Contest #230 shortlist ⭐️

20 questions younger me should have asked my mother

Submitted into Contest #230 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list.... view prompt

21 comments

Fiction Funny Drama

1.    If Santa is magic, why does he need a budget?



2.    If human babies come from storks, where do stork babies come from?



3.    When you say, ‘all vegetables,’ qualify exactly what you mean? Follow up queries:

a.    Are vegetables weighted equally? (Two brussels sprouts must be worth at least thirty peas. That’s just rudimental cruciferous equational-modelling mathematics.)

b.    What is your stance on potatoes? Do they count as a vegetable? (Ha, pre-

carbohydrate vilification, a nineties’ loophole!)


4.    Specifically, what are the consequences if I don’t eat all my vegetables? (Beyond not having to eat the gloopy, out of a packet, custard-based pudding that you reminded me every time is fewer than two hundred calories, which I think made it taste worse. Either way, it certainly didn’t help. Yuck, I can’t look at a packet soup now without a small sick burp of associated disgust, it’s a whole aisle in the supermarket that’s dead to me.)


5.    Why did you protest me leaving the house at fifteen in a PVC bodice but did nothing to intervene when I spent three years between eight and eleven wearing nothing but highly flammable shell suits (you literally pushed me toward bonfires and placed lit sparklers in my hand every 5th November)?


6.    Does the reason you got divorced have anything (at all, even remotely) to do with the much younger man with the ponytail, greasy face and funny sounding accent who kept coming to the house when dad was at work and repeatedly tried stroking my dog even when I hissed in his face?


7.    Can you provide me with case evidence (including photographs) of where children who twisted their bellybuttons actually experienced their bottoms falling off?


8.    Can you provide me with case evidence (including photographs) of where children who watched too much TV got actual square eyes?


9.    Given I have irrefutable proof you cannot ‘go blind,’ will you stop pleasure-shaming me?


10. Instead of letting me spend hours crayoning stuff, hitting marbles with other marbles, collecting packs of stickers that frequently include stickers I already own, sketching then etching it away in an endless self-defeating cycle, can you teach me something useful like how to complete mortgage forms, how to do nothing long enough to not smudge my drying nail varnish, how to achieve pay equality, the correct way to answer the question ‘why don’t you have children (and by correct, I mean the way that makes the arsehole who asked it, whose facial features have clenched together like a fist around a gavel, shut the hell up,’ or, what about, how not to go into my overdraft?


11. You said that I had to kiss grandma’s hairy cheek, even though she always smelled like gravy and eucalyptus, because ‘I’d regret it someday when she’s gone’. I don’t. Not even the tiniest little bit. What I do regret is every gross coerced embrace. So, how likely is it, if I say ‘no’, that you’ll smack me, ground me, or send me to bed? (Please answer in a percentage to two decimal places.)


12. Is Jack really my half-brother? Follow-up questions:

a.    Are you sure?

b.    Have you had him tested?

c.    If not, how can you be certain of 12a?

d.    But what if the hospital made a mistake? (I have since watched many, many hours of informative, made for TV, true event inspired programming where this has happened.)

e.    Did you consider adoption?

f.     Not ever? Not even when he was ten and tried lighting my hair on fire because he thought it was funny?

g.    Have you considered the possibility that he is a psychopath?


13. Please refer to 12a, 12b, 12c, and 12f, and then answer 12g again.



14. When did you realise that you’d peaked with me and shouldn’t have had Jack? Follow-up:

a.    Not ever? Not even when he was ten and tried lighting my hair on fire because he thought it was funny?



15. When we moved house with that much older man with the droopy face and creepy eyes, you said my dog (and best friend in the whole wide world) had ‘gone to live on a farm,’ exactly where is this farm and who runs it? (I need specific geographic coordinates and proof of identity, plus evidence of fitness to own the most amazing dog ever from the farmer. And three character references. And, a photograph of Bart, holding a newspaper with today’s date, looking happier than he has ever looked before.)


16. Imagine a psychic proves they’re not fake (e.g. they know you emptied my savings account when I was 13, hid it from me for a year and then told me it was a ‘bank error not in my favour’) and they’re not asking you for money. The psychic says when Jack is twenty-five, he will be convicted for scamming money from six elderly women, do you agree he’s a psychopath? (Also, I am beginning to suspect I was swapped at birth. FYI.)


