0 comments

Bedtime Coming of Age Drama

Who is she? She cannot tell a lie. She is red. She is alive. That's the only truth she can be sure of. That's all she knows because if she cannot tell a lie, she is very gullible. She falls for whatever people tell her about herself. Because herself she does not know. This leads to many lies. Little ones, because she cant tell what truth is.

So the story goes. An honest girl walked into a bar and only got out due to the diligence of her bestfriend, who she loved very much and planned to escape to ever after with. This honest girl had golden hair and dangerous curves. She had the heart of a pirate and the soul of a dove. This is the truth. Her bestfriend was a trickser as old as time. Her only fault was that she could narry utter a word, and came across expressive nonetheless. This was much to the demise of her enemies.

So the story of the honest woman and the trickster man is as old as time, and one that tends to strike the heartstrings of all involved.

The true story is one of comraderie and love.

Little Dixie never learned how to speak, her grandmother insisted she did it out of spite and never quite understood her. The first person to understand her gibberish was a little boy she climbed trees with in the garden.

He was small dark and handsome, and together they roamed creekbeds and starry nights. It was a simple and sweet romance. One that grew in time with thier bodies. He became a sailor, and she spent her days singing for his safe return. One day he didn't return, but she did not mourn for she knew they would always be able to find the other.

Little Bixie didn't have this little friend growing up, and no one quite understood her gibberish. She felt quite alone. One day she found a way to tell the truth and nothing but the truth in plain english. This was a complicated process to be sure, but she knew it could be done in a way that everyone understood. Where did she look to for inspiration? The stars. Why you ask? Because they shine on regardless of what people think about them, they are eternally telling the truth, which is hydrogen and oxygen combining into helium at a temperature if millions of degrees. Now this can only be true when everyone reading agrees on the meanings of the words. Imagine if someone thought that helium meant water! The sun is certainly not made of water.

I have a difficult time with the concept of truth because I, like Bixie and Dixie, have a hard time telling a lie. However, I'm capable of it. I'm just a simple girl from Kentucky. I love the soil under my feet and the sky above my head. I love the river that runs through the holler. I can only really be sure of the things I love, because it's the only true thing half the time. Now half the time you may say, thats a lot of room for error. Lucky for me, I have a failsaif for this problem. I get to choose if I love it or not, so if I love it, it loves me too. Atleast thats how it works in my world, in other people's worlds it seems to work so differently which can be sad sometimes, even painful.

I'm reminded of a time in my own life where I could not speak the truth regardless of how bad I wanted it to. I was in the bed of a monster, and I wanted him off! I tried pushing and shoving and yelling, but no matter how hard I tried I could not make a peep.

This was a painful experience, I lost my lover and a piece of myself.

Luxky me however! I found a teacher and a leader who would show me how to get that piece back. We got to know each other and she patched me up. Next, I went for a very long walk in the astral realm. First I went for a swim in a waterfall and met a mermaid. She told me I was beautiful and gave me a comb. I fell into a spring and was washed clean. I walked along the creekbed until I came across a tr8be. They were expecting me and very excited for my arrival! We entertained each other with stories and songs until it was time to eat. Giant beetles! Delicious. They walked me to a cave and I spoke to a bat on the way in. I can't quite remember what she said, but I'm sure it was a warning. Then I just walked in the dark for a while. I felt the dampness of the earth. I felt secure in the womb of the earth as I walked, and though I could not see, I confidently placed one foot infront of the other. Eventually I came across a mound that contained a BEAUTIFUL blue creature hiding away from the world. She was afraid of the king who had power over her.

I knew just what to do, even though I was a little rusy, I drew my sword. I faced this false fat king and banished him from ever trodding on this creature ever again with a strike true through his heart. When my head was clear enough to realize I had killed a king, I also realized that I didnt feel bad about it. He must have been a bad king.

I left the creature where she lay and returned home. About a week later I was able to integrate her into my life and I am eternally thankful. Sometimes clinging to hard to what we deem true is our demise. That's why I prefer a flexible truth, one that includes the land and stars and dreams and everything else that is beautiful. Thank you for reading my story, and may you always find truth in beauty.

P.s. when you find a note that is worthy of taking, it is up to you to take it. To take advantage of it and give it everything it deserves.

January 15, 2021 02:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.