0 comments

Romance

The sound of wailing sirens woke the two abruptly. Though in separate rooms, in opposite corners of the building, both were equally filled with smoke, causing their eyes and lungs to burn. Through it all they were able to navigate down the staircases and out of the building just as the firemen were entering the bakeries. They guided the two hastily outside, stumbling and coughing.  The flashing lights of the fire truck mixed with shimmering Christmas decorations reflecting off of the newly formed ice on the road was mesmerizing.  Maggie found herself motionless in awe at the sight of it. Christian turned to look at the building, flames visibly pouring out of the building, his bakery, both of their bakeries. The shock and realization of what was happening set in quickly, he fainted where he stood, right in the middle of Main street. 


Maggie sat at the kitchen table of her Aunt’s house staring blankly into her cup of coffee. Her aunt tenderly stroking her forearm to comfort her. 


“It’ll be alright,” her Aunt was saying. Maggie slowly shaking her head in disagreement. 


“I just don’t see how it could be. Everything is gone and there are less than two days until the Holiday festival. You know how important it was for me to win this year’s baking contest if I have any chance of keeping the doors open. I put everything I had in that bakery.” She says as she buries her head in her hands. Too exhausted to cry, she lets out a sorrowful moaning sigh. 


Christian awoke in the hospital. Various beeping and clicking noises going off in his room and in the distance. The nurse sat on his bedside reading and taking notes from one of the suspended monitors above him. Christian attempted to speak but instead of words, deep coughs filled his vocal cords and he choked violently.


“Wow, easy now” the nurse said placing a hand on his arm. “Take a few deep breaths and try that again.” 


Christian did as he was instructed. After a few moments he attempted, “I would ask if it’s true or just a bad dream, but seeing as though I smell like something that’s been left in the oven too long, I think I already know the answer.” 


“Sorry to say you’re right,” the nurse said nodding empathetically in confirmation. 

“Good news though, you’re going to make a full recovery and can even go home later today.”


“Home?” Christian asked with a raised eyebrow. 


“Oh, I’m sorry, poor choice of words. I should have said you can leave the hospital today. But before you do, someone has been waiting for you all night in the waiting room that I am sure would be happy to see you and even put you up for as long as you need.” 


“All night, really?” Christian asked with an inquisitive tone, though it was obvious to both of them it was meant to be rhetorical. “I’m sure he’s in a great mood,” he added. 


The young nurse laughed, part in solidarity and part in pity. “I will give you a few minutes to finish letting all this sink in then send him in. 


“Thanks, Christian replied.” 


Maggie decided to pull herself together and go see the full extent of the damage of her bakery, home, and really all she had to her name. Her Aunt had offered to accompany her but Maggie gratefully declined. She wanted, no, needed to do this alone. After all, it was her hard work that had gone up in flames, literally. 


Ashes darkened patches of the street and sidewalks starting a few blocks away. The wind must have carried them, though she hadn’t noticed any wind at the time. As she grew closer, her heart sank. Though the old stone walls remained, most of the windows had been broken, the front doors to both bakeries, rival bakeries, had been shattered. Their voids partially strung with bright yellow caution tape. Everything inside she could see, charred to a crisp.


Christian was officially released from the hospital. His dad had brought him some clothes from what he could find hiding in the back of his old closet. Nostalgia and despair set in at the same time as he looked at himself. He was wearing a sweatshirt that said ‘Will bake for dough,’ he had worn day-in and day-out during culinary school with a slightly torn pair of cargo pants. As for a coat, his father brought him his old bomber jacket, which, as a kid Christian thought was the coolest. Now, he looked ridiculous. For a brief moment he thought to himself that this could not possibly get any worse. He quickly realized it could. 


“The festival!  What am I going to do?” He surprised himself by saying out loud. He wasn’t sure if his father had heard him from the drivers’ seat. “Would you mind dropping me off at that bakery?” Christian asked.


Maggie was walking slowly around the building, still letting the weight of the situation set in when “bam!” she ran smack dab into Christian, apparently doing the same as she. Both of them distracted. They jumped apart in surprise, and pain. 


“Sorry!” Maggie proclaimed! 


“No, it’s my fault, I’m sorry, are you okay,” Christian begged.  Until that moment they hadn’t realized whom the other was. Upon realization however, their tones immediately changed. 


“You!” Maggie pointedly said, waving her finger towards Christian. “What did you do to my bakery?” she demanded loudly.  


“Your bakery?” Christian rebutted. “What about mine? I should be asking you the same thing!” 


Maggie continued, “Don’t think I don’t know this is some sick form of sabotage you’ve had up your sleeve. And just before the Holiday festival.  I know you haven’t wanted me here, and the feeling’s mutual, but I never thought you would stoop to this kind of low.” 


