1 comment

American Christmas Friendship

Cody pushes his makeshift wooden sled from when he and his Ben from when they both were kids. "Oh come on Ben where are you? I would love to have your help right about now,but no you're doing god knows what else. While I'm doing all the work." Cody said frustratingly. Cody finally makes it to the top of the hill where he has a good view of the neighborhood has he waits for Ben.

After a while Ben finally makes his way up the hill, Cody notices him trying to make his way up. "Oh look what the cat dragged in. You finally decided to come. If you didn't come sooner I probably gotten hyperthermia or something." Cody said annoyed. Ben tries to say something in response but before he could he slips and falls on his face. He gets up wiping off the snow from his face. "Okay okay I know I'm late but I'm here now aren't I? So you ready to go this hill just like old times?" Ben responds still wiping snow off him.

Cody stands up from the snow taking another look of the snow covered neighborhood. "Hehe yeah just like old times. Hey made many trips up this old hill. Hey remember the one time when we crashed into Mr.Jenkins Christmas decorations?" Cody asks funny to himself. Ben responds also laughing to himself, "Hehehe honestly how I'm supposed to forget? I'm the one who got hurt from that. Then again those decorations got the worst of it." The two laugh remembering that little memory.

"Hahaha well yeah we were going so fast that you went through the old guy's decorations. You practically destroyed Rudolph and went through the snowman inflatable. I'm honestly surprised that you didn't get any broken bones." Cody says.

"You're surprised? I'm surprised that you didn't get hurt. I guess that what I get for not holding on and not noticing that rock that sent me flying." Ben says.

"I did tell you to hold on, but no you want to show off and not use your hands. If I'm correct didn't you try and fail to impress a girl? I consider that my early Christmas present. Anyways let's see if this old thing can still go. Oh before I forget to tell you, I checked for checked for rocks and make sure you hold on this time." Cody tells Ben.

" Ok what if I did try to impress someone what of it? Maybe this time you're the one that's sent flying and I can laugh my butt off when that happens. Then I can consider that my early Christmas present. Let's do this!!" Ben responds.

They both squeeze in the old sled, a bit of a tight squeeze but they managed. "Why didn't we get a bigger sled?" Ben asks. Cody responds annoyed, "Well you did specifically asked for us to use this one. Now shut up and take us forward, you're the one in front."

Ben moves the both of them forward and they go down the hill fast. It's not long until they reach the bottom but they don't stop and end crashing into a tree.

Cody slowly gets up from the crash," Ok last time I'm allowing you to take control of the sled. Are you alright or I'm I going to have to get your mom?" Ben pops his head out the snow gets up, " No I'm fine. That could've gone better, but on the bright side we didn't get seriously hurt from it."

Cody just looks at his friends, sighs in relief, and wipes the snow off himself, " Well you owe me a new sled. Sense it's now in pieces." Ben looks at the pieces of the sled on the ground and looks at Cody, " Well this is your chance to get a new one. So it's an early Christmas present. Hey race you to your house." Ben runs off to Cody's house.

"Hey jerk get back here!! Ben!! Wait til I get my hands on you!" Cody chases Ben to his house.

Ben makes to Cody's house unscathed from Cody's wrath and waits for him at his front door.

" I hate you, you know that. Like my god it can't be described how much." Cody tells Ben frustrated.

"No. No you don't anyways wait here I do have something for you." Ben responds and goes inside Cody's house.

"Ben what did you put in my house?! I swear it's a sock puppet you made to apologize to me. The last time you used that it didn't work." Cody tells Ben more annoyed than before.

Ben comes out with a bigger and well made sled that was hidden in Cody's house. Cody sees this and is surprised, " Is that for me? Wait a minute. You planned for us to crash into the tree destroying my old sled didn't you?"

Ben places the new sled on the ground next to Cody and gives his response, "Maybe I did. If I did then I would be considered a genius, but yeah I did. Merry Christmas bud. Also it's bigger than the last one no longer are we going to feel cramped while riding. No need to thank me or maybe you should I don't know you decide."

Cody takes the new sled and stands up to thank Ben, " Thanks man. I really appreciate it. The next time we go sledding I'm the one in front. I'm not taking chances with you in front. Now are we allowed to use it or not?"

"First of all, I'm not that bad at steering a sled. Remember I crashed on purpose. Second of all, about time you said so. Let's do this! Race you to the top." Ben said then runs back to the hill to sled down. Cody follows his old friend up the hill to hopefully this time not crash into something, " Wait up man and if you fall on your face again I'm sledding without you."

The end.

January 20, 2021 04:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Izzy Bavaro
23:03 Jan 28, 2021

Hey, I'm from the critic circle! I just wanted to say that I like your use of dialogue between the characters and I think this story is very lighthearted, funny, and really sweet. I did notice a lot of grammar mistakes that you can easily fix with a once over proofread, though. There's also a lot of words I think you meant to type in that are missing from the submission too, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little editing. Keep writing! I like the characters and the stories between them that you created a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.