We Had Another Sister

Submitted into Contest #9 in response to: Write a story that focuses on the relationship between siblings.... view prompt

0 comments

General

We had another sister, my sister Rosie and me. She was the youngest, born 3 years after Rosie and 5 years after me. I remember the day they brought her home, my second little sister. She was a happy baby, always smiling, bright, and cheerful. Her name was Mary-Jane. I never much liked my other sister, for she was always there. Whenever Rosie and I would play, no doubt she would appear. Mother said we had to include her because she was our sister too. I often wished it was just Rosie and me again. Like it used to be. Like it should be. I didn’t like having Mary-Jane around, our annoying little shadow. Our games were only made for two. 

We had another sister with dark auburn hair. Naturally curly, glossy and thick, just like our mother’s. Strangers would make a fuss of her, the family loved it too. Rosie chopped it off one night, pretending to play a game. Each snip was out of spite, tired of feeling jealous. We told our mother she did it herself and the bathroom scissors were moved. Her hair grew back in no time at all, just as thick and curly. That made Rosie sad, for her hair was thin and straight. She wanted to look like our mother too. To me she was perfect, my sister who I loved very much. I didn’t like seeing my sister sad. Mary-Jane made me feel mad. 

We had another sister who was extremely clever. Her teachers sang her praises, she was the top of her class. Our parents said she was gifted and destined to go far. Her talents were never-ending, her trophies lined the halls. Mother and father were very proud, always showing them off. Rosie hated the rows of silver and gold, the medals, the rosettes, so I hated them too. I was the oldest, but she was my sister and we shared everything together. We shared our hatred too. 

We had another sister, she loved to play hide and seek. it was the only game we would play with her, for it kept her out of our way. She thought she was the best at hiding, never being found. In truth we were never seeking, we preferred to have the peace. That way we could play together, just Rosie and me again and our games made for two. We would often leave her for hours before she eventually emerged. Mother discovered the truth one day and told us off for being cruel. Rosie thought it was funny, and we laughed about it afterwards. Mary-Jane never saw the funny side, she was boring like that. We weren’t allowed to play hide and seek anymore. 

We had another sister who went away for a while. Father told the neighbours lies and mother packed up her things. Carefully placed in boxes to keep safe, the trophies are in there too, neatly stored in her locked room that we weren’t allowed to go in. ‘She’s gone to study at a private school.’ The lie we were told to tell. No one suspected otherwise, we were all very good at lying. Rosie and I liked keeping secrets, but never from each other. Father said we must keep the truth buried forever. We promised we always would.

We had another sister. I strangely miss her now. She wasn’t the worst little sister to have, but I already had one and I loved Rosie more. I didn’t need another sister. It was better when we were alone, just us and no one else. We could play happily in peace, never bothered or annoyed. We didn’t need another sister to spoil all of our fun, to always be there. The time came where our patience ran out. We decided to team up together, one night when our parents were out, and we made a secret pact. Mary-Jane was becoming a nuisance, we didn’t need her around. We already had each other, a sister that we loved, one sister would always be enough. So Mary-Jane had to go.

We had another sister, our parents loved very much. We told them it was an accident, that we shouldn’t have been left alone. Mother couldn’t stop crying, she locked herself in her room, but father had to be strong. He was busy in the garden that night, digging a great big hole and wouldn’t let us go out. Rosie watched from the window, not wanting to miss a thing. Constantly keeping me updated, she was more courageous than I. Her expression was hard to read, cold and unaffected by what had happened. She stayed at the window for most of the night, waiting up for as long as father did, until the sun began to rise. By morning it was all over as if nothing had ever happened. Rosie and I felt closer now, our sisterly bond had changed. We were stronger than ever and nothing could ever come between us after that. Now we had a secret we shared.

We had another sister, we think about all the time. She’s buried in the garden now, forever a little girl. Her auburn curls will never fade, always thick and glossy. Her love for hide and seek remains, she’s hiding forever now. Her trophies and accomplishments are still in her room, the door is occasionally unlocked. Our parents can never leave that house or our secret could be discovered. Father says the grass will grow back and mother doesn’t cry as much anymore. Rosie is a lot happier and that makes me feel glad. All I ever wanted to see my sister happy. It was worth it in the end. 

Rosie and I have each other, it’s just her and me again. We’re back to how we used to be, and that is how it should stay. Now there is no one to spoil our fun, no sibling we have to include. We never wanted another sister, we like it better this way. We had another sister but there was only ever enough room for two. 

October 03, 2019 19:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.