39 comments

Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.



I feel I spent a lifetime on this train.


Enlessly being jostled from side to side. Blindly staring at the scenery through dirty windows. Startled by a sudden whistle blast announcing a tunnel, then squinting against the hazy yellow sun. Occasionally all is obscured by the billowing white smoke from the engine. Dozens of unwashed bodies. Fragrant and pungent food shared with neighbors and whining children. Cigarettes, joints, pipes, and drink handed around with a wink and a smile. Voices sharing news and gossip, whispers, and giggles. A young woman sings a lullaby to her infant son. A grandmother picks up the tune. Gradually the car grows silent.


The train climbs, switches back and forth, ever higher. More tunnels. The flat river delta lies in shades of green far below and will soon be a memory. The stifling heat we once knew is slowly seeping out the open windows, replaced by a new cool dampness. By nightfall, the train will reach the summit. Everyone will step out, build small cooking fires, and spread sleeping rolls. Once the sun rises, my friends and I will proceed up on our own. We will walk. A donkey will carry the heavier load, the rest will be on our backs.


With the drug induced silence hanging in the car, I take my satchel and walk to the balcony at the back of the train. Dusk is falling, not enough light remains to read. It doesn’t matter, I’ve seen the picture, know the message by heart.


We saw it. More tomorrow.


Joaquim’s pigeon with the pealed-off polaroid came to me two weeks ago. The promised next message never came. I would have been on this train ten days ago, but I had to wait for official permission. I wish I were more impulsive and rushed off looking for Joaquim and Cyril, my colleagues. Lord knows what happened to them.


I flick the butt of my cigarette over the end of the balcony, idly watching the sparks dance in the fading light. One last blast from the whistle. The last tunnel before the summit. I turn and weave my way back inside. Tap Mel, James, and Ravi on their shoulders, alerting them to gather their packs. Soon after we’ve cleared the last tunnel, the train slows, mercifully comes to a halt. Everyone exists.


James valiantly tries to heat the coals in our assigned cook pit. A young woman watches us. She stands back a few paces, arms crossed. I see her smile of amusement. I nod to our pitiful attempt and raise my eyebrow, silently asking for help. She steps forward and pushes James aside. We sit back and watch as she quickly has the coals heated, the root vegetables chopped, seasoned, and skewered. She carefully cubes and seasons the meat and lets it roast. I ask Ravi to negotiate with her.


She turns to me before Ravi speaks. “I know where you are going. I know the way, the land. I’ll be your cook and guide.”


“Why?”


I may not know the route from experience, but I have read Joaquim’s earlier messages and understand the trek will be tough.


“Melin, my betrothed, is their guide.” She serves us and takes her share of the food. I glance at James, Ravi, and Mel. They nod.


“Okay. What’s your name?”


She smiles. “Call me Ayah.” The word for nursemaid.


The sky is mauve when she wakes us. More potatoes and pork wrapped in palm leaves. The fire is already doused. Thermoses have been filled with strong sweet tea.

The passengers are reboarding and look curiously at us as the train slowly descends down the other side.


Once we have properly packed our gear, loaded the donkey with his burden and hoisted our packs, we set off. Ayah walks beside me, the donkey follows, Mel, Ravi and James make up the rear.


Soon we are in a land few have seen. The trees are tall and straight. Bare till their canopy spreads to greet the sun. Up in the dark green leaves are birds with songs, clicks, screeches and the occasional aria. Plants and bushes with large leaves and enormous colorful flowers are straining to live, absorbing every drop of moisture and flicker of sunshine that reaches the jungle floor. Rodents, monkeys, insects, boar, and snakes watch us pass.


“None of them will attack, they will defend, however.” Ayah tells us. “As they should. We are the intruders. We are the ones needing to be polite and beg passage.”

When the sun is high, Ayah hands us our lunch ration.


“When did you make these?” James asks her.


“When you slept. We don’t have time to stop and make a fire each time we want to eat. Come, the climb is ahead.”


By the third day we leave the taller trees behind. Each day the vegetation growth thinner, sparer. By the eighth day, we are on bare rocks. Our donkey complains with each step. We let him go and divide his burden among us. The four of us alternate carrying the larger loads till each of us has found their comfort level.


Mid-morning on day ten, Ravi points silently up the mountain. We see something red. We can’t make out if it’s a flag, a jacket, or something else. Distances are deceiving in the thin air.


It takes us more than two hours to reach what turns out to be a scrap of fabric tied to a stick. A signpost? A landmark? We root among the small rocks and pebbles, but don’t find a message. Then the sun hits the summit, just before it sets. Something glints, reflects, flashes. James thinks it’s morse and attempts to signal back, but the light fails.


Ayah yodels. A sound comes back. Is it her echo or Melin answering? Even she isn’t sure. Because it's too dark to climb we, reluctantly, make camp.