“Whoa, whoa. Sabotage?”  Christian said holding up his hands in defense. “Do you really think I would go so far as to burn down both of our bakeries just to get rid of the competition? That’s a stretch even for you!” 


Just then a third voice interrupted. “Okay you two, calm down before you kill each other. It was no one’s fault but the old wiring.” They both turned and stared at the fire chief approaching from the front of the building. “And as luck, or lack thereof, would have it, the issue started in the wall dividing your spaces, unfortunately resulting in complete loss of both bakeries. I am very sorry to tell you.” 


“What are we supposed to do now? What about the festival?” Christian pleaded.  “I really needed the win this year, especially the grand prize.” 


“You’re not the only one that was in need of a win,” Maggie added woefully.


Before the pair could slip any further into despair, the chief added “Well I started thinking about that early this morning on my way here, and I must admit it was partially for selfish reasons. I made a call to Mrs.Woring, the high school principal. I told her the sad news and asked her if she had any thoughts on letting you two use the school cafeteria space at least for the Holiday festival since school is out on winter break.” Both Maggie and Christian perked up and waited anxiously for him to finish. “She enthusiastically agreed that would be a wonderful idea.  She volunteered to go unlock the doors for you both this afternoon.”


“Thank you so much,” Maggie exclaimed.


“Oh what a relief,” Christian said letting out a huge breath. “Yes, thank you” 


“It’s the least we can do for the both of you, I speak for all of us here when I say we don’t know what we would do without either of your baked goods. And none of us want to find out. You two will just have to work together long enough to make the festival.”


“Together?” the pair said in unison. 


Not wanting to get dragged into this any further the chief replied, “I’m sure you two will work it out,” ducking away from them, all of a sudden in a hurry to get anywhere but there, he muttered, “Good luck,” as he reached his vehicle. 


Every year the Holiday festival, a regional celebration that brings visitors and participants from all around, includes a competition for baking. Though always an honor to win, this year however, a new culinary magazine took over sponsorship of the competition and as a result the stakes are higher, much higher. The winner not only receives a generous sum of prize money, more than ever before, but will be featured in a two-page spread in the New Year’s edition of the magazine distributed throughout the entire region, viewed by thousands of readers. That level of advertising alone would boost business tremendously. The catch is the baked item to be judged will not be released until 24 hours prior to the competition. 


Both Christian and Maggie took off in the direction of the high school. It was only a short walk South of town. The two, falling almost in perfect stride with one another didn’t say a word for the first few minutes. 


Maggie interrupted the silence by asking, “Why do you need to win this year’s contest so badly? Did you burn through all of your family’s money already?” 


Christian came to an abrupt halt. “For your information, though it is none of your business, my family doesn’t have any money. They never really did. They just liked to live like they did. It was my duty to help keep up appearances.” Maggie looked at him skeptically. “It’s true,” Christian pressed. The two continued forward. “If I don’t win this year’s contest and all that comes with it, I will most likely have to close for good.” He paused then added snidely, “Try not to relish in that news too much.”


“Hey, she said, that’s not fair. I have never wished you ill will, just for a little easier go at it. Not to mention it isn’t easy having your direct competition sharing not just a building, but a wall!” They were both able to muster up a laugh at that statement. 


“You sound like you need this win as much as I do,” Christian said inquisitively. 


“Yes,” she stated simply. Then continued, “I have been running on fumes of finances since I opened. The loans for my education piling up. I was hoping a win this year at the Holiday festival would be the breadth of fresh air I needed to keep me going. But, chances are looking pretty grim at this point. Maybe I should have listened to my parents and gone to law school like they wanted.”  Again, they laughed. They were approaching the high school. 


Christian stopped at the door and tried it, it was unlocked. He held it open for Maggie gesturing with his hands, he offered, “after you.” 


She scoffed and replied, “such a gentleman, must have been all that smoke inhalation.” He grinned but said nothing. Just nodded for her to enter. They turned on the lights and took in their surroundings. 


 “Oh boy, I guess beggars can’t be choosers.” Christian said trying to sound hopeful. 


“In this case, bakers,” Maggie added.  


It was a small town, therefore equating to a small high school and an even smaller cafeteria. “Okay, she said with a clap of her hands snapping Christian out of his fog. We can make this work. We will just have to share the space.  At this point we have no choice. The competition is in a little more than 24 hours. Let’s try and make it as fair as possible since we both clearly need the win.”


“I can agree to those terms,” Christian said trying to sound assuring to the both of them. They shook on it.  


