5 comments

Fantasy

Warm.

That was the only thing I could think about as the sun shined on my form. The sky changed colors again, from Blue to a Bluish Peach color.

"How's it hanging bro?" This damn idiot wants to give me a heart attack doesn't he? "Don't say stuff like that!" I say, guilt clear in my voice. He floats down looking confused. "Why?....oh wait" This idiot.

I remember clearly when Mom told me she couldn't find my brother anywhere in the house and his room door was locked. I also remember feeling super guilty when I saw him again, but he wasn't completely there, I remember crying alot and apologizing for not being a good big brother, for not protecting him.

His arms wrapped around me in a ghostly hug. "It's okay, it wasn't your fault" He whispered, wiping away the tears I didn't notice until now. "How could it not be okay! I should have noticed how much pain you were in back then! I should have noticed the dried tears on your cheeks when you came home after school! I should have done something about it damn it! Now you're gone, Leo!" I yelled, pulling away from him and trying to wipe away the tears that kept falling out of my green eyes, his own blue and green ones looking at me sadly. "It wasn't your fault, come on" He took my hand, leading me to a wooden table where teacups and cakes were waiting for us.

"I thought I told you to forget that, I'm here now aren't I?, not alive but still here" He said. "I-I know" I stuttered. "Im-" He cuts me off pouting. "Nananana! I can't hear you!" He yells, covering his ears. "Come on lets enjoy the cakes Alex! I only have a few hours left before I need to go back to the spirit realm and you back home, mom will worry" He pouts.

"Alright lets go" I said in defeat letting him drag me to the table. Sitting down and talking about what ever came to mind, he spoke about his duty as a guardian spirit, he never told me who he guarded but it was funny listening to his stories about his 'host', as I call them, he told me about all the trouble he has to go through to make sure his host is healthy and out of danger and in return I told him about how mom and dad are coping and how school's going for me, I also told him about how our childhood friend is coping.

Soon our little get together ended by the setting of the sun. My phone dinged, a message popped up from Mom, then Dad. I opened one up 'Where are you' Mom's read. 'Where are you, your mother is worried' Dad's read. Another message from Mom popped up. 'Are you okay? Are you hurt?' I looked over at my brother, he looked back, a sad smile playing on his lips. "It's time for me and you to go, big brother" He said, floating towards me. He stopped before me and looked up to the sky, the colors blended from Red to Pink to Blue and Purple. "Its beautiful here," He whispered. "The spirit realm doesn't have a sky that changes colors often" He looked at me and hugged me tightly. "Same time on Wednesday" He said before he disappeared in a bright light.

"Yeah" I said quietly, turning around and walking home, trying to ignore the salty tears running down my cheeks.

On Wednesday, I waited for him to show up. He never did. I waited the next day, he never showed up. I began to lose hope on him ever coming back to meet me. "Liar" I said, turning around and walking back home.

"Big brother!" I heard a familiar voice scream. I turned around and gasped, tears flooding my eyes. I began to run towards him, his arms opened to allow me to crash in to his small frame, his warm small frame. "You're alive! I can feel your heartbeat! Wha- how?" I yelled at him, pulling away and grabbing his face with my hands, looking into his eyes. He leaned into my palms, closing his eyes. "God gave me another chance to live" He said, warm tears falling from his eyes and onto my palms. "I should have know he was planning something when he told me to watch over you" He laughed, oh how I missed that laugh. "I missed you, big brother!" He said, giving me a closed eyes smile, before pushing his head to my chest and giving me a hug. His tiny body shook with each shaky breath he took and each sob he released.

"l missed you too, so much" I said, giving a wet laugh. "I missed seeing you in the morning, I missed you dancing with Mom late at night when she couldn't sleep, I missed seeing you skating on the ice, I missed seeing you compete, I missed seeing you play chess with Dad when he was stressed out, I missed seeing you cheering for me at my baseball game. Damn it! I missed seeing you smile at dumb, cute things," I said burying my face into his blonde hair. "I missed you so much" I felt him wrap his arms around me tightly, sobs increasing. "I missed you too, big brother" He yelled, his breath hitching before he sobbed again, I felt a wet spot form against my school uniform but ignored it in favor of pulling him closer to me.

I let out a wet laugh before pulling away slightly and taking out a light blue handkerchief and wiping his tears away. "Blow" I said putting the handkerchief over his nose and squeezing lightly. He did so and pulled away. "Isn't this my handkerchief?" He asked, taking the handkerchief in his tiny hands and looking at it, running his tiny finger over the engraved `L´. "Ha, it is! You kept it?" He said giving me a tiny smile. He crashed into my chest again. "I love you big brother" I heard him mumble.

A smile made it's way to my lips.

"I love you too stupid ghost"

March 13, 2020 19:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Roland Aucoin
01:36 Mar 20, 2020

unexpected storyline; I liked it. unexpected twist; odd, but I liked it.

Reply

Cassie Duke
18:44 Mar 22, 2020

Thanks for the like & comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ola Hotchpotch
12:23 Mar 16, 2020

Ha. Sibling rivalry carried on even after death ?

Reply

Cassie Duke
20:06 Mar 26, 2020

What do you mean?

Reply

Ola Hotchpotch
16:21 Mar 29, 2020

The dialogues between ghost and perhaps host. It's okay it was not your fault...then how could it not* be okay you introduce the ghost as brother

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.