17. Every time you said you’d been ‘resting’ your eyes, you were one hundred percent asleep, right? (Especially that one time when you drove Aunt Lindy’s car onto her lawn, desecrating her nativity scene, including gnome baby Jesus.)


18. You told me lots of stuff over the years that seemed to be about what men do or don’t like and how to make them happy. Why?

Follow up questions:

a.    Have you done the same with Jack for women? (Strike that, it’s probably what he used to prey on the pensioners.)

b.    Who told you it’s your responsibility?

c.    Can you tell me how to make myself happy instead please? (This seems much more relevant, but maybe you never did learn that for yourself?)


19. There was that day in the summer holidays when I was eight and I tried running away. I hid in the park for four hours, that man I recognised on the local news three months later ran past my swing in just a brown trench coat, then it got dark, a loud rustling noise from the bushes that sounded like a wolf or a bear readying for attack made me panic and I ran home (plus it was teatime and I only had one gobstopper and a pack of chewing gum). You didn’t have a police search for a blonde girl in a bright purple shell suit to call off. You weren’t rejoicing at my safe return, crying ‘never, ever worry me like that again, sweetheart.’ Did you even wonder, ‘where’s my daughter,’ once in two-hundred and forty minutes?


20. That night when you left with the sweaty man who smelled of onions and had a timeshare in Florida, did you know you weren't coming back?

December 29, 2023 17:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
00:56 Jan 08, 2024

Congrats. Learned a lot from this list prompt.

Reply

Claire Marsh
11:15 Jan 11, 2024

Thank you for reading Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
08:17 Jan 16, 2024

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Archana Misra
10:06 Jan 06, 2024

It's a great story! I love the part about the farm's geographical coordinates

Reply

Claire Marsh
13:51 Jan 06, 2024

Thank you Archana! So pleased you enjoyed it and thanks so much for taking time to read and comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
15:00 Jan 05, 2024

Very nice job, Claire. I thought this was really thoughtful and poignant. I like the focus on the way people smell, too: the grandma of gravy and eucalyptus, and the sweaty man of onions. That and all the other little details make this piece really sing. Well done, and consider me impressed.

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:56 Jan 05, 2024

Aw, thank you Nathaniel, very much appreciated and really glad it made you smile. I hope that as I grow older I will smell of gravy too, not so much eucalyptus though...if only we could choose.

Reply

Nathaniel Miller
17:04 Jan 05, 2024

Ha! Likewise... and congrats on the shortlist! It was deserved.

Reply

Claire Marsh
13:53 Jan 06, 2024

Thanks! I was a tad shocked!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
07:37 Jan 03, 2024

This was breathtaking. I laughed; I was saddened. You really have a gift of drawing out emotions from your readers. Great response to the prompt.

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:59 Jan 03, 2024

Wow, thank you Stella - what a lovely comment, I'm going to come back and read this every time I get pangs of impostor syndrome. Thank you again!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:49 Jan 04, 2024

You're very welcome! You did such a great job.

Reply

Claire Marsh
15:29 Jan 04, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
23:14 Jan 02, 2024

What a curious childhood! I liked the questions about her bottom following off and eyes turning into square eyes ;) The smells of the different people is so spot on, when I was little I described people by how they smelled too- so strange. Good luck in the contest! Thanks

Reply

Claire Marsh
16:58 Jan 03, 2024

Hi Marty, thank you for reading and commenting. It's funny what you remember most from childhood isn't it! Smells, silly stuff you're told. Had a lot of fun writing the bits you liked :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felipe Orlans
22:51 Dec 29, 2023

Strange format, a story in list form. But you nailed it. Lovely story.

Reply

Claire Marsh
15:12 Dec 31, 2023

Thanks Felipe, so pleased you enjoyed it and yes, a very different way of thinking about approaching a story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Tulton
21:08 Dec 29, 2023

Nice one, enjoyed it.

Reply

Claire Marsh
15:12 Dec 31, 2023

Cheers so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
18:09 Dec 29, 2023

Funny and poignant, well done!

Reply

Claire Marsh
18:11 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you Wendy, really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed it. A bit strange writing a story in list format, but I enjoyed the challenge immensely!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.