Before first light, Ayah wakes us, cautioning us to remain quiet, reminding us that sounds multiply in the mountains. She hands us the breakfast she made last night. Last night’s tea has grown cold, but we drink it. We have a quiet debate whether to leave the camp or pack up. In the end we decide to secure the bulkiest pieces, Before we climb on I release a pigeon sending our coordinates and the fact we found the first sign of Joaquim and Cyril to myself. I have two more birds.


The climb is hard, steep, the wind has grown colder, stronger and is against us. Clinging close to the rocks we make slow progress.


Till …


Mel is in front. We are climbing almost on hands and knees, trying not to get blown back as fast as we go forward. Ravi is second. Ayah is directly in front of me, James brings up the rear. Mel stops, we bump into each other. I look up.


Breath fails me.


Directly in front of Mel is … a creature. Easily seven feet tall, its physique in proportion to its height. Covered in long, thick dingy hair it looks enormous, otherworldly, frightening. I watch Ayah salaam and hear her murmur “Namaste.”

I follow her example. As do Mel and Ravi. I can’t see him but hope James does as well.


The creature turns and easily walks up the mountain as if it’s strolling around the block. Mel starts to turn around, but we urge him to follow the creature. He lets us pass but falls in with James. We crawl up the mountain, fighting the bitter wind for what feels like an eternity, but is probably no more than ten minutes.


We enter a cave.


It’s dark inside. I shield my torch with my hand and look deeper inside. I gasp, stop, try to make sense of what I see.


Cyril, what’s left of him is strung up by his feet. Pieces of him are gone. Joaquim and Melin are huddled in the back. Their eyes are hollow. Having known terror, hearing their friend’s cries in the dark, anticipating the inevitability of their own gruesome death. They turn their faces away from the feeble light of my torch.


I grab Ayah’s arm, restraining her from going to Melin. “Wait” I whisper. She trembles under my fingers but holds back, just barely.


Mel, surprisingly, steps forward. Using what he learned from years of studying apes and orang-outans, he attempts to interact. In the end it is a matter of us or it. Though as naturalists we loathe the idea of possibly eliminating a species, our survival instincts win.


It takes all five of us more than two weeks to carry the two of them off the mountain. They are weak from hunger and thirst. Suffer from terrifying nightmares. We camp for three days on the last summit, along the tracks, waiting for the train to come back from the valley and take us to the lowlands.


Ayah is invaluable in finding edibles among the myriads of poisonous plants and animals. None of us would have lived to reach the train stop, let alone be here on this train, going back to what we know if it hadn’t been for her.


With each twist and turn the green delta, the meticulous rice fields come closer. I stare blindly at the white sky. Joaquim, who sits across from me, opens his eyes with a start. Bewildered he looks around, as he does every time he wakes. It pains me each time to see the realization hit him anew, the agony of his memory flooding back, hearing in his mind the screams and moans of his friend, his partner. His eyes well up.


A man sitting across the aisle, offers Joaquim his pipe. Gratefully he takes it, doses himself and closes his eyes. I hope he can lose himself in sleep once more.


On the last balcony, lighting my cigarette, I lean on the railing. I fish the scrap of photopaper from my chest pocket, hold the end of my cigarette to the flimsy paper and watch it curl into ash before I let the final corner drift away.


I look up at the receding mountain top. Was it only a month or so ago that we rushed up? Determined to reveal the truth to the world. No, I’ll never share the coordinates. What my friends lived through, how Cyril died should never be repeated.


July 05, 2024 14:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Myranda Marie
16:05 Jul 13, 2024

Brava, my friend ! This too should be an epic movie!!!! Your imagery is so thought provoking, it is easy to see the story in my mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel R. Hayes
21:03 Jul 10, 2024

And the train kept rollin' all night long 🎵 Trudy!!! This was magnificent! I truly felt like I was in the story with your brilliant imagery! I applaud your creativity and ability to churn out masterpiece after masterpiece. They say writing is subjective, but I love all your stories and think that you outdo yourself every week! Can't help it...I'm a big fan!! 🪭

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:23 Jul 10, 2024

😊 Thank you, thank you. We'll just have our own mutual admiration club, cause I'm a fan of your stories too.🤜🤛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lee Kendrick
15:08 Jul 17, 2024

Trudy, I enjoyed your story, it had lots of ambience. Very atmospheric. When you mentioned the size of the creature I automatically thought, Yeti! Well done, and good luck in the contest.

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:31 Jul 17, 2024

Thank you, Lee. Glad Yeti was recognizable. :-) And thanks on the good wishes for the contest. Here's hoping. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
11:29 Jul 16, 2024

It's been a while since I've read it, but something about this reminded me of For Whom the Bell Tolls (no bad thing!). Such skillful descriptions, the beauty of the landscape and the trials and lighter moments of everyday life expertly interwoven with the sinister.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:36 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you, Carol. I'm glad you liked it. I've never read 'For whom the bell tolls' but you're right, a comparison, couldn't be a bad thing. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
15:29 Jul 13, 2024

Another great tale, Trudy! The images are fantastic, I was along on the journey. I don't know how you do it, such imagination! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:45 Jul 13, 2024

Thanks, Hannah. I don't either, it's scary sometimes where i end up. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
11:12 Jul 13, 2024

And this is excellent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Kenah
21:53 Jul 11, 2024

Very compelling story. Haunting. I love how you create such imagery in all your stories. Great read.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:15 Jul 11, 2024

Thank you, Linda. This one is a little different from my usual style. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
19:39 Jul 11, 2024

You took us along on this journey from the first line to the last. We could feel their fear and determination with each exhausting step. We don't know what Joaquim and Melin saw, but we know it is unspeakable. You are able to write in so many styles with the same ease and creativity. Another terrific story!

