0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

Derrick:

Stepping out of the diner, the smell of grease had me wondering when I would stop smelling like a kitchen. Untying my wild mop of hair, my eyes scanned the parking lot for my new car. Where did it go? Wiping my palms on my chef’s pants, a crunching noise had me spinning on my heels. Shadowy hands ripped me back, a rotten stench nauseating me. Landing roughly, fog curled off the dark dirt. Dead trees twisted into the sky, the scarlet moon sending chills up my spine. Smelling my breath, there was no alcohol on it. Scratching my head as I rose to my feet, something seemed off about it all. Strange noises echoed around me, every muscle of my body tensed up. Shadows darted around me, a set of claws heading for my chest. Someone knocked me to the dirt, a flurry of black ribbons knocking a rotting man to the ground. Nausea wracked my body, the maggots squirming under his gray skin had my dinner flying up my throat. Stringy gray hair stuck out of his skull, his milky eyes falling back on me. A filthy suit draped off of a skeleton, a scythe swinging down towards the freak’s soul. Cutting through his bones with ease, the hooded figure proceeded to cut the arms and legs off with ease. Dropping the body parts into a glowing leather bag, a cold breeze knocked the hood off. A pregnant Lily flicked the blood off of her face, the moonlight shone bright enough to expose her scarlet sweatshirt dress. Leaning against a tree, her arms folded across her ample chest. 

“How the hell did you end up down here anyway?” She queried with a twinkle in her eyes, her hands resting on her bump. The bag shook her hands, a couple of bangs against the trees silencing the moans. Rising casually to her feet, the glowing symbols on the bag had captured my attention.

“This is a Celtic bag. My dear friend gave me one and boy did it make my job easier.” She continued with her real smile, her hand hovering in front of my face. “I suppose there is no hiding it anymore. I send rotting souls to Hell. So much fun!” The sarcasm in the last sentence had me worried about her, her brow cocking at me not accepting her hand yet. Curling my fingers around hers, one yank hand me on my feet. Walking next to me, so many questions rested on the tip of my tongue. Her pregnancy was common knowledge in the town, most of them hating on her. Horrid rumors of her murdering her aunt and uncle had their hatred swelling tenfold, my boss joining in on the irritating insults being passed around. Guilt ate at me, the reason I was leaving work so early was due my quitting.

“I quit my job today!” I blurted out awkwardly, my head bowing in shame. “People kept saying the worst shit about you!” A fit of laughter burst from her lips, her hand covering her mouth. Unsure of how to respond, that reaction was the last one I had expected. Flashing me a bright smile, fangs hung over her bottom lip.

“If you need a job, work for me. The deli store is mine after all.” She offered sincerely, smiling brokenly to herself. “Screw them. For years they fucked up my life and I don’t give a shit about what they say about me.” The money would be nice but could she handle me being around all the time. What I said hurt her, her body language couldn’t hide the emotional blow I had dealt. 

“It’s not okay. Come on, you look like someone shot you.” I commented sternly, grabbing her by the shoulders. Silent tears stained her cheeks, a strange numbness came over her face. The color drained from her cheeks, her hands resting on my chest. Sinking to her knees, an invisible force knocked her out. Panic twisted my features, her fingers gripping her scythe tightly. Lightning danced across the sky, Lucifer appeared behind her. Not noticing me yet, a red door appeared behind him. Scooping up the bag, a snap of his fingers had the door creaking open. Screams had my ears bleeding, my hands cupping my ears. Dumping the contents of the bag in, relief washed over me at the screams dying down the moment he slammed the door shut. Scooping her up in his arms, his eyes snapped over to me. A low growl rumbled in his throat, his waves floating up. 

“What the hell are you doing in the purgatory! Why isn’t Death doing her damn job!” He roared thunderously, the color draining from my face. Her hair grazed his scarlet velvet suit, sheer terror preventing me from speaking. Every attempt had my lips clamping shut, his ruby eyes glowing brighter. Stumbling back, a black ribbon snaked around my body. Digging my heels in, dirt flew up with every yank towards him. Losing my balance, every breath grew shorter. Clammy sweat drenched my skin, his fingers curling around my throat. 

“You are the bastard that hit her parents.” He mused venomously, air becoming a rare commodity real quick. Her hand snatching his wrist ended his murderous intentions, her death glare matching his. Aiming it in his direction, he dropped me. Collapsing into a heap, every gasp had my nails digging into the dirt. Arguing loud enough for me to hear, the word father had my face paling further. Terror rounded my eyes, both of them glancing over at me with matching smiles. Creepy, I thought to myself. Grinning back nervously at them, the dirt crunched the moment he set her down. 

“Did you say dad? Like, Lucifer is your father?” I stammered between shortening gasps, a few branches catching my eyes. Damn, I couldn’t escape even if I wanted to. 

