0 comments

General

Scene 1

The weatherman reported a perfect June day in Boston: Seventy-four degrees. Forty-two percent humidity. Six percent chance of precipitation. You look out the hotel window and add, “Sunny with an occasional fluffy white cloud sailing through the flawless blue sky in a gentle breeze.”

This is your first trip east of the Mississippi River since your divorce, but after losing your prestigious position as a senior executive assistant at a successful corporation in Southern California due to that same nasty divorce, you are ready for a new challenge. A new challenge as far away as possible, without leaving the country. That is how you found yourself interviewing for the job at Masterson & Son in Boston.

As you prepare for your job interview, one thought keeps running through your mind, "I've got this!" Looking in the hotel mirror you smile. Your reflection smiles back. You see the image of a confident young woman in her late-twenties: Five foot seven. One hundred forty-five pounds, give or take. Mid-length, light brown, wavy hair perfectly in place, thanks to your early morning trip to the salon. The saleslady at the upscale boutique on Beacon Street was correct when she insisted the sea-foam green blouse brought out your eyes, while the matching knee-length skirt accented your athletic well-proportioned body. And of course, you even chose your shoes with great care; high heels that somehow balanced sexy and comfortable.

"Why not walk the three blocks," you think to yourself. It is perfect weather. You have plenty of time and the Boston Public Garden is on the way to your destination. You are wearing heels, but at your previous job you probably averaged twenty miles a day in heels, these three blocks would be nothing.

If you choose to walk, go to scene 2

If you choose to reserve an Uber, go to scene 5

Scene 2

Only a block to go, with almost an hour to spare before your interview, you turn left and enter the Public Garden at the famous "Make Way For The Ducklings" statue. You watch as a group of excited children plays leap-frog over the ducks. You count as the youngest girl starts to hop. Mother duck and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight ducklings. The kids' energy is contagious; even though you can't join them hopping over ducks while wearing heels, you are laughing just as much as the youngsters.

After a few minutes, you continue along the walkway, marveling at all the different species of trees; each one labeled with a plaque. Some you have never heard of before, such as Japanese pagoda, maidenhair, katsura, and catalpa; others are quite familiar like American Elm, beech, and birch. As you meander the path running roughly parallel to Beacon Street, you reach the Ether Monument. "Strange Monument,” you think to yourself, but the plaque explains that Massachusetts General Hospital conducted the first public demonstration of ether anesthesia in 1846. You see a crowd gathered around the water, so you follow the path toward the pond, and onto Lagoon Bridge where you check out the Swan Boats. You make a note to yourself that when you get the job in Boston you will be trying these paddle boats. It looks like a fun way to exercise with a friend.

After ten minutes of being near the water, you feel the breeze pick up. Glancing up, you see dark black clouds moving in. They have already reached the edge of the park, so you hurry toward Arlington Street. Even with the impending storm, you stop to admire the statue of George Washington on horseback.

Just across the busy street is your destination, a glass-front 5-story office building with an inviting courtyard in front. While waiting for the light to signal that it is safe to cross, the heavens open up and a cloudburst soaks you to the bone in a matter of seconds.

If you make a run for it, go to scene 3

If you wait for the light, go to scene 4

Scene 3

Without thinking, you break into a run. Screeching breaks and blaring horns let you know that the irritated drivers did not willingly slow down and you are lucky to make it across the city street uninjured. Unfortunately, your luck doesn't hold out. Halfway across the courtyard your heel catches on the uneven cobblestone and breaks, throwing you forward, and causing you to fall onto the uneven surface.

What started out as a perfect day made a one-hundred, eighty-degree turn. Still, you are a professional executive, you stand up, regain as much dignity as possible, and hobble into the building to find a ladies' room in which to freshen up.

You dry off with paper towels, scrunch your now tangled frizzy hair into a ponytail, and dig in your purse for a tube of Super Glue to fix your shoe. Somehow you arrive on the fourth floor on time for your interview. Maybe you can salvage the day and your appointment.

Upon checking in with the receptionist you make small talk, asking her about her Midwestern accent. Turns out you are both originally from small towns in Oklahoma. She pulls a vintage Pashmina wrap out of her drawer, "Here, tie this over your shoulder, it will hide your wet clothes." At your appointed time, on the dot, she gives you an encouraging smile as she escorts you into her boss' office. You plaster a smile on your face as your possible future boss turns from the window to face you. The receptionist starts an introduction, but you know this man, as your ex-husband.

The End

Scene 4

You start laughing uncontrollably, after all you resemble a drowned rat and cannot possibly get any wetter! The street you need to cross is a river at this point, so after the walk signal lights up, you carefully make your way across. On the other sidewalk you slip off your heels and start jumping in the puddles as you make your way across the cobblestone courtyard. The surrounding crowd is split fifty/fifty. Half hurry away as quickly as possible fearing you may have escaped from an asylum, while the other half join in your antics.

Entering the building, you find a ladies room and use the hand-dryer, paper towels, and a comb from your purse to make yourself as presentable as possible. Then you take the elevator up to the fourth floor.

You introduce yourself to the receptionist, Olivia, and the two of you make jokes about each other's Midwestern accent. Turns out you are both from small towns in Oklahoma. "I could reschedule you," she says, "my boss will understand."

"I appreciate the offer, but I have a flight home tonight."

Olivia escorts you into the inner chamber where you see the man who will decide your fate looking out the window.

He turns, checks you out from head to toe, but in a curious, not creepy way, "Did I just see you jumping in puddles and dancing in the rain?"

You start laughing, "Yes sir, you did. After that unexpected downpour, I figured I could not get any wetter and I was not going to let that spoil my day."

