0 comments

Drama

Andy tapped the tip of his pen against the paper on the front table where he was sitting. His eyes were still staring at the something written on the white sheet. However, his thoughts were erratic.

The letter arrived in the morning, where he had just called his beloved wife. His daughter entered junior high school starting last week, and it made Andy who works far across the island return to longing for his little family to be together.

"Ah," Andy put down his pen and massaged his temples while leaning his head against the back of his soft office chair.

As a Head of Finance in a Government Office, he gets a monthly salary that is more than enough, for him to renovated the house of his mother and his two in-laws in his hometown, bought a new house for Dina, his wife, and their daughter Lisa. Also cover the cost of living and the house he rented while living on the island. And even then, Andy can still use it to bought a car that he now carries everywhere, and has quite a lot of savings in the bank.

Andy is really good at managing his finances. Apart from being a civil servant, he has also built a small culinary business run by his wife and sister-in-law in his hometown. From that business, Dina can save and Andy also gets the profit. Besides teaching Dina and his sister-in-law to do business, he also wants Dina to have activities that make his wife not bored at home.

Some say that Andy, who is only 40 years old, is the ideal man. Apart from a well-established job with a high position, good at doing business and capitalizing on his wife and family, also because Andy is known as a reliable employee. From his boss to his subordinates, they always sees Andy as someone who is able to do a good job. Whatever it is.

Physically, Andy is also handsome, tall, and even though he is no longer young, he still looks fresh like a young man in his 20s. Countless women teased him on purpose, openly or not. However, Andy is very loyal to Dina. His first love.

Andy was accepted as a Civil Servant at the age of 24, after he graduated from college. At that time he was still placed in his hometown. In the office he meets Dina, who is an honorary employee. They then decided to get married a year later.

Andy asked Dina to quit her job, after she got a scholarship to continue her master's studies abroad. For 3 years, Dina studied in that country. Makes her and Andy have to undergo a 'Long Distance Marriage'.

After graduating from college, Dina returned to her hometown and two months later she became pregnant. Dina's intention to register to work as a lecturer at one of her regional private universities was eventually abandoned due to her focus on the baby.

After giving birth, Dina wanted to focus more on caring for Lisa, her child and Andy, and finally decided not to work in an office anymore. Moreover, they still live with Andy's mother who has diabetes since 6 years ago. Dina wants to take care of Lisa, and help for accompanying her mother-in-law, so that Andy can focus on working and not forgetting his obligations to family and worship.

Andy decided to invest in Dina to build a small culinary business. Of course, by inviting Dita, Dina's sister, to help manage the business.

However, when Lisa was 3 years old, a decree came that Andy had to be transferred to the opposite island. Initially, Dina and Lisa will be brought in. However, seeing Dita's family's poor financial condition and needing Dina's help to continue running a culinary business together, also Andy's mother who doesn't want to move outside the island, Andy decided to go alone.

Andy promised, if the opportunity come to him, to be able to move back to his hometown, he will use it well. In order to quickly reunite with his family.

Andy can count how tormented he is in dealing with his lonely life, far from Dina and Lisa. He could not go home every month. Besides saving on plane tickets, sometimes a lot of work has to be done at the end of the month.

He can return to his hometown about every 3 months. Even then, only a few days at home, less than a week. Except when there is time for long national holidays.

Years of living apart from Dina, made Andy also quite tired of facing the problem of longing for his wife's caress. Several times he was almost tempted, when a prankster approached him and asked him to date secretly.

However, Dina's beautiful face, who always believed in him, and Lisa who was so excited every day called to show off her daily stories, made him strong again to remain loyal in the marriage bond.

He chose to focus on work and busy himself with positive activities, and strengthen his worship. What he asked God for was that an opportunity would come soon where he could find it easier to apply for a transfer to his hometown, or at least in an area near where his wife and children were. Not apart from the ocean like this.

Until this day comes. Letter from Mr. Ibnu, his boss. All officers know that Mr. Ibnu is a bit problematic. Finance in the office has become a little suspicious since the man, who is about to retire, was appointed Head of the Department two years ago.

Among all his subordinates, Andy was the one with whom to talk to and was close to Mr. Ibnu. Several times, the 55-year-old teased Andy about the issue of promotion.

Andy still remembers what Mr. Ibnu said two months ago. "If you want, I can make you the Head of the Office after I retire. But, it's not free either, you know!"

