Beyond the Brushstrokes

Submitted into Contest #239 in response to: Write a story about an artist whose work has magical properties.... view prompt

39 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Fiction

Leonard swirls the bristles around in the cerulean mixing it on the palette with the moss green. The hues could be peacock feathers, but today he’s using them to paint the lake. Thin veins of silver add pockets of depth. The water awakens beneath his brush, sending ripples to the shoreline. Nearby a little girl, holding pink cotton candy twisted around a paper cone, walks down the path and out of the painting.


“Oh my,” says Leonard only half-surprised at the child with sticky hands now standing in the middle of his studio, the smell of burnt sugar permeating the room. “I should have given you parents so you don’t wander off.”


The girl pulls off a glob of the spun sugar, putting it in her mouth and licking her fingers. “That would be nice,” she replies. “Could you also give me a baby sister while you’re at it? It gets lonely sometimes with just me and Mama and Papa at home.”


“Consider it done,” says Leonard picking the child up by the waist and plopping her back in his painting. He hastily sketches her parents. The father wipes down the little girl’s chubby fingers while her mother peers into a baby carriage. The little girl turns to Leonard and waves goodbye as the family makes their way down the walkway.


With the smell of cotton candy receding, a floral fragrance wafts from the canvas that Leonard recognizes as lilies of the valley. This draws his attention to a young woman by the water’s edge in a billowy white dress, gingerly dipping her toes in the lake. Once acclimated to the chill, she stretches both legs out above the water and slowly lowers them, wetting the edge of her dress. After a few minutes she kicks up a spray, smiling as the droplets splash her face like spray from a fountain.


The woman picks up her book and puts it in her canoe. She glides the canoe into the lake and deftly draws the paddle down the left side, letting the water drip off the oar, before switching sides and pulling the paddle through the water on the opposite side. As she reaches the far end, a young man spies her gliding across the lake like a swan, her long white neck shimmering below her pale skin. He’ll fall in love with her, Leonard thinks, planning the rest of the painting. But not today.


Today the would-be lovers don’t meet. That will happen later. The smitten young man tosses a ball for his drooling golden retriever who chases after it with abandon, while his gaze strays to the woman paddling the canoe.


The following weekend at the lake, the dog pulls on the lead as the man fights to reign him in. The man chastises the dog with threats of obedience school which neither master nor man take seriously. The man unhitches his leash, patting his head. “Good boy,” he says.


Further down the dirt path, the woman ambles to the boat house. A dog barks, piercing the air. She braces herself for the inevitable greeting. Her body tenses instinctively, a lifetime of fear rising to the surface. Thundering footsteps pound the dirt, growing louder by the second. As Alicia braces herself for the worst, a blur of fur rockets past her. The man shakes his head as the dog disappears from view.


“Don’t mind him. He’s as playful as they come.”


“No, it’s me,” she admits. “I’ve always been terrified of dogs. I was bitten when I was a child.”


“I’m so sorry. Let me get him on the lease.”                


“It’s alright. I’m getting my—”


“Canoe?”


The woman cocks her head and appraises the man like a jewel she’s considering purchasing. “Yes. How did you know?”


“I saw you paddling on the lake.”


The woman feels her a warm blush creep up the sides of her face.


“I’d better go find that goofy dog of mine before he terrorizes anyone else.”


After they part, the man turns around and shouts “Your name?”


“Alicia.”


Oscar repeats the name to himself, thinking that it would be nice to have some female companionship to fill the void that the dog doesn’t.


The figures in the painting move again. Alicia and Oscar picnic under a grove of chestnut trees. The two have been meeting regularly, always at Leonard’s behest, but Alicia can only really relax when Oscar leaves his dog home. In the shade of the trees, Alicia is both hidden and exposed.


Leonard paints Alicia with butterflies coming out of her stomach and chest when she’s with Oscar, but it feels forced so he takes his brush and paints over them. A pentimento of emotions have been covered up, but love is not one of them. Leonard interprets Alica’s emotions, encouraging her to express her true self. He doesn’t force his brush to mold her to his whims. Instead, he observes and captures what she chooses to reveal.


Leonard turned to painting after his fiance left him. He populates his canvasses with idyllic settings and congenial people, giving him a sense of control that eludes him in real life. In the fading light of the evening in his studio, Leonard wonders if his fiance had been more like Alicia if the relationship would have worked our.


For Oscar, Alicia is like a caramel swirl in his coffee, leaving a lingering sweetness even after she’s gone. Leonard stretches his arm out towards the canvas. He wants to help Oscar out, let Alicia know how much he cares for her. He dabs his silk brush in the flesh-colored paint, outlining Oscar’s hand reaching out for Alicia’s. When it finally rests on hers, she does not wrap her fingers around his, nor does she pull her hand away.


