16 comments

Fiction Friendship



Days ago, the young giant, too easily distracted, wandered away from his fellow giants. First, he loped after a butterfly. A pretty butterfly with many black lines and splotches of other colors. Until he got distracted by a skittish squirrel, but that little thing climbed higher up a tree than even the giant could reach. With a sigh of disappointment, the big guy moved on. He followed the spots of light that danced through the trees. Until those faded at the end of the day. That disappointment was also soon forgotten when he got a whiff of food, delicious meats and other good stuff. There are very few things that will hold this giant’s attention better than food.


He spent a few hours hunting through the garbage bags and eating all the tasty, smelly things he could find. Then he spent the night in a box, one that had fallen behind a dumpster. Each day he roamed, dividing his attention between what his nose found and anything that moved. Each evening he found yet another pile of discarded food and each morning, he woke from his sleep in a box when the birds started singing. Then he would set out to find those birds only to be distracted by something else.


Little Lookie, on the other hand, hesitated before he left his yard. It was a good yard, a pretty yard with many toys, but nobody to play with. When he heard his little neighbor leave, he slipped under the hedge and trailed Bobbie. Wouldn’t it be great if the two of them could play ball, like they did a few days ago? Lookie knew that catching wasn’t his strength, but he would tirelessly run after the ball. Today Lookie had hesitated too long. His little legs were too short to keep up with Bobbie. He didn’t see his neighbor get in a van. And Bobbie never saw Lookie behind him. 


Lookie whimpered at first, when he lost sight of his friend. He kept running, though. Hoping he’d see or hear Bobbie so he could ask him to play ball. But Bobbie must have run even faster than normal. Lookie got himself all turned around, didn’t recognize where he was. He recognized that he was in a park, but it was not the same park he had visited with his mama. He called out, hoping his mama could hear him. But she probably had the tv on, or maybe he really was too far from home.


Aimlessly he wandered through this new park. And though it wasn’t the wonderful food his mama set before him every night, he was able to pull a few wrappers from a trash bin and put some food in his little tummy. Scared of all the strange sounds and shadows, he huddled under a park bench. Shivering because he wasn’t wearing his warm coat, the one his mama would make him wear when they went outside.


What-cha doing under there? The giant asks. His voice was loud, making Lookie quiver with even more fear.


Trying to be safe. The little fellow whispered.


Tha’s cool. You hungry? The big one who was always hungry, was lying on its belly, staring with curiosity at the dwarf.


The midget nodded. Very.


With a grunt and a huff, the giant stood up, towering over the undersized thing. He simply pushed against the trash bin, toppling it.


Let’s see what’s for breakfast. He poked his large head into the bin. Mostly snacks, but not bad. He declared. C’mon. Take your share. The behemoth urged his tiny new friend. After all, the giant only made friends, had never met a stranger.


What’s your name? Lookie asked between licks, trying to clean the last of the goodness that used to be a Klondike bar.


Don’t know. The big one answered around a mouth full of cold hamburger, spitting out the pickle. I don’t think I own one. Do you have a name?


Yes. My mama calls me Lookie. The little fellow tried to unstick his tongue from the wrapper. How about I call you Luke?


Luke. The giant nodded, happy to have something called a name. He nudged yesterday’s egg salad sandwich toward his new friend. Here, you need to grow.


Thanks, but I think this is as big as I get.


For real? Luke looked at the undersized thing while not letting the egg salad go to waste. Wow. I think my Mom had kids bigger’n you. He paused for a moment. I wonder where they are now.


I miss my mama. Lookie stopped eating, having lost his appetite.


The worst of their hunger stilled, for now, they wandered off. It wasn’t necessary to learn chapter and verse about the other’s life. It was good to just have a friend to roam through the park with, check out each trash bin and find the small creek to drink from.


Lookie soon fell behind. Luke’s legs were so much longer, he covered so much ground with just one step. Lookie’s short legs just plum wore out trying to keep up.


Can you go any slower? Lookie puffed. I’m a bit scared out here on my own. The little fellow admitted. But I can’t keep up with you.


Luke stopped and looked back, waited for Lookie to catch up. I don’t think I can go slower. But you could climb on my back. Go ahead and try it.  Lookie scrambled up, and grabbed hold of the rope necklace Luke was wearing.


Ready? Luke asked. Lookie grunted, concentrating on holding on to the rope. Carefully, Luke stood up and loped off toward the next garbage bin.


For several days they crisscrossed the park and checked out the garbage piles behind the restaurants. At night, while they shared the box, Lookie slept soundly, knowing the Giant had his back.


Then, one day, Luke stopped in his track. The short hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. That truck. His daddy had warned him about that truck. What had he said again? Right. Run. Just run in the other direction, away from that truck.


And run he did. Lookie lost his footing and slipped off the giant’s back but was desperately hanging on to the piece of rope around Luke’s neck. But alas, the little fellow had to let go, couldn’t hold on any longer.


Luke now had a decision to make. Was he going to keep running away from the truck or stick with his new buddy? The new buddy who had admitted to being scared on his own. Luke stopped and turned around, found the little runt curled up in the grass, softly whimpering.


