17 comments

Fantasy Romance Teens & Young Adult

       I can’t sleep tonight. Tossing and turning out of my half-dream, I eventually become aware that Dimitri’s not beside me. I sigh: I told him to try to get some sleep. Then again, I can’t really blame him. Kicking my feet into slippers in the dark, I fumble downstairs. I find him sitting at the kitchen table in the dark: eyes closed, chin propped up in his hands, face buried under flat bangs that drape limply over his cheekbones.

            “Hey,” I say quietly, flipping on one light and coming up to him. “Hey, Dima. Are you alright?” Stupid question, but what else can I say?

            He looks up and his eyes are black. Beautiful black, like two onyx gems, glittering with tears, pained and miserable. His cheeks are hollow and his lips are set in a fine line. Haunted, frightened, he is a shadow of himself.

            Dimitri shakes his head. “No, I’m not.”

            I sigh, feeling helpless, and sit down next to him, noticing the Book he guards between his arms. “Oh, Dima, you’re going to drive yourself insane reading that.” 

            “Ha, too late,” he chuckles hardly. “Listen to this: After finishing a degree in Fine Arts from the Harrison Art School, Dimitri will start an internship with the Regional Gallery at the age of 24. In what universe do I give up a Ph.D. program to work at an art gallery?”

            “You are a good artist,” I argue. “It’s not a totally unreasonable career path.”

            He shakes his head with a sigh. “I love art as a hobby, but not enough to make it my job. Or like this: he will move to the west coast of LaSalle Province, where he will live most of his life. I can’t imagine living that far away from Delilah; I don’t want to be the kind of brother who just comes around for the holidays or occasional birthdays.”

            “You won’t be,” I tell him firmly. “Dima, this doesn’t have to mean anything unless you want it, unless you choose it.” 

            “The only things I want are what I can’t choose,” he reminds me. 

            He was never supposed to see his Book. Not in the sense that he can’t physically see it. He can; he’s psychic so that means that unlike regular humans, he can actually read his Book of Destiny, both of them. In one version is his life as psychic, open to any and all choices he could make, though as we read through it now, pretty unreasonable and unlikely, yet predicted nevertheless. The other version is his storyline if he weren’t psychic. Everything in that version is prohibited to him, like forbidden fruit. It includes me. Together, we’ve chosen to be with each other anyway, but Destiny still finds ways to reprimand him about it. Dimitri had sworn off reading either Book, but when he received that note from his father, he was forced to confront what his life might actually have to look like in the near future. 

            “Dimitri’s job in the Secret Library will entail editing last names R-W and maintaining the crystal wards; this is the post he will hold for all of eternity,” he reads softly, digging a hand into his thick, curly hair.

“Okay, stop,” I gently shut his Book and pull it away from him, hoping to draw its negative energy away from him with it. “Pretend you can’t read it,” I say softer. “Pretend it’s your sketchbook.”

            “It is my sketchbook,” he points out heavily. Oh, to add insult to injury, Destiny also printed Dimitri’s Book into his sketchbook, his most prized possession. “For years, all I’ve seen are blank pages. Blank pages where I drew what I wanted and wrote what I wanted and it was mine: why couldn’t it have just stayed that way? Now it’s tainted, it’s tampered, its – twisted. It’s supposed to be my life, it is my life technically, more than my Book if I weren’t psychic… but I don’t recognize it. This isn’t me, and this isn’t who I want Destiny to force me to be; I want such different things.” He buries his head in his arms, and I feel useless. My heart breaks for him, and I reach out to embrace him but pull back when I touch him.

            “Dimitri, you’re so cold. You’re freezing down here in just your pajamas. I’ll make us a cup of hot tea; it’ll warm you right up.”

            “Katya, it doesn’t matter,” he stops me. “Whether I’m hot or cold, hungry or thirsty: it doesn’t matter. It’s not like any of it can hurt me. Besides myself. I’m doomed to destroy myself.”

            “No, you’re not,” I sit back down next to him and take his cold hands in mine. “I won’t let you.” 

            “What if it’s not up to you?” he asks quietly.

            “Well, I’m certainly not going to let it be up to Destiny. Now decide: do you want black tea or green tea? It’s not like either of us are getting any sleep so don’t worry about the caffeine.” I keep talking to keep him distracted (honestly, maybe myself too), bustling around the kitchen looking for our mugs and setting the kettle to a boil. I’m aware of him gazing after me, black eyes heavy and saturated. “Do you want any lemon or honey in your tea? I think there’s still some honey at the bottom of the jar –”

            “You’re not in it,” he whispers the words I didn’t know I’ve been dreading. If I were in this Book, and I know I’m already pre-destined as his soulmate in the other version, then there would be no doubt in the universe that Dimitri and I are made for each other. And even though it shouldn’t matter, even though I know we fell in love despite it being written against us, somehow hearing him say that crushes me a little.

            “Well,” I take a deep breath to myself. “We already assumed that-”

            “Juliet is,” he says in disbelief. 

The façade I’ve been putting on crumbles completely and I set the mug down on the countertop loudly. “What?”

Juliet is Dimitri’s ex, a girl he briefly dated before we started going out. They were more like best friends than a couple though, and the three of us are actually all good friends with each other. Still, that does not mean I enjoy hearing her name as his match in his Book of Destiny. 

“Apparently, we go to the same art school and-”

“I don’t need to hear it,” I stomp over angrily, ripping the Book out of his hands and flinging it across the room. He seems to visibly flinch when it slams hard against the floor. 

“Katya, you’re the one who just said it doesn’t mean anything,” he starts, reaching out to me, but I slip out of his grasp.