The issue of the appointment of the Head of the Office is also serious. Because everything has a process that must be passed, namely the selection from the Government Office in Capital City. Andy never imagined himself, to get to where he is today. He is grateful, always be honest and God reward him good in career.

Remembering his mother's advice, "If there is dishonesty in life, there will only be anxiety in living it later."

But, again he also somewhat confirmed the words of Mr. Ibnu. "Now people who want to be honest are actually destroyed. He lost, run over by smart people who can take advantage of opportunities. We can be honest, but if you are stuck rather than destroyed, it's better to cheat a little as long as you survive, right?"

Because Andy saw a lot of facts around him. Honest people are victims of the environment and circumstances. Meanwhile, those who cheat got what they want.

Again Andy sighed. His head felt dizzy thinking about the condition he was experiencing now. The letter in front of him was an offer from Mr. Ibnu. The man retired in three months. However, according to Mr. Ibnu, the selection from the Central Office decided that Mr. Henri, Head of Planning, as the next candidate for Head Office.

But that's not what bothered Andy. The tantalizing offer actually made him doubt, because Mr. Ibnu offered a shortcut, Andy can move to his hometown, directly as the Head Office, because the old Head Office in his hometown would also retire this year, provided Andy was willing to pay 200 million.

That amount of money actually easy for Andy. However, isn't that cheating? In fact, it can be called an act of nepotism.

But, the turmoil of his heart began to strengthen and wriggle, when the desire to immediately gather with Dina and Lisa, became more and more unbearable.

Andy heard from Irvan, his high school friend, that several times a prankster teased Dina when they bought food or a drink at his wife's cafe. Dina is indeed beautiful and good at taking care of herself, so that she is 37 years old and looks like she is still in her 20s.

Not to mention, he also really missed Lisa who had grown up and began to rarely call him because now she often played with her friends, or had a new hobby of playing music. Lisa began to show her mature side, and no longer spoiled him.

While what made Andy even more restless, because his mother was no longer able to get out of bed. Even though he knows that Dina is very patience in taking care of his mother, he really wants to accompany the woman who gave birth to him in his old age.

Andy then straightened his seat. He read the offer letter again. What should he do? If he only spent that 200 million, he would have no problem, because finally he can reunite with his family.

While opportunities like that didn't seem to come twice. He had to decide right now. Because Mr. Ibnu would immediately process the access, so that no one knows.

The image of his 85 year old mother's face, Dina's beautiful face, Lisa's cheerful face, and the pleasant atmosphere of her hometown, came to his mind.

"If I were in side of them, Mother would be happy. She will no longer missing me, even her condition would soon improve. Even if God calls Mother, at least I will be close to her. Dina will no longer be bothered by the prankster, I can keep close to Lisa in her teenage years, of course. I don't need to hold back longing here. No longer in the fear of affairs sin. "

Andy then reached back for his pen. He looked once more at the paper. Just put a signature, then transfer the money. Easy actually, right?

Once again, the man sighed. Before finally making a decision.

***

4 months later.

Several television stations began broadcasting news about nepotism cases in a Ministry. The main suspect is a former head of the regional office. He has retired, but it turns out that during his job, he used a lot of office money, and also practiced nepotism.

The suspect's name is Ibnu. A 56 year old man who is currently undergoing an examination. Besides that, there are also Henri, the Head Office who replaced Ibnu, who was also an other suspect. The crime he committed was to pay Ibnu 250 million to get a new head position.

Currently, who is behind these cases is still being investigated, and of course it helps Ibnu's access to launch all his plans to carry out nepotism within the Ministry.

Andy turn off the television. He then grab his ringing cellphone. It's Dina. After Dina answer his greeting, the woman then ask how Andy was doing.

"You also watched television, huh? Thank God. I did not lost the mind at that time. I believes that God must have the best plan for us as long as we obey and do not betray God with actions that God hates. "

Dina reply, "Papa believes me, don't you, that i will always loyal to you? I will always take care of your Mom. Mom is starting to eat well again and is somewhat healthy now. I help her for walking therapy. Lisa, too, she now have more times to calling you again, right?"

Andy chuckle. He then say, "Help me with your prayer from there, Dear. So that if the opportunity comes again for me to move to our hometown, it will come in a good and blessed way. I will also always be loyal to you, Mama. Because Mama is my last love."

Dina laugh on the other side. Andy smile because he could imagine Dina's shy face.

"Papa, let's video call! I really miss you!" Suddenly Dina sulking.

Andy chuckle again. "Come on!" he replys excitedly.

November 03, 2020 06:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.