A few weeks later, Leonard is putting his finishing touches on the painting. Painting Alicia over and over again has caused him to fall in love with her, just as Oscar has. But it is time to move on to a new canvas, so Leonard gleans one last effort to reunite Oscar and Alicia, squeezing a tube of crimson onto his mixing tray for Alicia’s shift.


When Leonard completes her frock, she looks up at him and smiles.


“You always exercise such care when you design my clothes. They make me feel beautiful, unafraid.”


Alicia is radiant. “I paint what I see. So, if you feel beautiful, that is what you have shown me and it has very little to do with your clothing. My greatest regret is not being able to do you justice.”


“On the contrary, your gift is that you’re able to capture my true essence.”


Satisfied, Leonard conjures Alicia finally moving on with Oscar. She turns her head to see Oscar coming towards her. Everything is balanced, the composition works and the two will finally engage in their happily-ever-after.


Oscar approaches, whistling nonchalantly. Alicia's chest is pounding, rising in her throat with her mounting panic. He’s brought the dog. Every instinct screams at her to run, but her body remains frozen. Realizing his mistake Leonard, wipes over Oscar and the dog with one clean stroke as he tries to protect her. He has revived her fear, obliterated Alicia’s chance at love.


“I’m so sorry,” he says. “That was rash of me. I’m afraid I’ve ruined everything for you.”


Alicia makes a gesture he takes to mean both yes and no. For Alicia, Leonard is her hero. He cares for her. He makes her feel safe. When he looks at her, she feels seen. He is able to bring out the very best in her and that is what she values in herself, in him.


Alicia looks up at Leonard with both love and longing. As she stretches her arm, her hand extends beyond the canvass so it is almost touching Leonard.


Leonard’s eyes widen. Finally, he reaches down, clasps Alicia’s hand pulling her out of the canvass and into his life.





March 01, 2024 23:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Annie Persson
10:34 Mar 04, 2024

I love how the characters in the painting come to life, and how he's finally found Alicia's perfect match. Lovely! :)

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:10 Mar 05, 2024

Thank you Annie for sharing your thoughts with me and reading the story. Much appreciated.

Reply

Annie Persson
09:23 Mar 06, 2024

👍 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:50 Apr 05, 2024

What a lovely, heart-warming story. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
L J
15:38 Mar 26, 2024

Wally, thank you for taking time to read my story: your comments were awesome. I may be turning it into a novel. okay, now. It is said a picture is worth a thousand words. As I read your painting, I loved your use of color and smells ( the cotton candy, the flowers). I took the words away and pictured this story as a moving painting: each color created a world. The colors were flowing, beautiful and happy. The characters were created from color, not words. That is remarkable and I feel honored to have been able to know this happy world. Lo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karla S. Bryant
04:07 Mar 17, 2024

Beautifully written, wonderful visualizations! Some lines popped off the page like showstoppers on stage: "...appraises the man like a jewel she’s considering purchasing."'; "For Oscar, Alicia is like a caramel swirl in his coffee, leaving a lingering sweetness even after she’s gone." And what an unexpected, yet completely satisfying ending. You landed it. It was a pleasure to read "Beyond the Brushstrokes"!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Kimball
14:06 Mar 12, 2024

A real twist on Oscar Wilde, I dare say. Makes me think there's a deeper meaning here, not just painting events in the lives of characters in a painting, but possibly events in the MC's own life. Maybe the girl is actually appears as his daughter in real life? Maybe the characters in the painting drive their own narrative, which the artist then experiences in his own life. He paints a young girl and a dog and then returns home to find he has a daughter and a new dog. The MC "paints" his own life. Interesting concept Wally! Enjoyable read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:59 Mar 11, 2024

Lovely! The assumption 'Art creates life' is not an assumption at all. You proved it;

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:10 Mar 10, 2024

Very much enjoyed your ending!

Reply

Show 0 replies
JP G
07:39 Mar 10, 2024

I loved this story. The artist tries to create a happily ever after but ends up getting his own with a perfect twist in the end. Great job! Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
16:07 Mar 09, 2024

Incredible! I couldn’t stop reading. I don’t think I’ll ever again look at a painting with people in it without thinking about the story behind each of them. Leonard may me a magical artist, but you, Wally are a magical writer. This is brilliant!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Lambert
21:09 Mar 07, 2024

I enjoyed your wonderful story Wally… oh if we all could paint the canvas of our life the way we wanted!