“Like hell it doesn’t,” I fume. “I’m supposed to be happy to hear your ex’s name in your Book?”

“But I choose you.”

“So what? What good is it that you choose me when you’re not allowed to choose me? You’re the one who just said the only things you want are what you can’t choose,” I throw back in his face, and I know I pushed too far when I see his face drain of what little color it already had. 

“Katya, I promise you, I am going to do everything I can to fight Destiny on this. I will do everything in my power to fight for you, for us. I can handle everything else: working in a gallery, living away from Delilah, even spending eternity holed up in the Secret Library. But I can’t handle not being with you,” he pleads, his eyes wide and honey brown. 

I sigh, knowing he means every word of it. “I know. Actually, I know that, and I’m not actually worried about Juliet or anyone else for that matter. But I am worried about you, because I know how much you don’t want this and how much pain I can cause you in this, and that’s what scares me: that you’re stuck in this mess because of me.”

            “Funny,” Dimitri strokes my cheek, almost a perceptible smile twitching on his lips. “I was thinking the exact same thing about you.” 

            “I guess that as long as we’re in this mess together, we’ll be okay.”

            Dimitri’s smile finally makes its way to the surface and he kisses me softly. “Go make the tea; I have to do one more thing to make it official.”

            “What?”

            “Just wait a moment,” he raises an eyebrow and studies my profile intently. 

            As I pour the tea, I notice he’s picked up his Book and a pen, and then I see that he’s drawn me into the pages.

            “If this is my Book of Destiny,” he says, “that means that everything in it is supposed to come true. Now, you’re in it, and Destiny will have to rip the page out in order to get you out of it.”

            “Hmm,” I grin mischievously. “How convenient you drew me on the page that mentions you getting with Juliet.”

            Dimitri smirks and rolls his eyes. They are still haunted and sleepless, but there’s a green light of hope returned to them knowing that I’m with him on this, that I’m his someone to stay, that as long as there’s the two of us, his Book is still unwritten because we can still write it together. It may not be in the next chapter or two, but eventually we can get to our happily ever after, this I need to believe in. 

July 21, 2024 06:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Elton James
04:00 Aug 01, 2024

I am on the hook to find out what happens next. If Dimitri is handling last names R-W, what's his last name and who is handling him? Is there a deal to be done? How does Destiny deal with reluctant librarians? What does Juliet think about all this? I have to know!

Reply

Martha Kowalski
20:50 Aug 01, 2024

Thank you, Elton - appreciate you reading! All good questions ... this is the part where I have to say to check out the book version of this story in my bio 😄 I've changed it a bit for the prompts so maybe I can keep this one going in a future prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
23:45 Jul 25, 2024

If D's work In the library is to update R-W, doesn't that mean that people - at least to some extent - have freedom to choose? Like first one a great premise and wel written. Can't wait to see what else happens. (Which is what life is, right?)

Reply

Martha Kowalski
16:04 Jul 26, 2024

Ah that's a good point, Trudy! There's some backstory there I couldn't include because of word limits and how I remade this particular scene ... but it makes you wonder if the little choices you make even end up changing your eventual destiny, or is it all in vain? Definitely deeper questions than I intended for just this one story, but yeah, opens the door for more to come from these MCs! The rest of the questions are answered in my full book of this story (*insert shameless bit of self-promotion hahah :D) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:09 Jul 26, 2024

Be shameless. Who else will toot your horn. 🎷

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:27 Jul 24, 2024

I don't believe in destiny. Nice story.

Reply

Martha Kowalski
02:55 Jul 25, 2024

Thanks for the read and comment, Darvico! (not 100% which way I believe in or not...but indeed serves as a good prompt)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
13:50 Jul 23, 2024

I like the engagement with Destiny/choice. It seems Destiny does give a choice between two options, but the characters want even more freedom. Fascinating to think of the character reading about future choices/consequences and not believing he would do what he sees predicted, much as we sometimes look at our own past and regret/can't believe we made certain decisions. Makes you wonder if the destiny in his book is created by an extrinsic force removing free will, or if it is just a record of the choices he will make, even if he doesn't belie...

Reply

Martha Kowalski
01:00 Jul 24, 2024

That's incredibly insightful, thank you for that RJ! Definitely some food for thought about regret of the past and uncertainty for the future - does a choice seem appealing to us only when we know we can't make it? Would we regret it later, or would we live in "what-if" if we let it pass by? For context, these characters are also taken from my novel, which exactly dives into some of those insights, but I felt like re-vamping the plot for this week's prompt since it seemed to match so nicely to it. Anyways, thanks much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
03:12 Jul 22, 2024

Fascinating look at love and destiny. I really hope their love survives. Well done!

Reply

Martha Kowalski
04:44 Jul 22, 2024

Thanks for reading, Karen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:58 Jul 21, 2024

We are rooting for them💕 Thanks for liking my 'Where's the Elephant '.

Reply

Martha Kowalski
06:45 Jul 22, 2024

Thanks for the read and comment, Mary! Loved your elephant :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
15:44 Jul 21, 2024

The emotional depth of Dimitri and Katya’s relationship is truly moving. I love how they fight for their love against all odds. Great job!

Reply

Martha Kowalski
19:02 Jul 21, 2024

Thanks for the like and follow, Jim! Yes, Katya and Dimitri are my tried and true characters

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:56 Jul 21, 2024

Oooh, love this one. Martha ! I love the idea of the two of them fighting destiny to be together. Great flow to this too !

Reply

Martha Kowalski
15:28 Jul 21, 2024

Thanks Alexis! I've been a bit busy lately so was glad to get a prompt I could fall back on my most reliable characters :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.