3 comments

Fantasy East Asian Fiction

              Jikai no Dorobou, the 'next time thief', once a thriving legend, but after years she becomed nothing more than whispers. 


              She couldn't take it anymore. Honest life was so boring. So, she slipped silently through the shadows wearing a cloak that swayed in the wind and her favorite fox mask which reflected the moonlight. The irony didn't leave her mind since she herself was a kitsune, with a pair of fluffy ears and tails. 


              She scouted a building by afar. A magnificent feudal mansion. The structure stood tall and proud, surrounded by a thick wall made of stone and fortified with a series of wooden gates.


              Guards patrolled the outside, but with the power of illusions she made herself appear as a harmless mouse scurrying across the ground, passing by their feet.


              As she reached the wall, Jikai no Dorobou scaled them with ease, her claws gripping onto the rough surface. She crept along the roof, avoiding any patches that might creak or groan beneath her weight.


              The guards were vigilant, but they were no match for her wiles. She created phantom sounds and made the guards think they heard something in the distance, luring them away from her path.


              While Jikai no Dorobou made her way through the mansion, she suddenly heard a low growling sound coming from the hallway ahead. She froze, realizing that the sound was coming from a guard dog patrolling the area.


              "Great, fox hunter," she muttered to herself, thinking of a plan to outsmart the animal. However, as she approached the dog, she realized that her powers of illusion wouldn't work on it. The dog could see through her magic.


              "What am I going to do?" she asked herself, feeling a sense of panic rising within her. She tried to run past the dog, but it barked loudly and lunged towards her.


              Thinking quickly, Jikai no Dorobou shook her cloak in front of the dog, hoping to distract it. To her relief, the dog's playful nature took over, and it started to chase after the cloak, yapping happily.


              "Ha! I still got it," she chuckled, as she darted past the dog, leaving it barking and jumping at her cloak. 


              The guards were going to be here soon, she needs to quicker her pace.


              With a racing heart, the fox progressed to the Master Samurai's room. This was the ultimate prize, the reason she had come all this way. She heard tales of his legendary katana and knew she had to have it.


              Jikai no Dorobou arrived and reached the door peering through the keyhole. The room was dimly lit by the moon and the man inside slept soundly.


              Taking out a set of lockpicks. She swiftly worked on the lock, her nimble fingers maneuvering the picks with precision until she heard a satisfying click.


              As she slowly pushed the door open, the Master Samurai quickly got out of his bed and turned to face her, his hand already on the hilt of his katana.


              "Who dares to break into my chamber?" he bellowed, his voice full of righteous indignation. "Do you not understand the meaning of honor?"


              The fox chuckled softly behind her mask. "Honor, you say? I am but a simple thief, taking what I want when I want it. And what I want is your katana, Master Samurai."


              The samurai's eyes narrowed. "You will not have it. I will not allow a dishonorable thief to take what is rightfully mine."


              He drew his katana and took a step forward, making Jikai no Dorobou to grit her teeth and growl.


              "Ah, but you see, my samurai, I have no need for honor. I only need my wits and my skills, and they have served me well thus far. Now, I suggest you step aside and let me take what I came for."


               The kitsune's claws elongated as fur sprouted around her arm, mesmerizing the samurai. His gaze darted back and forth between his gleaming katana and the fox's confident stance. He thought he had the upper hand, but couldn't shake the feeling of being toyed with.


              Suddenly, Jikai no Dorobou spoke again, her voice taking on a mocking tone. "Oh dear, it seems you have fallen for my little trick. Do you not see the illusion I have created? The kitsune you see before you is nothing more than a phantom. And while you are distracted, I shall take your katana and be on my way."


              With that statement the samurai frantically looked around, trying to find the real kitsune.


              But it was a lie. Jikai no Dorobou merely stepped forward and reached for the katana, her fingers closing around the hilt.


              However, just as she was about to take it, the samurai spun around, his katana flashing in the dim light of the chamber. The kitsune was forced to back away, even so the blade cut through her check.


