6 comments

Bedtime Fiction Kids

Strange, how bearing such a famous name can bring such hardship in one’s life. Take Gilbert, for instance. He was just an ordinary child, like you or me, but what made him special was his last name, Einstein.

Since Gilbert could remember, his mother and father told him stories about how brilliant Albert Einstein was and how he was like him. Though he wasn’t related to the great Einstein, Gilbert was fascinated by him, and called him Uncle Albert. Day after day, he would corner his mother or father and ask as many scientific questions a child could think of.

“What is light? How fast does light go? Can we travel through time?” And on it went, until the day he entered Kindergarten.

It was a memorable day for Gilbert. His shoes were double tied, and he was sporting a new set of clothes. The very first morning of kindergarten, he marched in the classroom, and was ready to show off his knowledge to the teacher. Without hesitating, he sat in the front row. There was no way he was going to get lost in the crowd.

A moment later, the teacher entered the classroom and took attendance. “Eric Brown,” she called out.

A voice called out from the back, “Here.”

After checking off his name, she asked, “Could you spell your first name for me?”

“E-R-I-C” he answered back.

“Thank you.” She went to the next name. “Gilbert Einstein.”

As a couple of children snickered, he answered, “Here, ma’am.”

“Can you spell your first name for me?”

For a moment, Gilbert remained silent, and then he stammered out, “G-, uhm…”

A second voice burst out from the back of the classroom. “Gee Einstein, can’t you spell your first name?”

The class broke out in laughter and the teacher tried to quiet them down. “That’s enough, children.” Eventually, the voices died down, and then she spoke to Gilbert. “Don’t worry, Gilbert. We’ll work on spelling your name as well as some other words.” Oh, the shame Gilbert felt as the students watched the teacher coddle him.

It seemed like an eternity before the teacher finished taking attendance and when it was finally over, she began to write on the blackboard. As quick as she turned her head away from the class, a boy sitting right behind Gilbert kicked his chair and whispered, “Gee Einstein, you’re a genius.”

Never in his life, did Gilbert want to run away, but he knew there were no take-me-backs or any means of escape. So, from that moment on, he was branded with the name Gee Einstein.

For the rest of the day, it seemed as if everyone in the class was watching and waiting for Gilbert to make any mistake. If he colored outside the lines of a drawing, a child would shout, “Gee Einstein, you aren’t much of an artist, are you?” or if he accidently bumped into a girl, she would say, “Gee Einstein, watch where you’re going.” So, it went, until he finally retreated through the front door of his house.

As soon as the door closed behind him, he ran to his room and began to cry.

Why me, he wailed to himself. Why do I have to be stuck with a name like Einstein?

He glared at the poster on his wall, of a wide-eyed Einstein sticking his tongue out.

With the words, “What’s so funny?” flying out of his mouth, he yanked the poster from the wall and threw it on the floor.

His eyes flooded with tears. Wanting to hide his shame, Gilbert jumped in his bed, and wiped his face with the pillow. There, he lied in turmoil, until exhaustion finally overtook him. Then, he fell asleep and began to dream.

Gilbert’s dream began with him standing in front of a door. As he turned the knob and opened the door, he discovered a table, filled with laboratory equipment, in the middle of a room and behind it was a man hidden by stacks of notes.

The man must have heard Gilbert, for he lifted his head to see who was there. As he did, Gilbert recognized him immediately. It was Albert Einstein.

“My dear, nephew,” Einstein replied. “What brings you here to visit your uncle Albert?”

Before he could stop himself, Gilbert found himself blabbering, “I hate my name, or should I say, I hate your name. Just because I couldn’t spell Gilbert, everyone was picking on me. Gee Einstein this and Gee Einstein that. I’m trapped and I can’t do anything about it.”

The expression on Einstein’s face couldn’t have been more heartbreaking. “I’m so sorry, but it looks to me we have more in common than our names. You see, I had no real friends in school either and you know why? I was lousy in math. Can you believe it? Me, the world’s most renown scientist, had trouble adding numbers together. I had a tough time in school, but I decided it wouldn’t define me. Instead, I ignored those bullies, worked on my math, and look where it got me. You, Gilbert, can do the same thing.” With that, Einstein returned to his notes and the lab vanished into the air.

The touch of a moist pillow to Gilbert’s face told him he was awake. When he opened his eyes, he smiled, discovering his despair was replaced by hope.

I can do this, he thought. He jumped out of bed to recover the poster on the floor, and moment later, it was taped back on the wall. Stick your tongue out at me all you want, Uncle Albert. I got this covered.

Gilbert dashed to the kitchen to hug his mother. “I love you, Mom,” was all he said.

It was enough for her. “I love you too, Gilbert.” But Gilbert wouldn’t let go of her. “Are you alright?”

Clutching at his mother’s leg, he exclaimed, “I am now.” He looked up at her, with loving eyes. “Could you do me a favor?”

“I’d be glad to, dear. What is it?”

“Could you teach me to spell my name?”

A smile spread across her face. “Of course, I will, and any others words we can think of.”

Grabbing his mother hand, he led her to the table. “Let’s get started now.” So, for the rest of the afternoon, Gilbert was in school again.

That evening, while he laid in bed, Gilbert thought, I’m so glad I have the name Einstein. If I didn’t, I may never know what it’s like to have challenging times in my life. But now, I know I can overcome them and learn to move on. Thank you, Uncle Albert, for teaching me this.

Gilbert fell asleep and dreamed of a laboratory, and behind a table full of laboratory equipment, was an old man looking at his notes.

March 16, 2022 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Story Time
16:27 Mar 23, 2022

I think sometimes when people write young characters they undervalue their experience and you did the exact opposite. You really created such a fully-fleshed out individual, Howard. Great job.

Reply

Howard Seeley
16:41 Mar 23, 2022

Thanks for your kind words. Writing a children's book was new to me, so I'm glad to see I'm heading in the right direction for this genre.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
00:46 Mar 21, 2022

Wow those are some brutal kindergartners! 😂 I’m glad he learned to spell his name. Living up to a name like Einstein would be intimidating. I enjoyed this story. Thanks for submitting it!

Reply

Howard Seeley
03:06 Mar 21, 2022

Thank you for your kind response. Yes, kindergarteners can be very cruel. It's easy for me to remember, since I was on the receiving end. But thanks to the culmination of all my life experiences, good and not so good, I am the person who I am today. Stay tune. Gee Einstein will be featured in my next story.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
23:36 Mar 21, 2022

I look forward to reading it😀

Reply

Howard Seeley
22:49 Mar 22, 2022

I just posted it. May be a few tweaks in between now and Saturday, but let's see.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.