Sharing this space wasn’t going to be easy, or fun for that matter. They took inventory of the existing ingredients. They were limited to one large mixer and one oven. They knew the announcement of the baked item that held their fates would be made at 4PM sharp. They had done all they could do to prepare with what little they had and decided both of them could use a little rest. They parted ways knowing they would be seeing each other soon, once again as competition. 


At 4:35 precisely Maggie had most of her mixture measured out ready to be put together. She was about to combine them together when she heard Christians voice. 


“You didn’t waste any time, did you?” She nodded in acknowledgment but said nothing, just continued to work.  


Christian got the message, put his head down and did the same. The baked good that they would be judged on in the competition was a bundt cake. It may not seem too challenging for professional bakers, bus some times that simpler the item, the more difficult the execution.  Maggie had finished combining ingredients and headed towards the stand mixer. She hadn’t noticed Christian had been at the same point until again, a near collision, this time at the mixer.


“Sorry, early baker gets the winning bundt cake.” Maggie joked, though Christian didn’t see the humor in it. She quickly scraped her batter into the mixer and set its speed and time. Christian, eyes wide and mouth agape slammed his bowl down onto the table beside the mixer in disgust before storming off into the school. Maggie, ignoring this for the most part realized she should call her Aunt to let her know what was going on. She had stopped by her house briefly, but her Aunt was not at home. She checked the mixer one last time and stepped out the kitchen door to make her call. 


Maggie re-entered the kitchen a few minutes later. She had heard some clanking while she was outside and noticed Christian’s bowl was no longer by the mixer. She assumed he had collected it after he was through throwing his fit. She moved fprward pouring her creation into the bundt molds she was able to find hidden in the back shelves of the pantry and placed them in the pre-heated oven. All she could do now was wait. The cakes had been in the oven for about 15 out of the 30 minutes they would take to bake when Christian reappeared in the kitchen doorway. He sniffed the air, it swooned with spices and delectable notes, but he said nothing. He approached the mixing table and stopped. 


“What did you do with my bowl?” He asked inquisitively, yet impatiently. 


“I didn’t touch your bowl.” Maggie replied quickly and assuredly. 


“Oh, okay sure, so it just grew legs and walked away then?” Christian asked pointing to the empty table space where his bowl had been last time either of them saw it. 


“I am not sure what you’re implying, but the last time I saw your bowl was when you slammed it down on the table and stormed away like an angry little child.” Now feeling compelled to prove her innocence Maggie starts looking for the bowl and mixture. It couldn’t have gone far as the space was tiny. They both looked in trash cans, the refrigerator. Nothing. Maggie got down on her knees and began looking under the prep tables. “Aha!” She exclaimed, “here it is.” She slid it out from under one of the tables, “it must have fallen with the vibration of the mixer.” He grabbed it from her without thanks before she could say a word. It was empty. Before either of them could speak, the oven timer buzzed. They looked at each other, not needing to say a word, knowing each was thinking the same thing. They raced to open the oven doors and hastily removed the cakes. They looked perfect, golden colored and the aroma was heavenly. 


Christian removed one immediately from its mold, not caring how hot it was, slightly burning his hand. He cut a large slice, breaking it in tow. Without speaking they shoved bites of steaming cake into their mouths. Groans of enjoyment seeping out of both of them. 


“This is incredible.” Maggie swooned.  


“Of course, it is,” Christian offers, “it’s my recipe.” 


“It’s our recipe now” she corrects.


He growls begrudgingly. “I can’t believe this happened. What are we going to do? This is better than any bunt cake I have ever had, or made admittedly, you? Christian asked. 


“I hate to admit it, I mean really hate too, but I agree. I can’t believe I am going to say this, but I don’t think we have any choice but to enter the Holiday festival contest together unless you have a better idea.” Maggie offered. 


“At this point I am all out of options.” Christian replied. 


“Then it’s settled.” Maggie states offering her hand again, they shake. 


All eyes were on them walking into the judging area together, one cake between them. The gossip was sure to ensue. There were more participants then last year, which was to be expected with the stakes being as high as they were.  The wait was grueling. Out of anxiety Christian reached for Maggie’s hand while the judges deliberated. She didn’t pull hers away. 


Finally, the ruling was in, Maggie and Christian were declared the winners and the recipients of the prize money and two-page spread! They embraced each, though surprising both of themselves by this action, they didn’t break their embrace. 


“I guess we mix well together after all.” Christian said playfully. 


“Looks like we do,” Maggie replied.


They kissed. When the magazine spread came to print, the pictures featured showed the wall being torn down between the two previous bakeries, combining it into one space, fully restored. The happy couple were standing in front of the new, single door, together. The new bakery sign above them read, ‘All in the Mix Bakery.’




December 11, 2020 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.