"Christine, this is a high-stress job, and yours is an attitude I would love for all my employees to possess. Why don't I have my driver bring you back to your hotel so you can change into dry clothes? He will wait and drive you back so we can discuss the terms of your employment."

The End

Scene 5

The driver arrives in record time. You climb into the back seat and ask him if he could tell you a little about the sights along the way.

"Shoe-ah, but ya know we're only drivin' three blocks."

"Yes, I know."

"Well, Beacon Street runs alongside the Commons and Public Gah-den. I don't know if you noticed the red line along the sidewalk that we just passed, it marks the Freedom Trail. The Commons were originally for grazin' cattle, and an ancient elm on the land was used for public hangings. If you were to enter the Public Gah-den through that entrance you would see the famous Make Way for the Ducklings sculpture."

"Does the Public Garden have so many ducks that it warrants a statue?"

"No, it is a tribute to the author Robert McCloskey who wrote the children's pitcha book with that name, way back in 1941. Are you familiar with the television show, Cheers?"

"Yes, my father loved that show. We watched the DVD's together when I was a kid."

"Keep your eyes open for the famous drinking establishment on your right. The baa opened in the 1960s as the Bull & Finch Pub, and in 1982 the television sitcom used it for the exterior shots. It became more recognized as Cheer’s baa that the owner changed its name to Cheers Beacon Hill in 2002."

Your driver took a left at the lights and announced, "We have arrived."

You find yourself admiring the tasteful courtyard in front of a glass 5-story office building. You pay and thank your driver. He hands you a card, "Here's my card in case you want a tour of the city later." You thank him again and tuck the card into your purse then check your watch to discover you have about thirty minutes to kill.

If you enter the building and wait, go to scene 6

If you sit in the courtyard and wait, go to scene 7

Scene 6

Inside the lobby of the building, you admire the local artwork and photographs adorning the walls; at least until a BOOM shakes the building. You peer outside as the sky becomes as dark as dusk. Observing the ominous clouds roll in, you are thankful that you chose an Uber.

When the skies open up and the downpour begins, the crowd runs for cover. You see a gentleman, most likely in his early 70s, get bumped by a young woman who was more focused on getting out of the rain than the man now sprawled on the cobblestone. Without hesitation, you push against the flow of wet bodies into the torrential rain to get to the injured man. "Sir? Are you alright? Should I call for help?"

He rolled over and sat up, "No. Thank-you. My pride is bruised more than my body."

You offer your arm to help him stand which he willingly accepts. He continues to hold it as he stiffly walks into the building. "Which floor, miss?"

"Fourth, and please call me Christine," you tell him.

"What a coincidence. I am going to see my son on four."

"Are you sure you're not injured? You were walking rather stiffly."

"My dear, I assure you that despite my age, I still bounce. Nothing is broken and I'll let you in on a secret." He signals you to lean closer, even though the two of you are alone in the elevator. Speaking more softly he adds with a grin, "I am wearing a padded knee brace on that leg. I didn't feel a thing."

You exit the elevator together and head to the receptionist's desk. The middle-aged woman behind the desk looks past you and addresses the gentleman who you assisted in the courtyard. "Have a seat Mr. Masterson, your son will be out in a minute or two. His last appointment for this morning didn't show up or have the decency to call."

You reply, "I'm here. I'm sorry. I was delayed five-minutes due to the unexpected downpour."

"I'm sorry Miss Wright. Your appointment was ten-minutes ago and we do not tolerate tardiness here. Plus you look like a drowned rat. We have a reputation to uphold and that means being prepared for a little rain. Now if you will excuse me..."

Mr. Masterson berated her from behind you, "Mrs. O'Brien. That will be quite enough! I will not excuse your behavior," A younger version of Mr Masterson had entered the room seconds before the reprimand. "Hello, son. I hope you don't mind that Miss Wright will be joining us for lunch. She went out of her way to assist an elderly gentleman in the rain.

You turn to him, "That is not necessary, Mr Masterson. I was happy to help."

He replied, "Nonsense my dear. We have to discuss your new position here at Masterson & Son.

The End

Scene 7

You walk around the cobblestone courtyard. Raised flower beds and grassy areas create a park-like atmosphere. One particular garden area catches your attention. It is filled with your favorite flower, orange Tiger Lillies; however, the display features yellow, white, and red variations You've never seen before as well. You choose a bench five feet away facing it. This gives you not only a beautiful view but also the perfect spot to people-watch. As you follow the comings and goings of a multitude of people, you realize you will fit in perfectly here.

Suddenly, a stream of people starts running from behind you towards the door, you turn just as a loud 'BOOM' shakes the windows of the building. Then you hear the rumble and it takes you only a split second to recognize the sound of an incoming line of torrential rain. You spring into action, hustling with the crowd across the courtyard to the protection of the building, bumping an older gentleman as you go. Barely paying attention, you call back, "Sorry, my hair, I just had it styled for my interview and it can't get wet."

You arrive at your interview twenty-minutes early. The receptionist brings you in immediately, "His last candidate didn't show up," she explains.

You and the interviewer, Michael, hit it off right from the start. He is impressed that you did your research on his company to be certain that the senior executive assistant position would be a correct fit for both of you. The interview lasts forty-five minutes and you are sure you are the top candidate. As Michael escorts you out he says, "Miss Wright, thank-you for coming in. You will hear from me soon." He then turns to a gentleman in the office, "Dad, I'm sorry to keep you waiting. Dad! Your trousers are torn. What happened? Did you fall?"

The elderly gentleman I bumped in the courtyard looks me straight in the eye and said, "Oh, Miss Wright, I wouldn't hold my breath for his call." Then he turned to his bewildered son, "Michael, I will not allow you to hire her as my assistant."

The End

June 27, 2020 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.