“Yep.” She uttered simply, helping me to my feet. “My father is Lucifer, Uncle Mike is another fallen angel. I know Life, Death and the guardian of time itself. I am a reaper of sorts and my house has a couple living with me. Technically, I am a fallen angel and Matty is in fact a demon. Boomer is a hellhound and what else?” Surprise replaced the horror, her confession stealing away any words I could have ever spoken. 

“If you hate me, then you can leave.” She continued with an unexpected briskness, her father being taken aback as me. “Nobody must know about what I told you, ‘kay.” Nodding my head, this was too much to take in. Swallowing the lump in my throat, fresh tears stained her cheeks. Swaying slightly, surprise dimmed to deep worry at her collapsing into my arms. Lucifer scooped her up, his fingers snapping. Ribbons stole me away to my shitty apartment, the sad white walls taunting me. Laying her down on my boring leather couch, he took it all in with a disappointed scoff.

“Great place you have here.” He remarked with a wicked grin, Lily curling into a ball. Debating on risking my life for my pride or choosing to live with no dignity, his hand lifted into the air before I could protest. Waiting patiently to hear him out, his stance took that of a mob boss. Tapping his foot incessantly, his footfalls circled me like a hunter with its prey. Parting my lips to speak, his finger wagging stopped me. 

“How did you meet? Why was she offering you a job?” He interrogated intensely, his feet stopping in front of me. Folding his arm across his chest, a smile crept across my face involuntarily. Cupping my mouth, curiosity twinkled in his eyes. Wiping his mouth with his palm, answers were in order. 

“She caught me at their damn headstones and talked it out with me.” I explained calmly, my own fingers drumming the sides of my legs. “As for the job thing, I quit because that fucking town calls her a murderer. Listen up, I didn’t plan on taking her up on her of-” Placing his palm in the air, frustration brewed in my eyes. He could be the pope and I would still be annoyed at the constant interruptions. 

“Work for her. Truth be told, her heart would break if you didn’t take the position.” He spoke bluntly, my lips pressing into a thin line. “If you killed my parents, six feet of dirt would be covering your ass.” Straightening my back, his not so subtle threat didn’t need to be spoken. 

“You made that perfectly clear.” I spat back hotly, a sly grin dancing across his lips. “Guilt destroys me everyday. Prison is better than being out here ninety percent of the damn time! Then she helps me out of the fucking blue! No one hates me more than I hate myself! When my time comes, Hell can have me.” Huffing after my rant, Lucifer was surprisingly easy to talk to. Sitting me down at my worn dining room table, his head shook. Clicking his tongue, he leaned onto his hands. 

“You are lined up to go to Heaven. Call it a little favor from Lily.” He admitted freely, his softening gaze falling on me. “She has a pension for redemption. We don’t always see eye to eye but a father can only let his daughter run with her dream.” Seeing this side of him made me wonder where the dark opinions of him came from, Lily crying out for a second in her sleep. Watching her with a fatherly gaze, it was almost as if he was made for the role. 

“Pardon me for prying but why didn’t you help raise her earlier?” I queried with a crooked grin, his eyes rolling with his natural smile. The answer lay in his reaction, no words needing to be exchanged between us. Lily was a gift to the woman he loved, their fates doomed to never intertwine. Showing me recent pictures of them, pride glistened in his eyes. Thankful that life had given us a bit of joy, the glass shattering had all of us leaping to our feet. A shadowy figure darted towards a groggy Lily, a silver dagger glistening in the pale moonlight. Leaping in front of her, the dagger slid into my neck. Blood spurted uncontrollably, my body hitting the floor. Horror rounded her eyes, ruby blood pooling around my face. Black ribbons smashed the bastard out the window, Lily collapsing to her knees. Dragging me onto her lap, her tears splashed onto my face. Apologizing profusely, her words faded in and out. Blurs covered her face, her fangs extending over her lips. Choking on my blood, a coughing fit painted my cheeks. Piercing my tender flesh, her gulps had my fingers digging into the cheap dark carpet. Releasing me from her bite, the pressure of her body increased my fear. Covering my mouth, my eyes narrowed in her direction. Fiery agony coursed through my veins, screams exploding into her palm. Tears mixed with the blood pouring from my eyes, Lucifer doubling in the dark corner. The floor began to spin, a rough darkness stealing me away.  

Stirring awake at her deli shop, Lily rushed over to me. Getting on her knees, her palms pressed together. Apologizing nonstop, ivory hair and ruby eyes reflected back up at me. Every noise could be heard, my now pointed ears pinning back. Matty marched in with immense energy following him, a pensive grimace lingering on my lips. Lily popped to her feet, his harsh snarl softening at the sight of her loud weeps. 

“He took a deadly strike for me and I didn’t know what to do.” She panicked with every breath growing shorter, claws extending from her fingernails. "Did I ruin his life!” Matty watched her pace back and forth, fresh concern mixing with a tired depression. Her hyperventilation grew worse, black stained the hem of her sweatshirt dress. Clutching her close to her chest, her sobs became wails. Matty shot me a sympathetic smile, his attention falling back on Lily. A chill had me turning my head, a lovely Victorian lady took a seat next to me. A little ghost boy ran about with Boomer, the icy chill devouring my hand the moment she cupped mine. 

