One Golden Spike

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Write about someone whose luck is running out.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure

Carly finally graduated with her degree. She’d been a few credits shy of about 4 different majors but psychology won the lottery. Owing to a previous adventure, the twenty-four year old was also a single parent, but that had turned out fine. She’d been blessed with a kindred spirit, a mirror to her soul… 7 year old Abby. Carly and Abby were 17 years apart in age. Two optimistic children cheerily navigating a world that liked to eat dreams. Abby dreamed of becoming a ballerina. Carly dreamed of owning a horse ranch near the beach. Neither knew exactly how to get to their destinations, both fully expected to arrive.

         Carly believed herself an excellent navigator of the river of life. She’d learned to keep rowing until the next most advantageous turn in the stream appeared, By keeping a keen eye out for opportunity then praying her way into what needed to happen next, she found herself in the right place at the right time with almost predictable frequency. This, Carly called “FAITH”. The approach had worked well for the most part. Her latest job for instance. One of Carly’s favorite customers at the neighborhood restaurant where she’d waited tables, a professor, told her about an opening at the University library and offered to assist her in procuring said plum position. Cataloging books brought income, released her from the abuses of waitressing, and rewarded her with the last free credits she needed to claim the degree. The eventual problem with the library job - it was boring. Carly believed boredom was a sin, and though it would have been a reasonable thing to continue with a sure thing…. She was ready for change… a new course.

         There was exactly $2578 in her state retirement account, a small fortune that would finance the newest adventure. Carly had a plan! A friend introduced her to “The Mart”. A multi-storied wholesale warehouse where small businesses sourced inventory for retail - apparel, flowers, tools, fabrics, spices, jewelry. Jewelry… Carly would invest 2/3rds of her money in turquoise, silver and trinkets, then pack her newly acquired stock, a card table, some velvet material, and “hit the road” with Abby. They would travel like gypsies, selling to tourists at roadside stops, flea markets, anywhere that looked like a reasonable place to vend. They would sleep in the car and get rooms in cheap motels from time to time. It would be glorious fun.

         And it was. Most of the time. Then at an isolated New Mexico rest stop, after two hours of sales, a short fat New Mexico State maintenance worker trapped Carly in a dark boiler room. Abby twirled happily outside, oblivious. Carly considered her predicament and Abby’s safety. She stalled the sweating stinking man’s advances by requesting beer. Carly didn’t even drink beer, but the idea sounded reasonable to Mr. Maintenance. He left in his state truck promising a quick return. Carly waited until he was out of sight, then made a quick getaway, watching the rear view mirror for miles before her breath and heartbeat became normal. Lucky! Well the truth was, another prayer, another potential tragedy avoided. “Thanks GOD!” Carly drove in the opposite direction while Abby hand surfed out the car window, humming a sweet little tune.

         From then on, no more rest stops. The happy campers leisurely explored the hills, mountains and backroads of NM, making sales here and there in small towns and at flea markets. Carly traded for some genuine pieces from a reservation wholesaler, but they would need more inexpensive items to replenish inventory.  Carly made a decision to re-stock in Pueblo, a largish city in Southern Colorado. Driving around town the two of them discovered an oasis of a city park with verdant elms, cottonwoods, and willows. A cool restful spot with slow leisurely traffic. Selling in the park seemed a brilliant idea. Abby could play, Carly would set the Turquoise Jewelry for SALE sign out, and things would be mighty fine. And they were.

Until a semi drunk group of youthful gang bangers took interest. Initially, Carly thought everything was going well. The kids seemed friendly enough as they fingered the merchandise. One of the girls took a liking to a particularly nice ring, a native piece. The inner band had the artist’s name etched delicately into the silver and a perfect cut of turquoise set deftly on the head. Carly explained to the girl that it was a “signature piece” quoted a price, hoped for a purchase. The chola’s bright red mouth opened wide in a mocking laugh as she put the ring on. One surly boy picked up a few faux leather wallets and stuffed them in his back pockets. Others took cue, helping themselves. When Carly protested the biggest boy took out a knife, opened it up, fingered it, closed it and put it away, making sure of eye contact. He didn’t say anything. Neither did Carly. When tears started spilling and Carly chocked down a sob, the gang nonchalantly climbed back into their cars and left.  “Thanks GOD…”Carly whispered, grateful to have no injuries and about half the inventory. “Did we make enough money for a motel mommy?” Abbie queried.

“What we need Abby….”, explained Carly the next day,”Is to hit a real tourist spot, where people want to spend money!” Abby nodded to make her mother happy, having no idea what Carly was talking about. Their supply needed replenishing. Standing in a trading company, negotiating for new inventory, Carly overheard a conversation about a tourist train that made runs to a mining town including a 2 hour stop for shopping. Two runs a day, That sounded like lucrative fun. So off they went, climbing up a terrifying mountain pass on a two lane road with a thousand-foot drop. It snowed at the top, in May! Carly breathed prayers and kept navigating. Finally, they wound down into the mining town. It didn’t look like much to either of them, but there were lots of old west tourist shops. They drove around hunting for a spot to sell.  At the train station… the first point of arrival for all those moneyed tourists… was a long wooden platform with a sheltering metal roof. The building at the station was empty, boarded up, a for sale sign hanging from the door window. “Here!” They would set up right there and be the first and last option for all those tourists. It was a cold night in Silverton. The duo slept fitfully in the car, with too few blankets.

