0 comments

General

Day 1, June 3, 2023

 Well, today I have decided to take up journaling. I am not sure why I decided to take on such a thing as it escapes me how these people can write about absolutely nothing and make it sound like it is everything. It is day one and I am so totally lost. I don't even know where to begin…

Day 2, June 4, 2023

 Day two has arrived and I am still as lost as I was yesterday. I thought all day and half my sleepless night about what I wanted to put in my journal. No ideas presented themselves so maybe today will be better.

 Still trying to think about what could be exciting for me to journal about. I have reviewed a few journals of others, but even those don’t give me any solid ideas or beginnings. Maybe I made a mistake thinking I could simply take up this journaling thing and run with it. It seems it is far harder than I anticipated.

Day 5, June 7, 2023

 Oh my god, I nearly got run over by a bicyclist that was driving on the sidewalk! It seemed like he swerved to hit me coming so close I could feel the breeze as he rapidly rode by me. How careless can people be to not pay attention to pedestrians that are on the sidewalk where they belong? The gall of that person to think they could simply brush by me without me reacting or caring what they were doing. I am so irritated and upset I want to find that person and tell them what I think of them if not drive my doubled-up fist into their face.

And to think I belong to this 'race' of people that have no care for others. What am I thinking? Maybe I will take a plane trip to a place far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. A nice quiet island without a care in the world and no people around, make my own little hut and learn to survive on my own without all the hassle of rude obnoxious people.

Day 11, June 13, 2023

 It took a while, but I found someone to take me to that remote island. Ah, I feel so free, I took off all my clothes when I was positive the plane was far away and ran along the sandy beach through the tide as it swelled toward the shore. It felt so good to let go of all the inhibitions of living in the city and let go. The sand between my toes, the warm water ebbing onto the shore over my feet, and the sun across my shoulders, who could ask for anything else?

 I sit in the sun watching as the waves roll across the water surging onto the sand as the sun rises higher in the sky. The peaceful waters glisten under the late morning sun making it shimmer as if it were covered with millions of diamonds. Shifting and changing, the colors all merge the fluffy white clouds drifting overhead casting their reflection on the smooth areas of the water. Much later I decided I should move to begin gathering some sticks and twigs for a shelter. Day one of the rest of my life has begun.

Day 12, June 14, 2023

 I stretch and yawn as the sun greets me through the openings of the roof over my head. The trees offered large wide leaves that made a wonderful covering for the tiny lean two I had made the night before. I had cheated, bringing tools to help me build things faster knowing time was limited before bad weather may hit. My main goal was to escape the rude people not necessarily to leave the comforts of the life I was leading. I intended on making my own living space and learning to survive without all the comforts. This, of course, meant learning a whole new set of skills or maybe even learning several.

 I had gathered enough wood the night before allowing me to start a fire. An old fashioned percolator coffee pot one would take camping, some coffee grounds and a bit of freshwater that I stashed in my backpack and I have a pot of morning coffee. Yep, this was the life, all the comforts of home without the annoying idiots that liked stomping on your toes and insulting you.

 As the coffee perked I moved inland a bit further to gather some more sticks for the fire. I noticed as I walked across the sandy beach to the green grass that skirted it there were some strange footprints in the sand. I knelt to examine them touching one gently with my fingers. It disintegrated as the loose sand shifted to wash the print away. Curious, I started following the tracks wondering what had made them and why I hadn't heard the creature moving across the sand. I soon found myself in the mossy loom of the lush grass that ran along a forest floor. I stopped to look around noticing I had long since left the sand-covered beach where my coffee was brewing. I decided to turn around before I got too far away from where I had started marking the spot with a pile of sticks and rocks. I took a larger stick and drug it behind me as I returned to my camp vowing I would explore further once I got something to eat.

 I left my encampment to follow the trail I had left not even thinking about the fact I may be running into something much larger and meaner than I was. I hadn't brought any weapons with me, simple living utensils is all I had so if I were to encounter a hostile creature I would have to run for my life and hope I found a safe-haven or most likely be eaten. None-the-less I didn't let this detour me as I trekked toward the spot I had left the rocks and twigs. I began to realize the sandy beach turned into a forest that stretched for miles. The path I was following was one of the dozens that wove their way through the forest going every which way.

 Mid-day I took a break to get something to eat. I had wandered deeper into the mossy forest weaving my way around fallen trees and stands of stones that looked similar to statues. Long vines hung from the trees covered with green moss making them appear wet and slippery. Venturing even further into the forest I came to a meadow with what looked to be a mound that would serve perfectly for a small hut.

 As the sun was setting I made my way toward the mound to see if it held what I desired for living purposes. I walked slowly around it looking for an entrance. As I came around the back of it there was a hole which seemed to offer an entrance. Cautiously I approached holding my lantern slightly in front of me to illuminate the entrance and part of the inside if there were one. As luck would have it the mound was hollow within making it perfect for a cozy hovel that would protect me from all manner of weather and vermin.

 I made myself a small fire close to the entrance hoping to keep any creatures away then cleared a spot to lay out my sleeping bag. It was quite apparent nothing had been in this nature made adobe for quite some time. Moss covered the floor, walls, and ceiling with sticks and stones strewn across the floor chaotically. Maybe remainders of whomever or whatever may have been here before me, but now they were dry and brittle making good fire starter. I fall asleep to the crackling of the fire thinking about what tomorrow may bring.

