2 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

https://helloworld2022.wixsite.com/hello-world/post/transville

(extended)

The town of Transville. Located at the tip of the world. Whether the north or south, I don’t know. Nobody does, for that matter.

Our ancestors didn’t bother travelling the world, while many countries were being discovered around the globe. “Why?” you would wonder? “Why?” is what I wonder too.

At the ripe old age of nine, when I was figuring out long divisions, our house caught fire. We all ran out, but alas, my dear dog didn’t get the signal. “Save him, please!” I moaned. I tried running back in but was stopped. None of the adults had the guts to go back in. It wasn’t that big of a fire, to be honest. It could have been easily distinguished. But no one came to stop it. In front of my eyes, my childhood burnt away.

The perfect word to describe the townspeople would be – Cowards. Firefighters, police officers – they’re all there for name’s sake. Because in the time of need, no one would step up. We only had books about the outside world. I knew I had to go there. I felt I was different and was told so too. I did all sorts of things that were titled “dangerous.” People were dying in my town because of the lack of bravery present. This had to change.

I took the step which horrified everyone. I was going to leave the town.

******************

"Hey, loser! Look at you! What's with your hair?" Brian shouted. I turned around and saw Maureen being bullied by him. You know the rules, I whispered to myself. You've been punished before. Don't act up. I took a deep breath. Taking my books from the locker, I started walking toward the cafeteria.

"STOP! PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP ME!" I heard Maureen shout. I cursed under my breath. No one would help her. Everyone slowly started to leave the corridor. I stopped. I turned around. "Hey, Brian! Stop it. Must you pick on someone younger than you?" I started. He looked at me and snickered. "Why, what will you do? Dumb girl. Think you're brave?" He replied. "Maureen, you can leave now." I looked at her. I could see the fear in her eyes. She smiled at me. I put my arm around her and we began to walk away from Brian. "Audacia, what do you think you're doing?" one of his minions hissed. "Leave them, they probably need to wash some dishes!" They all started laughing. "Go ahead," I whispered in Maureen's ear. Before I even realized it, my hand went straight at his nose, and I'm sure there was some blood there.

**************

"This isn't the first time this has happened. I hope you know that, Miss." The principal said to my mom. "Of course, we understand. I'll make sure to put a check on her behavior." My mum replied. "You're lucky, young lady. Since your grandma is the governor, I'll let you off this once. This is your last warning." He told me. I looked him in the eye. My hands curled into fists. I could feel the same emotion filling me up again. I was about to get my second punishment of the day. "Thank you, sir." My mom said sweetly. I couldn't believe it. "No," I said, standing up from the chair. "No! Just expel me instead! Don't keep me here just because I'm related to the governor! This is not fair. And you call this a school?" I shouted. "Audacia!" My mom shouted back. "Fine then. Audacia, you are expelled."

*************************

"......And then he expelled her." My mom had just finished re-iterating the whole scene that happened. My grandma looked at me. "I understand Maureen was getting bullied, but that does not mean you choose violence."

"Yeah? Well, Brian was being violent! Nobody said anything to him when he was in the wrong. Just because he's a boy and will be a better asset than me, right? You make the rules, Grandma. It's about time you change them!" I was agitated. My anger couldn't be helped. This town needed a miracle. A miracle that I would get.

****************

“Audacia! Must you leave? It’s a dangerous world outside. It’s safe right here, in Transville!” my mom exclaimed, hoping it would stop me from leaving. But it did the exact opposite. It motivated me to leave even more. “I’ll prove it to you all. I’ll show you that you all are cowards!” I shouted. Everyone froze and stared at me. A hand hit my face. My grandma. “How dare you? We are protecting ourselves! This is not what cowards do. If you don’t believe it, then leave!” And so, I did.

My boat first stopped in the United States of America. I bought a camera and started recording everything around me. This was the first time I had held one. I recorded firefighters, policemen, and everyone in action. I witnessed bravery. And I loved it. I joined them at times and felt so good, that I can’t even explain. I also saw women working in huge offices and felt great pride. The world was still facing inequality, but they were fighting against it. I felt even more inspired to do something.

I went back to Transville. They all were astonished to see me alive. I was a new person, a new Audacia. I gathered everyone and showed them my recordings. The town hall was filled with electricity. I wasn’t the only one. They all wanted to be brave. My grandma was blown away. I stood upon the platform and addressed them all.

“My fellow citizens. We aren’t living. We are simply existing. If we can’t value others’ lives, why do we expect others to value ours? From today on, we will change. We will cherish all lives. For Transville, it is not the land of the weak, it is the land of the brave.”

Applause. Everyone was motivated. I looked around at their faces. I knew right away things were going to be different from now on.

This was the miracle we needed.

Just like my name, I knew one thing for sure. I will be daring. I will be brave.

June 26, 2022 06:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

17:49 Jun 26, 2022

Nandini, I love this concept of the girl who is brave enough to go against the norm. I thought the story read VERY well! My only comment would be the ending felt a bit rushed. I wonder what her mother or grandmother had to say to her? Still, this was very intriguing! Thank you for another good story! 👏👏👏

Reply

Nandini Shukla
03:41 Jun 29, 2022

Hey Hannah! Thank you so much for reading! Your feedback means a lot! Yes, I honestly felt the ending seemed a bit sudden as well. Will work on it. Thank you once again! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.