Day dawned. The sun at that elevation was slow to warm the chill. Carly noted frost on the inside of the car windows. Starting the car engine for warmth, she sat thinking about the wisdom of this venture. Pushing doubts to the banks of her thoughts, she drove to a café, bought a thermos of coffee, a cup of cocoa and two apple cinnamon muffins then drove to the station. Abby stayed in the car while Carly set up, ensuring the merchandise would catch the sunlight to draw customers in.  The first train was scheduled to arrive at 11 AM. Carly found a construction bucket, flipped it, covered it with a blanket and sat down to wait.

At 10 AM, a most curious sight appeared. Carly furrowed her brow in the bright sun, squinting to make sure she actually saw what she thought she was seeing – two tiny girls, exact replicas of each other, dragging a wooden crate between them. The girls, chattering between themselves and hadn’t yet noticed Carly, when a tall woman with shimmering blond hair to the end of her back followed them smiling. The woman was carrying a coffee and a sign, not seeming surprised at all to have company at the station.  Abby, having noticed the approaching party, jumped from the car and shyly joined her mother’s side.

“Hi there!” the woman happily greeted them, setting down the sign and reaching a hand toward Carly, fully expecting reciprocation. Carly stepped forward and shook hands. “I’m Kim, this is Kasey and Kate, my girls.” Abby leaned into her mother. The girls giggled and waved. “I see we are sharing today!” Kim took a steadied sip of coffee.

“Well…. we’re just setting up for the weekend here. We’ve been selling on the road for a while. This seemed like maybe a good spot.?” Carly hoped for confirmation, not conflict over the space.

“Oh it is, especially for us.” Kim responded with a sly smile. “Sometimes we work over by the bars, but we got hassled yesterday, so…here we are.. Safer for the girls, you know?” Carly knew.

“What do you sell?” Abby blurted out, coming unattached from her mother. “And why do you look alike?” pointing directly at the girls. Embarrassed, but assuming the second question was about the twin hood and not their size, Carly gave her daughter the look that said “be careful what comes out of your mouth next”.

“We’re twins!” said one of the girls.

“And dwarves!” volunteered the other one light heartedly.

The pertinent question still had not been answered.

Kim walked over to the crate the girls had deposited, lifting the lid. She pulled out what looked like a gigantic nail. Carly recognized it as a railroad spike, but it was sparkly golden. Kim turned and winked, handing the treasure to Carly. “They sell like hotcakes. We call ‘em ‘Lucky Spikes’. Of course the girls add mystery.” commented Kim as she held up the sign;  Lucky Golden Spikes! $5. “What’s your little girl’s name?”

“Abby. She likes being on the road with me.” Carly spoke in an almost defensive tone, realizing it only after the words had left her mouth.

“Oh I get that. My girls and I have been doing this for a while now. They love it!” putting Carly at ease. “The girls could take Abby over to the park and play with her, till the train gets here….They’d keep a good eye on her.”

“Oh, I don’t know…..” Abby was taller than both girls and it did not seem like a good idea to send 3 children to a strange park on their own.

“Please mommy? Please…” Abby whined.

“The girls are 14, they both babysit”. Kim assured her. “Besides, the playground’s right there.” pointing to a grassy spot with a slide, and decrepit merry-go-round. Carly said yet another silent prayer and relented. As the girls ran off together, Kim called out…”You all get right back here when you hear the train coming!” The three of them bounced off together, Kasey and Kate (which was which, Carly had no idea) holding Abby’s hands.

Carly and Kim sat together chatting, Kim chain smoking and Carly grateful for like-minded adult conversation. She shared her stories of near misses. Kim listened, without comment or judgement. When the first faint sounds of the narrow gauge train could be heard, the three girls came running dutifully back to their mothers.

The belching black behemoth pulled into the station, screeching then hissing to a stop. One of the twins picked up the sign as the other grabbed a handful of spikes. As the first passengers disembarked the twins began hawking the “lucky” spikes to amused tourists. Kim stood in the shadows, a watchful eye over the process of spikes and fives exchanging hands. A couple approached Carly’s table, purchasing a simple teardrop turquoise necklace at the wife’s request. Others stopped by to look, most hurried on into town. A few people told Carly and Abby they would “be back later”. Some returned to make meager purchases, most didn’t. Two hours later as the train pulled away, Carly felt dejected for the first time on the trip. Kim and Kasey and Kate on the other hand were whooping it up. They had almost completely sold out and would have to go back  for more spikes and more spray paint.

