6 comments

Funny

“Come on! Get a grip. It’s only a party.”

“Yeah, but all those people…”

“Well, d’uh! Party. People. They kinda go together, don’t you think?”

“Suppose so.”

“So come on. Snap out of it. Get out of the car. Walk up the path. Ring the bell.”

“Is this the right address, though?”

“You’ve checked it twice already.”

“Better check again.”

“Go on then, if you must … Well?”

“Yeah. It’s right. But maybe I’ll just stay here a few minutes. You know, ‘stiffen the sinews’ and all that.”

“Jesus wept! Get. Out. Of. The. Car!”

“All right, all right! I’m going. Now where did I put that bottle? That’s odd. I could have sworn I brought a bottle of wine from the house.”

“You put it in the boot, remember?”

“Ah, yeah, that’s right. I forgot. My old brain cells…”

“You didn’t forget. It’s an old trick. Sub-conscious playing-for-time.”

“You think so? Maybe you’re right.”

“I know I am.”

“Now, in case I get stopped on the way home, I’ll just check that I’ve got my car documents in the glo–“

“Don’t you dare! GET OUT OF THE CAR!”

“Okay, okay. Take it easy!”

“You make it hard.”

“To do what?”

“Take it easy.”

“Sorry. All right. Here goes.”

“That’s it. You’re out! Now, lock the door. Open the boot. Take the wine. Close the boot. And … up the path we go. Good. One foot in front of the other. Left, right, left, right, left, right.”

“I’m doing it! I’m doing it!”

“You are!”

“Ah, this isn’t so diff– … oh, but hang on. Did I lock the car door?”

“Yes! Yes! You locked the door!”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure.”

“I’m not. Maybe I’ll just go back and check.”

“You don’t need to … ah, okay. Go back and check if it’ll make you feel better.”

“It will. I’ll be worrying about it all evening if I don’t. So … let’s see. Well, what do you know? I did lock it.”

“Told you so.”

“But as I’m here … those documents.”

“You just try it!”

“Come on, humour me. It’ll only take a jiffy.”

“For heaven’s sake!”

“Let’s see … yes they’re all here.”

“Okay, now … close the glove compartment. That’s it. And close the door. Right. Repeat after me: I have checked the documents and I have closed the glove compartment and the car door.”

“I’ve checked the documents and closed the glove compartment and the car door.”

“What did you say?”

“I’ve checked the documents and … et cetera.”

“And will you remember?”

“I will.”

“So … shall we go up the path now?”

“I might just–”

“Get up that path, you sorry excuse for a human being!”

“Oh, that’s going to make me feel a lot better that is!”

You ask for it sometimes.”

“You’re supposed to support me, not insult me.”

“It’s for your own good.”

“If you say so. Well, here we go again then. Left, right, left, right, left … hang on! Did I lock the–?”

“What the–?!”

“Jus’ kiddin’. Got you that time.”

“Very funny.”

“Look at the house, though. They’re not short of a few bob, I bet.”

“Yes, yes.”

“The garden, too. Very nice. I’m sure they don’t look after it themselves. What flower is this?”

“There you go again.”

“What?”

“Playing for time.”

“I’m not! I’m just admiring the flowers and … er … shrubs. I wouldn’t mind having a garden myself, you know. We had one when I was a nipper, then we moved to the city and–“

“Come on, just a few more paces.”

“You’re a hard taskmaster, you are.”

“Someone’s got to do it.”

“I wish you weren’t so hard sometimes, though.”

“You’d still be on the sofa now if I weren’t – watching that box set of ‘Friends’ for the umpteenth time.”

“Nothing wrong with– … hey! Listen to that. Sounds like the party’s in full swing.”

“That’s good, isn’t it?”

“Well, it means it’s probably rammed with … you know … people.”

“We’ve already gone there. It’s a bloody party!”

“I know, I know. But you don’t understand. People means you have to speak to them. Or they’re watching you. Or you keep getting pushed up against them.”

“But a lot of people means you can get away with not speaking to them – just drift through the rooms, looking like you’re heading somewhere. And they’ll probably be watching each other anyway, not you. Who’d want to watch you?”

“What?”

“Jus’ kiddin’.”

“Ha ha! Touché.”

“Yes, you can find yourself a nice quiet little corner and maybe talk to their cat, or hover round the bookshelves pretending to admire their collection. Or do what you always do – hang about in the kitchen, sampling the cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks.”

“Yeah, that’s true enough. ‘You’ll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties’.”

“Good song.”

“You’re not wrong there.”

“Or, you know ... you could just speak to people.”

“Brrr! Perish the thought.”

“Show an interest. Find out about them. Engage.”

“It’s easy for you to say.”

“That’s because it’s easy.”

“Nah.”

“All right, whatever. Are you going to ring the bell or what?”

“You know, I could phone them and say something came up at work.”

“You’re joking, right?”

“They wouldn’t know any different.”

“You’re here now. Just ring the bell!”

“Okay! Okay! Here goes … ding-dong.”

“Avon calling!”

“You always say that.”

“I know. I am a creature of habit, I must admit.”

“You and me both. Hang on. Someone’s coming. Wish me luck.”

“Luck!”

“Hi, Deirdre! How are you?”


*****


“Well, that wasn’t so bad.”

“You had a great time, admit it!”

“All right, it was better than I expected.”

“As always.”

“You know, I think Deirdre might like me.”

“There you go.”

“She’s very nice, Deidre.”

“She seemed it when she answered the door.”

“Yes. Very interesting person. And not bad-looking, either.”

“A result, then?”

“Maybe. She told me to ring her in the week.”

“Great! And if you’d stayed at home…?”

“That wouldn’t have happened.”

“And so…?”

“Better out than in.”

“You’ve got it.”

“Tommy invited me to his house-warming next weekend, too.”

“You see!”

“But…”

“But what?”

“I’m dreading it already.”

“God, give me strength.”


September 22, 2023 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Marina Pacheco
18:28 Dec 14, 2023

Great fun Phil. Quite the challenge to get all that detail about the surroundings, and movement with only dialogue.

Reply

PJ Town
00:06 Dec 22, 2023

Thanks, Marina! (I enjoyed the challenge...)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
05:57 Oct 02, 2023

Ha. Great last line, Phil. The story gets a little tedious because the character is tedious, but it fits the prompt perfectly. I wondered who the woman was, but it really doesn't matter. Could be a mother, a sister, an aunt, or co-worker. It's great to see you contributing here because I miss your stories and feed back and I don't know where else I would get that. I'll send you my new email address in case you're writing somewhere else, or you have anything you would like someone (like me) to read. Plus, you're my friend. I've always lik...

Reply

PJ Town
21:31 Oct 02, 2023

Thanks, Ken. Yes, the character here is annoying ... and they would be if you had to deal with them. But they do seem to be suffering from a serious condition also, so in real life, we'd need to be sympathetic, I think. I'm currently working my way through a box-set (eight seasons) of 'Monk' (Adrian Monk, the detective - played by the wonderful Tony Shalhoub. Do you know it?) He actually reminds me of my character a lot, though I wrote that story before seeing the series. In the series, he's also infuriating ... but his essential charm sh...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
17:06 Oct 03, 2023

What made me think she was a woman? Uhhhh, nothing? Nothing in the story. Just my own preconceived biases at play. I had to read it yet again to be sure that was true, and I did, and it was.

Reply

PJ Town
19:25 Oct 03, 2023

“You’re a hard taskmaster, you are.” It would be 'taskmistress', wouldn't it? But then you're entitled to your interpretation ... and thanks for the second read! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.