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:22 Jul 11, 2024

Thank you, Karen. High praise, indeed. But I guess I wasn't specific enough about Yeti/big foot. LOL

Reply

Karen Hope
20:53 Jul 11, 2024

I just looked back... Yes - the creature who led them to the cave. My bad for missing that connection. I need to read more fantasy :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:13 Jul 11, 2024

No problem. LOL Not that I mind someone rereading my story. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
19:32 Jul 10, 2024

The trip is the story, the ending is the beginning...classic. What kind of terror is forever imprinted on everyone who hears about what happened? This is what story telling does. Its not what is told, its the imprint of what remains, like the finishing touch of a fine wine, the taste that lingers in your mind where it can live forever. I must have missed the news flash...when is your novel coming out, Trudy?

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:31 Jul 10, 2024

LOL Thank you, Joe. You're too kind. I'm halfway through a very good Pinot Noir, so Cheers. (hoping Netherlands pulls it out int he enxt twenty minutes. Don't tell the brits.) :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
03:12 Jul 10, 2024

Your voice here really reminds me of black and white horror flicks like The Crawling Eye. Nice take on a familiar monster

Reply

Trudy Jas
05:38 Jul 10, 2024

Thank you, Keba. I was leaning in that direction, though I had to put the polaroid in there, to get the picture. Poetic license. Lol I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:58 Jul 08, 2024

What a gripping story. So relieved they rescued J and M and got to safety again. The world doesn't need to know about Big Foot. You wonder what they did wrong for Cyril to be treated so badly. Intruding on territory? Humans have done it all through history. Sometimes with dire results. Great story, as always.

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:50 Jul 08, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn for reading The Train and giving your thoughtful feedback. My thought about Cyril is that Big Foot simply got hungry (though, I realize the timeline is off for that) but can tell, Big Foot won't. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
13:00 Jul 07, 2024

Bigfoot in... India? Nepal? Great opening line btw. Vivid description both on the train and on the trek... and I had to know what they were going to find up the mountain. Was absolutely not expecting the monster though, and the suspended remains of Cyril. Great story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:19 Jul 07, 2024

Thanks, Jessie. Good to hear the suspense and build-up worked. Thanks for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
23:37 Jul 06, 2024

From the beginning with the train ride the suspense starts and slowly builds, tension increasing, then a touch of fantasy- horror and shock! The vivid sensory details immerse the readers so we experience them too. The photo is cleverly used in an evocative way. What happened will not be told to others. A haunting tale! Great story and skillfully told.

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:55 Jul 07, 2024

Thank you, Kristi. Thanks for your lovely review. It is a little darker than most my stories, isn't it. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
18:44 Jul 06, 2024

This borderlines on horror, with a giant monster, a cold barren mountain, a man hung up by his feet- 'In the end it is a matter of us or it.' !! I got goosebumps, kind of scary! Thanks

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:59 Jul 06, 2024

Thanks, Mary. Did get a bit dark there, didn't I? :-) A new territory for me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:17 Jul 06, 2024

Got a feeling like I was there. Nice one.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:14 Jul 06, 2024

:-) Thank you, Darvico, Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
20:15 Jul 05, 2024

Trudy, this vivid story brought back a long past trip I took by train through the Andes. You took it much further, of course, and expertly. Great tale. Well told.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:36 Jul 05, 2024

What? You didn't run into Big Foot? LOL Thanks, John for reading. Glad to help you reminisce.

Reply

John K Adams
22:27 Jul 05, 2024

In retrospect, Bigfoot might have been an improvement. Certainly simpler. Your description of the train ride was perfect.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:00 Jul 05, 2024

You have the first story posted once again within an hour of the prompt. What a repertoire you must keep! Fascinating tale.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:17 Jul 05, 2024

Thanks, Mary. Still have about a dozen waiting and am working on another one. :-) Like you asked: no, I don't have anything better to do. t's cheap entertainment and keep s the noodle working. :-)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:20 Jul 05, 2024

I have to take my poor brain every time for a clue. You need to write for Elegant Literature. Check them out.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:00 Jul 08, 2024

Thanks for the tip. I looked at them. Would you believe I don't have anything that fits? But I have the rest of the month to fabricate something.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:31 Jul 05, 2024

Trudy, once again, splendid work. Your use of imagery here is just phenomenal. I love how vivid the descriptions are. The flow was really smooth too. A really gripping tale. Lovely job!

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:18 Jul 05, 2024

Thanks, Alexis. Still need to get to yours. right after lunch. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.