Threads of Independence

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Your character wants something very badly — will they get it?... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Thriller Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of sexual violence.

Kiyomi Khan stood on the balcony of her high-rise apartment, staring out at the neon-lit skyline of a world that had betrayed her. Her fingers drummed lightly on the railing, a habit she had developed to distract herself from the rising fury within. Below her, sleek cars zipped along floating highways, while drones hummed through the air, delivering everything from food to the latest in mind-control devices. The hum of advanced technology surrounded her; yet, it was a world where the simplest desires—her desires—were being slowly crushed beneath a weight she could no longer bear.

She wasn’t supposed to be here. Not in this gilded cage, where her every move was monitored, where her thoughts weren’t even her own. But the world had changed, and it had turned her dreams into ashes.

Kiyomi had spent her entire life in pursuit of independence. A doctorate in neuroscience, an MBA, and an engineering degree—she had been the embodiment of ambition, intelligence, and drive. Her work in Nano-Mind technology had revolutionized the field of artificial intelligence, but instead of accolades and opportunities, the world regressed. Society, particularly its men, had decided that women like her—intelligent, beautiful, driven—belonged not in laboratories or boardrooms, but in kitchens, nurseries, and bedrooms.

The laws had changed first. Subtly, then swiftly. Telepathy, telekinesis, and Nano-Mind technologies had allowed for unprecedented control over the mind and body. Men—powerful men—had seized this control, using it to assert their belief that women’s place was no longer in the workforce. They framed it as protection, as a return to “natural order.” But Kiyomi knew the truth: it was about power. Always about power.

The first time they had tried to "help" her, she'd laughed it off. How absurd it had been—these men in their suits, with their self-satisfied smiles, telling her she was “too beautiful” to work, that her talents were better suited to “supporting a strong man.” Her intellect and ambition, they said, would only exhaust her. "Why struggle?" they had asked. "You deserve rest, Kiyomi. Peace. A man to take care of you."

Peace.

She snorted bitterly at the thought. Peace was the last thing she felt now. All she wanted was independence—a life free from the oppression of these so-called protectors. She had earned her right to a house, a car, retirement, and the freedom to live on her own terms. But they wouldn’t let her have it. Not without the price of submission. And she refused to pay it.

Kiyomi had been through too much—too many nights filled with pain and terror, the memory of hands and mouths that had taken from her what could never be returned. She had been sexually assaulted over thirty times, each time by men who believed that her existence was meant for their pleasure. And each time, she had risen, determined not to let them break her.

But now, it wasn’t just physical violence she fought against—it was an entire world, an entire system designed to cage her.

The door to her apartment slid open with a soft hiss, and Kiyomi turned to see one of her former colleagues, Dr. Hiroshi Sato, step inside. His face was pinched with concern, but there was something else in his eyes. Pity.

“I told you not to come here,” Kiyomi said coldly, not moving from her spot on the balcony.

Hiroshi sighed, running a hand through his graying hair. “Kiyomi, they’re coming for you. You need to cooperate. If you don’t…”

“I know what they’ll do,” she interrupted, her voice sharp. “They’ll wipe my mind, force me into some Stepford Wife role for one of their cronies. Do you think I’m just going to lie down and let them take everything from me?”

He took a tentative step forward. “It doesn’t have to be like that. If you play along—just for a while—they might ease up. You’re not the only one they’re targeting. A lot of us are trying to work from the inside, to change things.”

Kiyomi whirled on him, her dark eyes blazing. “Work from the inside? You mean submit. Let them think they’ve won while they strip away everything we fought for?”

Hiroshi’s face fell. He didn’t respond, and that silence told her everything she needed to know. He had already given in.

“Get out,” she said, turning her back to him again. “I won’t be part of your little game.”

There was a moment’s hesitation, and then the door slid shut once more, leaving her alone.

The air seemed heavier now, oppressive. She could feel the Nano-Mind tech buzzing in the atmosphere, tracing her thoughts, trying to influence her decisions. It was insidious—these microscopic nanobots implanted in her mind, constantly seeking to rewrite her will, to make her believe that the life they wanted for her was the life she wanted, too.

But Kiyomi had built the very tech they now used to control her. She knew its limits, its flaws. It could influence thoughts, but it couldn’t break the mind of someone who truly understood how to fight back. Every day was a battle to hold onto her identity, to stop herself from slipping into the docile, agreeable woman they wanted her to become. Every night, she went to bed, unsure if she would wake up with her own thoughts still intact.

And yet, she couldn’t keep this up forever. The constant mental strain, the surveillance, the isolation—it was wearing her down.

Her eyes flicked to the small device on the table inside. The disruptor. The one thing she had managed to create in secret, without them knowing. It would block the Nano-Mind tech, sever her connection to their network of control.

But using it meant escape, not just from this apartment but from everything she had ever known. She would have to disappear, leave behind her dreams of owning a home, a car, of retiring on her terms. They would hunt her relentlessly, and if they found her, they would destroy her mind completely. It was a dangerous gamble. But staying here—staying in this prison—they would destroy her soul.

She moved inside, her fingers brushing the sleek surface of the disruptor. The tiny device was no larger than a credit card, but it was her only chance. Once activated, it would send out a pulse that would disrupt every mind-control signal within a mile radius. It would give her time to run.

Kiyomi hesitated. She had always believed she could fight them from within, that her intelligence and skills would be enough to outwit those who sought to control her. But they had the power of the entire system on their side. And more importantly, they had time. They could afford to be patient, to chip away at her piece by piece until she was no longer herself.

Her hand hovered over the disruptor.

Her mind flashed to a future where she was a mere shell of herself, married off to some rich executive, her days spent serving him, her nights spent in cold silence. A future where her dreams of independence, of freedom, were crushed under the weight of the world’s expectations.

No.

She couldn’t live like that.

With a deep breath, Kiyomi picked up the disruptor. She glanced around her apartment one last time, knowing she would never see it again. The life she had built here—the life they had taken from her—it was gone. But she was still standing. And as long as she could think, as long as she could resist, she was still free.

She activated the disruptor. A soft pulse spread through the room, and for a moment, the buzzing in her mind stopped. The silence was disorienting, but it was also exhilarating. For the first time in years, she could feel her own thoughts clearly, untainted by the constant hum of control.

She grabbed a bag she had packed weeks ago, already prepared for this moment. She couldn’t afford to waste any time. The pulse wouldn’t last forever, and once they realized what she had done, they would come for her.

But for now, she was free.

The night air hit her as she stepped onto the street, her heart pounding in her chest. The city around her was alive with the hum of technology, but for once, it wasn’t controlling her.

Kiyomi Khan walked into the darkness, her future uncertain, but her will unbroken.

She didn’t have a house, a car, or retirement. Not yet.

But she had something far more valuable.

She had herself. And that, she knew, was enough.

September 11, 2024 17:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.