a pet experiencing its human transition. Brilliant. And the story was very well told too. My favourite line was, "It's the kind of voice that makes "Dinner time!" sound like a command instead of an invitation, and "Who's a good boy?" sound like a question where there's more than one right answer." Well done and good luck with the contest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naomi Onyeanakwe
17:32 Feb 25, 2023

Hi Zack. It's always fun getting two stories from you. I love the idea behind this: the POV of a pet experiencing its human transition. Brilliant. And the story was very well told too. My favourite line was, "It's the kind of voice that makes "Dinner time!" sound like a command instead of an invitation, and "Who's a good boy?" sound like a question where there's more than one right answer." Well done and good luck with the contest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
15:19 Feb 25, 2023

This was so touching, Zack. Really brought home the realities of changes and what someone must go through, to make them - including alienation of those closest to them, sometimes. God bless dogs, though, at least his heart is pure. Beautiful!

Reply

Zack Powell
21:33 Feb 25, 2023

Thank you, Wendy! It's an interesting thing to think about, I think, how a pet might react to a big change in their owner's life. Dogs are so understanding though, thank God.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
12:40 Feb 25, 2023

Look at you go with two entries this week. Kudos! I like how you framed this story from the dog's POV. There's an innocence there, almost child-like and curious, that permeates as we read through the story. I liked how you incorporated the sense of smell since that's important for dogs. How it changed from fruit to sweat. I thought the paragraph about her voice changing was particularly striking. My heart broke a little bit when he said it makes him shake worse than lightning or thunder. At its core, this is a story about change. Not only...

Reply

Zack Powell
21:02 Feb 25, 2023

Confession: I did two entries because I wanted to give myself two chances after reading your story. If I get benched, I'm going to be living vicariously through you this week. 🤣 #sorrynotsorry Very glad to know the innocent and childlike tone came through. I bet dogs would be totally and completely on board with their owners transitioning, so as long as they got fed and walked - just a little curious in the beginning. Side note: The voice changing paragraph was my favorite, so 10 points to Ravenclaw for the shoutout there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:50 Feb 25, 2023

Oh… oh… Zach this is so… real. I like the way you told this from an animal’s point of view. No judgement just observation. Transgender is such a harsh path to walk and for those who have to understand it we sometimes get it wrong, like the dog does. I love the way the dog perceives the sound of the voices as actions and feelings. “A voice like trying to walk on your hind legs. Now it sounds angry, the kind of voice you'd expect a rolled-up newspaper to have” Great use of the prompt. You said you had started this prompt and given up. I’m gl...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.