“She will be fine. Hormones aren’t helping her depression.” She comforted me sweetly, her features looking quite a bit like Lily’s. “I am Victoria, her spirit guardian.” Her lips parted to speak, the bell ringing. Lucifer burst in, Matty remaining strong to his resolve of making sure Lily was okay. Crashing down across from us, a tall man with pristine golden waves and ocean blue eyes took the one seat left at my table. Unfolding his gray wings, his hand crossed politely. His anger could prove to be deadlier, the quiet kind delivering the sharpest bite. 

“I am Uncle Mike and I am going to run over some rules with you.” He uttered sternly with a natural smile, raw terror shaking my hands. “If you dare lay a hand on her or harm her in any way, your head will become wall art for me.” Lucifer smacked the back of his head, low growls rumbling in each other’s throats. Burying my head into the table, a gentle hand on my shoulder shut the chaos down. Lily's dejected smile met mine, her eyes lingering on the tattoo of a bite mark on the top of my hands. 

“Sorry for losing my cool. That job offer still stands. My father used magic to clean up your apartment. I utterly destroyed it while killing that thing.” She pleaded with a grimace, the depression hiding in her understanding gaze. Bowing her head in shame, fresh tears glistened in her eyes. Cupping her hand, our bond seemed closer but not too different at the same time. Flashing her my real smile, the saddest thing for mankind to ever bear witness. 

“The job sounds great. Thanks for cleaning up my apartment.” I returned with another sincere smile, the chair groaning the moment I rose to my feet. Getting on my knees, random tears splashed onto the floor. Helping me to my feet, her fingers wiped away my tears. How could one person be forgiving especially with my sin that stained her life? 

“I don’t get you. My dumb ass murdered your parents and took everything from you.” I choked out through a wall of fresh tears, her hands dropping to her side. Staring numbly at the floor, guilt ate at me with how distraught she became in seconds. Collapsing into the nearest chair, a sad smile brought a little bit of life back to her eyes. Holding her bump, her broken expression refused to leave me. Matty gave her a cup of tea before taking a spot at the table with Lucifer and her family, his fingers drumming on the table. Engaging them in a separate conversation, the deliberate sip of her tea spoke of fraying nerves. Sitting on my haunches, below her was where I belonged. 

“Redemption! What does that word even mean?” She chuckled lightly, her fingers drumming to the same rhythm of Matty’s drumming. “People deserve a chance to make it up to the person. You risked your life for mine and I didn’t know what to do. Turning you into one of my demons was selfish. I should have asked if you wanted to go to Heaven.” Mistake, this wasn’t a mistake. Resting my fists on my lap, a poisonous silence tainted the air. Say something, you idiot. Why can’t you say something? 

“You don’t have to speak. I can’t understand where you are coming from but let’s make all that shit water under the bridge.” She chirped cheerfully, Matty asking if she was hungry. Putting my finger in the air, now was my time to shine. Grinning ear to ear, my cooking would be her treat. Excusing myself to cook a meal for everyone, Lily caved with a groggy yawn. Spinning over to Matty, her head rested against his chest. Smiling softly to myself, a wife like that would be a gift. Alas, such a reward wasn’t deserved. Burying myself into my cooking, ingredients became a nausea friendly stir fry. Checking my clock, the short time it took me impressed myself. Placing a pot holder underneath the wok, everyone gasped at the wondrous smell. Setting a spot, embarrassment darkened my cheeks at the lack of a spot for me. Lily summoned a chair, a silent thank you left her lips. Noodles splashed onto plates, enough for seconds sizzling in the bottom of the pan. Piling some noodles onto my plate, Lily urged me to eat. Hesitancy burned in my eyes, my fingers dancing along the fork. Picking it up, a pleasant conversation broke out. Lily became animated in an instant, this setting being her little slice of Heaven. Asking me a couple of questions, the others accepted me with ease. Finishing up my plate, her worry for me was a foreign thing. Offering to do the dishes, no one protested as I followed her. Dumping the dish detergent into the sink, water splashed as the dishes sank to the bottom. 

“Do me a favor and make that for my deli.” She ordered playfully, focusing on the plate in her hand. “In fact, go wild and make a few specials. Keep the basics and have fun.” Tears dissolved the bubbles, her hand raising before I could apologize for the millionth time. 

“Stop saying that. My hatred for you died a long time ago.” She protested with a broken grin, my heart breaking for her. “What I don’t like is you thinking that you are a monster. Enough. Take your second chance and be the best chef you can be. Dry the dishes for me.” Nodding my head once with my real smile, her warmth was unlike any other. No wonder this group had been drawn to her, her aura melting away any anxiety.

April 26, 2024 15:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.