0 comments

Fiction

The train is so crowded it’s hard to believe that we are still in the midst of a pandemic. The mask-wearing people are all engrossed in their electronic devices and hardly making any eye contact at all so other than the noise of the train, it’s quiet. It’s hard to communicate with the masks on and if you want to be heard over the din of the train you have to shout which is not considered socially acceptable now at all. 

I’m traveling home to visit my father. When my mother phoned yesterday to tell me that he’d had a fall, I was worried that he would have a difficult time recovering and thought he would be cheered to see me. Of course, we can’t visit indoors, it would be too risky, but I can stay in the guestroom above the garage and we can visit outdoors. Now that the weather is better it is easier to have outdoor visits and I thought I might enjoy some time away from the city. 

The last few months have been hard on everyone but I think it’s been especially hard for those of us living on our own, or so it feels; the isolation has started to get to me. It’s wonderful to be able to work from home and I do value the extra hours that I’m spared commuting to work and back but I find I do miss chatting with my colleagues. Now with all of these bodies all around me, even though we’re not speaking, it does feel somewhat comforting after these last few difficult months. 

The trajectory of the Virus has been like a bad science fiction story and the more we learn about it the more frightening it is. As the world’s population was growing exponentially, a plot was launched to initiate an ethnic cleansing that likes of which the world hadn’t seen since the rise of the Third Reich. But in this story the objects of the cleansing were the aged, the poor and the infirm. It was decided that society would be better off if these people, the most vulnerable members of society, would be eliminated for the greater good. After all, they were only a drain on each country’s resources, as they usually required expensive medical care, financial aid and other supports. 

The highly contagious Virus would spread worldwide within a few months. Those with strong immune systems and the resources to eat a healthy diet, exercise and take nutritional supplements would only have slight symptoms while the poor, the elderly and the immuno- compromised would almost certainly die. 

As predicted the Virus spread worldwide with unprecedented speed and severity. What wasn’t predicted was that the resources of the first responders, hospitals and intensive care units in hospitals around the globe would be unprepared for the onslaught of victims and would experience the fallout from not having the means with which to deal with these severely ill and contagious people. Many would die and many health care providers would also become infected rendering the hospitals short of staff to combat the growing epidemic, now called a pandemic. 

Nursing homes housing the frail and elderly would be hardest hit with many dear old folks unable to see their loved ones, even at the moment of their deaths. Families would be devastated to lose their loved ones without being there to comfort and hold their hands; these were the same hands that had loved and nurtured them. 

Not knowing exactly how contagious or virulent the Virus was, the elderly and immunocompromised were isolated from their families and loved ones and as a result their mental health suffered. Some just faded away and died without ever being infected by the Virus. 

In the poorest communities– where people had to live in the closest quarters – often many people shared a crowded house or apartment, the Virus spread with virulence. These were also often the people who had fewer resources to hygiene and healthy diets so the death rate in these communities was very high.

People who had compromised immune systems following cancer treatments, those with autoimmune diseases like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Type 1 diabetes and those with other health issues like heart and lung disorders were also very vulnerable to the disease. While others in their households might have had minor or no symptoms at all, they were often hospitalized and ended up on respirators. 

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to those who had launched the Virus, many companies were in hot pursuit of a vaccine that would eradicate the Virus and return the world to its former pre-pandemic environment. Pharmaceutical companies raced to be the first to find a vaccine and there were a couple of promising results. When the vaccines launched it seemed like sanity and safety would again be restored worldwide. 

But those who had created the original plot were horrified that the vaccines would undo their good work. They rushed to vilify the pharmaceutical companies and launched an extensive campaign to claim that the vaccine was dangerous, that not enough testing had been conducted to ensure their safety and efficacy and that pharmaceutical companies were just in it to make money. Some even claimed that the Virus was a hoax created by those who wanted to control populations through fear and uncertainty.

I was one of the lucky ones. I did come in contact with the Virus but had relatively mild symptoms and was back on my feet quickly. However, the new variants were worrying and again I was lucky enough to get the vaccination pretty early on. 

When the governments launched the full-on vaccination campaigns, there were those that launched counter vaccination campaigns with faulty science, pseudo-medical experts and other scare tactics that would appeal to people with questionable intellect. They used social media, the vehicles of choice to appeal to this segment of society, to further their cause and spread the gospel of their deceit. People already prone to questioning government and the powers that be, gobbled up these messages and spread them with certitude.

As the conspiracy theories spread, even logical minds were converted; others were confused and didn’t know what information they could trust; still others presented scientific proof and logical arguments as to why the vaccines were safe and could be trusted. Meanwhile, in the midst of the debate, the Virus was continuing to spread in the vulnerable communities. 

Hospitals were straining with the incoming cases and hospital staff was complaining of burnout and fatigue. Without at least a significant proportion of the population receiving the vaccination there appeared to be no end in the sight. 

Those that expressed distrust in the vaccine did not offer any alternatives except for boosting your immune system, something that most people in the vulnerable populations were not able to do. As a result, the Virus has remained active for these many years. 

Still, the train remains crowded and as we move through the city and I start to see the green fields emerging, I breathe a sigh of relief as if I’m leaving it all behind. Finally, the concrete towers and crowded streets are out of sight and we are hurtling through a dense forest. The thick expanse of wooded land opens into a meadow laden with spring flowers like jewels on a carpet of green. 

My stop is the next one and I prepare to get off the train; I’m looking forward to breathing in some fresh air. The platform finally approaches and I get off the train and even with my mask on the country air is sweet and fresh. When I’m safely outside of the train station I remove my mask and breathe in some fresh air before putting it back on to get into my cab. 

Finally, I’m at my parents’ laneway and as the house comes into sight, I see the oak tree that my father planted when I was ten. I remember how excited I had been when he’d planted the tree that was little more than a shrub at the time and how I dreamed of the swing that he’d build when it grew bigger. The tree is big enough now but I’m well past the age of wanting to play in a playground but I notice that my father finally managed to install a rope swing from one of the taller branches. 

I get out of the taxi and wave to my folks who are waiting on the porch and I see that my father has a cast on his leg. 

“It’s nothing really, darling,” my father assures me. “I was just a little clumsy that’s all.” 

We are not wearing masks so I don’t come too close and we don’t hug but I can feel the love that’s pouring between us and it warms my heart. 

“I see you finally built that swing, Dad. I’m sorry I’m too hold to use it now.”

“You’re never too old sweetheart. In fact, that’s how I broke my leg. I guess I got a little carried away when I was swinging and decided to jump off like I used to do when I was ten. I guess I just miscalculated a touch.”

We have a good laugh about it then. The image of my old dad swinging from the oak tree, so alight with the joy of being alive that he completely forgot that he was even older than that tree and maybe he should know better, was delightful. 

When dad planted that tree so many years ago, he had no idea what would be coming. Did any of us? They now predict that herd immunity will eventually kick in and most of the world will develop antibodies to the Virus. But at this moment, all of that fades into the background. The oak tree provides us with cool shade as we look out over the greening landscape. We are just enjoying the sheer pleasure of being alive, being together and breathing in the fragrance of the spring air; a rare moment of pure bliss. 

April 16, 2021 23:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.