Buried under the colour red

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write your story about two characters tidying up after a party.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Science Fiction

The party has come to an end. A couple is sitting on a green couch. Renee and Alex. They both stop hugging. Then one of them proceeds to put music, "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson starts playing; the volume, 85 decibels, as loud as the human ears can handle. They should tidy up before morning.


Red plastic cups, all over the fraternity's floor. There's toilet paper everywhere but the washroom; condoms stuck inside the sink, a ball full of toothpaste on the microwave, and goat's excrement inside the living room's top drawer. A few books on the counter are sticky due to the urine someone spill there earlier that night; some of the books are ruined, except one. Only one book survived the chaos, created by the party celebrating the end of the semester.


Panic will soon start. A couple can be found cleaning. Laying on the floor, behind the green couch, one of them soon notices a black shiny object buried under the colour red. A gun.


One of them, knees to grab the gun, while the other opposes the idea of touching that black shiny object. As the person kneeling reaches to hold the gun, a cold feeling invades the two present. The couple feels many things at the same time, although words are not found. They lack any experience involving guns, so they fear the possible accident they could cause. Multiple questions are passing through their minds, nevertheless, there's one that takes the stage, and that's "to whom does the gun belongs?".


It took them long to google some of their questions, or at least the ones the Internet could have an answer to. One of them wanted to just leave the house, but the other didn't. Later on, the member of the couple who was kneeling, checks if the gun is loaded, as the other one asked to. Surprisingly there are no bullets found inside, instead, a tinny, dusty, silver key. It would seem that gun was specially made to hide the silver key; if it weren't that way and the gun was ordinary, nothing but bullets would have fit. The one who wanted to leave panicked more than the other.


The person holding the gun looked at their partner. Finally, all those questions they were having in their heads, came out as if wolves were chasing every word. It turned out, the person not holding the gun, had suspicions as to where that key could leed.


The couple headed to the library, in the basement. They walk towards the chimney. Once they looked closely, they could distinguish there was a door, they had to get inside that red chimney, open it with the silver key, and push to see what was on the other side. So they did.


The last foot out of the four, was in the room, inside the chimney. The lights turned on instantly. There was a man, dress in all white, his hands hiding behind his clothes, and head looking down. He smiled while looking up. At the point where the couple could see the man's eyes and barely his smile, he stopped raising his head. The man's green shinny eyes pointed into the couple. Both members of the couple could see how he genteelly stopped hiding his right hand. After his left hand uncovers as well and the couple notices the red sparkly gun the man hold. The couple was speechless. With no hesitation, the man pointed with the gun towards the couple, killed the person on the right, then the one on the left. Both bodies fell to the floor, making no noise.


The end.


What an interesting book, thought Renee, closing it. It had Been hard to read the story since the music was too loud. Renee asked Alex to turn the music off. Alex did, then took the book from Renee's hands and put it next to the pissed books. Alex asked Renee for help so they could both tidy up the place.


Alex picked up the first cup from a mountain of red plastic cups. Laying on the floor, behind the green couch, Alex soon notices a black shiny object buried under the red plastic cups. A gun.


Alexa knees to grab the gun, while Renee opposes the idea of touching that black shiny object. Alex reaches to hold the gun, and a cold feeling invades both of them.


It took them a long time to google some of their questions. Renee wanted to just leave the house, but Alex refuses. Renee asked Alex to check if the gun was loaded. there are no bullets found inside, instead, a tinny, dusty, silver key.


Renee had suspicions as to where that key could leed, inside deeply hoping she was wrong, and at the same unsure if it was a prank. Alex and Renee headed to the library, in the basement. Renee knew to walk towards the chimney. Alex was concussed about Renee's knowledge of the secret door hidden inside the chimney. Once they looked closely, they could distinguish there was indeed a door. The door seems old, just like Renee pictured. Using the key they open the door, but it did not open easily; the door was very heavy.


Alex first stepped into the room going left. When Renee's feet were both inside, the light turned on. There was a man, dress in all white, his hands hiding behind his clothes, and head looking down. He smiled while looking up. At the point where the couple could see the man's eyes and barely his smile, he stopped raising his head. The man's green shinny eyes pointed into the couple. Both Alex and Renee could see how he genteelly stopped hiding his right hand. Right after, his left hand uncovers as well and Alex and Renee notice the red sparkly gun the man holds. They were both speechless. With no hesitation, the man pointed the gun towards them. He killed Renee; the body fell making no noise, on the right side of the room. Alex on the left looked one last time at Renee's body.


The man with white clothing pointed at Alex and then stopped. Alex smiled, then said: "Got any more keys?".

May 15, 2021 02:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.