You okay, man? Are you hurt? Luke asked.


I think so, I mean, no, not hurt. Lookie stood up and shook himself off. Why’d you run and why did come back?


Duh! Luke scoffed and looked a little sheepish - like he did emotions. Hell, yes, he did! - He nudged Lookie, toppling his little friend. His big ears picked up the sound of men running up the path, sensing that they were too close for Lookie to outrun them, Luke stood over his little pal. He’d defend him against whatever these men would want to do.


Would they love them, or would they hate them. Would they kill them. He wished his dad had let him know.


The men stopped in their tracks as soon as they came around the corner. One, huffing and puffing after his run, hitched up his pants and looked at the pair. Luke and Lookie saw themselves reflected in the man's mirrored sunglasses.


“Well. What do we have here? What a pair. Hey, fellows, how about you come with us? We got food and we probably can find you a home. Wha’da-ya say, heh?” Slowly the two men came closer to Luke and Lookie.


You think they can find my mama again? Lookie asked.


Don’t know, buddy, but it might be worth a try. Just stand still and let them do what they need to do, okay?


You’re not staying? Panic grew in his voice. Cause then I’m not either. You came back for me. I’ll stick with you.


Luke sighed. Okay, you’re gonna be a hard case about it, aren’t you? Sorry dad. Alright. Together it is.


“Daryl wasn’t kidding.“ Jason and Olivia, two volunteers at the animal shelter, stood back from the kennel grinning, watching the gigantic dog, they thought he might be a cross between a Wolfhound and a Great Dane, sit in the corner of the kennel. The little Chihuahua trembling huddled between his front paws.


“What a pair. The little one has a chip. The owner is on her way. The big one doesn’t.” Jason shook his head. "Such a beautiful, friendly dog. Sure, he’s a bit rambunctious, maybe not even full grown. Someone had claimed it, but he must have chewed through the rope.”


“Where’s my baby boy?” Lookie’s ears pricked up. He yapped at the sound of that voice, pranced on his hind legs, scrabbled against the grill of the kennel. Luke waged his tail. Happy for his little friend, trying not to think ahead. He rarely did anyway.


As soon as Jason opened the door of the kennel, Lookie rushed out, ran circles around his mama’s ankles, then he raced back in and nudged Luke forward.


Come now, come say hello to our mama. Come now!


She’ll not have a big lug like me around. I am nuthin’.


She will too! She’s my mama. You’re my brother. So, she’s your mama too. He gave Luke a quick bite on his hind paw. And if you are nuthin’, then nuthin’ is pretty cool.


Ouch Man! Okay, okay.


“Ma’am is the big one yours too?” Olivia asked Marissa.


It took a minute for her to answer. She was laughing too hard watching Lookie yap and nip the big dog’s neck, while he rode on the giant’s back toward Marissa.


“I think he is now.” She accepted a sloppy hello and scratched Luke behind his ear. “Hey, big boy.”



August 23, 2024 16:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
21:23 Aug 31, 2024

Love everything about dogs. Enjoyed. Nicely done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:44 Aug 31, 2024

What's not to love about a big sloppy dog? :-) Thanks Darvico.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
15:36 Aug 31, 2024

Oh my, Trudy I came back after a bit of problems, and now, thanks to you, am happy and smiling. What a charming story. Love is love no matter what differences need to be overcome to make it last. Thank you muchly.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:43 Aug 31, 2024

You are more than welcome and thank you. I hope you are well again and ready to join us. Since you enjoyed Luke and Lookie, you may like "Story's Mission". It's been called "adorbs" by a friend. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:37 Aug 24, 2024

Looky here. Got another charmer on your cool hands.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:34 Aug 24, 2024

😎 It was by request. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
20:11 Aug 23, 2024

What a sweet story! I worked in animal rescue myself for a time, and I loved the way you humanized the dogs and their funny quirks. It took me right back, and I appreciated the warmth throughout the entire piece.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:21 Aug 23, 2024

Thank you so much, Lonnie. All my animals have come from shelters. Some better behaved than others. LOL But all sweet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
17:51 Aug 23, 2024

Okay, where do I even begin? Loved this story on multiple levels. First, I love dogs more than people and didn't see that twist coming at all. Second, I just loved the basic plot in general and it had me fully engaged from bell to bell. Lastly, all the Cool Hand Luke references were awesome, especially "spending the night in the box" and "You're gonna be a hard case..." I kept thinking that Luke and Lookie were going to find 100 eggs and see who could finish their half first. My money would be on little Lookie. If my puppy says he can eat 5...

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:59 Aug 23, 2024

No problem on the mirrored sunglasses and I might find room for some egg salad sandwiches. LOL Done! Thanks, Tom. Thrilled you liked it.

Reply

TE Wetzel
20:01 Aug 23, 2024

Great homage to my favorite film. Great story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:23 Aug 23, 2024

😎😎😎🤓

Reply

TE Wetzel
11:47 Aug 24, 2024

Just read it again and enjoyed it even more. It really is a beautiful story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:57 Aug 24, 2024

Okay, that is truly flattering. Thanks for rereading it. :-):-):-)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.