Noting Carly’s mood and having witnessed the lack of transactions, Kim tried to encourage her new acquaintance. It would be better later…. not to worry. But Carly was worried. The twins picked up on the emotion, and everyone grew quiet until Abby brightly pronounced, “Mommy, just buy a Lucky Golden Spike!” Kim seemed embarrassed and Carly started to tear up. A darkness began to shadow her spirit. Looking back, it seemed bad luck had been dogging them for a while. Was there a message there?  One of the twins thrust out a remaining spike for Carly to take. Looking over at her daughter’s expectant face, Carly reached for a five with one hand and took the phony spray painted spike with the other. Kim tried to refuse the money, but Carly insisted. The newly formed, short lived group disbanded soon after, with Carly and Abby standing on the lonely empty platform waving goodbye to Kim, Kasey and Kate as the eccentric little troop slowly disappeared from sight.

The sun was now beating down on the two sole entrepreneurs. Carly was tired. The next train would arrive soon.  She was caught mid prayer by the sound of heels on wood. An apparently angry woman was headed their way. The lady looked to be in her mid-fifties. Her boots were expensive and her jeans were new, crisp and pressed with a seam. She wore her hair in a tight bun that made her face look sharp and hard. Her coat hung down to mid-calf, western style, but Carly knew she was no cowgirl. The heavy turquoise necklace adorning the crisp white blouse was definitely not purchased at the Mart.

“What do you think you’re doing here you can’t just come into town and sell your trash to these people it reflects poorly on our city and our stores and you don’t have a business license and I can tell you right now, you won’t get one here either!” It all came out one long sentence, running together in staccato shots, like a rapidly fired gun. Carly stared at the lady for a moment, thinking, blood rising to her cheeks.

“Who are you?” was the only thing Carly could think of to say out loud.

“Stephanie Marshall. I run two of the stores here, and represent the Chamber of Commerce, and I’m here to tell you to leave… now.” gesturing her head towards the road for emphasis, waiting for a response.

“I’m not hurting anyone, and certainly not your business!” Carly retorted, voice rising, angry now, not willing to be bullied.

“You ARE hurting my business and I told you to leave. This is private property and you have no right to be on it. You are trespassing.” matching tone to Carly’s.

“It looks abandoned to me.” Carly shot back.

“It’s not abandoned, it’s for sale. The owner doesn’t live here and you will leave now or I’ll be bringing the police.” With that, Stephanie Marshall turned on her boot heels and marched back down the street.

“So much for my ‘Lucky Golden Spike’ ” muttered Carly, too mad to cry and too sad to move. She just sat there on the bucket, thinking maybe the woman was bluffing. Maybe they could work one more train arrival then leave town. Maybe they could make enough to get a motel room for the night in the next town. Maybe this had all been a disaster. A folly. Maybe she should have stayed at the library. The approach of the train made its imminent arrival known. One thing Carly did NOT want to do was reap a fine for trespassing, or worse, spend the night in jail. As the train approached, Carly began to pack up, Abby reluctantly assisted her sad mother. As the steam dissipated, the hissing died down, the doors opened, and the people excitedly spilled out, Carly kept her head down, busying herself with clearing and packing. Then something blocked out the late afternoon sun, or rather, someone. One very tall, very handsome and rugged man stood in front of Carly’s table. He’d stepped off the one car on the train that was not open air. His deep voice dripped like heavy honey as he spoke gently to Carly, “What are you doing here?” The kindness in his voice and the strength in his body put her at immediately at ease. Her story, at least the mining town part of her story, came rushing out. The man just stood there and listened. Then he smiled. Then he laughed. Carly could see from the clothes, the boots, the bolo tie… this guy was a cowboy. The real deal. Abby just stood still staring at the man, taking all of him in.

“That old bat Marshall thinks she owns the town. She’s a real bit of work. Don’t mind her. Know what? I own this building.” He gestured towards the for sale sign. “The whole damn thing, and you can sit here and sell your jewelry until hell freezes over as far as I am concerned. Just so you know though, that will come here in about six months.” and he burst out in a belly laugh, the bolo bouncing on his chest. “My name’s Tex, well my real name’s John, you should call me John.” He reached for her hand, kissing it instead of shaking, then patted her hand in a way that let her know absolutely he was a safe and honest man. Carly fluttered and blushed as Tex, or John made the same sweet gesture with Abby.

Carly didn’t stay over another day or wait for another train. She had dinner with John that same night. The next day she was on her way to California, to a rather large horse ranch where it never snows, and where she works alongside Tex…John on his thousand acres. Her horse’s name is Faith. A Lucky Golden Spike hangs on a tan stucco wall…just above their bed. Carly still says her prayers, every opportunity she can.

January 12, 2023 23:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hannah K
17:05 Jan 18, 2023

Hi Connie! Glad you joined Reedsy. I felt an immediate connection with you upon reading your bio, because I also love Jesus and am also a Chrisitian writer. Love this story! ❤️ It reminds me of the story of Ruth and Naomi. After facing hard luck (in Ruth and Naomi's case because of the deaths of their husbands instead of a teen slip up and an unplanned pregnancy,) the two women wander together in unfamiliar lands just trying to survive. Ruth and Naomi (as with this sweet mother-daughter duo) love each other and are steadfast in their comm...

Reply

Connie Kimble
18:33 Jan 18, 2023

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you. Very familiar with Ruth & Naomi. I guess you are right in some ways, John becomes Boaz. LOL Appreciate the tips and yes, I also agree with you 100% on showing not telling. Thank you again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.