0 comments

Adventure Mystery Fantasy

By the time I stepped foot outside, the leaves were on fire with colors of fall. The last time I had seen the leaves they had been green and full of life. It's almost funny how your outlook on life changes when you have been locked away for so long.

My time away from the outside world started about a few months ago I believe, but who can tell any more. I was riding back to my little cottage in the woods after I had gone into town to help heal some of the local townspeople. Most welcomed my gift but there were some who still saw my methods to be unnatural, or of the devil. Those people are narrow minded fools, my healing magic is about as natural as it comes. I rely on nature for my potions and its grounding abilities, but I stray. As I was riding back, I was suddenly ambushed, by what I would only later come to know. It hit me so suddenly that it knocked my breath from my lungs, causing me in turn to fall from my horse and my world went black.

I awoke from my terrible fall sometime later, not knowing how much time had passed, since the room I now occupied had no windows or way to tell time. I sat shackled to a large bed, next to the bed on either side were tables one housed a pitcher of water and two glasses, the other a single lantern. On the other side of the room there was a was a chair shrouded by the shadows cast upon the dull lite room, and at the base of the bed there was a large chest with gold trimmings. Lastly, there was a large wooden door that appeared to be the only way in or out of the room.

My first thought was to yell out for help, but that was to no avail as my mouth was bound shut with some sort of fabric. I struggled against my bindings for again, as my mind rushed with questions and the need to escape this foreign place.

After what felt like an eternity alone with my vivid imagination, the door creaked open to reveal tall man with broad shoulders, a lean stature, and dark brown locks. As he strode closer to me I could tell that he was a handsome man with jade colored eyes that sparkled in the lantern light. His features soft and unassuming aside from the three scratches that ran from right side of his chin down his neck and under the color of his navy blue collared shirt. The color stood in stock contrast to his pale skin tone, he was also wearing black dress pants, and a pair of sleek black dress shoes.

"Let me start off by apologizing about the less then warm welcome, and harsh circumstances that brought you here. While I do intend to untie you, I must first explain why you are here. I feel a captivated audience is the easiest to get through to," He started in a voice that could melt butter, and if I hadn't been bound and gagged I might followed him to the ends of the Earth, but I was livid after all he had already put me through. "This is a place that the world is not ready to learn about. What you will see, if you chose to help, can be terrifying or fascinating." I just rolled my eyes hoping he would get to his point, though I doubt I would be able to trust this guy no matter how handsome he is.

"I see that I seem to be losing you, so let me skip to the point. I need your healing abilities to help our kind. I am not of this world, and neither are you. Did you ever wonder how you came to have those healing powers of yours?" I raised my eyebrow, consider my interest piqued. "That caught your interest as I assumed it would, there are many of us that have come to this place as a refuge, many with powers of varying degrees. Mine if you have yet to tell is mind reading." That should have been obvious, I mentally chided myself. I should have figured that one out sooner.

"Many of our kind are progressively getting weaker, and taking ill from being so far away from our home. From what I have seen observing from observing your abilities, I believe you are the only one that can keep our kind alive. Will you agree to help us?"

"After how you got me here and then tied me up, why should I trust what you are saying?" I thought at him.

"I do apologize for the theatrics you were never supposed to fall from your horse, unfortunately my idiot brother decide it would be a good idea to run full speed toward your mount in his excitement. Which scared the poor creature causing it to throw you from your mount."

"OK, so if that is true then when why the bounds and gag?" I asked incredulously

"Ah yes, well I didn't wanting you screaming in your wake and scaring those with super hearing, they are very sensitive. As for the bounds I didn't want you to thrash around to much and cause your head injury to suffer." He said as he walked toward me, "So if your promise not to run out of here screaming like a lunatic, I would be more then happy to unbind you and take the gag from your mouth, my dear."

I sat there staring at him for a few minutes weighing my options and his sincerity before nodding at him agreeing to his terms. "Ah splendid!" he said as he untied me and took the gag from my mouth.

After that he led me through the scrawling compound introducing me to several others like us. There were so many others from small children to the elderly. The kindness that shone through there eyes pulled at my heart and made me need to help all of them.

I agreed with my tall handsome man that explained this world to me, and began my work to heal our kind. It didn't long before this place started to feel like home. I went from one room to next getting to know each person and doing whatever I could to heal them. They were all so thankful to me, it was such a drastic change from the townspeople.

I now knew what it meant to feel like I was a part of something bigger then myself, so after months of healing and becoming part of my new world I step outside of the compound for the first time and felt a new vigor that i had only ever dreamed of having.

October 17, 2020 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.