 

 

Day 13, June 15, 2023

 Upon waking I realized I was a considerable distance from the beach I had started on. This was not necessarily a problem although it did offer water to make things and to wash with. I made my coffee, got dressed, then cleaned up my hut to move deeper on my journey. The further I traveled the more I began to realize how much I missed the comforts of city life. It was so easy to simply go to the refrigerator or a restaurant to grab a bite to eat which was something that did not exist out here. I began to wonder if I hadn't made a rash decision to strike out into new territory where I didn't have any of the luxuries of civilized life.

 I followed the trail a bit further coming upon one of the most magnificent waterfalls I had ever seen. I admired it watching as it cascaded over the rock face into the pool below which was crystal clear. The water looked fresh and clean so I scooped some into my hand smelling it before I brought it to my lips and drank. It was as fresh and cool as I had imagined so I took another drink then moved on.

 As I wandered, my mind slipped back to my house in the city. I thought about all the luxuries I had there and began to wonder if this is what I really wanted. I had made arrangements for the plane to return in a week knowing there was no way to contact them once I was onshore, but I wondered if I was going to last a week.

 Another night in the wide-open spaces sleeping on the hard ground with little protection from anything including the weather made me think even harder about home.

 

 

Day 14, June 16, 2023

 Woke up sweating this morning, damn it is hot. How is it that overnight it became unbearably hot? I had to figure this out. I gathered my things and started in the direction I thought the beach was. Not paying attention to where I was going I nearly walked off a cliff as I rounded a corner. I stopped myself just before I fell over the edge starring into the deep ravine that stretched in front of me. Rocks that had broken from the edge of the ravine with my sudden stopping motion bounced against the wall into the ravine the sound echoing the length of it. This was not the way back to the beach.

 I carefully stepped away from the edge of the ravine and began retracing my steps to try to find my way back to the beach. Curiosity had been one of my biggest downfalls as I was growing up and it was about to play a very cruel trick on me again taking me to follow the ravine rather than to return the way I came. The length of it made me wonder how such a crevice could be in the middle of nowhere unless some natural disaster had created it. I followed the path around it keeping a good distance away from the edge not wanting to end up at the bottom of it. By nightfall, I had wandered a great distance deeper into the forest following the ravine. With no end in sight, I decided to duck back into the underbrush  to get some sleep so I moved a short distance into the forest where I made a spot to lay my sleeping bag down.

 The sounds of calling birds, screaming creatures of the unknown, and the movement of the forest haunted me as I tried to get some sleep. I toss restlessly pulling the sleeping bag close as the eerie sounds seem to close in around me. The darkness is so deep it feels like it is encompassing me, sucking me into some void with no hope of return. I sit straight up as a scream emits seemingly only a few feet away from my head. Pulling the sleeping bag up to my throat I peer into the darkness trying to see what may have made the sound as the sound of twigs snapping reach my ears. I freeze with fear unsure what may be approaching realizing I have absolutely nothing to defend myself. I grabbed for my pack pulling out the first thing I feel on the top. It wasn't much but the coffee pot would simply have to sacrifice itself to protect me.

Suddenly the scream emitted again, this time sounding like it was all around me. I stood up leaving the safety of my sleeping bag to defend myself against what might be approaching me. Poised with the coffee pot in hand to swing at the intruder I waited straining to see into the darkness.

Day 15, June 17, 2023

I spent most of the night that way looking this way and that waiting for the intruder to attack. The screams continued throughout the night not allowing any sleep for me as I stood guard. As soon as the sun rose I quickly gathered my sleeping bag, repacked the coffee pot and headed toward the beach. I had to find it and get back to civilization as soon as possible. This was not something I was prepared for. I needed to get back to civilization where at least I had somewhat of an idea about what I might encounter every day.

It had originally taken me three days to get to the spot I was at so I hurried my pace took to traverse through the forests mossy area back to where I could see the beach. As I peered toward the beach I was sure it wasn’t where I had originally disembarked. I nearly ran the distance to the beach arriving as the sun was setting. I stopped to take in the stunning sight as the sun slipped below the horizon. The reds and oranges were so vivid as they reflected off the water like a firestorm. I watched until the light was nearly gone then grabbed some of the large leaves along the shore to make myself a shelter. Rolling out my sleeping bag I lay down on it to finish watching the sun as it set.

Day 16, June 18, 2023

I didn't even realize I had drifted off to sleep until I opened my eyes to the sun reflecting off the water. I blinked to clear my vision thinking it was some sort of dream. When I realized it wasn't I slowly began moving so I could work my way to the spot I had set for rendezvous with the plane. I was tired and realized this type of life wasn’t what I wanted, I wanted to go back home. My body ached, I was dirty and hungry. I want to go home, besides I’m afraid my pen is running out of ink which means I can’t…

June 26, 2023

 I am home! I won't forget this adventure anytime soon although I discovered I much prefer the comforts of home. I do have to admit it was different, a bit exciting and gave me a whole new outlook on the life I lead. I learned some things and realized just how much I didn’t know. I am looking forward to doing it again soon.

 To think this whole adventure started with my wanting to start journaling. How amazing is that? Well, I learned to do just that as well as learned what I want in life. I may take another adventure in the future, but I will be far more prepared and I will journal all of that one too so I can share it with everyone I know!

April 11, 2020 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.