2 comments

Fantasy Holiday Romance

By the time Caotegan stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. Not actual fire, mind you; the color of fire. The fall had arrived seemingly overnight and brought with it a changing of the colors of the valley. Where before the valley was carpeted in hues of green treetops, now those same treetops had an orange covering to them. The changing of the season brought cooler weather as well. Summer was fine, but Caotegan enjoyed the cooler weather.


This also brought about the Festival of Tribute, where vendors far and wide would venture to Thundervale, bringing their wares for sell and trade. The valley below would soon see more travelers heading to the town for the festival.


Caotegan headed back into his mountainside retreat, grabbed his traveler’s pack, which he had packed the night before, and his walking staff, and headed back out into the sun, took one more glance around, and with a nod and spring in his step, headed down the mountain path that would take him into the valley and to the town and the center, Thundervale.


It took nearly most of the day to reach the town gates of Thundervale. As Caotegan got closer to the gates, more and more people were walking along the main road to get to the festival. Most were vendors with their guards, but here and there, he could spot various travelers, such as him, wanting to participate in the celebrations, and to get to the town and secure a room at the various inns before they became full.


After a cursory inspection at the gates, he strode into the town and was amazed at all the vendors and crowd. Even though he had been coming here for this every year, his senses were overloaded with the noise and smells. He preferred his mountainside home and isolation, but the need for social contact was important. It allowed him to get caught up on the happenings of the world outside the valley and his own knowledge. Plus, he hated to admit it, but sometimes he did miss being around people.


He walked along the main thoroughfare listening as the vendors hawked their wares, and even inspected some of the stands. He made his way toward The Boar's Head Tavern. He has stayed here before and it was somewhat reputable. The inn was a sturdy barn, converted into a tavern with rooms above for guests. The kitchen produced good food, and the ale was a dark, sweet, stout stock brewed locally by Rakaurn, the owner and barkeep. The sign hanging out front was, of course, a boar head, carved in dark oak. He pushed his way through the doorway and into the tavern. There was already several tables full of groups, drinking, eating, and having a good time while listening to a bard in the corner playing his lute and singing what sounded like “Farmer O’Brien’s Daughter”, a great bawdy song.


He found a small table in the corner still unoccupied and sat down. The maid came by and he ordered the local ale and bowl of their stew. That would hold his growling stomach over until the festival started later in the day. He also acquired the use of a room for the night, as he didn’t plan on heading back home until tomorrow and needed a place to retire after tonight’s celebrations. As he sat and enjoyed the stew, ale, and songs of the bard, he soaked in the atmosphere of the bar, and without realizing it, a few hours had passed and a few more ale’s had been drank. He glanced out at the darkening sky and decided it was time to make his way to the stage that was set up in the center of the town. He threw down some coins to pay for the meal, and a bit more as thanks to the maid for the fine service and smiles. He headed back out into the twilight, and followed the flow of people to the center of town and to witness the start of the festival.


He, along with the rest of the crowd were packed around a stage erected in the center of town. Usually this was for Jentale, the Mayor to hold public town meetings and whatnot, but tonight, the local priest, Father Kaytiel, was on the platform as well, dressed in all his regal attire. Looking around, Caotegan saw that the trees that surrounded the outskirts of the meeting area had not yet fully changed to the bright orange, but was certain that in a few more days, they would be changing orange. He looked back as Jentale worked on quieting the crowd in order to start the opening ceremonies for the festival. There were some loud jeering toward him, but he ignored it and soon the crowd settled down enough for the Mayor to be heard.


Jentale then spoke. “Friends and neighbors, and those that made the trip today to help us celebrate the Festival of Tribute, thank you for coming. At this time of year, when Summer transitions into Fall, we come together to celebrate the changing of the seasons, and to give thanks to not only each other, but to that of the Gods and of Nature. We have had a bountiful year and our warehouses are stocked for the coming Winter. Now, as we begin our celebration, let me have Father Kaytiel for our opening blessing commencement.”


Father Kaytiel stepped up to the front of the platform and with hands lifted high to the sky, began his blessing. “Gods and Nature, we give our thanks for the fruitful harvests and protection that you grant us. We are blessed to have such a great town and wonderful farms that we are provided through hard work and knowledge that ours are the protected children of the Gods. Let our celebration give praise and tribute to the Gods and Nature. Let us take pleasure in a great year, and a respite from the toiling of the lands and harvest to relax in the company of friends and neighbors.” As he lowered his hands, there was a loud cheering from the assembled crowd, and with that the Festival of Tribute began!


Later that night, or one could say early the next morning, Caotegan made his way to his room at The Boar’s Head. The celebration was still in full swing but he had reached his limit of drink, dancing, and celebration. As he entered into the tavern, Manerva, the maid from earlier was sitting at one of the tables, listening to the music, and enjoying a mug of ale. She had seemed friendly enough before, and so walked over and stood next to the table.


“Mind if I join you?” he inquired. Manerva looked over, smiled, and shrugged. Then she nodded over at the chair. “I don’t see why not. Your tip is paying for my ale tonight”. Caotegan sat down and was delivered a mug of his own ale. They made some small talk, trading stories of what they had done that night. Eventually, Caotegan tried to suppress a yawn but couldn't.


He looked apologetically to Manerva. “Sorry for the yawn. You’re not boring me at all, I enjoy your company. It’s just been a long day.” Manerva looked to him and said, “Why yes. It has been. Why don’t we call it a night then.” She smiled, and then as they both got up, locked her arm in his, and walked arm in arm with him to his room. “Well then,” he said. “Thank you for the escort to the room. Nothing like ending the night with a lovely lass like you walking me to my room.” She smiled at him, leaned in and gave him a kiss. “Who said I was just walking you to your room.” He looked stunned for a brief second, but then as he opened his door for them, said “who indeed.” 

October 09, 2020 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Writ Er
14:20 Oct 17, 2020

Way to go Caotegan! I think in the next chapter we find out Manerva is his wife and that's how they role play. Your story had a sense of whimsy but also felt contemporary, nicely done.

Reply

Scott McHenry
13:00 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you for reading my story and your insight, Marcella. I like the role play angle on that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2024-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.