2 comments

Kids

It was a normal Saturday and Grace, Agnes, and Clara were sitting in three comfy chairs by the fire. They had the whole day planned out, They were going to relax, maybe read a book or two. Clara had stood up and looked at her sisters. “Would you like a cup of tea?” She asked. “Sure, but please make it the good kind this time. I did not like the kind of tea you made last time.” Agnes said, still staring at her book. “Fine, I guess I will have some tea.” Grace replied while looking at her father from out the window. 

Clara had brought back a pot of fresh pot of tea, the good kind, and three cups. She poured the tea for each of them. Agnes picked up the tea as soon as Clara poured it. All of the sudden, their father came in from outside covered in dirt and grass minutes later. “Why are you three not outside?” he asked. “We took the day off.” Clara responded. Agnes followed up with what Clara had said, “To relax.” He looked toward Grace. “Yeah, that.” She said. “Grace come in the kitchen, you two,” he said pointing at Clara and Agnes. “Go outside, would you?” 

Clara and Agnes set down their cups of tea and books. They ran outside while Grace followed her father into the kitchen. “Would you like me to drive you down to the beach so you can read in quietness?” Grace’s father asked. “No, I will just go to my room and read. Oh wait, I don’t have one!” She said angrily. “You know there is not enough room in the house for another bedroom. So unless we move you are not getting your own room.” He told Grace. “Then why don’t we just move!” Grace yelled. 

“You also know that we can’t afford another house. If we did have the money, we would have moved by now. Look, I know it is hard but you are going to have to deal with it.” He whispered in her ear.  “Oh and remember you should clean you and your sister’s room.” He said aloud, trying to make sure they were close to the door so Clara and Agnes could hear. Grace ran to her, Clara, and Agnes’s room and started to pick things up.

Whenever she mumbled things to herself, the dog next door would start barking and would not stop until it’s owner let him inside the house. Grace could not stop thinking about going back to school in a few weeks. It was almost the end of summer and there was still so much to do. But she knew they did not have enough money to do anything. Once she picked up her side of the room, she sat down in her chair, picked up a book, and started to read quietly. A little while later she heard her mom come in and sit down next to her bed. She knew she was here to talk.

“Are you okay? I heard what happened with you and your father. Do you want to talk about it?” Grace did not respond, she was too focused on her book. After a while Grace finally spoke up, ”I don’t want to talk about it. I did not mean to blow up like that and I love our house.” Her mom looked around the room. “Well did you apologize? That’s a good way to start. Now if you need more advice or anything you can come to me.” She said. She stood up carefully and walked through the door, closing it behind her. Grace stood up and left the room.

Grace, Clara, and Agnes were playing outside when they all got tired and went inside. While Agnes went to get some water, Clara and Grace sat down at the table. They sat in silence until Clara stood up and trudged to the kitchen to make sandwiches. Moments later Agnes came back with cups of water, “Where is Clara with those sandwiches, I am starving.” Grace said. “Oh she is probably just making the good kind of sandwiches. Oh and maybe she is using the good turkey!” Agnes explained. Over ten minutes later, Clara came out with three sloppy looking peanut butter sandwiches. “So much for that hope.” Grace murmured to Agnes as she picked up one of the sandwiches. 

After they ate, Clara brought the plate back into the kitchen and started to wash it, putting soap on the sponge next to the sink. “I spent all the time in the world making those sandwiches and I don’t even get a thank you.” She said softly to herself, putting more pressure on to the sponge. After she was finished she ran up the stairs and into her room with a mad face. She slammed her door and sat on her bed. “This is the worst day ever! I wish this never had happened. I would be okay if they just said thank you. Even if they said it rudely to me.” she said normally to herself. 

Agnes and Grace were sitting peacefully on the couch watching cartoons. Agnes picked up the remote from off the coffee table and changed the channel. The next channel was the weather channel called “Weather 101 Now”. The weather woman on the channel started to talk, “Today’s weather is not sunny, bright, or shiney. Large chance of weather and very, very, very cloudy. Chances of thunderstorms in most cities.” Grace groaned at sound of the weather. Agnes pressed another button and the channel changed again. Instead, it was more cartoons. Agnes placed the remote back on the coffee table, rain started to fall outside. 

As the pitter-patter of the rain got louder, Clara trudged down the stairs and sat down on a chair. “Ding Dong!” Agnes stood up and ran to the front door. She opened the door to see their Grandpa. Grandpa was always fun. He loved roller coasters, Ice cream, and crazy fun adventures. “Grandpa!” they all yelled in unison. Things were finally starting to turn around.


May 30, 2020 01:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

VJ Hamilton
22:59 Jun 03, 2020

I enjoyed how you showed family discord for many little things. I wonder what Grandpa has up his sleeve. It will be hard to do roller coasters in the rain!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Simmons
15:08 Jun 08, 2020

Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate the feedback. They did not go for a ride in the rain on a roller coaster! Where ever they went for roller coasters probably would have been closed I guess. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.