The Protest of Romance Against the Commonplace of Life

Submitted into Contest #25 in response to: Write a short story about someone reflecting on their previous year's resolutions.... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday

As far back as anyone can remember, there was the three of us.

Of course, there were others — friends, relatives, enemies, confederates, liars and parasites. But through it all, we remained untouched, unsullied and unconcerned.

My main job was to not favour one over the other — a clear course to disaster.

They both wanted me, and the feeling was mutual, but to fall in love with one more than the other would pull our world apart.

I’d loved them both — not at the same time, we were too young to be that creative or that unselfish. Our carnal adventures were played out over the raging fire of adolescence. We could not; would not see any further than our triumvirate.


Each new year I make the same promise to myself -- not exactly a resolution, more of a plea to the universe. It falls to me, a woman, as it so often does, to hold our friendship together.

When I was younger, I took the whole process of 'resolutions' very seriously. My diary was full of 'how long could I hold on'. 

The day the resolution was broken was circled in red. A scarlet reminder of my lack of discipline. 

There were a few victories along the way, most notably my promise not to let the boys steal apples from Mr Norris' orchard. This promise was difficult to achieve, and it took all my feminine wiles. 

My reward was a green circle scribbled around the words, minutes before the next new year arrived.


I’m younger in years but older and wiser. 

I put a gentle stop to our naked activities, and it has been that way ever since — not an easy feat.

We are closer than family, fiercely loyal and dangerous to cross, as certain people have found out.

There are ‘sticks and stones’ to deal with from time to time, but we’ve heard all the jealous jibes, and they roll off us before they even make contact.

The concept of ‘friends forever’ seems to be a belief of the young. Life pulls friendships apart, but our goal is to be the exception.

Small cracks are beginning to show as our careers begin to accelerate and war looms, but for now, we are here together, and the sun is shining, and the breeze is cool.

If yesterday is a foreign land then tomorrow is a promise never fulfilled — give me today every time. 

January 19, 2020 05:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.