1 comment

Friendship Fiction

      “It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat.” The only response Marcus got was a chuckle. Rolling his eyes, he went back to working his personal project: a magnificent robot that would surely win the leaders’ approval.

           “I’m honestly surprised you aren’t more worried about her, M. You know she’s just below the cutoff,” The girl next to him said. Marcus just snorted.

           “Why should I be worried about her, Mars? It doesn’t matter to me.” Marcus did not even look at Mars when he responded. Crossing her arms, Mars glared at the back of Marcus’s head.

           “Do you even know what happens to the people below the cutoff?” Joan frowned as Marcus finally turned to face her.

           “Yeah, of course. They go off to that farm they tell us about to work the fields.” A sad laugh escaped Mars and she just shook her head at the confused boy. “Isn’t that where they go?” Marcus sounded smaller now as if he suddenly realized the reality of the situation. Mars did not respond, instead turning around and rigging the wires to her project. She was a fantastic mechanic and could easily win the entire competition, but that was not her goal. The fantastical presentation of her project covered the fact that it would just stop halfway through the parade. Mars was sure of it. She had tested it so many times that she had lost count just trying to get it perfect. If she could time it just right, she could make sure that Liliann stayed above the cutoff. The only problem with her plan was the people below the cutoff. She had to make sure she did worse than Liliann while still doing better than the people below her, so she would not be launched down in ranks. That was why she had tested it meticulously and observed Liliann’s bot from a distance as well as the lower ranks’.

           “If Liliann falls below, what will they do to her?” Marcus scratched at the back of his neck. Mars gave him a sad smile.

           “You’ll never see her again. At least, in this world…” Mars trailed off with a sigh. Marcus looked overly pale as he began to bite his lip. His brows creased together and he looked deep in thought. Letting out a small laugh at his face, Mars quickly threw a hand over her mouth to attempt to stifle the giggles that were threatening to spill out. She had to be serious, but she erupted into a fit of laughter when Marcus started making faces.

           “Why’re you laughing at me?” Marcus asked sternly while dancing around like the floor was on fire. Mars just shook her head while attempting to control her outburst.

           “You’re an idiot.” Mars grinned as Marcus feigned offense.

           “And you, ma’am, laugh like a donkey.” Marcus grinned back.

           “Oh, you-“ Mars was cut off by a female leader walking past them. She stared at them coldly until they resumed working on their projects.

           “What a buzzkill,” Marcus whispered causing Mars to let out a small smile, “but I figured out how we’re gonna keep Liliann in the ranks while keeping our records nice and pristine.”

           “I think the pristine part was forgone with the leader walking by while we weren’t technically working.” Mars said, chuckling as Marcus imitated the woman’s stern glare.

           “Well, mostly pristine.”

           “What’s your genius plan, you doof?”

           “Not here,” Marcus looked up at the clock, “Meet me at five on the river banks.”

           “Get back to work, young man!” The same leader chastised Marcus. Mars pretended to busy herself with work as the woman gave her a sharp glare as if daring her to fall out of line. The woman passed them and the rest of their time spent working went quickly. Soon it was five and Mars was just making her way to the river banks. She sprinted through the darkening streets until she saw Marcus standing by a fallen tree.

           “Finally! You’re here,” Marcus rolled her eyes as Mars gave him a lame excuse, “Fall asleep again?”

           “Yeah.” Marcus rolled his eyes at the response, but let out a small laugh.

           “So, smartie, what is this amazing plan I’ve been waiting all afternoon for?” Mars asked after a small period of silence.

           “You know the ruled for the competition, right?” Marcus asked, suddenly serious. Mars knitted her brows together.

           “Everyone knows there aren’t any besides you must present an invention at the parade. What are you getting at?”

           “It’s true that everyone knows that, but why isn’t there any sabotage then?”

           “No one catches them and no one cares.”

           “Haha, ding ding! No one cares enough to discipline cheaters!” Marcus announced triumphantly. Mars was still confused.

           “Are you suggesting we cheat?” Mars’s easy laughter died out when she realized Marcus was not joking.

           “We can even improve our ranks while moving Liliann up too! It’s a foolproof plan, Mars.” Marcus seemed befuddled by her lack of enthusiasm. Mars was beginning to feel sick.

           “Don’t you remember what the leaders said this year at the banquet?” Mars closed her eyes while Marcus seemed to get more perplexed by the second.

           “No?”

           “Of course you don’t. You were asleep the entire time.” Mars said sharply opening her eyes to glare at Marcus.

           “So?”

           “They told us that anyone caught cheating would be placed in the last rank and be immediately ‘sent to the farm’.” Mars used finger quotes around the phrase and rolled her eyes.

           “They can’t do that! There aren’t supposed to be any rules! It says so in the Book of Laws! Several times!” Marcus said incredulously.

           “It seems they don’t care anymore. No rules apparently isn’t good for maintaining good character.” Groaning at Mars, Marcus frowned deeply.

           “Well, then, we just can’t get caught.” Taking off toward his house, Marcus waved a goodbye as Mars called after him.

           “You cannot possibly still want to go through with this! Marcus Ezra Swillth!” Mars yelled, but Marcus did not turn back. Eventually, she headed back home herself, hoping he would not get into too much trouble during the night. Her sleep was fitful and it was quickly interrupted by a siren. It took a while for Mars to register that it was the fire siren, but, when she did, she was out of her dorm room in a quick second. Rubbing her eyes, Mars looked up at a large stage where the same woman from the day before stood with Marcus behind her looking very guilty. Mars narrowed her eyes at him as he gave her a crooked smile. She looked for Liliann in the crowd, spotted her, and walked over to her.

           “What’d he do now?” Liliann asked in a breathy voice, rolling her eyes. Mars smirked.

           “If I told you, you’d be an accomplice to his insanity,” Mars teased. Liliann shook her head with a big smile on her face. She was still in her pajamas, a wispy white nightdress, and her hair was down which was unusual. Must not have had enough time to put it up, Mars thought. An intense stare drew her eyes away from Liliann and towards Marcus. He was looking from her to the stairwell to the dense forest on the left of the stage. A small, mischievous smile from Liliann meant that she had picked up on the plan. They were going to go through with it. Mars let out a shaky breath as the woman spoke in a high, nasally voice about the dangers of cheating to win. Marcus tried his best to look ashamed, but Mars could tell he was holding back a laugh. This was not a good plan. She knew this, but then why did she follow Liliann into the dark canopy, Marcus running close behind?

           “C’mon, Mars!” Liliann laughed as she ran, the shouts of people chasing them forgotten as they went deeper and deeper into the forest. After a while, they stopped in a field of flowers, the only break in the trees for what seemed like miles.

           “This was the worst plan ever!” Mars shrieked, “We can’t go back after this! Not even our parents will take us back! You remember Fredrick! His family wouldn’t even look at him!”

           “Then we won’t go back.” Marcus said firmly. Liliann smiled and nodded in affirmation.

           “We can forage for food! Live off the forest! Where’s your sense of adventure?” Liliann danced through the meadow, grinning at Marcus and Mars.

           “They won’t be able to find us here. The forest is pretty much impossible to navigate. Honestly, I’m surprised we were able to find a break running at random. They’re super rare.” Marcus said, attempting to use logic to sway her. It worked well enough. Mars finally let go of her (most of) worries and joined them in dancing through the open area. 

November 06, 2020 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Crystal Lewis
00:35 Nov 11, 2020

Certainly a very interesting concept here that could be part of a larger story definitely. :) Feel free to read some of my stories :) if you’d like

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.