4 comments

Romance Happy

*This was a collab with Abigail Cross. She was originally going to post it, but she was unable to. Also, it was originally supposed to be submitted under the "Because I said so" prompt of the last contest, but unfortunately, it was a little late.*


Alya: I slowly back away, the knife gleaming on the ground, memory after horrid memory seeping into my mind. I back up into a large tree as I raise my hands, my birthmark glowing a lightning blue instead of the usual soft color. Adrenaline shoots through my veins as Charlie looks at me, his intense chocolate brown eyes set on me.



Charlie: Alya backs away, her hands raised, birthmark glowing. I look at her, my eyes wide. I pick up the knife, gleaming in the rapidly fading sunlight. I didn't mean for this to happen. But will she believe what I say? I take a deep breath. "Alya, it's okay. This is just the knife I use to cut vines and saplings to make things. I'm not gonna hurt you with it. I would never do that." I look straight into her eyes. "Please believe me." I whisper the last line, my voice cracking, pleading almost.



Alya: His voice cracks, tears filling his eyes. I want to believe him, I really do, but I can't trust anyone. There's no one i can trust... I was foolish to think I could live happily. I was foolish to think I could finally make a friend... I thrust my hands toward him, sending a barrage of icicles at him. "Get away from me!" I scream, scrambling away from him. I dodge around the trees, fingering the scar on my neck, remembering the fresh blood- my blood- that once dripped from a blade. I could hear him running behind me, but I didn't stop. I had to get away, had to run to safety. I can only rely on myself. I can only rely on myself. I can only-


I was interrupted when the ground beneath me suddenly dropped, and the trees around me were suddenly replaced with a large cliff. I slipped on the edge, and I barely saw Charlie's honey-gold hair before I made contact with the ground and blacked out.



Charlie: She thrusts her hands forward, icicles as sharp as daggers shooting towards me. I duck, an icicle grazing my cheek, cutting it. I can feel the blood beginning to trickle out, but I block out the pain, focusing only on her. She runs, not looking back. I run after her, the cut throbbing. Suddenly, the trees stop. She stumbles, slipping on the edge. Loose rocks tumble to the bottom of the canyon. She falls down, hitting the ground hard. She doesn't move. The rocks begin to give out beneath her, and then she's slipping over the cliff edge. I lunge forward, grabbing her arm, pulling with all my strength. I pull her body away from the edge, away from certain death. I gently pick her up, and begin the walk to my cottage.


**********************************

Alya: I hear whispering in my ear, but I can't tell whose it is. I open my eyes, my head throbbing as a warm liquid slides down my throat. I come face to face with Charlie, his brown eyes soft and concerned. I react instantly, jumping from the bed as a rush of blood floods my face. I become dizzy, clutching the wall for support. I raise my hand above my knapsack before realizing it's gone. I become frantic, searching around the cottage for anything I could use. I eye the cup in Charlie's hand, steaming with hot liquid. My mind is fuzzy and muddled, and it takes me a little bit to realize what was happening. "G-get away from me," I muttered, prepared to splash the boiling liquid in his face if need be.



Charlie: She jumps up from the bed, her face going pale, her knees almost buckling. "Hey, hey, calm down. This is my cottage. Lay back down," I say, gently. I set the mug in my hand down, and walk around to the other side of the bed. I reach out my hand, taking her arm. She flinches, and I take my hand away. She shakes her head. I speak softly. "Hey, you should lay back down before you pass out again."



Alya: I shake my head, sending another wave of dizziness through me. I lean on the wall, red spots forming beneath my eyelids. It feels like someone is stabbing my head over and over, unrelenting despite my pain. "Why should I?" I say, barely above a whisper.



Charlie: She shakes her head, then leans against the wall. "Why should I?" She asks, the words barely audible. Her knees buckle, and my hands shoot out to catch her. "Because I said so," I say softly.



Alya: I give a small smile, allowing him to carry me back to the bed. I finger the soft blanket, letting my eyes droop as he spoons me some more broth. Maybe I can trust him... he did save me, after all. A heavy fog settles on my mind, distorting reality. I gaze into Charlie's chocolate brown eyes, his honey-gold hair drooping over his face.



Charlie: She smiles, and I carry her back to the bed. She fingers the blanket, her eyes drooping as I spoon her more broth. She gazes in my eyes, and then her eyes close. I set the mug down and get up. I tuck the blanket in around her, then begin to turn away. I pause, then turn around and lean down. I gently kiss her on her forehead, letting my lips linger. She stirs, then begins mumbling.



Alya: Something soft touches my forehead. I stir, my eyes fluttering slightly. Charlie is leaning down, and he’s kissing my forehead. My head feels heavy, my brain feels foggy. I smile a tiny smile, then mumble, my words slurred slightly. “I love you,” I say, barely remembering that I just met him today. 



Charlie: I pull away, blushing. “I- I love you, too. I’ve loved you since the moment I met you.” My face is burning now. Her eyes are clouded, and her face looks happy, but confused. She tries to sit up, but I lean over and gently push her back down. “Stay,” I tell her, firmly but gently. She laughs, and shakes her head. “No,” she says, then grabs my hand. Her eyes turn sad, churning with a mix of emotions. She pulls me closer, then begins whispering.



Alya: My head begins to hurt, and my blood begins to rush. Memories flood my mind, both the good and the bad. He loves me. He really loves me. Finally, finally, someone loves me. “You really love me?” I ask, still having trouble believing it. He nods, then leans in. His lips brush mine, and then he pulls me away. My breath catches in my throat. “Kiss me again,” I murmur.

He looks at me, surprised. “Why?” he asks. A smile creeps onto my face. “Because I said so.”


May 22, 2021 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Philia S
02:59 Sep 03, 2021

*insert furious second-hand blushing* I abso-blooming-lutely loved this! Will there be another part now? Would love to read more of this! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:24 May 24, 2021

*applause*

Reply

Show 0 replies

AHHHHHHH THE KISSSSS Goodbye, Zoe. :) Stay safe! I'll seeya next year(i think) bai~ <33333

Reply

Show 0 replies

OMG i love this Ivyyyyy aghhh the endingggg im so happy i got to do a collab with you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.