2 comments

Fiction Suspense Inspirational

The day has arrived. World leaders have been planning on this for the past twenty years. As the only intelligent species on this planet, we could not save Earth. The human race failed and big time. We became our own worst enemy.

   By 2040, the world population had reached a staggering ten billion. Population is out of control. To supply food to the entire planet has become difficult. We are seeing more and more of typhoons, hurricanes, tsunamis, tornadoes, whirlpools, earthquakes, extreme temperature fluctuations, the rise of sea levels, more and more pandemics, less and less of clean air and the icebergs at both poles melting at an alarming rate…

  Greed, power, consumerism, capitalism, and me-and-only-me attitude killed our once beautiful planet. I never thought from my living days that I was going to witness these events.

   The majority of the countries have started to work on a contingency plan. That plan is not any plan. The plan is to create an exodus. Yes. An exodus. The countdown has begun and people are signing up. The fee? A large sum of $1,000,000 US per person to leave this planet to go to Earth 980. A newly found planet that has similar air composition and fertile soil to start a new life for human beings. Water has been found. Tolerable temperature ranges.  You cannot bring anything with you. You must leave your belongings. This is a one-way ticket.

   The day has arrived. The first space shuttle will be launched today, August 6th, 2060. First batch of humans leaving Earth. I am eighty-five years old. I had my time. I am certainly not paying a million bucks for a one-year journey in space at my age. I was born here in the United States of America and I will die on the American soil. From the scientific community, life as we know on Earth will be unbearable soon. Very soon. By 2071 it is said. Anyone who thinks that life is over here, is young, fit, and has that required amount of money, then likely he or she will embark into this space journey. Risk it all for a new life on Earth 980. A planet that was discovered in 2030.

Never in my lifetime on this planet, I had expected to witness such an event. It is sad. I am angry, furious, stressed, hopeless…the things we did to our beautiful planet. I would say in the last 250 years, since the start of the Industrial Revolution, the doomsdays clock had started. It was matter of time. The human race paid the price from then till today. Generation after generation, we only wanted to use more goods, services, and food so instantly, in a high volume, without considering the impact on the nature. We had no respect to our own human race, to the animal kingdom, to the ecosystems…

   We are at 14 billion souls on this 4.5-billion-year-old planet. The ones that will remain here, will try to their best to survive. I am hoping that we can somehow reverse the process, undo, all the negative actions. Is that possible now? If yes, I might not be here to witness it. If we can maybe get half of the population to the new planet? That can take years and, that can happen only if Earth 980 is compatible to the human race.

   For the first group of people headed to this new Earth, world leaders have decided that scientists from all fields be allowed to enter this journey first. Engineers, geologists, chemists, physicists, astronomers, doctors, surgeons, nurses, biologists, etc. Anyone with extensive background in natural sciences. That will be the group of people to assess, initiate, colonize this new planet.

   We would hope also, that if there is intelligence life to be found, that we can get help from them. There is no need to starting war. We need help, not to fight. If there is no other intelligent life, then we will be the first ones to start colonizing and building life on Earth 980. 

Watching this launch on my tablet, in my home, in Denver Colorado, is a historic moment but also a sad one. Some earthlings are about to leave us to risk to find a new life in an unknown place. It is not an exploration mission. This is a survival mission. Protect the human race.

   Being in the Mile Hight City, I feel a little lucky. The sea has not reached my area. Most of the states located on the east and west coast, are caught up by water. A good ten meters at least covered by water where it used to be land. Everyday, the ocean seems expanding. When will my house be submerged? No clue. But…I hope I will be dead by then before I live through it.

   I made a fortune with Bitcoin. I did extremely well. I have four kids who all of them have four kids each. I decided that a huge part of my fortune will go to me kids and grandkids. My wife passed away five years ago due to breast cancer. She was the love of my life. Without her, life has no real meaning anymore. I also know, she would want me to fight till my last breath. I bought off all the houses and land of my kids. With the money I gifted them, they will all soon leave for Earth 980 but not today. In about ten years. They have booked their seats. I am going to try my best to take care of my health, to survive and keep an eye on their properties. In case if they return back from the new planet.

   Only think I can do now…is pray for our Mother Earth. Pray to nature. Pray to the Creator. Pray to the Universe. Spare us. Give us one more chance. For now, we must continue to look for elsewhere, like Earth 980, and maybe other planets, where the humans can establish themselves and settle there. But…to remember to not repeat our mistakes from the past 250 years…

February 12, 2021 16:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ana Lynn
16:03 Feb 18, 2021

Yes, please show more. Good scene building, but what does life on Earth really look like? I like the storyteller, but want to know about some type of family dynamic with his children who are planning to leave. The futuristic event of evacuating Earth is a great opener.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nina Chyll
11:20 Feb 18, 2021

I think the balance of showing-telling in the story is a little off. The reader is given many dry facts but little in terms of how it makes the narrator feel. I personally would love a lot more on the space exploration mission. It's a huge event and a great opportunity to flex those science-fiction muscles!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.