The second time I died.

Submitted into Contest #132 in response to: Write a story about a teenager whose family is moving.... view prompt

4 comments

LGBTQ+ Teens & Young Adult Contemporary

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

This story is written in response to the prompt "Write a story about a teenager whose family is moving." - contest organised by Reedsy.

Story content:

My love life is ending just as fast as it began. It’s ending because of them. It’s not enough they keep breathing down my neck all the live long day since Jonathan was caught red handed at Jan’s party 3 months ago. Like it was my fault. I mean, yeah, we hang out and everything, but it’s not like I put that stuff in his backpack, used it or gave it to others. I wasn’t even there at the party when it happened. I was with Ela. Oh man, Ela. We could’ve been great. What was Jonathan even doing with that stuff?! I told him to be careful and that it was probably gonna bite him in the ass. I didn’t think it would come to this though. I didn’t think. He didn’t think. And here we are. And the night had started perfectly. I looked hot, Ela looked even hotter. She ditched her friends when she saw me by the pool in my black hoodie and my slick new white kicks. I knew she was gonna notice them. That’s why I worked a double shift for 2 weeks anyway. For her. So that she’d notice. So that she’d give me another look. And she did. She came over, took me by the hand and said “Let’s take a walk, this is boring”. We followed the dim tree lights on the dark alley around the house all the way to the beach. I couldn’t care less about the party and everyone in the house. That was the first time in my life I thought I was gonna die. Today is the second. My heart was pounding through my chest, Ela was holding my hand and I was hoping I wouldn’t screw up the night by saying who knows what idiotic thing. Or by actually dying. I was nervous as hell but I still remember the touch of her lips on my right ear lobe and her hot breath traveling inside my ear, going up to my brain and down to the tip of my toes when she said finally, we’re alone

Oh?

I’m tired of always being surrounded by all these people inside the house. Yours and mine. Sometimes I can’t even hear my own thoughts with all their babbling about what they bought, who they saw, what they’re posting. Insta this, Insta that…ahhh, I hate it

Really? You hate it? Ok…

Surprised?

A bit. But I’m kind of glad. I thought I was the only one feeling like this.

Nope. I fake most of it. I started doing this when I came to this school because I didn’t wanna be the weird new kid that doesn’t fit in anywhere. The social reject. Neeah, been through it at my old school, so I thought I’d try this for a change. Disappointed?

Relieved. You had me going for a while. Remember that afternoon I walked in on you in the geography lab?

Ah yes, my “proudest” bitchy moment. Well, you asked for it. I was there, minding my own business, reading my book and you barged in. 

Well yeah, that was my get away spot so you were kind of barging in.

Was I that bitchy?

Well, if you call “what the hell? Get outta here” and throwing your book at me bitchy…then, yeah. The book gave you away though.

Ah yes….”Find me”, you a fan?

Haven’t read it yet, but I am familiar with his work and no bitch would read that, let’s just put it that way.

She looked down, smiled and seemed shy for the first time ever. Like I was starting to open some little hidden boxes inside of her. She had already opened some of mine.

You’re a 50 year old trapped in a 16 year old teenager, aren’t you? I’m guessing she found that out 3 days after the book incident when she saw me chilling by the huge tree behind the school, took my headphones and put them on.

I now officially know 2 people that listen to Tony Bennet. You and my grandpa.

Busted! My name is Dominic and I love the oldies.

Hi Dominic.

It was my turn to look down and smile because if I kept looking at her, she would see right through me. She would see I didn’t wanna be just friends. I didn’t wanna just hang out like we had done for the past 2 weeks. I wanted her and I wanted her to want me.

She took her phone out, swooshed a few times on the screen and then Tony Bennett became the soundtrack of our walk on the beach, away from our superficial people. 

I lied. I know 3 people that listen to Tony.

This time I didn’t look down. I grabbed her arm, pulled her close and kissed her. And she kissed me back. And we kept kissing for what seemed like forever. Until we heard sirens going toward Jan’s house. 

Mara had passed out, Jan got scared and called an ambulance. Mara and Jonathan had fooled around and tried to smoke some pot Jonathan had found in his brother’s room, as he would tell me later on. Mara freaked out from the rush of sensations and fainted. The rest is history. The police came, the parents came. Mara was fine 10 minutes later but the rest of us were not. Jonathan got suspended from school and on home arrest until forever probably. Mara was not allowed to see him anymore. I wasn’t allowed to see him anymore…not that I had a chance to since he wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Oh and my parents freaked out that I was friends with a drug dealer. Little four-eyed, skinny Jonathan…a drug dealer. He wasn’t a drug dealer. Just plain stupid. He was stupid and I was in love. He was hiding by force. I was hiding by necessity. 

I had my first kiss when I was 12 but it didn’t do much for me. The second one was with Jo, that I thought I really liked. I mean, everyone did. That one didn’t make my knees feel weak either. I blamed it on the lack of experience and hoped it would get better. Spoiler. It didn’t. Until that night on the beach with Ela. I had played it in my head a hundred times since the headphones incident, trying to figure out what I felt, why I felt it. I didn’t figure out anything, just that I wanted to kiss her. And when I did, it was finally right. That’s what kissing should feel like.

We had 2 months and a half of sneaking around, kissing in the lab, kissing by the tree, pretending to study and kissing in the library, pretending she was tutoring me at math and kissing in my room. This is all we did and all we needed. Until aunt Jane saw us at the movies and told my parents 2 weeks ago that she saw me in row 3 and it looked like I was kissing a girl. Could it be true? Oh it was true and it’s what I told my parents when they confronted me about it.

They were shocked that their perfect 16 year old beautiful daughter would be kissing another girl in the 3rd row at the movies. What’s shocking is that I was in the 3rd row at the movies. What’s not shocking is that I’m in love. Crazy, inconvenient, can’t live without each other’s kisses love. 

It’s been crazy in the house since then. I’m friends with a drug dealer and now I’m gay? What has become of me? Why was I lying? What else am I hiding? Am I throwing my life away before it actually begins? How can they trust me? My friends are a bad influence. My school is too open minded. I am not in love, just confused. I’m too young to know what I want. 

We are moving back to my home town where I can focus on school, my future and meet nice boys. I am dying for the second time in 16 years and I fear this time it's for good.

February 11, 2022 16:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Moon Lion
08:25 Feb 19, 2022

Hello! Firstly, probably don't need that beginning caption, because Reedsy automatically sorts the story based on which prompt you wrote it for. But aside from that, I loved the story. Obviously not for the sad ending, but because it's well written, cute, and relatable :/ My parents similarly reacted badly to me being queer. The ending was brilliant btw, circling back to that super intriguing title. Your main character was also really likeable :)

Reply

Alexandra David
12:26 Feb 20, 2022

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read it. Really happy you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
14:08 Apr 10, 2022

I really don’t see the big deal if two people love each other. As long as they can consent who cares. It’s a shame this is still a thing. Hugs if this is from your life.

Reply

Alexandra David
05:49 Apr 16, 2022

Thanks Graham :) That makes 2 of us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.