0 comments

General

The Guardian star in COVID night

The door flung open! By the two sides of a path, there are tons of groceries There is three stacks of rice, many can of meat, sausages, and there is a stack of toilet rolls, toothpaste and even tea towels. Jacklyn thought her mum having another new business idea. She walks to the fridge, and couldn’t find her favourite lime juice. “ Mum! Don’t you think you go overboard? “ Aiyoh! You never know what like without food. Grandma told me of Japanese war” retort Mrs Huang.

Jacklyn scowled at the reply and walked to the bedroom. She is more worried about her job. She finished her contract work at the Bank at the wrong time when the Covid 19 started. “Simple for her…. Mum life just circled around by food” in her thought. “ Next, she will be worried when Dad's pay in” Jacklyn envy her simple-minded mum. Slowly she drifted into her unpleasant sleep at 3am.

The ray of hot sunshine through the window. Jacklyn forces herself out of bed. She remembers it is the first day of semi lockdown.

She walks to the kitchen. Mrs Huang is sitting at the sewing machine. Beside her, there are many cotton cloth, unwoven interfacing, and a huge printout of the mask on the wall. Jacklyn ‘s mouth twitches at one side, mocking at her mum’s efforts. “ The mask you made of little use. It is only the medical masks. I brought 50 pcs and it is expensive and out of stock… Besides the ‘Who" 'advise against the masks. Mrs Huang looks up from her spectacles hanging on the nose and answered”I did some research and it helps me to occupy my times.. I have a sewing class online. “ Jacklyn look at her mum again. As long as she did not go gallivanting outside, this will be good that she remains busy.

Lunch is served at 1pm, while Jacklyn busies on zoom online. She was shocked at her friend for many years, telling her that she is upset at the closure of the gym. Jacklyn reminds her of the number of cases rising globally. In the chatroom, the buzz of reply that they don’t care and they are upset that the solitary for the next three weeks. Her last and stern message on the chatroom “ So many people are dying and you care about the insignificant shape of your body, I don’t know why I got to listen to these ".

Bullshit.” She leaves the chat room and these friend for many years. Jacklyn shallow down the last gulp of pork rib soup and lament that she is going to be very alone during this lockdown.

At the kitchen, Mrs Huang is talking to her sisters. They are discussing how they can beat the rules to visit their 96 years old father. Jacklyn walks to the sofa, sat there to watch the television drama left on. She began to listen to the talks by Mrs Huang. They are angry at the maid, ming. Ming has been making unreasonable demand on them for providing better care for ailing father. Her meal order is 1kg of pork belly, 2 kg boneless chicken legs and vegetables upset Mrs Huang and rest of the family. “ Let her eat, she will treat grandpa better, we can afford it. I can pay for them” Jacklyn chip in her opinion. She is worried that her mum intervention will lead to more troubles, as she knew her mum, Mrs Huang is never a good caregiver.

The clock ticked 5pm, Mrs Huang hurriedly prepares the dinner and sit down with Jacklyn. They are in the world of silence, when Mrs Huang handphone ranged. Her phone is on the speaker mode. “ madam! I don’t have the pork belly to cook tonight” Mrs Huang in awe and slowly look at her spoon. Her face is trying to absorb every patience. Jacklyn looks at her.” Mum, we can send her some from our fridge said, Jacklyn. She knew she has that obligation that night.

Jacklyn looks over her wheel. From far she saw a shadow, dressed in a thick overcoat. Her hat was big enough to hide her face. In 35 degree heat, this creature holds up in a thick overcoat, thick mask over her face, slowly push her luggage bag toward the car. She knocks at the door screen and shows she Is Mrs Huang. Inside the car, Mrs Huang continually sprays alcohol at the annoyance of Jacklyn.

Their car moves toward the intersection road at the nightfall. The traffic is quiet that night. There are fewer people on the street. Some of them still jogging without masks on. Suddenly there is a police post stop check. “Madam, you got to get out and take a breathalyzer test” the voice haunted Mrs Huang. “ The virus all be all over!” Mrs Huang yelling. Jacklyn gets out of the car and looks at her mum firmly glued to seat and turn her nose haughty and look at the mirror. Well! It is negative.” Your car smell of alcohol?”” The sanitizer, officer” The office look at Mrs Huang and nodded with understanding. The car sped on with Mrs Huang, looking pleased that she is masking up.

The car reached the block. Mrs Huang discreetly took out her disinfectant spray. Jackly can see her mum haughty smiles change as she made the way to the doorway at the kitchen.” Your pork belly inside” The maid gives a small upset scream and answered “ This lard not pork belly” Mrs Huang seem glad to answer” you said you want all fat right” 

The night was extremely dark and hot. With melancholy music playing in the background, Jacklyn looks at iPhone new. It is reporting the COVID 19 cases have been rising. She turns to look at Mrs Huang. She is snoring in her seat, comfortable with the breeze of air-conditioning. Slowly, Jacklyn turns to look at the stars in the very black night. They look like the guardians' angels in satanic black of Universe. The traffic turn green, Jacklyn step on the wheel…life goes on...in the new normal. There were always be stars

somewhere in Mrs Huang dream. Jacklyn looks at the stars smiling at the night.

July 23, 2020 18:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.