Reply

Viga Boland
16:09 Mar 09, 2024

Nice to see you commenting here Linda. This is the way to have other Reedsy writers connect with you and your stories. Keep it up 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
20:19 Mar 09, 2024

If only..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Wendy M
16:24 Mar 06, 2024

What a lush and adorable story! A joy to read and totally on brief, well done

Reply

Wally Schmidt
05:36 Mar 07, 2024

Thank you Wendy. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
05:18 Mar 06, 2024

You took bringing characters in a painting to life to a whole new level. Your use of imagery is lovely, and I love the way each painting feels like a movie. We even get the happy ending. Very creative and well done!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
20:20 Mar 09, 2024

Definately wanted the happy ending on this one. Thanks for reading and commenting. Hope you'll check out my other stories and let me know what you think

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:39 Mar 06, 2024

Wonderful. Loved the opening where he put the little girl back in the painting. Just knew he was gonna get the girl (the big one) in the end. Wonderful use of color and painting techniques. :-)

Reply

Wally Schmidt
20:23 Mar 09, 2024

Well how about that?! You could have saved me a lot of time if you had told me how this story ended. As it is, I let my characters decide at some point where they want their stories to go, and in this one, Leonard was taking his sweet time before he let me know. 😂

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:35 Mar 09, 2024

LOL. some characters are more tractable than other. sort of like kids, I imagine. ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Cantwell
16:17 Mar 05, 2024

Very creative. What a great use of the prompt and the continued references to color, for the painter, were well placed.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:02 Mar 05, 2024

Thanks for reading David!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:10 Mar 05, 2024

Such a brilliant take on the classic "artist creates their dream partner" trope. The imagery is absolutely lovely. It made me plunge into the story. Phenomenal job !

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:03 Mar 05, 2024

I don't paint, but I think all writers create characters they want to hang out with-or at least are intrigued by- so I figured it would be the same thing for painters. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
02:44 Mar 05, 2024

What a fun story! Very clever take on the prompt! I love how Leonard brings Alicia out of the painting at the end :)

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:05 Mar 05, 2024

There were a lot of ways this could have ended, but I wanted Leonard to also be a tad surprised by the ending, so thanks for the feedback on the ending. I'm a sucker for happy ones.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
20:35 Mar 04, 2024

Adorable images. The brush strokes feel like they are coming off the page and being converted into writing. Telling a story through a painting. How true. I also liked the part about how the artist feels about painting - that it gives him a sense of control after an abandoned relationship. There is an ethereal quality to this. I love painting figures of people myself (though I haven’t done it recently) making this feel even more real. I think painting - though a different form of expression - is closely allied to writing. Your story fitted ...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:07 Mar 05, 2024

I wish I could paint! And sing. But as it is, my creative endeavors are limited to writing and cooking. But you should dig out those brushes, Helen, if you have any inkling at all.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:12 Mar 06, 2024

If your cooking is anything like your writing, there’ll be plenty to savour! It’s going to sound odd, but I struggle to do both. It’s either one or the other. For the last few years, it’s been writing. Maybe one day.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
16:11 Mar 06, 2024

Isn't that interesting. My son was quite the artist when he was small, but gave it up as he transitioned to other interests. The pediatrician told me that once kids start writing a lot of them give up art; like the brain can't handle multiple creative efforts at the same time. I wonder about that sometimes because I once heard a musician say that musicians can't dance. Of course there are tons of examples where that is not true, but still...

Reply

Helen A Smith
16:47 Mar 06, 2024

That is interesting about your son. Sorry, predictive text came out wrong. Had to change it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristina Aziz
19:29 Mar 04, 2024

LOVE the ending! And the build up to it was so great!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:08 Mar 05, 2024

Thank you Kristina. Toyed with different endings but this is the one that made my heart happy. Glad you liked it too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
17:03 Mar 04, 2024

A great Pygmalion and Galatea story of an arist's creation come to life. Grea descriptions- I loved this line- '...Alicia is like a caramel swirl in his coffee, leaving a lingering sweetness even after she’s gone.' Thanks !

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:10 Mar 05, 2024

Thanks Marty. I kept having Oscar tell Alicia he was stuck on her like a caramel to the roof of his mouth. Obviously that wasn't going to work so I settled on a caramel swirl. Not perfect, but hopefully an improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:13 Mar 02, 2024

Lovely loving brushstrokes. So all it takes is painting your ideal and...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
23:11 Mar 05, 2024

In an alternate universe somewhere, I really hope it works like this Mary. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.