              "You will not take my katana!" the samurai growled, his eyes blazing with fury. "You will pay for your dishonorable actions with your life!"


              Jikai no Dorobou took her hand to her check and noticed that part of her mask was cut off. "Now you did it."


              She felt immense anger run through her as she faced the samurai's deadly blade. The mask was a dear present and now lies destroyed.


              She danced around the samurai, her nimble feet carrying her effortlessly across the room. The samurai swung his katana with deadly intent, but Jikai no Dorobou was always one step ahead.


              She ducked and weaved, twisted and turned, her body moving with the fluid grace of a fox to avoid the deadly blade. Abd as the samurai closed in, she began to weave her illusions.


              The first was a simple one, a flicker of movement that caught the samurai's eye. He swung his katana, but Jikai no Dorobou was already gone, replaced by his own bed.


              The samurai frowned, his eyes scanning the chamber for any sign of the elusive fox. But as he looked, Jikai no Dorobou struck again.


              This time, her illusion was more complex. She created a shadowy double of herself, a mirror image that mimicked her every move. The samurai hesitated, unsure which of the two foxes was real.


              Jikai no Dorobou took advantage of his confusion, darting in to strike. But her opponent was too quick, his katana flashing through the air to block her blow.


              The samurai was not amused with the fox trickery and placed himself in a divine stance, one worthy of a master. It was clear, he was preparing to finish the fight.


              Jikai no Dorobou knew her predicament. None was ever capable of defeating the master.


              But then, she had an idea. She summoned one final illusion, creating a massive gust of wind that blew through the chamber.


              The samurai was thrown off balance, and Jikai no Dorobou saw her chance. With a swift strike, she disarmed the samurai, sending his katana clattering to the ground. He stumbled backwards, his eyes widening in shock.


              Jikai no Dorobou held up the katana, admiring its beauty. "A fine weapon," she murmured. "But now it belongs to me."


              With her opponent stunned she disappeared into the shadows, leaving ghostly clucks which reverberated in the samurai's head. “And you'll pay a lot more than a trivial katana to compensate for that mask.”



              Jikai no Dorobou walked down the dark road, the katana in her hand feeling unnaturally heavier. She glanced up at the moon, its pale light casting long shadows on the ground.


              For a moment, she wondered if it had all been worth it. The thrill of the theft, the rush of adrenaline as she outwitted the Master Samurai. Was it all worth the risk?


              The moon shone in the sky and Jikai no Dorobou knew that she would have to explain her actions to her wife. She had promised to give up her life of thievery, to settle down and live a peaceful life. But here she was, with a stolen katana in her hand and guilt weighing heavily on her conscience.


              Even worse, that beautiful fox mask was given by her beloved. She had promised to wear it only for special occasions, to honor her wife's love and trust.


              How would she explain it all to her wife? Would she understand? Would she forgive her? Would she ever be trusted again?


              “I am a terrible spouse, am I not?” She sighed. “It's fine. Going forward, I will do my best to earn her trust back.” With a renewed sense of pupose, Jikai no Dorobou continued down the road, ready to face whatever lay ahead.



March 16, 2023 12:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

07:43 Mar 23, 2023

Hi Renarde. Congratulations on submitting your first story here! There is a lot that is very commendable about this story, but I'm sorry to say that you're rather let down by not proof-reading it enough! In fact, there are some errors that make me wonder if English is a second language for you? It's strange - you have a few very vivid and mature turns-of-phrase, but also many elementary spelling/grammar/syntax errors. Overall, the story itself has the germs of a very compelling read to it, and there are many moments when I was reading i...

Reply

Renarde Mignon
10:23 Mar 23, 2023

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do my best. And in case you wonder, I'm Brazilian.

Reply

05:21 Mar 24, 2023

If you're referring to a nationality you use a capital letter, i.e. "Brazilian." You only use a small letter if you're referring to a, hmm hmm, hairstyle... :-D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.